What can 1,583,053 people do?

luigi_vampa's Avatar luigi_vampa9/12/14 7:15 am
1 emeralds 2.2k 85
9/15/2014 7:45 pm
-Baron's Avatar -Baron
A collective love of MC has brought 1,583,053 together.

Now what? I've heard so much in the last few days since the words Microsoft and Mojang appeared in the news together about the Minecraft community and I'm wondering what we as a 'community' are capable of. It takes only one person to make a difference so what can a million and a half people do?

For example:

What would 1,583,053 signatures do for these people? Just for those of you that won't click the link. A candian/australian mining firm is taking the government of El Salvador to tribunal for $300 million because they didn't like being told they weren't allowed to dig up the country for profit at the expense of the lives of the people who live there. Their quarterly profits are supposedly more important than the rights of those people!

http://action.sumofus.org/a/el-salvador-mining-lawsuit/

Well, 1,583,052 because my name is already on it.

So...
What's this community worth?
Please take a moment to think about what collectively that many people could achieve. Post your ideas and for the love of a complete stranger sign the petition!
luigi_vampa
Level 52 : Grandmaster Dragonborn

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/15/2014 7:45 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Guard
-Baron
Locked. Don't start flame wars.
09/14/2014 11:13 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Pixel Painter
TheMCBros99
Death threats? I never said I would hurt you. I said what IF something happened to a relative?
09/15/2014 12:06 am
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
TheMCBros99
Magicman88999Meh, doesn't affect me.

I hope your water supply gets contaminated and your on the near death. And then you try to get help. I will be there drinking water saying, "Meh, doesn't affect me"

I'd say that's pretty close.

I'll be signing the petition in a bit. Kind of a random thing for PMC, but definitely very important. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Vampa.

Edit: Signed.
09/14/2014 4:48 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
I feel like we should let the UN should deal with this.
09/13/2014 4:13 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
paintsniffer
Signed dawg
09/13/2014 3:56 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Banana Doctor
Signed
09/13/2014 3:49 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Greybolt
Signed.

Regardless, we should push for an international court to indict Oceana Gold on reckless endangerment charges.
A contaminated water supply is perfect reason to deny them access to land.
09/13/2014 2:16 pm
luigi_vampa
I believe that the average of players logged in to pmc floats at about 5000 so there's currently around 5000 at least here and online.
Take a moment all of you please.
09/13/2014 2:13 pm
luigi_vampa
They need less than 38,000 signatures now to reach their target.

http://action.sumofus.org/a/el-salvador-mining-lawsuit/

Click to reveal
Wednesday, September 10, 2014
(Ottawa) Nearly 150,000 people have already signed an online petition directed at the Australian-Canadian firm OceanaGold urging it to drop its suit against El Salvador.

Secret hearings will begin on the case at a little known investment dispute tribunal housed at the World Bank in Washington, on Monday, September 15th.

OceanaGold bought into the suit when it purchased Vancouver-based Pacific Rim Mining at a firesale price last fall. Pacific Rim’s only project in recent years had been to punish El Salvador with legal proceedings for not having granted it a mine permit. The company is suing for $301 million, despite never having fulfilled the basic regulatory requirements to obtain a licence to build its El Dorado gold mine. The government of El Salvador has already spent millions fighting this case — money the tiny Central American country urgently needs for social programs and infrastructure.

A rejoinder filed this July by the state of El Salvador with the International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), where the case will be heard, outlines three prerequisites that Pacific Rim Mining failed to meet.

Pacific Rim did not hold land titles or landowners’ permission to mine in most of the area for which it had requested a concession;
Pacific Rim’s Environmental Impact Study for the project was never approved; and
Pacific Rim did not submit the required feasibility study.
The same document describes how company directors preferred to lobby for changes to El Salvador’s mining law – including appealing to the Pope – rather than live up to national norms.

For the last decade, mining-affected communities and broad segments of Salvadoran civil society, including the highest echelons of the Catholic Church, have categorically opposed industrial mining in El Salvador due to concerns that it would contaminate the country’s most important water source, the Lempa watershed. In 2008, the Salvadoran government introduced a de facto moratorium on large-scale mining that two successive administrations have maintained.

Protests and petitions calling on the company to drop its suit take place today in Toronto and will continue in Canada, the US and Australia throughout the month of September.
09/13/2014 11:42 am
luigi_vampa
Fighterbear, Shady. Thank you too.
09/13/2014 10:56 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Signed it already.
09/13/2014 10:52 am
Level 20 : Expert Dragonborn
yyyyer2
Vamp! I will for sure sign it
09/13/2014 11:42 am
luigi_vampa
Hello mate, how you keeping?
thanks
09/13/2014 10:44 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Musician
Fighterbear12
Signed
09/13/2014 10:31 am
luigi_vampa
More signatures please!
09/12/2014 10:42 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Warrior
ICHGArmy1
we could take over a country remake it into a selfless carefree environment and start researching on more efficient power sources economically take over the world and shape it as a whole into a better image
09/13/2014 5:11 am
luigi_vampa
Solar FREAKIN' Roadways! haha

[yt]qlTA3rnpgzU[/yt]
09/12/2014 9:49 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Dragon
Capritorne
signed
09/13/2014 5:12 am
luigi_vampa
thanks Jassassin.
09/12/2014 8:49 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
Mastergabe2000
Play a game of Pokemon that would be even MORE chaotic and unbeatable then Twitch Plays Pokemon
09/12/2014 8:29 pm
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
You do realize a lot of members are Level 1s who registered and never touched their account again, inactive members who no longer use the site and people who don't visit the forums
09/12/2014 8:43 pm
luigi_vampa
Yes, of course.
09/12/2014 8:33 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
ChaosExpert
Hey! I'm a level 1 and I'm active!
But yeah, most of the 1 mil+ people are inactive.
09/12/2014 8:45 pm
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
Sorry, didn't word that very well, I meant the people who just registered and never did anything, so they're Level 1
09/12/2014 8:16 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
So is my signing a petition going to do anything? Is the government going to be like "Wow, 1.5 million people don't like this. We're just going to drop everything and stop and waste money to please 1.5 million people?" I'm not saying I'm against the idea and I think what they're doing is wrong but I don't really think a petition will fix this problem.
09/12/2014 8:42 pm
luigi_vampa
It all adds weight to the cause.
09/12/2014 8:20 pm
TheMCBros99
Petitions can make the US government influence them for not allowing it, or cause a trade ban... But can you sleep at night, knowing you have the chance of saving kids lives, but don't?
09/12/2014 8:06 pm
TheMCBros99
BreakingElm641
Wow, what a bunch of great people.
Why does everything think that signing a petition is sure to do something? It's not. It almost never is.

And, it really doesn't affect me. At all.

What if your brother died, and you wanted to arrest the murderer. And you needed signatures for it, but no one cared. And your little 4 year old brother, who is so cute, is now dead. Because it doesn't affect us all right? Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean you don't do anything about it... Because if we don't stop said thing, it will then affect you in the future.

Wow, dem feels. People like you are the reason I still have faith in humanity :')

Thanks man, I mean its poor denfeless people who can't do anything. You don't even need to take more than 1 minute... To help save them... But it doesn't affect you? I just don't understand..
09/12/2014 8:04 pm
Level 21 : Expert Toast
BreakingElm641
Why does everything think that signing a petition is sure to do something? It's not. It almost never is.

What if your brother died, and you wanted to arrest the murderer. And you needed signatures for it, but no one cared. And your little 4 year old brother, who is so cute, is now dead. Because it doesn't affect us all right? Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean you don't do anything about it... Because if we don't stop said thing, it will then affect you in the future.

Wow, dem feels. People like you are the reason I still have faith in humanity :')
09/12/2014 8:00 pm
TheMCBros99
Magicman88999
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99
I hope your water supply gets contaminated and your on the near death. And then you try to get help. I will be there drinking water saying, "Meh, doesn't affect me"

No. Never wish death to someone. NEVER. You don't know what death is like. Losing everything. No matter who that person is, or what they did, NO ONE deserves that.

09/12/2014 7:54 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
luigi_vampa
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99

No. Never wish death to someone. NEVER. You don't know what death is like. Losing everything. No matter who that person is, or what they did, NO ONE deserves that.

As much as I agreed with MCBros when he wrote that you are, of course, totally correct.

Wow, what a bunch of great people. Glad there's a community out there's a community here that doesn't bash on peoples opinions. Oh wait...

SuperSwoosh

Too many of these kinda guys on the internet, quite annoying actually.

kk, that's cool.

*EDIT: You voice your opinion on this site, and the next think you know, people are on your back about it, wishing you die from water poisoning. Yeah, great people.
09/12/2014 4:01 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Greybolt
On who's authority can this company sue? The international community would agree with el Salvador as it needs to put the well being of its people before economics. If the company is suing, they must have an angle of attack involving bribed judges. I would recommend a corruption probe.
09/12/2014 3:49 pm
Level 40 : Master Warrior
atabler
Siiiiinged! c: I hope this petition helps those poor poor people! Can't imagine living without clean water! Blech!
09/12/2014 3:26 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
Signed

-Kali-subtract the 250k alts/inactives first

^ so true sadly. [I have a guy who I subscribed to who's account was deleted and can't take him away ;-;]
09/12/2014 3:24 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
subtract the 250k alts/inactives first
09/12/2014 3:42 pm
luigi_vampa
If it's only 250k that's not bad. I was thinking 500!
09/12/2014 3:19 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99

Which is why I said I know what it feels like??

*sigh*... just, never mind. It's impossible, and useless to start an argument.
09/12/2014 3:11 pm
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Signed it, has a really good purpose. I don't understand how these companies can have the right to devastate the water areas in these countries, i'd say they should be sued and taken down for the act of killing thousands.
09/12/2014 3:00 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Kicktracer01
Signed it.
I think it a really great idea to post it here.
Minecrafters are one of the nicest folks out there.
09/12/2014 2:56 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ranger
SuperSwoosh

Too many of these kinda guys on the internet, quite annoying actually.
09/12/2014 2:47 pm
TheMCBros99
TheMCBros99
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99

My uncle died during 9/11. I know what its like.

Than you know what it feels like. The certainty that you will never speak, or see that person ever again...[/quote]

Which is why I said I know what it feels like??
09/12/2014 2:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99

My uncle died during 9/11. I know what its like.

Than you know what it feels like. The certainty that you will never speak, or see that person ever again...
09/12/2014 2:27 pm
luigi_vampa
VenomSniperwhat if I wish death on kim jong ul
will you be offended then?

Then you'd totally be missing the point of why I made this post.
09/12/2014 2:21 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
VenomSniper
NonExistingName
TheMCBros99

what if I wish death on kim jong ul
will you be offended then?
09/12/2014 2:09 pm
luigi_vampa
So....
that it then?
09/12/2014 1:12 pm
luigi_vampa
Floppypancake31How would Microsoft owning Minecraft make any difference? I'm not trying to say you're doing the wrong thing - standing up for what you want is great - but why are you bothered?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke.
09/12/2014 1:06 pm
TheMCBros99
Floppypancake31How would Microsoft owning Minecraft make any difference? I'm not trying to say you're doing the wrong thing - standing up for what you want is great - but why are you bothered?

The wha? Wrong forum
09/12/2014 1:02 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Dragonborn
Floppypancake31
EDIT: Minor derp.... sorry xD
09/12/2014 12:55 pm
luigi_vampa
As much as I love the enthusiasm Druxe it is a serious cause.
09/12/2014 1:10 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Cake
Druxe
I know it is, that's why I'm submitting a bunch of things.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome