What did I do?

Medieval-Sanity's Avatar Medieval-Sanity5/28/14 1:40 pm
6/1/2014 11:40 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
Ok, what did I do to my computer to have this happen? This is not my computer but this is what it looks like:
I am using a Dell Laptop. I don't know what to do and what is happening. I usually fix computer problems by myself but I can't move my mouse at all, but it stops after a few seconds, but it's getting worse, Like sometimes It just stays one colour! I'm worried that my computer may get stuck like that forever!
Medieval-Sanity
Level 20 : Expert Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/01/2014 2:00 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
TwistedOwl
Turn it on them off again
06/01/2014 1:53 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Crafter
Will3crafter
Click to reveal
Just bring it to Best Buy or something!
06/01/2014 1:48 pm
Medieval-Sanity
I showed to my dad this morning and he told me to do a disk cleanup. Will that work?
06/01/2014 4:28 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
How are you going to run Disk Cleanup when you can't see anything?

And no, usually some computer maintenance won't fix things like these. They're good for keeping your computer up and strong, but most certainly not solve monitor problems.
06/01/2014 4:53 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
"google run disk cleanup!"

(Yes, I know that won't work :p)
06/01/2014 2:06 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
No. A disk cleanup only works when your computer has so much crap on it that it becomes so slow that it would take a long while to do something like open a browser or something.

In your case, try buying a new laptop, yours is fried.

Also, how old is your laptop, and what model is it?
06/01/2014 2:16 pm
Medieval-Sanity
I got it in 2009, and it is a dell windows 7 home premuim
06/01/2014 6:48 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Windows 7 home premium is the OS, not the model
Do you know what the laptop is called?
06/01/2014 11:40 pm
Snowyfox
Par example, my laptop was the "Inspiron 14r" of its age, but the Inspiron series is a series of series of computers; the current 14r is different, cooler and much more powerful than my current one. My actual laptop's model name is N4010. What's yours, OP? Usually you can find them in a sticker, but it ain't hard to find them in the Properties menu for Computer and the such.

*EDIT* dxdiag shows it too.
05/30/2014 1:26 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Just ask some professionals, before you buy new stuff..... You might spend a lot of money for nothing if you go buying new stuff before you know for sure what the problem is.
05/30/2014 1:16 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
runesmite14
Those colored lines, usually have to do with a broken, or dying screen.

You mentioned your VGA port didn't have the screw holes on the side, that's fine, most laptops don't, but those are screw holes, and completely unnecessary for signal. You will be able to plug a stand alone monitor into that port. This is a crucial step for you to take in determining what your issue is.

Can you see any picture behind your monitor? Is your computer booting up?

I ask this, because, if you dropped your computer, and it has a spinning disk hard drive, you could have knocked it loose a bit. This would cause your computer to not work right. It could also explain why it works at some angles, but not others. A lot of new computers have HDD protection, but depending on the age, you may have messed something up tossing it that way.

Essentially, hook a monitor up to your VGA port and see if you still see those lines. You shouldn't. However, as others have stated, in this situation, you're probably best to go and take it to a shop so they can tell you what is wrong for certain.
05/30/2014 2:22 pm
Medieval-Sanity
My computer is booting up fine.
05/29/2014 11:25 pm
Snowyfox
That sounds like you completely bricked the comp then, if the sound card is nuked too (or the computer itself is spazzing).
05/29/2014 11:35 pm
Medieval-Sanity
When I plug my headset in, the sound is fine
05/29/2014 11:56 pm
Snowyfox
In that case, I can probably assume that...
(1) Your monitor is broken
(2) The speakers were on the monitor
(3) Because the sound was gritty, that meant the sound card was fine but the speakers were bricked
(4) If 2 is true, 1 is probably correct
(5) If all of the above are true, a monitor replacement is needed
05/29/2014 9:26 pm
Medieval-Sanity
also sometimes my sound is static like.
05/29/2014 9:07 pm
Medieval-Sanity
Maybe my dad could fix it...
05/28/2014 3:09 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
monte carino
Try dropping it again.. maybe that will help.. usually works for me xD
05/28/2014 3:44 pm
Snowyfox
Not quite. I was going to suggest opening up the computer; maybe the wire detached or something. That's what happened to my laptop a few days ago; I just asked my brothers to open it up and reconnect and rescrew the thing a bit, et voila, c'est finit.
05/28/2014 3:01 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
Nom900Take it to a local tech support center. Also, if you want to know all the specs on your comp, open the command prompt and run a dxdiag (just type that into the cmd prompt) and it will bring up all your computer's information. You should save it as a txt document on your computer for future reference, too.

dxdiag has just the basic info you should already know.
You'll want to run "systeminfo" if you want all that extra data.
05/28/2014 2:58 pm
Aethroz
After consulting my lunch, as I ate it, I have come to the conclusion that it is a connection problem. Your wires are screwy. Go to a small local computer shop (not Best Buy etc) and they will probably be able to fix it cheaply.
Tell them Aethroz(Aye-throze) sent you, and you probably wont get a discount, but it will make them have a confused look on their face. Plus there's an off-chance they do know me, or they'll pretend to know me, and you'll get a discount. Worth a shot.
It most likely is your wiring/the connection from Vcard to screen. Its possible your video card it self is messed up, but I doubt it, as the symptoms aren't consistent with that diagnosis.
05/28/2014 2:27 pm
Medieval-Sanity
I have a Pentium (R) Duel-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20 GHz
05/28/2014 2:39 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
That's your processor, not your video card.

Before you start trying to buy parts to repair it, you should take it to a local shop and have them diagnose what the problem is. Like someone else said, it could be a fairly simple $10 fix instead of costing your a lot more time and money getting a new GPU.
05/28/2014 2:55 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
Nom900
Exactly. Take it to a local tech support center. Also, if you want to know all the specs on your comp, open the command prompt and run a dxdiag (just type that into the cmd prompt) and it will bring up all your computer's information. You should save it as a txt document on your computer for future reference, too.
05/28/2014 2:26 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
DaRealDeal25
When you have an old computer it freezes. When it freezes you get frustrated. When you get frustrated you go fishing. When you go fishing you catch a big fish. When you catch a big fish you bring it home. When you bring it home you get mad at your computer. When you get mad at your computer you smack it with a giant fish and it breaks. Dont smack your computer with a giant fish, get rid of old computers and get a new one today!
05/28/2014 2:29 pm
Medieval-Sanity
05/28/2014 2:25 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
thats easy

you dropped it and the fall has damaged the cables that connect the computer to the screen

you can either

connect it up to a monitor using a VGA or HDMI cable depending on what sort of port you have

take it to a computer repair shop (i know for a fact the one near me replaces the cables for £10)

buy a new laptop,take out the hard drive of the damaged laptop and stick it in the new one
05/28/2014 2:12 pm
Medieval-Sanity
Also, can I download a video card? Is it a virtual thing or?
05/30/2014 2:33 am
Level 22 : Expert Cowboy
fartcrafter
no its a actul part of your computer
05/28/2014 2:14 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
No, it is a bit of hardware
05/28/2014 2:16 pm
Medieval-Sanity
Where can I buy one, and what one is best for me?
05/28/2014 2:26 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
it is alot lot harder to replace the video card of a laptop as laptops were not designed to be made up-gradable like desktops

if you want to replace the video card of a laptop you need to find one the exact same make and model as the current one in the laptop
05/28/2014 2:20 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
It depends on your laptop, very few are upgradeable.
05/28/2014 2:09 pm
Aethroz
AnimeTofu
( Me:) Although I have discovered something, If I put my Laptop on my lap, or a couch ( Dont worry I have a heat mat. ) It does not do the thing.

Hmm. Sounds like a heating problem.
(Yes nom, you said it first)
Do you use the heat mat when it is on the desk?

If you do, then the problem would be the angle. Hmm. I shall think on this.
05/28/2014 2:08 pm
Aethroz
Does the laptop have a VGA port?

If it does, borrow a monitor from your parent, sibling, or family computer, plug it into the laptop. Set it up so that it shows both screens the same (projector/presentation mode).
If it happens and only the laptop monitor goes funky, its just the laptop monitor, which you can get replaced at any computer repair shop, semi cheaply.(Or just use the computer monitor)
If both go haywire, then it is either your Graphics hardware messing up, or your OS. Test it, report back.
05/28/2014 2:15 pm
Medieval-Sanity
Sadly, it does not.
05/29/2014 9:17 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Does it have an HDMI out port?

If so:
Plug it in with an HDMI cord up to a HD TV or something. (Or HDMI supported monitor)
05/29/2014 9:23 pm
Medieval-Sanity
No, It has something like a Vga but no silver things at the end
05/28/2014 2:07 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Artist
Nom900
Could be an overheating or video card issue. Might be worth having tech support look at it (especially if it is still under warranty).
05/28/2014 2:11 pm
Medieval-Sanity
It should not be overheating, I have a Heatshift under my Laptop. Yes I do use the heat mat when it is on a desk/table
05/28/2014 2:03 pm
Medieval-Sanity
What were you doing when it first happened?
What have you been doing when it happens again?
How long does it last for?
Do you get any error messages?
What version of windows are you running?
You said worse, is it more frequent, or lasting for longer?[/quote]
I only dropped it once, not very high, onto the couch, long ago, nothing went wrong. What I have been doing is just about anything at all, even nothing, it lasts for 5-10 seconds, no error messages, Win 7, and by worse I mean both.[/quote][/quote]

It's definitely the monitor, go get a new one.
If you don't have a monitor, go get one and hook it up. That should *MOST LIKELY* fix it. It looks like the monitor is confused about the signals that are coming from the computer, so getting a new one, that isn't confused, would make it fine.

( Me:) Although I have discovered something, If I put my Laptop on my lap, or a couch ( Dont worry I have a heat mat. ) It does not do the thing.
05/28/2014 1:58 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Gent
fase
AnimeTofu
AnimeTofu
AethrozDid you drop it.

You said worse, is it more frequent, or lasting for longer?

I only dropped it once, not very high, onto the couch, long ago, nothing went wrong. What I have been doing is just about anything at all, even nothing, it lasts for 5-10 seconds, no error messages, Win 7, and by worse I mean both.

It's definitely the monitor, go get a new one.

If you don't have a monitor, go get one and hook it up. That should *MOST LIKELY* fix it. It looks like the monitor is confused about the signals that are coming from the computer, so getting a new one, that isn't confused, would make it fine.
05/28/2014 1:54 pm
Medieval-Sanity
AnimeTofu
AethrozDid you drop it.

I only dropped it once, not very high, onto the couch, long ago, nothing went wrong. What I have been doing is just about anything at all, even nothing, it lasts for 5-10 seconds, no error messages, Win 7, and by worse I mean both.
Oh, sorry when it first happened when I booted up my Laptop
05/28/2014 1:49 pm
Aethroz
Did you drop it.

05/28/2014 1:53 pm
Medieval-Sanity
I only droped it once, not very high, onto the couch, What I have been doing is just about anything at all, even nothing, it lasts for 5-10 seconds, no error messages, Win 7, and by worse I mean both.
05/28/2014 1:45 pm
Medieval-Sanity
Bump?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome