What is Art?

2 emeralds 33 replies 135 views | started 12/07/2017 2:31 pm by TomConn
Hello there! :D
So I've been curios to ask this question for a while, and the title kinda says it all: What is Art?

This is to be understood in: What do you think is art? Is it games, is it music, is it a Dance? Whatever it is I would really like to hear what you consider to be 'True art' and why of course.

I'll start!
All Music is ART!
All music is art. I'm a person who creates music myself, and when you start to really get into the world of Music, even some of the worst music (Worst in the understanding that either the Lyrics / Beat is or sounds cheap) can be called art.

And why?
Because art to me has always been about "What does it make You feel / think" and if music can make you start a discussion, then it's usually good music! By feelings the two best examples I know are: Thomas Bergesen (Two Steps From Hell) - Heart of Courage, which can bring in a feeling of being proud, while others may feel oppressed by the sound, or bored from the violins.

Turn it around, and I'll say Lil Pump - Gucci Gang. A song where a lot of people will start singing along, and have the feeling of happiness, while others (including myself) will look away in disgust and close our ears.

No matter how bad I think a song may be. If it makes me feel something, even the smallest thing! Then I'll call it art!
Posted by avatar
TomConn
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Puncher

33 replies

12/08/2017 1:37 pm
Level 1 New Miner
uglyboi
12/08/2017 2:03 pm
Level 36 Artisan Pixel Puncher
TomConn
Indeed the best kind of art :'D
It's so beautiful!
12/08/2017 12:59 pm
Level 1 New Network
Skiji
everything is art to somebody.
12/08/2017 1:13 pm
TomConn
But what is True art to you and why? O:
12/08/2017 1:28 pm
Level 1 New Network
Skiji
Anything made for a reason can be considered art.
12/08/2017 7:45 am
Level 24 Expert Pokemon
Knux
Depends on what you think art is
12/08/2017 12:56 pm
TomConn
But the question here is: What do you think is art?
Is minecraft Art, is Pixelart Art? Maybe you think that Sonic himself is a piece of sacred art! O:
12/08/2017 1:22 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Geek
xXGothicXx
Pixelart is called pixelart for a reason XD
12/07/2017 9:01 pm
Level 5 Apprentice Explorer
Fade IN
I am Art XD
12/08/2017 12:59 pm
TomConn
The best kind of art ;D
12/07/2017 7:32 pm
Level 44 Master Dwarf
spires33
to me in order for it to be art, you have to put your heart into it. and honestly not much of what is being made today is art, not many people put their hearts into it anymore it is just what is going to make them money.
12/08/2017 1:04 pm
TomConn
But doesn't that depend on what genre of music (as an example) you're talking about?
Because: Sure we have the artist where they don't really put a lot of effort into it, however the producers do, but look at the newest album from Falling In Reverse: Coming Home (One of my personal favorites! ) In that album, there has been put so much of the frontman's ( Ronnie Radke ) soul into it, telling the world how he's gone from being a complete psycho into someone who actually cares about people :)

So doesn't it depend on which kind of 'Art' you're looking at? o:
12/08/2017 3:57 pm
Level 44 Master Dwarf
spires33
Oh, I did not say that there is no art being made. and I love that album from falling in reverse! Pretty much the only art anymore is rock metal or punk rock. and sometimes rarely rap.
12/07/2017 5:46 pm
Level 22 Expert Blockhead
Nitwick
If I'm being simple, it's pictures and paintings and such.

If I'm being more broad, I'd say it is everything that has 'heart' at the core of its creation. Something that has tons of time, effort, etc put into it. I would never call a 5 minute whim, a half ass job, or a mass produced creation of monotony art. It's something that, in my book, has to be worked for, even - if I'm being extreme - bled for to have a soul of its own.

^ Hard to articulate, and it probably doesn't make much sense.
12/08/2017 12:55 pm
TomConn
It does make sense, not to worry there. What my question would be here though is:
If a piece of art, whom someone put a butt-load of work and time into, becomes a mass-procued product for companies like IKEA (They do this a lot :D ) then would you still consider it art?

Because correct me if I'm being stupid xD But dosen't "A mass produced creation" still count, even when a company buying the rights to something, someone put a lot of effort into, then re-sells it? o:
12/08/2017 1:10 pm
Level 22 Expert Blockhead
Nitwick
In my book (which is greatly different from others, so you can only take it so far), art loses its value when it does become mass produced. The effort becomes spread across every clone of the same thing, so the individual worth of the art is lost to a mere fraction. I don't consider it art when it becomes a product, basically. By their vary nature, products are attempts to do the minimum amount of work (buy something initially original) and then sell it for maximum profit for as long as it goes on the market. Eventually, a product just loses its value. Art can last far longer - as long as it isn't subjected to marketing and branding and everything else that defines a product.

If it started as art, then I think it can lose that status if the creator decides to sell it. Then it will become a product, and I consider the two terms to mean things that are contradictory to each other.
12/07/2017 9:46 pm
Level 31 Artisan Vampire
Sunstroke
Simple: art is expression.

Anything you use to show expression is art. Acting, music, painting, sculpting, etc.
12/08/2017 12:58 pm
TomConn
Then if I may ask (To keep discussion going) What kind of expression is in pieces of art such as: Untiled (Stoffbild) by Blinky Palermo show? o:
12/08/2017 9:05 pm
Level 31 Artisan Vampire
Sunstroke
I believe you answered this question for yourself in another reply. You know what answer you're looking for, so I don't think there's any need for me to be part of a discussion. :)
12/07/2017 9:42 pm
Level 17 Journeyman Architect
PixelNinja112
Personally, I'd say it has to be pleasing, to the eye, to the ear, to the brain/senses, etc. Music does this, paintings do this, video games can do this (which is why I consider them art). It's kind of vague, but that's because art's so subjective, It's kind of hard to make an absolute rule on what makes it and what doesn't. It's like critiquing music, you can get technical about it being funky or sad, but in the end that's based on your feelings, and not anything objective.
12/08/2017 1:01 pm
TomConn
So the art has to be pleasing to the eye, to the ear, and for the brain.
Now just to be a total butt :D

Then does that mean stuff like: Noise music, will not be counted in as a form of Art?
Or does it mean that a disturbing looking painting, which you quite frankly don't want to be looking at, isn't art? :o
12/09/2017 10:35 pm
PixelNinja112
Not sure how to answer that. It's just that art is so feeling-based, it's hard for me to put a concrete line which defines art. But, if the noise music is what I think it is, then I'd say no, if it lacks the ability to please or satisfy then I wouldn't consider it art. The painting depends on the quality, because quality also has a factor in whether I'd consider it art.
12/07/2017 6:48 pm
Level 34 Artisan Botanist
candle_
This is the exact question a lot of modern art wants to make people consider - And it's a really great one to think about. Dictionary definitions become far more unimportant here, because for every rule anyone tries to put on what art is, someone will find a good way of breaking it. As you said, you consider music art - So would I. This breaks free of a strictly visual definition for art.

For me, art is a term to be used incredibly liberally. I don't care how quickly something was made or how "poor" the quality - If it can reasonably considered art, whatever!
12/07/2017 9:44 pm
PixelNinja112
The only thing I don't like about modern art is the fact that you have to pay to see it in museums or pay to have it on your wall, when sometimes there's so little effort or quality to it, but it gets a pass because "art is subjective".
12/08/2017 1:08 pm
TomConn
But does that count for all modern art?
Sure while pieces like: Untiled (Stoffbild) by Blinky Palermo looks like there was just about no effort put into them, when you look into the story behind it, and what it's meant to show. You begin to see surprisingly more stuff in that one painting :D
12/07/2017 5:51 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Geek
xXGothicXx
It is really opinion after you say music and, well art is art, i personally think it also could be a creators work, video games could be considered art to their creators, but not to the player, custom made dolls, could be art to their creator, but not be art to others, it's simply all opinion. I personally think these things are art.
12/08/2017 1:09 pm
TomConn
Then is there stuff where you think: Well that deftly is Not art! No way!
Like Noise music :D
12/08/2017 1:21 pm
Level 18 Journeyman Geek
xXGothicXx
I think most things creators make is art, my point was that it's really all opinion, some could say video game creators aren't artists.

Search

Browse

Site

© planetminecraft.com

Welcome