What is gender?

5 emeralds126 replies443 views
Jimbug started 1/10/22 6:38 pm history
dreamCritting replied 1/13/2022 4:21 pm
Seriously though... What is gender? It used to be defined as a person's biological sex, but now that has more or less changed. I am curious what defines gender and what you guys think of the issue.
I am finished replying to comments, if you want to read about my opinion, follow the bellow link.
Read this link to understand my position.
Posted by avatar
Jimbug
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

126 replies

01/13/2022 4:21 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
dreamCritting
dreamCritting avatar
Locking thread before things get too far out of hand.

Nobody is getting banned here, you are all entitiled to your own opinions and having a civilised discussion is fine, but this thread seems set to decend into fighting if it continues.
01/13/2022 3:38 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
SrSandmann
SrSandmann avatar
A miserable little pile of secrets.
01/13/2022 3:28 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
AdriDaProGamer
AdriDaProGamer avatar
stop writing paraghraphs ppl the short answer is: nobody cares lmaoo
01/13/2022 3:12 pm
Level 28 : Expert Birb
Silent Times
Silent Times avatar
gender is obama
01/13/2022 1:23 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Sweetheart
CaelChan
CaelChan avatar
Why does it matter? If someone is happy saying they are a certain gender, shouldn't that be up to them? Why are others policing how others feel? If you think it's silly or wrong, keep it to yourself, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is less human because they use differing pronouns.
01/13/2022 1:40 pmhistory
Level 35 : Artisan Soldier
US marines
US marines avatar
i agree with caelchan freedom is a god given right and no one should be able to try and take it away from you
01/13/2022 1:30 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
Why are you being so accusatory to me? I am not trying to control or police anyone; I am merely stating my opinion.
01/13/2022 1:36 pmhistory
CaelChan
CaelChan avatar
Because this is a minecraft fansite? Not twitter?

And because as someone who does not identify with their birth sex, it is frustrating to see. Yes you are entitled to your own opinion but calling it "illogical" (the article you linked) carries negative connotations and devalidates those who are not what you believe.
01/13/2022 1:42 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
Just because I said something that made you upset for some alien reason does not mean I am being unfair, rude, or discriminatory. I have the right to disagree with your beliefs. It is called 'freedom of speech' and 'net neutrality'. If you aren't going to read my link, https://aeon.co/essays/the-idea-that-gender-is-a-spectrum-is-a-new-gender-prison, I can't make you understand where I am coming from.

Also, don't bother reporting this thread. I read the rules and it does not violate any of them. This just a respectful, friendly debate.
01/13/2022 1:51 pm
CaelChan
CaelChan avatar
It is invalidating to those who fall along the spectrum. Yes you can disagree but in a respectful way, rather than considering it illogical. I read your article, it just picks apart grammar and word choice. Let an individual feel how they feel without saying that its wrong for them to feel that way. It's wrong to you. Let it stay there.
01/13/2022 1:58 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
Listen, Captain Justice, I am not trying to offend anyone by believing the way I do. I am not in any way, shape or form being disrespectful. I wish with all my heart that you would point out in a quote what I have said that is in any way rude. Also, you apparently did not read the entire article because A: there is no way you could have read all that in 5 minutes, and B: the part about the grammar is literally the first or second paragraph. If you are not willing to recognize that we can disagree on an issue without disrespect on either side, I have no respect for your opinion.
01/13/2022 1:17 pm
Level 44 : Master Mage
Prince Ren
Prince Ren avatar
Lots of well-thought-out and knowledgeable answers have been given, such as what mcrjellyfish (apologies for the @ in case it's not appreciated) and a few others have said.

Gender is a social construct, to put it simply. As explained by others, it's how people feel. And it's real, despite what some may argue.

Gender isn't just an LGBTQIA+ thing either. Cis men and women identify with what they were assigned at birth, which is the gender they feel is right for them, lol. If you're a cis man, your biological sex matches up with how you feel and what makes you comfortable.

Gender, as mentioned previously, has to do with how people feel. This includes whether it makes them feel comfortable or not. Now, some people may be alright with this, but others not. Let's use an example: If a cis woman (a woman who identifies with assigned gender at birth) is referred to as a man by everyone around her, including name, masculine pronouns (he/him), etc. she may end up feeling extremely invalidated and uncomfortable; she should be seen and referred to by how she views herself; a woman.
As I mentioned, some people may not feel uncomfortable if this were to happen, but many people do. I know my family wouldn't appreciate it if I did that to them.

For people wondering what Sex is in this context, it's based on biology and there are more than just two (2) sexes. I don't feel like getting into this, though, so feel free to google it yourself.

I'd like to include that Gender is completely harmless. Whether you think it exists or doesn't, respecting people is the least you can do. You wouldn't take away someone's human rights for them liking the colour red when you like blue. This is how people feel about their own body, not anything to do with you.

You can find more examples and information on trusted sites, by people who experience all of this first-hand, which is 99% of the time someone within the LGBTQIA+ community.

*As someone who partially identifies as nonbinary (demi boy) and feels no other title properly explains how I feel, I can assure you all of this, at least for me, is 100% accurate. Other folks within the LGBTQIA+ community may disagree due to their own personal experiences.
01/13/2022 2:26 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Procrastinator
mcrjellyfish
mcrjellyfish avatar
this is really well spoken and explained
01/13/2022 1:35 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
I am done replying to things in this thread, but if you want to read my opinion summarized, read the articles tied to these links. If you don't read them thoroughly, you won't understand where I am coming from.
https://aeon.co/essays/the-idea-that-gender-is-a-spectrum-is-a-new-gender-prison
https://www.heritage.org/gender/commentary/transgender-ideology-riddled-contradictions-here-are-the-big-ones
01/13/2022 1:40 pm
Prince Ren
Prince Ren avatar
Glad to hear you're making a personal decision for your own well-being.

Considering the way you responded to others' comments, I can see where you're coming from and what your views are. You're invalidating transgender people as well as anyone who isn't cisgender, and your actions are transphobic.
I'd highly suggest reading into some proper, credible websites written by people who have experienced this or those who support the LGBTQIA+ community.

Thank you for your response :)
01/13/2022 2:19 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
I have literally done three months of research. If disagreeing with the positions of transgender people is transphobic, I deserve that label. But that's the thing, it's just a label that doesn't change anything about me, just like gender identity. What makes a trans person trans and not just someone who isn't like others of their birth sex? What is the difference between tomboys and trans men? Answer in concrete terms which are easily understood and I will agree with you. So far, gender seems to be nothing but a meaningless label. I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a world where husbands and wives become 'significant others' and mothers and fathers become 'babas'. I am a teenager fighting against these ideas as a PROUD conservative (no, I hate Trump). I wish trans people no hatred. If they wanna be trans, by God let them. I do not give a crap.
01/13/2022 2:29 pm
Prince Ren
Prince Ren avatar
And I've been doing research for the last five years. "What makes a trans person trans and not just someone who isn't like others of their birth sex?" -- that's basically what it is. Gender isn't personality or stereotype, it's how someone feels deep down. I think you should believe someone who's experienced it first hand rather than someone who has not, not websites or people who likely don't support it and don't bother properly looking into it.

I'm glad you wish trans people no hatred, and in doing so, they deserve to be given the titles or labels they want. You don't have to be called a significant other, or a baba. Other people have all freedom to be called that, though.
You can be called a mother or father depending on what works best for you. But just as you don't want to be called that, these people don't want to be called certain labels :) Hope that makes sense.
01/13/2022 2:40 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
It does, but I am going to be blunt. Human beings have been just fine for thousands of years with only two genders, and I don't see why we have to make changes. In my opinion, changing your gender is just as weird as changing your eye color or skin tone. Between your legs you either have male organs or female organs unless you are the infinitesimal minority. My argument is that gender is a collection of social roles and behaviors that are traditionally associated with one's sex. Why would you need to change anything about yourself to be who you are? Why can't we just let human beings have unique personalities without saying that there's this magical 'deep down' thing that determines who we want to be? If a girl wants short hair LET HER HAVE SHORT HAIR without her saying she's a 'demi boy' (whatever that means). Why can't a guy like pink without bein a 'demi girl'?
01/13/2022 1:10 pm
Level 22 : Expert Procrastinator
DontAllowMe
DontAllowMe avatar
Sheeeesh, theres a lot of replies on this thread
01/12/2022 1:12 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter
Glittering_Unit_534
Glittering_Unit_534 avatar
Our mindsets need to be changed. One must adapt spiritually believed gender, and physical genetical gender assignment, or reassignment.
2 states exist... physical and beyond that.
01/12/2022 1:07 pm
Level 20 : Expert Theorist
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
Definition of Gender today: Communist brainwashing

Definition of Gender previously: Whether you were born Male or Female
01/12/2022 1:10 pmhistory
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
Also being Autistic doesn't affect it... ever (and yes I'm autistic [​barely but whatever] so I would know)
01/12/2022 1:31 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
Trashcan Man
Trashcan Man avatar
It actually does but continue on.
01/12/2022 1:46 pm
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
Alright, let's pretend that everybody on earth has a computer for a brain. For our purposes here let's define normal people as people born without mental disorders. In normal people, the yellow wire connects to the yellow port and the red port connects to the orange port. However, in autistic people lets say the yellow wire connects to the green port and the red port connects to the red port. Essentially Autistic people see the world differently and to a certain degree function differently. This might mean an Autistic girl doesn't like some of the girly girl stuff like makeup and painting your nails (I personally don't see any point in it atm). This does NOT make these girls any less feminine. I, unfortunately, cannot make an example for boys since I am not one, but I think you get the point.

Just because I am not interested in the same things most girls are and am interested in things that boys are more stereotypically interested in does NOT make me some in-between gender, it just means I have different interests and tastes.
01/12/2022 6:11 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
Trashcan Man
Trashcan Man avatar
Well as someone that has autism, specifically low functioning aspergers. It does influence my view of gender. But yet again continue on.
01/12/2022 6:43 pm
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
I've never actually been diagnosed so idk where I land on the scale. I do know that it affects my ability to make friends and that I don't understand what most people get, and that I embarrass myself all the time without even being aware of it. But I've never thought that it affected the way gender works. I mean in my world you're either male or you're female, and to be frank my world's been shattered by too many other things for me to really compromise on the concept. However, if my argument above didn't convince you of my beliefs then ig just hold on to yours.
01/12/2022 1:12 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
What does it have to do with communism?
01/12/2022 1:14 pm
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
Well, one of communism's goals is to destroy the nuclear family. (Man+Woman = nuclear family) If you confuse what gender actually is you ultimately end up destroying the nuclear family.
01/12/2022 1:15 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
I smell a republican. Am I right?
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
indeed you would be right
01/12/2022 1:13 pm
Level 45 : Master Sailor
Papa Enny
Papa Enny avatar
Some of the gender people are loving communism(even telling that the USRR was wrong made XD)
01/12/2022 1:19 pm
GlacierArts
GlacierArts avatar
People like the idea of equality, what they don't realize is that equality makes everyone equally poor. Sin nature, however, creates greed and that greed means that those in political power under communism are the only ones allowed to be rich. Communism also spends money on things but does not allow progression which leaves the poor more destitute than they were before.
01/12/2022 1:36 pm
Level 45 : Master Sailor
Papa Enny
Papa Enny avatar
We will never reach equality, even now
One person is prefered, other is hated
01/11/2022 10:29 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Mage
Psychic5
Psychic5 avatar
This thread literally just exists to fuel fire...
01/11/2022 10:29 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
You're right, lol. This is probably my last reply.
01/11/2022 5:46 pm
Level 41 : Master Wolf
Hardcrafter
Hardcrafter avatar
Honestly, gender is a bag of worms which confuses the absolute hell out of me, at least the modern usage of the term.

They say that gender is a social construct, which would imply that it is subjective, however, gender traits seem to be based upon the objective biological sexes.

Essentially, under modern usage, gender can mean basically anything.
01/11/2022 5:49 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
BRO! I totally agree! I think we should just call it 'sex' instead of gender, as the definition has changed. I think gender theory is a bunch of bologna. THERE I SAID IT. MY CHEST IS CLEAR.
01/11/2022 6:08 pm
Hardcrafter
Hardcrafter avatar
That's the thing though. The modern definition of "gender" has separated itself from the definition of "sex".

If my understanding is correct, the modern use of "gender" is the part of our identities that is unrelated to our personalities.

Even then, defining it that way leads to even more confusion, because it's inconclusive on what makes someone a "man" and what makes someone a "woman" outside of biology.
01/11/2022 6:11 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
That is why I believe in binary gender. Because personality is too often associated with gender. I prefer to use the term 'sex' as that removes a lot of the confusion.
01/11/2022 5:38 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Wolf Whisperer
Rakkitatoru
Rakkitatoru avatar
I personally think that gender can mean your gender identity or your biological gender. It just kinda depends on the context. Like if someone were to say, "I identify as male", that just means that they feel like they are/should be male, despite if they are biologically male or not.

I think that people's opinions on what defines gender depends on their level of knowledge of gender identities and stuff like that.
01/11/2022 5:42 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
As someone who has done a lot of research on the topic, I think the definition of gender has changed a lot. There are only two sexes. I used to think there were only two genders, but society now thinks there are lots, and that has just perverted the definition. According to society's logic, gender is just a label used to describe someone's personality.
01/11/2022 5:14 pm
moodsirens
moodsirens avatar
i think gender is stupid and we should get rid of it in favor of dressing however we want to dress up
01/11/2022 5:17 pm
moodsirens
moodsirens avatar
also anytime i think about gender it feels like *sorting algorithm noise* it might be because like im autistic i experience gender differently than others but like i guess im feminine but not exactly a girl but definitely not a boy or someone androgynous

to be honest i identify more with literal black holes regarding gender this isnt a joke im making a xenogender
01/11/2022 5:18 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
.......what? What is a xenogender? moodsirens
01/11/2022 5:27 pm
moodsirens
moodsirens avatar
essentially genders that dont fit the binary of boy or girl or in between

i dont really think its harmful but it does help me understand my own identity a bit better
Level 14 : Journeyman Crafter
Glittering_Unit_534
Glittering_Unit_534 avatar
My personal view is that we are all the same. Fighting for the saving of differences is where conflict begins. We are ALL human. It should be left that way.
01/11/2022 5:28 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
Ok? But what is a gender? I also have two autistic friends who both agree with me on my position.
01/11/2022 5:32 pm
moodsirens
moodsirens avatar
a label

thats pretty much it

also like not every autistic person is like bound to have similar experiences or views to eachother btw sorry if i sound passive aggresive
01/11/2022 5:05 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
blob_
blob_ avatar
there are around 72 genders and they describe how you feel as a person and what you want to be identified as. there exist 4 pronouns without counting the neopronouns, and there exist 3 sexes (aka. no no square). you have to remember that gender =/= pronouns, sex =/= gender. they are all 3 seprate things. with gender you can be born as a woman, as a male, or an intersex person, but you can change that as you grow up and you decide do you want to stay this way or you want to change it and then you have a lot more options. sex also can be changes but its not that easy as just saying that you perfer to be called a woman for example. this is why its devided so situations like "oh you don't have a dick so you must be a female" don't happen anymore. some people find it wrong taht this many genders exist when there were only a couple a few years ago but that's because people create many new gedners to express their true self and it's only happening now because more people are getting aware of why we should respect the lgbt community and not burn them on a hay stack. i was talking about pronouns because i also wanted to say that just because someone uses he/him pronouns doesnt mean he has to be a man. it sounds kind of crazy and confusing but once you understand it more it suddendly becomes easy. holy shid i accidentally wrote an essay
01/11/2022 5:50 pm
Hardcrafter
Hardcrafter avatar
72 genders?! I'm sorry but I understand where two of them come from but where the heck do the other 70 come from?
01/13/2022 12:30 pm
Level 25 : Expert Toast
blob_
blob_ avatar
people create new genders to express how they feel. most of them are pretty unpopular and unused but they exist
01/13/2022 3:57 pm
Hardcrafter
Hardcrafter avatar
Problem is, at what point do these new genders become a parody of itself?

I'm sorry but someone calling themselves "creepergender", which indeed exists apparently, seems like they're just mocking people who are actually suffering from gender dysphoria.
01/13/2022 4:15 pm
Prince Ren
Prince Ren avatar
It's hard to tell from an outside standpoint (I'm aware I said I would stop lol, but your question seems genuine and nothing that would spark an argument, and I hope my response helps clear up some confusion).

This is how i see it:
If something is created and is used only to mock people (and it's obvious. I.E. if people are spreading misinformation regarding it and using it to invalidate people, for example, the "I'm a helicopter" term was often used to invalidate people who identified as something other than their assigned birth) then that's when it's a parody and harmful.

However, if something is created and seems to be a parody, but has nothing related to being a parody or harming folks, then it should be fine. I personally don't mind what someone wishes to call themselves, even if I don't fully understand how they feel, just as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Thanks for asking this question, though! It's really good.
01/11/2022 6:06 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
It makes absolutely no sense.
01/11/2022 5:37 pm
Jimbug
Jimbug avatar
Also, from a writer who has published a short-story and written poetry, your grammar had several flaws.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2022
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome