What's the best coding language to learn?

MCVenomNetwork's Avatar MCVenomNetwork12/27/15 12:12 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 63
1/6/2016 5:24 pm
deadrecon98's Avatar deadrecon98
At school we are currently learning Python and it's great but it's boring as hell.
I want in my own time at home to learn a language that will be useful for me.
I want to be able to create games.
I know they take years of hard work to create and games like GTA V use custom engines ETC but I won't be making huge games, I will only make small games and programs.
Java?
C++?
I have no idea's of games yet but knowing a language is better than not knowing a language.
Once decided what language to learn I need a way of learning it.
I know about code academy and code school but apparently they aren't very thorough.
I need a way of going from 0% knowledge of a coding language to 100% and being fluent with it , (books / Websites).
Is there any websites out there that are free that are actually able to teach you a coding language.
MCVenomNetwork
Level 27 : Expert Creeper Hugger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/27/2015 12:25 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
C++ is the language to go for if you are interested in:
a) performance
b) flexibility
c) power
d) finesse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvC1WCd ... 8440AA6B83
12/27/2015 12:27 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Thank you , If more people recommend C++ then I guess I will go ahead and learn it. Thank you for replying.
12/27/2015 12:28 pm
Konrad
No problem.
12/27/2015 12:28 pm
Level 40 : Master Droid
Scott
Not Java. My reason:

It needs the user to have Java installed, and doesn't run directly. This makes it slower.
C (family) is quite similar, and I would recommend it.
12/27/2015 1:47 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I guess I'm not going toward's Java at the minute then.
I may do in the future for minecraft mod's and Bukkit plugins.
12/27/2015 1:56 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Hey Sodex234 Nice to see you here bit off topic but how are you? and would Java being slower make a difference in a small program?
12/27/2015 2:00 pm
Scott
Im good thanks, you? Java being slower doesn't make much difference in a small program; however in large ones its noticeable (*cough* Minecraft *cough*). And, like stated, the user needs Java installed
12/27/2015 2:08 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I'm good aswell thanks , What about the non Java minecraft version , How does that work? Is java built into the minecraft files or is it coded in another language (I doubt this is the answer.)
12/27/2015 12:29 pm
Scott
So basically C++
12/27/2015 12:31 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
SteveTuckPlays
If you want a thing that works on all systems, Java.
12/27/2015 12:34 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Prisonnightmare
I dont know, I heard that java isnt the best coding language to use if your wanting to make games. in my opinion I would just use C++
12/27/2015 12:35 pm
Scott
No no no. The user has to install Java 1st; and it doesn't support ALL systems.
12/27/2015 2:05 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Thank you for replying. I have seen a fair few reply's talking about learning C# and C++ so I may take that road. I may go Java in the future so that I can join Minecraft modding community
12/27/2015 12:36 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Time12+
I would preffer C++. It is a little bit tough to learn when you first start. But as time goes and more you practice you will realise how easy it is.

And for learning, personally, I would say to find someone experienced with C++, cuz online courses may look like it, but you will find yourself hard time to really master the language. While when you learn from someone experienced it will be easier cuz he/she will be able to explain it at the spot, which will prevent some mis coding in future.
12/27/2015 12:54 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Mramazing10
I would HIGHLY recommend python because it is simple BUT powerful. There is so much you can do with it. To learn how use it use https://www.codecademy.com/ or buy a https://www.raspberrypi.org/. if you don't want python use https://www.codecademy.com/ beacuse it is free and very good!
12/27/2015 1:13 pm
Scott
Did you read what he said??? Hes done Python, he wants to move on
12/27/2015 12:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
I'd recommend learning C# and messing around in Unity if you want to start making games. The first language I learned was Java- I started programming by making Minecraft mods. But I've never used Java in any other projects, and I dislike the language quite a lot (the same goes for JavaScript, I just don't like it). Also, when people start telling you to learn C++ they're most likely not programmers. In my experience, anyone who tells people to use C++ doesn't actually code and has just heard of C++ online and that it's what the "professionals" use. Trust me, it's a nightmare. The worst experience I've ever had with it was trying to program around sockets/ports and it just overcomplicated simple tasks. So seriously, don't use C++. It can be a very powerful language, but not for everything.
12/27/2015 1:52 pm
Konrad
C# is similar to C++ so if he learns C# it would be easier to learn C++ and i played around with C# And C++ and they are similar but also different.
12/27/2015 1:54 pm
MCVenomNetwork
As you are agreeing with him I guess C# and then C++ is my way to go. Thank you for helping me , Both of you!
12/27/2015 1:56 pm
Konrad
No problem.
12/27/2015 1:52 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Thank you for your very though out reply , I've read all of the replies to this post and a few do say C++ but they don't give detail as to why they would suggest it. I'm guessing they are the people you spoke about who have googled around and saw that C++ is the "best" language to use because professionals use it
I will take a look into C# and Unity and If I enjoy it I may move onto C++ and Java (just for mine craft mods as I would love to join the mod making community)
12/27/2015 3:54 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Welp, I'd call you an information troll if this wasn't on Planet Minecraft.

Don't listen to this. C++ shouldn't be your first language (well, it's pretty advanced and hard to learn). Java is a nice first language.
12/27/2015 4:56 pm
Level 22 : Expert Modder
Lacuna Corporation
Did you actually read a word of what I said? I quite specifically told the OP not to learn C++ first.
12/27/2015 5:04 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Except he was vouching for learning C# within the context of the Unity engine, and not C++. Which is exactly what I've done, it's probably not the most efficient way to learn, but Unity's extensive documentation does make it relatively easy (emphasis on relatively) to get started. It's not the "correct" way to learn, but it can get you in the programming mindset without too much pain, and puts you in a decent position to tackle something more advanced.

Not to mention messing around in Unity is perhaps the most enjoyable way to learn.
12/27/2015 5:27 pm
MCVenomNetwork
So much debate and so many opinions on weather Java or C++ is better and what to learn first.
I really do guess I will learn both of them , Atleast that way I know 2 languages and once learned I really know what language I will use when making a program and game as I know what is going to be easier and more manageable.
12/27/2015 5:23 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I have seen 1 little tutorial for Java so far and it looks pretty easy to learn the basics. I've made 1 plugin so for but bukkit. I know it's not much and not proper Java but I guess it's helping in a way.
12/27/2015 1:18 pm
Level 27 : Expert uwu
ryanslikesocool
C++ is overall one of the best all around. If you are a Mac user, I'd suggest Swift, since it is the basic language now for all OS X apps. If you're interested in making simple games, go with either Unity or GameMaker
12/27/2015 1:48 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Do you have any experience with C++?
12/27/2015 2:10 pm
Scott
Java version: all coded in Java
PE ect: A total re code in C++
12/27/2015 2:15 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Windows 10 verison?
They can be bothered to port it but can't be bothered to change the menu screen
12/27/2015 2:21 pm
Scott
C++
12/27/2015 2:26 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Thats cool to know , I guess it will run faster on my slow laptop
12/27/2015 2:59 pm
MCVenomNetwork
What would be the best way for me to learn C# and C++
Book?
Website?
If it's a book or website could you please be specific
12/27/2015 3:11 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Programmer
kmecpp
If you're interested in learning how to program simple games i would definitely recommend http://processing.org. The language is written in Java and it really is just Java, but makes it extremely easy to design visual effects or games and is an amazing language for starting learning object oriented programming and other topics.

So far C and Java have been suggested. I personally like Java more due to its much more visually appealing code, simplicity, and a lot because of my experience with it. C is technically more powerful but that's definitely not something you need to concern yourself with for programming simple games. C is 'lower level' (closer to the hardware) than Java, and is the closest most programmers ever get to the hardware. Java itself was written in C. If you do decide to choose the C path, I recommend starting with C and not C++ for multiple reasons which you can probably just look up. C# is a whole different story and a language you might see combined with Unity to create fully fledged modern FPS games. Although as already stated, Java is technically 'slower' than C because the code isn't directly compiled into machine language but bytecode which is then run, for games created by anyone less than big companies, its not much of a concern. This is actually one of the greatest advantages of Java because it makes the language platform independent (the same code will run on any machine which has Java installed) which is an advantage C languages do not have. "Slower code" should be of very little concern, your game is not going to be laggy just because its not being directly processed by the computer. See this stackoverflow question http://bit.ly/1qoheWK if you want some more information.

Regardless, I still recommend Processing. It takes very little time to learn how to program simple games, but if you want to do more complex stuff then Processing might start to become a bit of a hindrance, but it really wont matter because by then you'll already have a pretty decent grasp of Java
12/27/2015 3:21 pm
Level 1 : New Architect
Tuckermarley
I beleve Javascript is for games, and Python and Ruby are for databases, so, if you want to make games, i would try Javascript
12/27/2015 3:29 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Java is for games.
JavaScript is for websites
12/27/2015 3:32 pm
MCVenomNetwork
kmecppIf you're interested in learning how to program simple games i would definitely recommend http://processing.org. The language is written in Java and it really is just Java, but makes it extremely easy to design visual effects or games and is an amazing language for starting learning object oriented programming and other topics.

So far C and Java have been suggested. I personally like Java more due to its much more visually appealing code, simplicity, and a lot because of my experience with it. C is technically more powerful but that's definitely not something you need to concern yourself with for programming simple games. C is 'lower level' (closer to the hardware) than Java, and is the closest most programmers ever get to the hardware. Java itself was written in C. If you do decide to choose the C path, I recommend starting with C and not C++ for multiple reasons which you can probably just look up. C# is a whole different story and a language you might see combined with Unity to create fully fledged modern FPS games. Although as already stated, Java is technically 'slower' than C because the code isn't directly compiled into machine language but bytecode which is then run, for games created by anyone less than big companies, its not much of a concern. This is actually one of the greatest advantages of Java because it makes the language platform independent (the same code will run on any machine which has Java installed) which is an advantage C languages do not have. "Slower code" should be of very little concern, your game is not going to be laggy just because its not being directly processed by the computer. See this stackoverflow question http://bit.ly/1qoheWK if you want some more information.

Regardless, I still recommend Processing. It takes very little time to learn how to program simple games, but if you want to do more complex stuff then Processing might start to become a bit of a hindrance.

Thank you for that. There is alot of debate between going C , C# , C++ and Java + unity. I guess I will go Java as that way I know a language that can be coded for games and minecraft mods and bukkit plugins. once I am satisfied I shall go onto C++ and thank you for replying and showing me this website.
12/27/2015 3:48 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Mage
ssproad
I say go java. It's really a popular language. For every fourth(or something like that) java version they improve the speed. It supports a wide varyity of operating systems like Android, Windows, OS X(Mac) and a lot of different linux versions.

For making games there are libraries like JMonkeyEngine(Personally i don't like that one), LWJGL(Light-Weight java game library), Libgdx, etc.

You can also run java applets in browsers.

The garbage collector may be a bit bad but for Java 9 they are switching to another one.

There are faults with all languages. Try different ones and find the one you like the most.
12/27/2015 5:22 pm
MCVenomNetwork
Nice to know they are optimizing the language. I may get into it sooner then.
12/27/2015 3:52 pm
Level 28 : Expert Architect
darksoulsisthebest
Definitely Java.
Java is very similar to C++ but has way more functionality and flexibility.
Most people have Java nowadays anyway, so its not like its a burden on them to download Java to play games, since most already have it.

GOOD LUCK
12/27/2015 4:23 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
CourtezBoi
You have to install C++ for it to run, just like java. Open your Programs in the control panel and you'll see that you in fact have several Visual C++ libraries installed to run C++ programs.

If you're specifically learning to code for the purpose of creating games, then look into the game engine you want to work with before the programming language. For example, if you are going to use Unreal Engine, then you'll want to learn C++, If you're going to use Unity on the other hand, it's scripting is done with C#. Java would be something like jMonkeyEngine or the likes, Java is mainly used in game development by smaller indie engines, the larger ones use Microsoft supported languages, therefore the C language.
12/27/2015 5:30 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I'm new to coding as I have only ever learned python. What is a engine ? I know that GTA V and other big games use them but what are they and what are they specifically used for and what do they do?
12/27/2015 4:31 pm
Level 24 : Expert Nerd
_Insane
I suggest C++, but first starting out I used Unreal Engine 4, which does support C++, and Blender.
12/27/2015 5:16 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
kristinnvikar
c# is what i recommend to start with
12/27/2015 5:28 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I've been told to start with C# 2-3 times now. I may go ahead with it at I have seen a few people start with it and enjoy it as their primary language. I would never pick it personally as I know that C++ has more people using it and that it's very similar to C#
12/27/2015 5:59 pm
MCVenomNetwork
I still need to know the best way of learning.
Youtube video's?
Books?
Websites?
I really don't mind if the video/book/website is language specific as I'd prefer to learn Java or C++ or C or C# as they seem to be the most prefered.
12/27/2015 7:03 pm
Konrad
I would say youtube videos and books but also i would try learning it your self after you got a basic idea if you can't do that then use videos and books imo.
12/28/2015 3:30 am
MCVenomNetwork
Alright thankyou , I do very badly when learning code myself so I guess I will have to use books and video's
12/27/2015 10:03 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
PanPany
Go with C++
12/28/2015 3:30 am
MCVenomNetwork
I don't see why I should go with your idea.
You have not given detail as to why I should use it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome