Which ones are programming languages?

planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter5234211/3/14 2:28 pm
11/5/2014 11:55 pm
FCCAGut's Avatar FCCAGut
I am curious after seeing a lot of people thinking HTML and CSS are programming languages, so I am starting a poll to gather some statistics on it.

Simply select which ones you think are programming languages.

Rules
- Vote on your own knowledge, and not using any other website or search engine.

I am keeping a spreadsheet of stats as well.

For discussion for the topic, you can say why you think they are, or even give information on what each is.
Posted by planetminecrafter52342's Avatar
planetminecrafter52342
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/05/2014 8:41 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Well I suppose I will close this topic off with some information. For anyone wondering if a language is a "programming language", it must have Logical Operations. Such as if((1+3) >= 4).

For people who are misinformed about HTML being a programming language, think does it have logical operations? No it doesn't. Yes it can use Javascript inside HTML, but that is JS itself, and not HTML.
11/05/2014 11:55 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
FCCAGut
That's too easy. That can apply to anything. Is using a calculator programming when you add and subtract? No, it was told what 1, +, and 2 was. Is "telling" a computer what a 1 is and a 2 is, is that programming? Yes, most certainly. CPU's don't understand anything besides binary. One could say such an ability to use logical operations are high-level (software) operations and not a fundamental at a low-level (hardware) level. Higher level languages can also "add" strings together which is what we call concatenation which is also done by a plus sign. The + and * means anything, they are just symbols programmed by programmers.

It's like if I showed you 2 fingers, one finger on each hand. You see "2" fingers in your mind, but you have to be taught that's a 1 and that's a 1 (the other fingers we don't see don't matter) and that equals 2 and that's how we see it in computers being everyday users. Not to be confused with true or false logic. Using the example of early computers using vacuum tubes, paper would have holes in them and the vacuum tubes were sensitive to light and wherever a hole was located it designated a "1". 0's didn't matter in calculating anything. A 0 can be thought of as a "ignore spot" and then it passes over to the next bit (and being a next spot in the base 10 system), possibly being a 1, and add the leftover 1's to that and there's your answer. If it makes programming sound simple yet overly-simplified, that's because it is but it does get fun when you learn how to manipulate all this.

Long story short, accumulators are used within a processor to do arithmetic, it isn't a function of the entire CPU (there used to be a special thing known as a co-processor that did this externally from the CPU). Commands like ADD and SUB store these values in these "special" registers. This of course applies to (CISC) mostly x86 based processors, not (RISC) PowerPC, ARM, etc. based processors. There are 4 common registers (or the general purpose registers) known as AX, BX, CX, and DX. AX I believe is the main one used for arithmetic and CX is the counter to move up and down.

Programming hardware is different than "programming" software. Computers are meant to be open and are not meant to be limited by software. True programmers can tweak and hack hardware, not manipulate software based on specifications set by others or else that's called developing, not programming. How can you program on a computer that you don't even know exists? It even took C++ to make Java. Here's the kicker, that means that the creators of Java were C++ programmers. Now what's a programming language?
11/03/2014 4:37 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
I voted without checking, but pretty much all but HTML or CSS. After looking at the first post, I guess I was right about CSS. I remember the first is because it's a Markup Language whereas CSS are just style sheets that work with HTML.
11/03/2014 4:28 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
The typical layman or beginner programmer is not going to know the huge difference no. That shouldn't be a huge shock it is like that for every single field of study.
11/03/2014 4:25 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
I think out of all of those, the only real programming languages there are Java, C++, and maybe assembly. The rest are scripting/mark up languages or something like that. Python is interpreted but I think it's earned its title as a programming language, and it has "de-throned" Java in terms of general use and educational use.
11/03/2014 4:07 pm
FCCAGut
Semaphorism
FCCAGut
Java is NOT a programming language. It doesn't program the CPU or any physical hardware, instead is interpreted (in most cases!) by the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). Java's source code isn't usually compiled to machine code, and instead uses bytecode.

It is a programming language, even though it is run under the JVM, it still does use instructions to tell what the computer should do. It all narrows down to using the processor either way. If I put int MyVar = 1 + 1; it would process that through the processor.

JVM is the "computer". It's similar running Windows under MacOSX using VirtualBox. A command line shell (for example bash) can add and subtract too and calling that a programming language is simply ridiculous. Where do we draw the line?
11/03/2014 4:02 pm
planetminecrafter52342
FCCAGut
Java is NOT a programming language. It doesn't program the CPU or any physical hardware, instead is interpreted (in most cases!) by the JVM (Java Virtual Machine). Java's source code isn't usually compiled to machine code, and instead uses bytecode.

It is a programming language, even though it is run under the JVM, it still does use instructions to tell what the computer should do. It all narrows down to using the processor either way. If I put int MyVar = 1 + 1; it would process that through the processor.
11/03/2014 3:54 pm
FCCAGut
Wow.....touchy topic for me. I am very strict with the names and the ways they work as far as which ones a programming language. Assembly is going to be the toughest because it is, if not THE, language every other programming language converts to. To be strict, we should ask ourselves if it has the ability to convert to ASM it is a true programming language. This can also be taken as a side effect to compile to machine code.

C++ is a programming language, it does convert to native machine code with a compiler.

As much as I am a Python user, I do not call that a programming language (Python knows what is is and Java wants to be everyone else). Like Java, it too is interpreted. Python is a bit "higher" on the language chain than Java and is regarded a scripting language. Scripting languages are not programming languages.

C++ and Python are my bread and butter. You could say Java could do a mix between Python and C++. I like these two and they make a good combination because if you want something fast and speedy and need the performance, go with C++. If you need something wrote quickly but don't mind the performance drop, go with Python. But it takes a lot of self control to use Python when you really need to use C++, it can get very addicting because you can write something fast. This is also good for managing multiple conventions instead of focusing on "one size fits all" (like Java) and can allow you to learn more languages easier. P.S. I hate Java.
11/03/2014 3:31 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dragonborn
darthwars
I know, and have learnt all but assembly, in which I have never heard about
11/03/2014 3:27 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
I don't have a clue. Not even sure why I am on this thread.
I would like to get around to start learning these kind of things but for now I am just going to stick to normal computer stuff. Meh, I wont need it for joining the police anyway
11/03/2014 3:23 pm
planetminecrafter52342
Gartonia
It is possible using the more advanced parts of CSS, PHP, and JavaScript to create a program, and there are websites dedicated to using this behavior. These languages do control how a computer interprets a file via a web browser. Finally, algorithms and calculators can be expressed using these languages.

I see what you're saying, and I agree with you. But, I also like to argue.

Of course you can create programs with those combined, but like CSS alone, it couldn't create something without the html to use the styling on.
11/03/2014 3:05 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Scribe
Gartonia
"A programming language is a formal constructed language designed to communicate instructions to a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs to control the behavior of a machine or to express algorithms."
-Wikipedia, the Programming Language page

Now, I know what you're saying, so I voted for C++, JAVA, Python, & Assembly, but given the definition above, all of the options can be considered a programming language. Here are the requirements for a programming language, taken from the quote above:

1. Formal, constructed language
2. Communicates instructions to a computer
3. Can be used to create programs, control a computer's behavior, and/or to express algorithms

As for number one, HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, & SQL are all formal languages and all are constructed languages.

All the aforementioned communicate instructions to a computer on how to interpret and display information in a .html, .css, .php, etc. file.

It is possible using the more advanced parts of CSS, PHP, and JavaScript to create a program, and there are websites dedicated to using this behavior. These languages do control how a computer interprets a file via a web browser. Finally, algorithms and calculators can be expressed using these languages.

I see what you're saying, and I agree with you. But, I also like to argue.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome