Why am I saddened by Mojang about the height limit?

Rafael_Carioca's Avatar Rafael_Carioca1/25/20 1:49 am
3 emeralds 1.2k 24
1/25/2020 10:21 pm
Drzzter's Avatar Drzzter
I am saddened by Mojang about this because imagination cannot be limited. And it doesn't matter if your opinion is to like the 256 blocks height, this is your opinion, not a unanimous truth, you build it your way and other players build it their way. It is not because you build small that those who build bigger have to build small at will, the guy wants to express the art in his own way, he wants to show all the hard effort he has when playing. But how will he manage to express himself artistically if Mojang does not make an effort to improve in this regard and half a dozen gives an opinion with empty arguments defending the 256 blocks in height and not an eventual extension to 512 blocks or more? We who work hard, who dedicate ourselves to the best of our ability and are prevented by this limit are excluded by Mojang and disrespected by those who do not want to understand us about a limit that prevents us from doing what we would like to do. There are modifications that make the limit go to infinity, but this modification hasn't been worked on for a long time, and it doesn't even exist for the version I play, nor for those who play in the latest versions. Then the argument of the counter staff will be which? Play in the version that has the modification? Build smaller? Don't build what you want? But aren't you depriving the person of being able to express themselves in their own way? What counts is your pierced and refutable opinion or the player's right to charge for something Mojang has already done on other occasions? Especially because everyone knows that the game did not start with 256 blocks in height. Why I'm saying this? Because I went through this situation in the past, where half a dozen people told me to change the game to a version that supports the modification that removes the limit, so that I could build a smaller one or that I shouldn't even build and that I should be content with the 256 of limit, and that is a lack of consideration not only with me but also with those who suffer the same as me. Imagine if someone who prevented you from playing Minecraft by building small, would you like it?

I intended to show the building I am going to show next as a project, but I cannot, because the height limit prevents me, besides that it would not be a cool thing to show as a screenshot of the project a screenshot made in MCEdit. I would like to be able to show in another session of the PMC both for those who love the building and the history of New York City and for those who like me build outside the standards of those who believe they are building 1 meter with 1 block and do not accept an opinion contrary to theirs.

See below why height limit sucks and why we need to ask Mojang to increase to 512 or more:

Because of Mojang's omission, I cannot continue my project, a project that I have the right to do and no one can say the opposite with empty arguments like the ones they told me in the PMC chat.
Rafael_Carioca
Level 41 : Master Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/25/2020 6:06 amhistory
Level 70 : Legendary Engineer
Bertiecrafter
Yeahhhh, it's understandable you do not agree on Mojang's priorities. But the truth is, you're not the only one expecting things from Mojang. They simply can't satisfy everyone, just like YouTube is always hated on, but still everyone keeps using it. As mentioned in a different comment, 256 is a power of 2 and therefore it's really easy to guess that it's a programming limit. The current world save format and mechanics are simply not built on integers supporting bigger ranges.

The only mods I could find is this one:
https://www.cuchazinteractive.com/tall-worlds/
And as expected, there is an entire page dedicated to a disclaimer on everything breaking.

Also, this one:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/opencubicchunks

Most likely having a lot of issues as well (even though this one doesn't have a big disclaimer)

From my limited knowledge and personal experiences in programming, I feel like it could be easier to simply increase the world height using a couple days of changing number types. But if I was coding it, I wouldn't feel like it's worth it. It could take days if not weeks of recoding, introduce tons of new bugs, just to have someone else post another complaint like this, because 512 or 1024 just isn't big enough. Also, world file sizes would double if height limit doubles and frame rate could drop dramatically since there are double the amount of blocks. Changing the world limit to a different static number is not worth it at all.

Making chunks cubic, introducing 3D on-demand world generation and 3D render distance implementation, has a way higher reward for every unit of time (as far as I know). However, that doesn't take away it would take ages to implement, revamping tons and tons of mechanics that rely on 2D world generation. One of the most obvious ones is light. Loading all chunks on the Y level just for a lighting update is just out of the question. The other option is calculating light based on the chunks that are loaded. Imagine you built a big tower, with Minecraft not having loaded the top chunks, would you be happy with the insides appearing all bright even though logically there should be no light entering your tower? Another one is always spawning on the heighest block if you don't have a personal spawn point set yet. Again searching all the chunks is not happening, so would you be able to love Minecraft if it were to spawn you into a cave right away?

The only option that seems remotely possible is creating a different world type, without world generation, without mob spawning, without lighting.... Just you and your blocks. This would maybe require an entire new game, since I doubt it could be coded to be separate from everything else in minecraft, but still re-using the code for blocks and their mechanics.

I don't think Mojang has the time to put effort into this, neither do I think this is really a priority and I also don't think Mojang wants to break what works (as good as it is now).
01/25/2020 1:04 pm
Rafael_Carioca
The game always had several light bugs before it was even enlarged to 256 blocks high. I even understand your point of view, but Mojang has full capacity to be able to develop Minecraft better, as explained by the boy a little while ago. I play containing light bugs a few times, but I haven't stopped playing so that's not stopping me from doing what I want.
Mojang has not had a specific priority for a long time, many of its updates are changes in texture, which has often displeased the public. When they are going to add something new, there are usually not many things, it is one or the other per update. Increasing the height limit is not the only thing that I have always charged from Mojang, I also charged for a greater diversity of blocks, trees, animals, etc. Only in these most recent updates have they added a lot of new stuff, but that doesn't change the fact that Mojang doesn't have any priority today.
01/25/2020 2:52 pm
Bertiecrafter
Fair point, Mojang does not have a clear priority, which makes the announcement of updates more fun. Every developer has priority, otherwise it's impossible to choose what to implement next. All I know is that this is not on that priority list and they shouldn't be put in a bad daylight for it. It's good that you want to raise awareness, but don't take it personal that Mojang doesn't implement what you want. The Mojang developers really don't deserve all the crap (of all players) that's thrown their way, I think they're doing a great job.
01/25/2020 4:30 pm
Rafael_Carioca
I have awareness, but what about them? Launching now what they could have released a long time ago, and the game is already 10 years old, even players who are developers produce more than they do in a shorter time, manage to manipulate the game without causing any light bug conflicts or something like this.
01/25/2020 12:49 pmhistory
Level 58 : Grandmaster Nerd
Terralon
Yes, people expect mojang to add a lot more to minecraft. However, there are some features that they should have had no problem implementing, features that people have been wanting for a very long time now.

A higher build limit is one of them. So are better caves and more building materials (which they kind of gave us), more birds and animals, more generated structures.. among other things.

How is it that independent mod developers or dev teams can produce more additions to the game and better updates in shorter amounts of time than Mojang can?

I believe Mojang has the people and resources to improve the game dramatically. Minecraft really is missing some key features and elements and they could add to that--But instead, we get bees.

Edit: Although, to be fair 1.13 and 1.14 were good updates. They did add some great stuff. I just really hope they don't drop the ball like they did in the past and hopefully the future updates are as good as 13 and 14.
01/25/2020 3:13 pm
Bertiecrafter
Honestly the devs of Mojang are probably on a contract working fulltime on Minecraft. It's not like they don't want to make the game amazing, just to bully their players. I feel like this just needs patience. They have been making like tons and tons of villager houses, I'd count that as structures. They added panda's, fish, phantom's all the pillagers and maybe other mobs I can't come up with right now. They don't fly, but they're still mobs. In short, you can't deny that a lot of content has been rolling out in the last couple updates.

1.15 was a smaller feature update, but you have to understand it's not all about seeing new things appear in the game. They fixed tons of bugs and also switched to a new graphics engine that caused multiple issues with lighting and layering of translucent blocks they had to fix. It's okay to focus on bug fixing during some updates.

Mod developers can do things way faster, because they don't have to do what Mojang needs to do. No fixing of already existing bugs, no satisfying tons of players at once (I feel like mod devs can say "If they don't like what I make, they can find another mod" easier), no making sure that nobody is going to be like "This is not minecraft" (which happens after every update anyways) and they don't have to ensure maintainability as much. I can imagine just focussing on what you want to implement (aka the entire point of the mod) is way easier than to focus on the entirety of Minecraft and its vision for the future.
01/25/2020 10:10 am
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper
thedarkcave
Even bedrock has cubic chunks! (Yes, I'm aware that bedrock is running on C++) And it's not like they can't do it since the modding community's done it before. I'm not hating, just sayin'... Maybe something that could make people feel better about what they have, consider that like 9 years ago, the build limit was 128... How horrific! (What a long rant...)
01/25/2020 11:35 am
Bertiecrafter
Bedrock does not have cubic chunks in the way I meant it, there is no infinite Y in bedrock editions, although maybe bedrock stores world files using a cubic-chunk structure. I acknowledged that mods have done it, but they aren't perfect and break things. Also yes, 256 is good enough for most things, which is a big upgrade from 128.
01/25/2020 6:33 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Imposter
The ExiIed FeIIow
0bviously. Even I am triggered by this.
01/25/2020 6:13 pm
Rafael_Carioca
Our community of builders will always be triggered about this as long as Mojang continues to pretend we don't exist.
01/25/2020 3:01 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
01/25/2020 10:21 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
Hi all.

This topic has served naught but to create arguments. Yes, a building height limit increase would be nice - yes, there are programming limitations in place that have been a hurdle for the developers when it comes to increasing that height limit. We can state these opinions without resorting to squabbling, but this thread has failed to demonstrate this ability.

I'm going to be locking this thread. OP's heart is in the right place, but we're just a bit too impassioned here.

DM me if you have any questions. Thanks!
01/25/2020 10:20 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Mage
DrFuzzyFish
I believe there's a mod out there that deals with your 'problem', Cubic chunks I think it's called
01/25/2020 5:10 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Spider Rider
InfamousArgyle
Mojang has the right to keep their build height at y=256 the same way you have the right to plan projects.
01/25/2020 6:08 pm
Rafael_Carioca
Your comment doesn't make sense, it can't be applied to Mojang because they are the developers of the game and, if they want to keep the profits they have, they need to continue improving the game, otherwise there would be no sense for them to release more and more updates, 1.14, 1.15, etc. When I spoke of my right, I was referring to other players who think that I should not express my artistic sense in my own way because of the height limit, but that I should change to a version that serves the modification that removes the limit, or that I build a smaller one or that I don't even build it, but then you are limiting the person himself, just as you would complain if someone stopped you from playing for building so horribly. In addition to the fact that you have no clue about the proposal presented by Mojang last year, asking players for suggestions on what to do for the next versions of the game. And I've seen many proposals from many players, very good proposals to make the game more realistic and more fun, as well as bringing profit to them. My desire to increase the height limit is not unanimous, but you cannot deny that a large percentage of the community advocates as much as I do that the limit should be at least 512 blocks high. And you have no right to want to exclude us because you like the limit on 256 blocks. If sooner or later Mojang finally sees that it is necessary to increase the height limit to make the game more dynamic (even because they know that there are those who play for survival and those who play for buildings), it will not be your empty opinion that will prevent it.
01/25/2020 6:59 pm
InfamousArgyle
If the limit's your problem, switch to another game.
01/25/2020 7:27 pm
Rafael_Carioca
Empty and stupid argument what you said. If I paid for the game, I am entitled like any other Minecraft player to ask Mojang for improvements to make the game more fun and dynamic. In the same way that if Mojang wants to continue making a profit with the Minecraft image, they will have to listen to fans of the game, Capcom is there as an example with the Biohazard franchise.
If you do not have decent arguments to bring, there is no reason to seek discussion with me, this publication is dedicated to players who go through the same situation as mine, and you are repeating the same ignorance that they had with me and I explained above in the publication.
01/25/2020 7:55 pmhistory
InfamousArgyle
Just because I only said a few words doesn't mean I don't have a real argument. When you paid the one-time purchase price you were given no guarantee of any progress. What has happened in minecraft in the past few years is actually amazing, even with no expectations for the future! EDITED TO ADD: and yeah minecraft has listened to a lot of people! I think it's great what they've done so far and there isn't a lot of real need to expand build height in most building cases. Limits force creativity!

I think if you didn't want to hear from people with different viewpoints as you, you should have chosen a different means of publishing your opinion. We all love to weigh in and as long as the comment section is open, I'll do so!
01/25/2020 9:20 pmhistory
Rafael_Carioca
No, the one who doesn't seem to accept the opposite opinion is you, because you feel uncomfortable enough to come here to comment on something that is not of your interest and try to make up arguments by throwing my words at me in your first comment. Staying prolonging a discussion about something that doesn't interest you and still suggesting that I stop playing, comment from a completely unbalanced person, practically saying that I cannot ask for improvements in the game but any other player can ask if the improvement is not related to height limit. Once again I repeat that if I, as well as several other players, paid for the game, we have the right to demand improvements to make the game more fun, and if Mojang finally listens to those who think the same as me, you will not be able to disagree , as well as at no time do I disagree with the thousands of good ideas from many players that were previously ignored are being implemented. No reason to keep disturbing me.

"Just because I only said a few words doesn't mean I don't have a real argument." - You don't said few words, you said a few stupid comments, and that one (OR, hear me out, man: Build all your REALLY tall buildings sideways!!! 😂😂) shows how stupid you are trying to mocking me for wanting something which gonna help me and a lot of players to have much more appropriate space for us to express ourselves the way we wanted to, you don't want because you have a very closed mind, very annoying guy. I could treat you the same way you did, but I will not lower myself to your level, it is best for me to ignore your spits.
01/25/2020 8:56 pm
InfamousArgyle
(I'm secretly wondering if there is any argument in your eyes that is valid XD)
01/25/2020 3:04 am
Level 31 : Artisan Professor
EndPlayz
I also think that they should increase the height limit, however they probably don't because of storage of chunks. Chunks are stored in a 16x16xheight limit area, and that can get too large to store quickly. The cubic chunks mod actually got around this by making the chunks, well, cubic, and thus also gave you 30m blocks y up AND down (below 'bedrock'), however that would probably f* up slime chunks and mobspawning in a significant way, which is why they might not do that either. But who knows, if we get enough people mojang might listen.
01/25/2020 9:32 pm
Rafael_Carioca
If it would probably f* up slime chunks and mobspawning, they would kept the original height limit. They have the ability to move the height limit again, the problem is the unwillingness not only of them but also of some players who seem to be prejudiced when we argue that Mojang could make this effort to increase the height limit. But God willing, if we make enough noise, maybe Mojang will finally hear us.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome