Why does evil exist?

Voice_Of_Autism's Avatar Voice_Of_Autism6/5/12 9:08 pm
6/10/2012 7:42 pm
Vrezh's Avatar Vrezh
I know I tend to start odd and seemingly out of place conversations on this site, and if that bothers the reader *assuming you knew who I was before this* then I apologize. My question is brought out of this though plaguing me recently and in spite of asking various priests, atheists, holy books, as well as my friends and family I have not reached an acceptable answer. So planet minecraft, with out responding to anyone else's "opinion" of why evil exists, why do you think evil exists, and how did you come to that conclusion. Please no arguing flaming or trolling, thanks.
Voice_Of_Autism
Level 8 : Apprentice Toast

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/10/2012 7:42 pm
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Nether Knight
Vrezh
Whether or not something is 'evil' is subjective.
It only exists if you want it to.
06/10/2012 7:40 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
FutureOfMinecraftia
If you ever hear the saying "there's no right without the wrong" you'll know.
06/10/2012 7:34 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
Evil exists because well there wouldn't be such thing as good if there wasn't any form of struggle we would have a boring life.

Like how exciting would it be if a Necromancer and a Paladin could walk into a bar and get along.
06/10/2012 7:29 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
AntVenom99
Evil exists so people can copy it and make COD
06/10/2012 7:22 pm
Level 26 : Expert Robot
Chick8ed
Cause, There would be no Bioshock, Fallout or Imfamous.
So yeah, you see where I'm going.
06/10/2012 5:59 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Grump
Pykes
I just read an article that basically ruins every claim about humanity causing evil, and proves it at the same time.

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html

To sum it up, humanity tends to act evil because it's physically impossible for any creature on earth to give a sh*t about every single member of it's species in the world. Animals seem less evil because they don't try to work together with their entire species. Humans do, and that tends to backfire a lot.

I would give that article a quick read, it's very interesting.
06/10/2012 2:10 am
Level 34 : Artisan Prince
Shanery
Evil exists because if there was nothing bad and you had everything, you would eventually get bored. Its like an easy game if you had no easy. Sure, a challenging game might annoy you and such, but it would keep you entertained. That, my friends, is why evil exists. You cant learn to love without learning to hate first.
06/10/2012 2:07 am
Level 35 : Artisan Dragon
Clue
Evil exist so good can.
For if you cannot see something as evil, you cannot see something as good, as there is nothing to compare it to.
06/10/2012 2:02 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
Minecraftian159
Evil exists simply because mankind exists. Evil is nothing without humans. A dog craps wherever, but man says its bad. Animals don't have the thought of evil they do as they please, but humans are the cause of evil. We say whats good and bad, so look at yourself closely and you will get your answer.
06/10/2012 7:17 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Pony
waterskier
If dogs didn't have a sense of evil, then there would be no pack leaders, and no pack. With no morality/sense of evil they would just kill each other.
06/10/2012 1:58 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
dragonfire5665
I consider EVERYTHING evil. The computer screen your looking at right now could kill you. Everything is evil. But honestly I don't think about it to much. In fact I just keep all the good things in life nearby me. So I just wonder around in reality. I don't think about it to much because then I get all world-weirdly... the fingernails right on your hand could kill you right this moment..FUUUUUUU i got world-weirdly again....
06/10/2012 2:04 am
Level 32 : Artisan Dragonborn
Roost3rMAN75
Objects are not evil for it is the people that create them for what reason is what makes them evil. Items are neither good or bad for they could be used as both. Simply, everything is evil at first, even people. It is your choice to be good or to be evil, even if you are against evil as a category you may be greedy or a liar or etc making you deny you are evil. Thus, you must have good vs evil for as a human species we will always have our dark thoughts and those lost moments that we wished we spent with someone or doing something. It is why we live, to learn the lessons of our life. If everything was perfect, what purpose would we have as a race? A race is called a race for a reason, it is a "race" and it is our job to pass that finishline and find out why we started in the first place. Evil exists for us to over come it..... And yes, I just pulled this out of my butt in 2 minutes.
06/10/2012 1:25 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Princess
Gulleye
I believe that evil exist's because everything must have a contradicting opponent. We can't have majestic life without grim death, or sublime joy without tedious hatred. It's just natural order!
06/10/2012 1:11 am
Level 28 : Expert Architect
Roran234
Well, let's look at it this way.

If there was no evil, what would be left to define good? In every person's POV, they all view as what they are doing "right" or "justified". Just like a religious radicalist views what he/she is doing is "right". It's not that they are "evil", we just choose to view it as such. Yeah, it's wrong, and shouldn't be done, but if we were put in there shoes, we would view it just as right as giving someone cash, when they really needed it. Without evil, there would be no good, but without good, there could be no evil. It is pretty simple to understand.
06/10/2012 1:03 am
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Bethamez
Because of human kind's stubborn, self-centered nature is why
06/07/2012 2:52 pm
Level 20 : Expert Cowboy
Syphearatix
Humans are better than all the other animals. They hate us for being better.
06/07/2012 1:28 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
Animatrix
Bottom line~ Lions are perhaps permanently turned on, and so strive to "bang other lion's wives", agreed?

Wait......what about Elijah_Blu? ._.
06/07/2012 4:28 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
Eli-samas like that to anima, you just haven't seen it yet.
06/06/2012 4:43 pm
waterskier
futurama!!!
06/06/2012 4:21 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
Gobble124
Evil is a opinion. If a war is breaking out both sides may Think they are Good and the other is evil. Hurting and Killing are a different matter. It is not Evil but a breaking of law. Cannibals are not evil yet they would be killed for murder. If you steal and rob you breaking laws. Evil is only a title given to Law Breaking that does not fit it. It gives people ways to say their cause is justice when they are breaking the law. You are not Evil if you Break a Law, you a simply a rule breaker. If you break a rule you get punished. So, to answer your question, Evil does not exist at all.
06/06/2012 4:24 pm
mist13
That only proves that evil is relative, not that its an opinion. Not only one side is right, they both are.
06/06/2012 4:20 pm
Animatrix
Ah, true. But does the hawk think "Ooh, lets go for a spot of genocide. It really brightens up my day" or "That gray spotted mouse thinks it's better than me, time to kill".
No is the answer. Only sick, radical beings like us do it for reasons other than survival instinct.
06/06/2012 4:29 pm
Pykes
Well said! Clearly our intentions are not as well justified, and we are much more evil than most of nature, but there are plenty of examples in nature that are not just "Kill to live." A great example would be lions! Very often the father of a family of lions will have to defend it's family against another male lion that wishes to steal it's mate. Should the challenger lion win the fight, it will most likely finish off the father, and kill the children so that it may start making more cubs with the female lion who's life it just won.

Now if some guy decided to kill another guy and his children so that he could bang the dead guy's wife, we would most likely consider that person to be evil. So is the lion evil or just trying to survive? Keep in mind that the lion could've just as easily found a female that wasn't taken.

(All this debating is putting a huge smile on my face! Haven't had a good discussion like this on PMC in a loooong time!)
06/06/2012 4:54 pm
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich

interesting point on the lion, made me think.
you would say that it only lives to live and to reproduce, then why take anothers lions life to steal his wifes?
i think it does that because of the fact that animals will do anything to survive and reproduce. the main ''goals'' of an animal are survival and reproduction right? to be sure his offspring survives, the lion takes as much wifes as possible.
but why kill the kids?
i think that has to do with another factor called the pack. a pack of lions is able to gather more food and is able to care for sick members. that is also why the lion kills the other lions kids, to make sure that it is ''his'' pack.

whew,
you can translate the behavior of the lion pack also to the behaviour of humans. humans are still trying to survive and reproduce. it might not seem like that but in the end, we still work to be able to take care of kids, and to be able to eat. the instincts of an animal.
then why do people get higher paid jobs to get more money?
in some way, that has to do with the maintaining of the pack, if you have money it gives you status, to have status means that you can ask favours of people, it means you get things easier in life. this makes it easier to survive. you have a sort of-pack.

then on the subject of evil.
why evil?
i guess that is a way to be able to get more riches or it means it enables you to get more status in a pack.

note that the packs i speak of here are more like groups of people with the same ideals, you have a ''pack'' called catholics, muslims, jews. you have ''packs'' in the form of neighbourhoods, communities. people are tied to different ''packs'' and that is why you sometimes see things that are some consider as evil, and some consider as good.
06/06/2012 4:14 pm
Animatrix
Lol^

But, no, fine sir(s). The hawk kills the rabbit for food. It grows up with one thing in mind: Kill the food, eat the food, do it again. It's inborn instincts are to survive, and it does so by eating-> killing.

We humans on the other hand already have killed our share. Is it evil that we kill pigs to eat them? No. Is it evil that we kill eachother for material possetions, greed, dishonesty- none of which exist in nature.
06/06/2012 4:12 pm
mist13
Evil is absence of good. Or is good the absence of evil? They are both a crude way of looking at things, but look for exceptions.
06/06/2012 4:04 pm
Animatrix
I think Oni said this above, but...

Evil doesn't exist in nature. Animals do what is necisarry to survive, that's all.
Humans created the idea of "evil", and display it often. We are the creators of evil, both the concept and the word. Only humans are to blame. We're torn apart in an endless battle between moving intelectually forward and being brutally dragged back by our instincts. We are opossing the systems mother nature gave us, in favour of technology. How long until technonlogy over-takes us?
06/06/2012 4:10 pm
Pykes
I agree with you that eventually technology will become our masters, but as far as evil within nature goes, it exists just as much as human evil does. The evil we perform is usually based off of the same survival instincts that animals have when killing and eating eachother. Rabbits probably find hawks to be just as evil as us humans because both kill rabbits. Mice most likely believe that cats, hawks, and humans are all evil creatures. Steve most likely believes that all hostile mobs are evil, and every mob probably thinks Steve is evil. It's all about perspective. You give nature too little credit, good sir.
06/06/2012 4:08 pm
Oni__
Yush anima! This is what I'm talking about!
06/06/2012 4:09 pm
Animatrix
^-^
06/06/2012 4:13 pm
Oni__
Philosophical thinking and stuff! And Pykes as we said Nature is all for survival, what we consider evil isn't for survival, someone murdering thousands is evil to almost all but they don't do it for survival.
06/06/2012 4:18 pm
Pykes
It may not be for survival, but there most likely is some twisted reasoning behind it. The need to perform such drastic actions for the sake of improving ones world is just as much a natural instinct as eating a dead animal. It's all in the pursuit of benefiting oneself. Whether that benefit comes from eliminating an entire race that seems to be ruining things for you, or preventing yourself from starving to death. It's just natural for any living creature to act in such a way. That's what I meant by "Based off of survival instincts"
06/06/2012 4:04 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Princess
Outercourse
Good and evil are just words - it's what you do that matters.
06/06/2012 4:41 pm
waterskier
I can't remember what thats from
06/06/2012 4:01 pm
Oni__
Aliens now look I'm not saying it was aliens but it WAS aliens. Now on a serious note

In my opinion to ask why evil exists you must ask why we exist, for without use humans there would likely be no evil, this is because the most evolved species then would be the ape, I think, and most things the animal kingdom happen due to the food chain and survival and we don't really have that pressure upon us. Now we have seen that without use there would most likely be no evil so we need to ask: Why do we exist, people say the meaning of life is to create more life but what is then the meaning of that life if it is not to create even more? Soon due to this we would destroy our planet therefore there isn't really much need to create more life if not to survive, now what is truly the meaning of life? We don't really know this, its a question we will likely ask even on the brink of our extinction and likely then find it and survive due to it. Now we ask why a human would commit "Evil" as it were, they may do it out of lust, jealousy or desire, they may do it because they have nothing more to hope for if they don't or maybe going to prison from ebony caught would be better for them. Anyway if we were to ask why we would commit "evil" We need to know why we exist.

And that is why I love philosophy.
06/06/2012 4:00 pm
Pykes
Good and evil are nothing more than opinions. Opinions based on the individuals sense of right and wrong. For the most part people will act as if those who perform actions which are beneficial to others is good, and those who act selfishly or harm others is generally evil. Almost anyone will tell you that Nazi's were evil, but to them they were ridding the planet of one of it's worst plagues, thus making them the good guys in their own minds. If a person ever tells you that they are an evil person without reason, they're full of sh*t because no matter what any person on the face of the earth does, it will always be with the intention to benefit themselves. Until a person explains their side of the story giving reason to their actions, it's very possible for others to view it as evil, but once the intentions are understood, evil actions seem a lot less evil most of the time.

tldr; Evil is simply an opinion based on a lack of understanding, or from being at the bad end of an action.
06/06/2012 3:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
GrimReepar
I say everything happens for a reason. Now, I'm no atheist, i simply don't believe in what is defined as a religion. I believe in a higher power, just not any current denomination of higher powers. Now, As said, Evil is in the eye of the beholder, but ultimately, Evil is what is seen as Evil by ALL PEOPLES. Murder, Theft, Adultery, you name it. Everyone, even those who commit it themselves know it is "Evil". And so it is Evil. As to why it exists? Look to the Brain. Look at Human Nature. Look at what we have done. Asking why there is evil is like asking why does one eat, sleep, and have sexual intercourse. It happens because it is in our nature. As such, there is evil because we are ALL inherently evil, although many tend to be more fit to control these urges of evil than others. And that my friends, is my answer.

Sincerely,
thedethbot
06/06/2012 3:40 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Modder
yocally
I am truly impressed at all the comments that you are getting here. Very philosophical for gamers... Anyway I agree with ultradoom5 and the other posts like theirs
06/06/2012 3:35 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
n1nja2na
Evil exists because the Devil is alive
06/06/2012 3:32 pm
Level 26 : Expert Lumberjack
jhask
Evil doesn't actually exist, at least not in a theoretical sense. Theoretically Evil would just be a lack of good. CONUNDRUMS FOR THE WIN
06/06/2012 3:44 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Toast
Voice_Of_Autism
Out of curiosity, does that mean murder is a lack of good? I mean it's an action so...
Oh and thank you all for being very mature about this and not ruining this post I am enjoying reading your thoughts on this. =)
06/06/2012 1:41 pm
Level 40 : Master Musician
c danovich
mehh, i think there could still be good without evil, since evil is just a term given to behaviour unaccepted by society or a group of people, when there is no behaviour that isn't in line with a societies policies, there is virtually no evil.
06/06/2012 1:29 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Enderdragon
sordxyx
With no evil there is no good so
there would be no Balance!

Balanced
!!!
!!!

No balance!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06/06/2012 1:25 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
ShakeyJake111
I agree with Brink its Ying and Yang man, no one would know what Good was if there wasn't evil. If evil didn't exist people would just grade how good something is from high to low, making the lowest evil anyway.
There needs to be balance.
06/06/2012 12:48 pm
waterskier
Fun fact- dragons are mentioned in a literal sense in the bible over 7 times. And unicorns are mentioned 6 times.
06/06/2012 12:42 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Architect
tufnut2crack
in the religions world:
In the philosophy of religion, the problem of evil is the question of how to reconcile the existence of evil with that of a deity who is omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent (see theism).[1][2] An argument from evil attempts to show that the co-existence of evil and such a deity is unlikely or impossible, and attempts to show the contrary have been traditionally known as theodicies.

There are a wide range of responses that have been given to the problem of evil. These include the explanation of evil as the result of free will misused by God's creatures, the view that our suffering is required for personal growth, the denial that God is omnipotent, omniscient, or omnibenevolent, and skepticism concerning the ability of humans to understand God's reasons for permitting the existence of evil. There are also many discussions of "evil" and associated "problems" in other philosophical fields, such as secular ethics,[3][4][5] and scientific disciplines such as evolutionary ethics.[6][7] But as usually understood, the "problem of evil" is posed in a theological context.*

*Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil
06/06/2012 12:38 pm
waterskier
I have seen some ignorant things on this so I'm gonna try to explain why ateists don't have to prove it. The null hypothesis states that if it has not been scientifically tested thus far, then the default is that the medicine will have no effect, or there will be no chemical reaction, and that no phenomena will occur. God is a magical entity, so he is a phenomena. And lastly I think we can all agree that the burden of proof lies with the person who has to disprove the default. Thefore the burden of proof lies with the Christians.
06/06/2012 12:27 pm
Level 43 : Master Toast
AYCStudios
i'm hungry
06/06/2012 12:20 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Sinclair
evil is what is not socially acceptable. the world wants one to help others. screw it. I will not bend down for others. call me evil, but I will not be controlled!!!
06/06/2012 12:25 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Dragon
peraldon
Sociel does not mean mainstream. Me myself am slightly anarchic and very consipitational. That is the type of society I live in. Not the normal 'mainstream' or governmental type of society.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome