Why do we kill people who kill people to show (READ ON)

Ultra_Gaming's Avatar Ultra_Gaming5/17/14 3:36 pm
1 emeralds 1.6k 38
5/22/2014 10:07 am
Aethroz's Avatar Aethroz
Why do we kill people who kill people to show them that killing people is wrong?
Ultra_Gaming
Level 20 : Expert Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/22/2014 10:07 am
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
Ok. Where to start.. Money!

Money:
A minimum security prisoner costs taxpayers an average of 89 thousand dollars a year. Yea, 89k. The median income in the US is 51k. Let that sink in. Read it again, I'll wait. .. .. .. Exactly. That is minimum security. It just gets more and more expensive as the level of security increases. Death row inmates can cost up to 2 million a year. This is due to the fact that if somebody is put on death row, their entire family, the victims family, and anybody who can claim "deep emotional or mental distress" is entitled to state paid visits to a psychiatrist. Death row inmates are also "entitled" to spiritual/faith visits, and visits from a usually government paid lawyer. You are paying for all of that. For somebody who ended another human beings life. You are paying for all of that. Paying for somebody who destroyed a family, scarred loved ones, by killing somebody. The cost of death by lethal injection? Drugs-$90ish. Tests, doctor bills, notary pay, and all the additional side costs that nobody mentions-250k.

Flaws
I believe in the death penalty, but I do not believe in the death penalty as it stands today, for a few reasons.
1: As Azie mentioned, you are putting a killer in an enclosed space with other people. That is horrible. If he kills somebody else in prison, that is our fault. We knew what he was capable of, and we knew that prison is not a "safe" place. Not everybody who is in prison is a terrible person.
2: If somebody is given the death penalty, they can stay there until they die of old age/natural causes. 43 years is the current "record". That is 43 years we were paying for somebody who had killed someone else. Disgusting.
3: Somebody can admit to killing another person, taking a guilty plea, and get life in prison. We have capital punishment, for capital crimes. If someone can smugly say "Yea, I killed her" and then get his rent, meals, exercise, air conditioning, and entertainment paid for, for the rest of his life, somebody is not doing their job.

Logic:
Prevention: Death penalty prevents even immoral people from committing murder. Even if you have no respect for any other human beings in the slightest, you won't want to kill, because it will also be the end to your life.
Freedom: Most countries are based in the belief of Freedom. If you take away somebodies freedom, that same freedom should be taken away from you. If you stole somebodies car, or punched a kid, you will have your freedom's removed, so you can think about your actions, and hopefully change your lifestyle. With murder, we do the same thing. You took freedom, we are only taking away exactly the freedom you took from them.
Justice: People hate that word, when used in conjunction with the death penalty. But I believe it is fitting. What is Justice?
Justice is.....
1.the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.
2.rightfulness or lawfulness, as of a claim or title; justness of ground or reason: to complain with justice.
3.the moral principle determining just conduct.
4.conformity to this principle, as manifested in conduct; just conduct, dealing, or treatment.
5.the administering of deserved punishment or reward.
Credit to: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/justice

Isn't it Just for the killer to face the same punishment that he applied to his victims? Isn't that fair? Isn't that moral? Doesn't that show equality?

How to fix it:
This is how I believe it should be "fixed".
If you plead guilty, you are entitled to a 30 minute visit with your loved ones(that is for them, not for you. You don't deserve it, but they need it.) During this visit, you are given your last meal. The cost of the meal may be up to, but not exceeding $50. You are then allowed congress with a spiritual-adviser of your choice. That congress may last up to 10 minutes. You are then allowed a 5 minute meditation, where you think back on your choices, and decide your last words. You are killed by your choice of hanging, morphine overdose, or firing squad. Your body is buried or cremated by your families wishes, not paid by the state.
If you plead innocent, but are found guilty by a jury of your peers, you are given a 15 minute visit with your family and a spiritual adviser, and given your last meal. You are then executed by firing squad, cremated, and your ashes are given to your family. If they refuse your ashes, your ashes are buried in the nearest cemetery.
05/22/2014 8:11 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
FlyingFrie
It’s not to prevent them from killing other people, we have jail for that. It’s to set an example of what would come if others committed murder too. Society and the government shows that it’s not ok to murder other human beings, therefor they will kill you. It’s a simple rule that everyone knows, heck it’s been in the Ten Commandments for decades. And for the other people that say it’s not fair to execute people, feel the gravity of killing others. Other people in this topic said that “just throw them in jail for the rest of their lives”. Let’s be honest, we have comfortable jails in North America. Taking away the punishment of execution would lead to more murders, since the punishment is not that harsh compare to death. Some people may think that death is not scary, YES IT IS! You may be fine with thinking of the idea right now, but when you are there saying your prayers, you will be hacking up blood from your eyes you’ll be so nervous. So yeah, there’s my rant.
05/21/2014 5:14 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blacksmith
I_heart_Notch
Daaaaaaaang....

This thread got deep fast
05/21/2014 4:17 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Death sentence is wrong no matter what.
Even if one murder 200 persons, killing the murder won't bring those 200 persons back to life.
05/21/2014 5:07 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Toast
GG50
No, but it would remove the risk of the murderer killing anybody else.
05/22/2014 6:21 am
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
Ever heard of a prison?
05/21/2014 4:12 pm
Level 20 : Expert Taco
Ultra_Gaming
Great feedback.
05/18/2014 8:10 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Well, where i live the highest penalty you can get is lifetime jail, you have to have done a lot of shit then. Also, getting death penalty is impossible.
05/18/2014 4:28 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Taco
Thawne
We kill people who kill people to show the people who kill people that they shouldn't kill people because they will kill people or in other words if you kill people and someone who kills you so that you learn how it feels if people kill you and if you kill people.

...And to stop the person who kills people so that other people won't get killed or in other words so they stop so if we don't kill the people who kill people, they will continue and keep killing people so we have to kill the people who kill people so other people won't get killed.

#Logic. yey
http://www.bluecheddar.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/logic.jpg
05/18/2014 6:04 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
HighVoltageNetwork
Brain. Officially fried.
05/18/2014 1:21 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
05/18/2014 12:38 am
Level 40 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Phush
AzieThe purpose of prison is to reform people and be able to release those people back into the population and when that happens, it's really something. Those people shouldn't be made to live with people who are still considered dangerous in the eyes of the law permanently, in my opinion.

That's some deep stuff, I would have just gone with the purpose of prison is to hold people.
05/17/2014 11:35 pm
Level 40 : Master Taco
Swimmer1929
Believe it or not, but the United States actually executes very few people per year. For example, in 2012, they executed 43 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment
05/17/2014 11:27 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Erm, actually, it depends. Sometimes murderers get killed, sometimes they get a life sentence, sometimes they get other things.

I'd say that it's more of a trade-trade thing; if you kill for a non-honorable reason, everyone assumes that you know and are ready to face the exact same amount of force in punishment.
05/17/2014 11:04 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
GG50
Goku_LSSJ it saves tax dollars

Ummm yeah, no it doesn't.

Uh, yeah, it does.

Dead people don't require federally funded food, clothing, housing, etc.
05/17/2014 10:18 pm
GG50
Goku_LSSJ it saves tax dollars

Ummm yeah, no it doesn't.
05/17/2014 10:10 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
What's worse:
Getting Killed
or
Forgetting to NOT drop the soap in jail.
05/17/2014 10:08 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Shows the people how bad killing is and that they should never do it. It's basically mental trauma to concretely dissuade the person from doing it. As for the killers, they have already done it, and have "gone to far into the void"

Some deep stuff
05/17/2014 9:58 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
Hopper200456
The Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would do to them"
05/17/2014 10:35 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
Cheezbergur11
Umm... don't you mean "Do unto others as they would do unto you"?

Anyway, my logic is:
So, take this scenario:

You are in your house, and hear someone break in and start shooting.
You are trapped in a room that has no windows, etc.
Would you do everything you could to kill the shooter so they wouldn't hurt you or your family?
Or would you just let them kill everyone in the house?
05/17/2014 11:01 pm
GG50
Those are different circumstances than those of a controlled setting such as the death penalty.
05/17/2014 5:54 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
I think there should be no death penalty. Life in prison is worse. You would have to live and think about what you had done for years on end, being tortured by it.
05/17/2014 11:20 pm
Level 40 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Phush
If the persons a Psychopath then they wouldn't necessarily be being tortured by thinking about what they had done.
05/18/2014 10:05 am
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
IF they were a psychopath wouldn't they be in a insane asylum?
05/17/2014 9:43 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Dragonsir
Who says they'll be remorseful?
05/17/2014 6:25 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Hunter
weasal
Yes... but it costs alot of money.... besides some people on death row on in prison a long time and some people are completely apathetic.
Also this:
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... I0Id6xd.99
05/17/2014 6:22 pm
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Yeah but then we have to pay for there lives. Do you want to keep some guy who killed like 20 people alive? because thats what we do with people in the life sentence
*Not starting a flame war just disagreeing we can all act like civilized minecrafters*
05/17/2014 5:47 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Hunter
weasal
It is a deterrent. If you commit the crime you do the time. You know what the punishment is,you are just signing up for it. If you did not want to die you should not have killed someone. Also this is not murder, it falls closer to the category of self defense.
05/17/2014 5:41 pm
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Because its justice kinda like robin hood yes it's bad but it saves tax dollars and it Keeps psychos off the street.
Think of it like this if someone killed hitler before he became dictator yes he would have died and killing is wrong but it would have prevented millions of other deaths
05/17/2014 5:17 pm
Level 48 : Master Network
JeremyMilam1
The death penalty was created with the intention that if some person was willing to-and did- take the life of others they were a danger to the surrounding population. It was based on the ideology that taking a murderer's life may save those he may harm in future. That is the reason - not to show murder bad through murder- but in fact to stop the murder of many with the death of the few.
05/17/2014 11:49 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
This.

weasal
navbarryI think there should be no death penalty. Life in prison is worse.

Yes... but it costs alot of money...

I'm not sure where you live but, here in the US, a ton of our inmates on death row with death sentences die of old age anyway. Don't ask me why that is, but it happens. Having the death sentence-- even though I do support it for those who would likely murder again, even in prison--is actually costing us a lot more than it's supposed to because our government/law enforcement twiddles their thumbs...?

Another point that I brought up up there, about people recieving the death penalty who would likely murder again while in prison, not everyone deserves death. Shoving a psycho into the prison who might kill you with a towel and a sharpened toothbrush in the shower only creates a higher-stress environment for the other prisoners. I've spent a fair amount of time around existing in-mates and those who've gotten out of jail and not all of them are horrible, nasty people who deserve to rot. The purpose of prison is to reform people and be able to release those people back into the population and when that happens, it's really something. Those people shouldn't be made to live with people who are still considered dangerous in the eyes of the law permanently, in my opinion.
05/17/2014 5:30 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
Cheezbergur11
^
05/17/2014 4:33 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Architect
bloxParadise_
So people don't do it in the future? I'd call it serving justice.
05/17/2014 3:52 pm
Level 49 : Master Batman
Casamify
because they deserve to, if they kill someone
05/17/2014 3:43 pm
GG50
Cause hypocrisy is the most effective method of teaching?
05/17/2014 4:27 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
05/18/2014 8:15 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
So you have been in jail? Or so, a guard.
05/18/2014 10:02 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Neither of those. My mom used to hang out with a lot of Hell's Angels and spent some time in jail. I would go with her to check in while she was on her ankle bracelet after they released her and I visited sometimes. Most of the people we hung around had spent some period of time in prison or jail. I also have a lot of family who are ex-mafia and don't do that stuff anymore. They've got healthy families and kids and grandkids.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome