Why do people not like to follow rules?

MrMaGiCz's Avatar MrMaGiCz4/15/13 7:18 am
4/20/2013 2:01 am
LadySpiderwick's Avatar LadySpiderwick
Im asking why do certain people enjoy breaking rules and an example of this is on a minecraft server people use hack clients and much more! People even do it on PMC
MrMaGiCz
Level 1 : New Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/20/2013 2:01 am
Level 32 : Artisan Vampire
LadySpiderwick
Server wise- Those kind of people may look for trouble, be unaware of the rules or they were too lazy to read them and break the rules. They may also be trolls, looking for attention or wanting to follow griefing groups such as TeamGriefingUK or Team Avo. There are a variety of plugins to manage griefing and hacking, as a previous server admin, moderator and partial owner of a server for a short time I've seen many plugins that staff can use to manage griefing and hacking with their own effectiveness.

On here- people may not have read the rules or they want to cause trouble e.g. I told a user that you need permission from the texturepack owners in order to upload a texturepack that he/she had based on several packs and they didn't seem aware of the rules or they were ignorant of the rules that you need the modpack/texturepack owner to give permission before uploading texturepacks based on other's works.
04/20/2013 1:55 am
Level 47 : Master Lad
Doggle
The main reason, YOLO. You only live once. Some people just decide to go off and break the rules, I unfortunately for some time got caught up with them, and still have lots of connection to them. As for the reasons, people know that the law can only do so much (especially for children) both online and irl. If you tag only those who know your tag know it is you, if you destroy something its either because you can or because you are angry.

Some people generally do not understand the rules whilst others think they are above the rules and then there are people who risk it by breaking rules to, rather than sucking, win. Generally people do it because they can as a child, but adults usually come to their senses.
04/20/2013 12:29 am
Level 33 : Artisan Skinner
oceoano
okay
04/19/2013 11:06 pm
Level 49 : Master Narwhal
Boboonski
Yolo does not mean: Do bad stuff because you only live once.
Yolo does mean: Make the most of the one life that you do have, and try not to mess it up.
04/19/2013 11:03 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
Ianman2
Well, it partly depends on the age:
[These would count for about 75% of people; I know there are mature 9-year olds!]

5-7: Hi! I'm a __ year old! Wanna see me use my hacked game? I can fly!
8-10: *Whispers* Dude wanna see me used my hacked client to get diamonds? I'll share if you tell noone!
11-13: I mostly use mods but hacking seems fun.
14-19: Why do people hack anyways? It's pointless....
20-27: Bored.Of.Minecraft. Hacks anyone?
28+: A.I gave up on Minecraft B. I use hacks all day; every day!
04/19/2013 10:16 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Skinner
TommyOakley00
Because YOLO am I right?
04/19/2013 10:50 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
IgnoreMyPostsIwas10
No. No YOLO No swag either. 'Tis stupid.
04/19/2013 9:58 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Dragonborn
9ReMiX9
Because rules never follow us.
04/19/2013 9:49 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
lol, this made me INSPIRED!! So inspired that I made a blog on it
04/19/2013 9:47 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Farmer
Wildweed
It amazes me how many kids (ie:minecraft players) think they can act differently in my home (server) then they can in their own. I think many parents are clueless about internet and what happens when their kids log in. They don't read, either. My site has voting links on the left under a detailed explanation and at the very bottom right a small paypal donate button. It never fails once a week someone complains about having to donate to vote. Reading is fast becoming a lost art, replaced by fancy flashy buttons and pretty graphics to click. This is how so many accounts get phished.

I use command rank and lock the default group in a room with annoying signs and spam them in chat every thirty seconds that they need to /acceptrules. Of course if you do /acceptrules without reading them you're prompted to read them. This eliminates three quarters of potential issues. Still ignored half the time. Hah.

Now if a person chooses to break a rule we both know they were given ample opportunity to read them (usually mods/hacking dumbasses) and a ban is soon to come if there is any question regarding their intentions. Once banned I have forums where people can express their opinion or ask to be unbanned. Quality over quantity any day of the week at my house, Keeps my members happy.
04/19/2013 8:53 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
IgnoreMyPostsIwas10
Because they're annoying trolls who like to do nothing but disobey and annoy people by doing something they're directly told not to. Also, 0PBeast is right... Probably going to be a flame war.
04/18/2013 4:26 pm
Level 44 : Master Nerd
Ree_
its just something we humans do. if we can do something and can get away with it we do it. humans do things because they think they're powerful and can do anything.

I did that cause I can
04/18/2013 4:22 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Artist
ChrisL
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

In reality, there are many reasons people would break rules, and on the internet it's much easier to do it since it's less dangerous. This is why PMC should hire a team of ninjas to attack rulebreakers.
04/19/2013 7:07 pm
MrMaGiCz
The first thing they would probally think about..
04/18/2013 12:56 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
Many people break rules because they want something. Some people might spam projects for exp.

People use hacked clients because they want an advantage over others; getting flying permissions, full diamond.
04/18/2013 3:12 pm
MrMaGiCz
Gotta agree with this:p
04/18/2013 12:54 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ninja
PengoPenguinRocks
When I break the rules I don't realize I am and I end up laughing and saying dang another fail Pengo Style (when you fail and you don't realize it)
04/18/2013 12:44 pm
MrMaGiCz
Loooooooooool
04/18/2013 11:31 am
Level 29 : Expert Lego Builder
Mercurythedark
'cause they're rebels.
04/18/2013 11:13 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
Defendoncraft
They have nothing else to do... Loners
04/18/2013 11:26 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mountaineer
GrizzlyAmish
If they have nothing else better to do, then they could take the time to enlighten themselves with the rules of the site.
04/18/2013 10:50 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
we here are pretty sure we know when a rule infraction is an accident and when it is deliberate. If a user uploads a few skins that have been mixed on Skindex, and we give them a warning and take them down saying "we don't allow mixed skins" that's a mistake. When the user gets all pissy and flames us and swears and reposts and threatens to sue us for taking them down.... that, my friend, is no mistake.

(Yes, yes, it happens to us. EVERY SINGLE DAY.)
04/18/2013 10:47 am
MrMaGiCz
I agree with all you but sometimes they are accidental.
04/17/2013 9:58 pm
Level 44 : Master Wolf Whisperer
ImaLittleCreeper
I feel sad because no matter how much I read the rules I break one by accident....
04/17/2013 9:53 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Pirate
Lightning393
A lot of it is trying to gain an advantage over others, when in the end, it's simply a game. Rules are often in place to get rid of negativity and make things more fun for the players.
As for trolls... look up "Curtis Woodhouse & the Troll"
...a cautionary tale on why not to troll.

04/17/2013 9:39 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
lizax
People dont listen because they dont care or... They try to listen but they make a tiny mistake and get pooped on. I, myself, have made a few mistakes in my lifetime and I feel really mistreated compared to people who did something and didnt get anything bad to them. I think about a year ago... I was LVL 25 or something and all my posts were deleted and I lost like 10-15 LVLs but I am slowly regaining them.
I fixed my mistakes though.

Best regards,
-Lizax
04/15/2013 9:31 am
Level 39 : Artisan Scribe
Jetra
Because of the freedom of the internet, people have an Anarchistic view of society, thinking everything should be free and open, so that's what I think is why they don't like them.
04/15/2013 9:40 am
MrMaGiCz
They think they can make people annoyed which entertains them..
04/15/2013 9:10 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
itz becuz dey is rebelius
04/15/2013 8:26 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Caveman
Ragnur Le Barbare
Another thing that might encourage rule-breakers on PMC: the XP system. I find it very nice as an incentive for people to make good content, and making PMC a fun "game", so to speak, but a lot of users seem to think that "winning" a game is better than "enjoying" it. So they try and find any loopholes to earn the most XP just to brag about how much better than other people they are.

Even though enjoying yourself is so much better and rewarding than getting more virtual points on a videogame fansite.
04/15/2013 8:30 am
MrMaGiCz
I actually think that may be the most popular reason on PMC.
04/15/2013 8:23 am
Level 1 : New Network
PerditusRelictus
rules are he to be broken.. well thats old good thing, people think its funny to break rules ( -> caught -> ), mostly rules are something that people want to do - when someone wants to do something, he will most likely do it, even if its againist rules. If you dont know rules, its always best to try to find out, since even if you dont know, its still rule..
04/15/2013 8:28 am
MrMaGiCz
I think that if their were no rules perhaps 'trolls' would have nothing to do?
04/15/2013 11:07 am
Level 20 : Expert Goblin
FunkyGoblin
I guess so
04/15/2013 9:08 am
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Caveman
Ragnur Le Barbare
As long as there are people's lives to ruin, there will be "trolls", unfortunately.
04/15/2013 9:11 am
MrMaGiCz
True unless one day there was a troll 'genocide' xD
04/15/2013 8:13 am
Level 30 : Artisan Mage
19dshriver
Some people need to learn to get mature, but you also have to encourage rules to new people. When you encourage them to follow the rules, they most likely will.
04/15/2013 8:18 am
MrMaGiCz
True in my opinion when someone creates an account the first thing that should appear is a rule list with links.
04/15/2013 7:53 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
People are more likely to break rules online than in real life because the consequences are so much less... and they figure if they can get away with it, why not? You're pretty much anonymous online (or at least, that's what they THINK... it's not true at all, and IP trace can lead me right to your house including name, address and phone number...)

As for PMC rules, I honestly believe that nobody reads them FIRST before posting... and discover they're breaking the rules afterwards. That's when the smart ones actually go back and read those rules.
04/18/2013 12:45 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
ventie81
so you do housecalls also? just out of curiosity, will you be wearing that snazzy creeper outfit?
04/15/2013 8:04 am
MrMaGiCz
Very well said!
04/15/2013 7:41 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Lad
Fred
Usually when people on PMC break the rules they typically don't understand them resulting in them getting into a argument with the site moderators, but in the PMC chat the ones that don't follow the rules usually are the trolls. Servers are a different thing. They are just straight up trolls or kids who didn't read the rules
04/15/2013 7:45 am
MrMaGiCz
In my opinion the people who dont follow rules on servers are those fanboys of very popular youtube griefers. Nowadays servers can easily deal with these sorts of people.
04/15/2013 7:27 am
Level 45 : Master Wizard
0PBeast
People think it's funny.
Btw you probably just started a flame war. Good luck, best wishes to you
04/17/2013 9:55 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
jonathanb987
Hi OPBeast. ._.
04/15/2013 7:29 am
MrMaGiCz