Strange Server Issue

Not_a_Bagel's Avatar Not_a_Bagel2/16/20 9:30 pm
1 emeralds 193 8
2/18/2020 2:17 pm
ZonkedCompanion's Avatar ZonkedCompanion
So the summery of it is; No one can join my minecraft server off of my ip address, including myself. I can, however, connect locally using my ipv4 address. I have tried everything:

Re-Port forwarded (I have an xfinity router) multiple times, restarted server, restarted router, gone into control panel to allow the server through firewall (like what this video does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn2BJ9jLYNs ), you name it.

I am completely lost, does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Any and all help is very much appreciated :)
Not_a_Bagel
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/17/2020 9:49 pm
Level 26 : Expert Architect
anything399
Did you put your the right ip in your server properties file?
02/17/2020 5:56 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
HeroesConquest
Don't forget some routers need a restart for port forwards to become active. I know mine did
02/17/2020 1:52 amhistory
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
FloofyKhajiit
are you using your public or local ip for people to connect? if you have port forwarded your local ip and the port of the server and are using that same local ip and port to connect it will only work locally (like you said). share the server computers public ip with the people you want to connect.
02/17/2020 4:04 pmhistory
Not_a_Bagel
Yes, I am giving them my public IP address, not my local (private ipv4) address. I have port forwarded using my private ipv4 address, as all the tutorials have said to.
02/17/2020 5:47 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
All you can really do is check your port forwarding and firewall settings again.

Are you sure you are forwarding the correct port to the servers local IP?

Try disabling firewall completely and see if that works?

Also: When you say you can connect to the server locally... I assume you are not trying to play Minecraft on the host machine? If you are playing on the host, then try connecting to the server from another computer locally in your network. That will tell you if the servers firewall is blocking the connection. If you can connect to the server from another machine within your network then the firewall isn't the issue, its your port forwarding.
02/17/2020 6:17 pm
Not_a_Bagel
What i meant by locally was playing it on the host machine. I use the ipv4 address that pops up in cmd after typing "ipconfig". I just tried it on my brothers computer on the same network, using the ip address that pops up on the "whats my ip" website (and i am using the correct one, not the long long one), and it let him in! So does this mean i did something wrong with port forwarding?
02/18/2020 2:17 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Pirate
ZonkedCompanion
If you can connect to the server from your bros machine using the public IP then this would suggest that the port forwarding and the firewall are correctly configured and allowing the connection through. If nobody else can connect from outside your network then it sounds like your ISP could be blocking something.

As icephantom has said you likely have some other router or firewall between your router and the internet. Quite possibly due to the fact you are on a residential connection... It could have parental controls etc, and the ISP might be filtering and throttling traffic on some ports. This is quite common in the UK at least.

Really if you want to host a server yourself you need some decent router hardware like Cisco or Draytek, an ISP that will provide you with a static IP address, and wont throttle or filter any of your traffic. Most residential connections just don't cut it when it comes to upload throughput anyway, so even if you did get this working you might find only a couple of players can connect before they start dropping packets and lagging.
02/17/2020 9:28 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Miner
icephantom
If you have got a second machine on your internal network to connect to your MC server, then you eliminate any firewall issues on the server. It also proves that the server is running ok with no internal blocking going on. The only thing left is the fact that no-one can connect externally - i.e. outside of your lan, and this points to an incorrectly setup port forward. Either some of the numbers are incorrect, or the rule has not been set as active, as some routers have a tick-box or something similar to make the rule active ........ and one assumes your router is the only one in the network chain - i.e. PC -> router -> internet, not PC -> router -> router -> internet ... as some networks have a primary and secondary router.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome