Villagers not dropping gifts

Paroketh's Avatar Paroketh6/9/19 7:57 am
1 emeralds 4.4k 7
6/13/2019 12:52 pm
Paroketh's Avatar Paroketh
I have a raid farm in 1.14.2 and when I get Hero of the village effect the villagers show reduced prices but they do not drop gifts. I can't understand why they are not lavishing me with gifts. Are there some sort of criteria that I don't know about?
Paroketh
Level 18 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/11/2019 1:47 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Not to belabor the obvious, but you are in java? [as the 1.14.2 designator whould seem to indicate.]

Mechanics have been changing so often that there doesn't seem to be much available (and some of what is out there is contradictory or applies only to specific snapshots).

I've read discussion that the bug allowing pillager patrols to spawn apparently inside villages may be due to ambiguity in what contitutes the boundary of a particular village; the idea being that what the players logically perceive as one village may be treated by the game as several (not necessarily all the time or for all purposes).
As one of the few bits of the Hero-o-Village effect that appears to be consistent is that one must be inside a village [java] or the village where it was awarded [bedrock], this might be causing the game to think you were not in the defined area of effect.

Assuming you have access to commands, you might give yourself the effect under various controlled conditions and try to suss out the required conditions. (Plesae report back any results if you do.)
06/12/2019 10:06 am
Paroketh
Thanks for the reply ScotsMiser

Yes I'm in Java and I've built something very similar to this:

https://youtu.be/hR52Jx2hHeY

So I have one villager in a tiny room with a bed and a compost bin (a farmer) which sets the centre of the village. This is working as expected because the Pillagers all gravitate to the centre of the farm nicely. On top of the tiny room are some hoppers (where the Pillagers land and get sliced) and several blocks away from the bit where I stand to do the slicing are a load of other villagers with stone cutters who are supposed to drop all the clay. Neither the stone masons nor the farmer (who is clearly part of the village being raided) are dropping anything however they are offering reduced trades.

I must have given myself the hero of the village effect a hundred times experimenting!

I have tried:
Placing more beds near the stone masons in case as you say there was ambiguity with the village boundary.
Standing in the middle of the stone masons before activating the effect
Standing in the tiny room with the farmer
Killing them all in temper and spawning new villagers back in their place
NOTHING!

In theory it should be working fine (and it did before the update). The wiki states "Upon creation, a village center is defined as a bed claimed by the first villager, or the gathering site block (a bell), and the village's size is the greater of 32 blocks or the distance to the furthest bed from the center."

It's actually driving me bonkers and I have had to leave it alone for a few days but if I do figure anything out I'll post back here.
06/12/2019 11:34 am
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
I'd been familiar with xisumavoids video and the tests you've performed would seem to cover things.
Looking through the video comments shows some people having problems, but not with this part of the farm :IDK:

One issue is that (with 1.14 effectively still in snapshots) whether the wiki is accurate (and if so, to which version) is less than crystal clear. [ The village page has been updated several times just since 01June.]

Reporting this [ https://bugs.mojang.com ] might be helpful as I was unable to find any bugs that appeared to describe this issue via searches.

Other than that, /data get entity <target> brain [where <target is a villager's UUID (obtainable by placing the aiming pip on the villager while typing the command)] would allow confirmation of the coordinates for that villager;s meeting_point, bed (home), and job_site (workstation)

In theory one also ought be able to check the villager entity data to see if the HoV effect is active… but looking through the villager entity data listing @ https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Villager#Entity_data I can't determine where this is stored…
[This may be lack of understanding on my part, or the aforementioned issue with the wiki being out of sync with the latest updates to the mechanics.]
06/13/2019 12:52 pm
Paroketh
I've messed about some more and there's good news and bad news.
The good news is the idiots are dropping gifts sometimes.
The bad news is I don't know why and didn't actually change anything.

I've come to the conclusion that this is not an issue with the village boundary because the villagers are doing sweat particles while the raid is taking place, leading me to believe they are part of the village being raided.

I don't know where the data is stored regarding HoV either. I do believe the effect was active on the villagers because if it wasn't then their trade prices wouldn't go up/down when the effect was active/inactive.

I am now wondering if there is some kind of cool-down period for gift dropping (but not for reduced price trades) because they dropped some gifts when I first logged on and then wouldn't drop any again until I came back from shopping (irl). If this is the case then the cool-down period is definitely longer than how long it takes to go through the whole raid cycle. At least now they've dropped something I know that I have the thing set up correctly and of course I am still getting lots of nice loot from the pillagers even if the villagers are being temperamental to say the least!

All the info on 1.14 as a whole is complicated and unreliable and I don't think we'll get to grips with it properly until there's a more stable and finalised version but thanks very much for your help.

PS: Not to be a nitpicker but brain needs a capital /data get entity <target> Brain just in case someone else wants to use it (maybe they are attempting to sort a trading hall, a different can of worms which I won't go into right now ha ha)!
06/10/2019 9:29 am
Paroketh
If anybody has some actual advice about this I'd be most grateful.
06/09/2019 8:02 am
Level 1 : New Miner
millymojo
Maybe you should try READING books inshtead of BURNING them.

My diary ish in Berlin!
06/10/2019 9:28 am
Paroketh
Yeah thanks for that Dr Jones Sr!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome