What are the risks of hosting a public server at home?

ComputerCraft32's Avatar ComputerCraft328/18/18 5:48 pm
2 emeralds 12.8k 18
8/25/2018 3:25 pm
Ray_Savage's Avatar Ray_Savage
Hey guys! I was working more on my server, but then I started wondering the risks of hosting a small server from home. The people who joined would not be friends, but just random people. I have no way to get a minecraft server host, and I have a fast computer to host the server as well as a decent network speed, so I decided hosting at home would be the way to go. I tried everything I did to hide my ip, but still they are all these SRV record and Domain to IP machines that just blow my cover. I also cant afford a VPS, but is there a way I can maybe "host" a VPS at home? Anyways, thanks for reading and if you can help please reply!
ComputerCraft32
Level 6 : Apprentice Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/19/2018 10:57 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
First of all: there is no such thing as an hidden IP address. If people connect to your setup then they'll need an IP address to do so. That's simply how the Net works. You can "hide" it by using a domain name but seriously: you're not hiding anything at all. Looking up the IP address that is assigned to a domain name takes 1 simple command which anyone familiar with this will know ('nslookup' for starters).

As to the risks: this heavily depends on your setup. How are you connected to the Internet? Are you using a router? If so then you may need to set up forwarding (as mentioned below) and this also means that the router will be at most risk. When people try to connect to your IP address they'll contact your router first which will then decide if the request should be ignored or forwarded to your machine.

But this changes if your PC somehow gets assigned with a public IP address. This setup is somewhat rare but some providers use it. In that scenario you connect your PC to a router which forwards all the stuff it gets from the provider. In more technical terms the router mostly performs a bridge operation. This means that all the incoming requests get forwarded to your PC one on one. So in order to keep bad stuff out you'd better use a firewall. But as mentioned: this is a rather rare setup.

Speaking of firewalls: assuming you use a router then, although advisable, you don't have to worry too much about a firewall on your PC. The reason for that is because your router will most likely be the main gateway which can be used to keep the 'bad guys' out.

Risks...

There are plenty. First you really need to check your router and check if its firmware is fully up to date. That's because of 2 reasons: a recent firmware will most likely also perform better, but most of all it will hopefully have less possible security flaws.

Next: you definitely want to make sure that whatever OS you run is also fully up to date where security patches are concerned.

And finally Minecraft itself: be sure to use the latest Java runtime. I'd stick with JRE8 myself because it doesn't differ too much and Minecraft was developed with Java version 8 in mind in the first place. But just make sure you're using the latest version, you can download this from Oracle.

Possible risks you're taking:
  • DoS or DDoS; for someone who knows how this works it's decently easy to gain access to a 'botnet' which can be abused to sent tons of garbage data your way, effectively kicking you off the Internet. Most ISP's may have solutions for this but it heavily depends on your ISP (and optionally your subscription).
  • Hackers; you can never rule this out. This is why you should ensure that your router uses the latest firmware possible, and that you also made sure to use sane security settings (for example: you definitely don't want to enable remote administration options or something like that).
  • In-game cheaters / griefers: dealing with a server means dealing with possible cheaters. Even though Minecraft provides plenty of options to get rid of them there's always the issue of the previous points. A weirdo connects to your server, cheats, you ban him and they get angry and retaliate with a DDoS attack. It doesn't happen too often, but it is a risk you need to keep in mind.
My suggestion: limit this to friends only, or at best people who you can somewhat 'trust' and meet up front. For example by using this forum to see what people are like (check their profiles) before you might be tempted to invite them to your server (just be careful with the invitation part; not everyone enjoys getting invited, some could even consider that spam).
08/25/2018 3:25 pm
Level 82 : Elite Architect
Ray_Savage
Ha ha, "how the net works" and it's almost Network. Nice.
08/19/2018 3:07 pm
ComputerCraft32
Thanks alot for the info! I am seting up a second router for the server, with a differnt IP address, so that should not be much of a problem. As for having a secure OS..., no. Windows 7 thats not genuine, so thats not too secure. I think that I will have it white-listed, so that I can create an application that people will have too join with, it will cut out a lot of hackers. I could host my own VPN, but that would be pretty hard too do. I would also have to find out all the IP addresses the VPN will give me and put a domain on all of them. I could also get Dos / DDoS protection, but that is not cheap. Once again, thans for the info!
08/19/2018 2:55 am
Level 1 : New Miner
LyamsGG
Always helps to port forward your IPv4 also, on top of all the other great advice here
08/18/2018 6:13 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
08/18/2018 7:02 pm
ComputerCraft32
Thanks very much for the info! My only question is, is there a way to hide your IP address from all those domain to ip things? Like when they type in the domain it instead shows them a different IP address. Also, what makes server hosts so safe? Why dont their networks always get hacked? They just have a large network of computers, thats all. What is their "secret" to that?
08/18/2018 8:39 pm
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
08/18/2018 9:43 pm
ComputerCraft32
Mmm Ok thanks! This info helped me a lot! DynDNS looks like you need a VPN for it, which I dont have. DynDns also cost money. Hamachi is out of the list as others have to download it. My question is, if I hook up another router to my main router, could I essential have a sub-network for the server? That way, if I am sent an attack it will go to the router dedicated to the server. I have a feeling this wont work, but it does not hurt to ask!
08/18/2018 9:52 pm
anonpmc2558251
[deleted]
08/18/2018 9:58 pm
ComputerCraft32
Okay! Thanks so much for the info! Just got a old router from the garage and gonna hook it up to the PC! Cannot wait to see the results!
08/18/2018 5:59 pm
Level 28 : Expert Caveman
zoobros
If you get many players, it may start to get Lag (server, and probably PC). And if they find out you IP, they can ddos you. Thats all.
08/18/2018 10:48 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
dos, not ddos, learn the difference
08/19/2018 8:02 am
Level 28 : Expert Caveman
zoobros
ddos AKA Distributed Denial of Service is an attack, someone sends too many packets onto your IP, and it starts to lag.
08/19/2018 8:57 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
dos = 1 person ddos = more than 1 hense the term DISTRIBUTED
08/19/2018 10:40 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
But it's usually only 1 person who starts it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome