I need advice on making and advertising a server.

2 emeralds4 replies84 views
RadPower1 started 10/24/2020 7:57 pm
DotPlusDot replied 10/29/2020 12:55 am
Hello all, I'm 13 and trying hard to create a successful Minecraft Server, it's still in development, but I have some major problems, I want to self host it, any recommendations on what hardware I should use? And I can't advertise it, no one seems interested, if anyone knows a solution to any of there problems, please tell me.
Posted by avatar
RadPower1
Level 1 : New Miner

4 replies

10/29/2020 12:55 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
DotPlusDot
There's millions of 12-16 year olds trying to create the next giant server. If you want your advertising to stand out; go to a unique territory in terms of an actual server idea. Don't use the brain dead repetitive factions or survival server. Do something that will attract and keep players.

Also don't make it all P2W, those servers perish before they ever start.
10/26/2020 5:53 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
pk5dloks
I run and self host a small, private server for advanced builders and can tell you a bit about home hosting.
Firstly, if you are wanting to create a serious server that's always online and runs reliably, you'll need to invest some money into decent hardware. You'll soon need a dedicated machine once you have people regularly online, as if you use your main computer, any other programs you run will take precious CPU time away from the server threads and lag them. Minecraft servers don't play nicely with other processes when they begin competing for CPU time.
What has been said below about using a CPU with a fast clock speed is mostly true, but if you are running an efficient third party server like PaperMC (if you aren't, why on earth not) then that processor should also have at least 4 cores.
After running my server for the first 2 months on a consumer grade machine and getting lag issues & random crashes, I went ahead and bought a second hand server, the HP ML310 in my case. I also picked up a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) as if you have a power cut, your server is offline and players quickly complain and look elsewhere. Since upgrading to this gear I've had near perfect 100% uptime, and there isn't any lag in sight. As I live in another country from where the server is kept, having server grade features like remote management means I can do things like reboot a crashed machine, apply all updates and even proxy into my routers settings to make changes.
Before home hosting, you'll also want to look at how fast and reliable your internet is, with the upload speed being by far the most important. A rough guide is that each player will need around 1Mbps to play smoothly. So if your upload speed is 20Mbps, you'll be able to have about 20 players on simultaneously. It also needs to be very stable, as if it drops out for even a couple of seconds, every player gets kicked. This is important, players won't enjoy having to reconnect all the time.
Are you good with configuring firewalls, understand Linux permissions and can create a user account that has no access rights to the machines critical filesystems? Do you know how to use SSH or iLo / iDRAC for when you're away from home and the machine crashes randomly? You'll need to set this all up securely. As soon as you open ports to the internet, your machine becomes exposed to every hacker and script kiddie with an internet connection. It must be secure, and you definitely don't want personal or valuable files living on the same machine. Creating a VM or container is recommended if you do anything else on that machine.
While you're just starting out, you should be fine to run a server on your own machine, but as soon as you start getting players on 24/7, you'll want some server grade gear to manage it all correctly.
If you're willing to accept that home hosting requires a lot of time and good equipment, but will genuinely enjoy the experience, I'd say go for it. If you just want a stable and reliable Minecraft server that has all the security, network and control panel features ready to go, then home hosting will not be for you.

Advertising comes down to following the same rules as promoting any product or business. There are tens of thousands of servers out there. What makes yours unique, what have you got that nobody else has? Why should a player pick your server over the other thousands that'll show up in the search results. Make sure it's unique or at least very appealing. Bright colours and fancy graphics work wonders on drawing kids in. Make sure your description and website is well written and isn't full of spelling or grammatical mistakes. Make a webpage for the server that interested players can go to, and include an exciting description of your server, as well as the rules, what the community is like and what mini games or challenges you may have.
Don't waste time paying money for advertisements at this stage. I haven't spent a penny on mine, and yet I'm having to turn applicants away as we are at capacity (we limit our membership to less than 100 players, as it's a community server where players want to make actual friends). I found that advertising here was almost all I needed to do. Bump the submission every 24 hours to keep it noticed. Be active on the forums with what you're doing and why others will love your server, but don't make it spammy. Some people have had success by advertising on places like Reddit, but that can invite a lot of trolls and griefers.

Hopefully that helps and gives you a small idea of what's ahead. I've probably missed lots out, but that's the main points covered at least. If there's any specific information you need, let me know 👍
10/29/2020 12:34 am
Level 1 : New Miner
RadPower1
tysm for the info, i am unable to read it right now, i will read it all later.
10/24/2020 8:11 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect
CrackTopCat14
Hey Rad, I've got a server I've been running for about 7 months now, and it's gained a small following.

I've made a few mistakes in my development, so I am happy to help pass on some wisdom to you.

Imma DM you a full list of websites you can list your server on.

For hardware, I recommend a CPU that has a high clock speed and fewer cores. This is because Minecraft server, for the most part, only takes advantage of 1 thread. So a 3.5GHz processor with 6 threads (this specification is typically listed on the CPU's details) will not perform as well as something like a 4.2GHz processor with 4 threads, which could effectively be 3 good servers vs 6 subpar servers.

Use PCPartPicker.com to put together a list.

To start, a processor between the Intel i5 and i7 series will probably be just fine, but this stuff will probably be a little expensive. My server build was about $700. Anything with a base clockspeed ~3.6Ghz+ and boost of 4.2GHz+

Honestly, depending on how beefy your personal computer is, I'd recommend just starting off trying to run and develop the server on it first, then move it to a dedicated machine later if you find this stuff to be something you enjoy.

Small minecraft servers typically like to have 4GB of ram at least, so plan your RAM around how many minecraft servers you plan to run.

Honestly, if you're just looking to run 1 server, look for the highest base and boost clockspeed CPU that has 2 cores and 4 threads or so.

If you're really interested in doing this kinda stuff, I'd be happy to help you along more the way.
Planet Minecraft Logo

Website

© 2010 - 2020
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome