This is a long reply to @silly_goose

Thbop's Avatar Thbop9/23/22 9:59 pm
9/24/2022 8:54 pm
Silly_Goose's Avatar Silly_Goose
To Silly_Goose but possibly helpful to others:

Welcome to Minecraft!

Don't look for replies from me, because I'm hardly active on PMC, but I do have some ideas with servers and such.

DISCLAIMER: If you want to play on a server with after life, you will need a semi-technical knowledge of java and general hosting-minecraft-servers knowledge. (Unless of course you plan to use a paid or free but laggy free server hosting service.)

If you don't want to go down the hosting-servers rabbit hole, you could easily install (I think) this modpack using The Curse Forge App. (Just install and search for the pack.) This of course would allow you to play after life on single player.

If you really want to go down the server route, I'd first look into paid or free online hosting.

If you don't like those laggy or pricey options, you can self host (which is where my expertise lies).

The basic structure of hosting a minecraft server is as follows:

• Your computer runs Java (programming language)

• Java runs your server software (either vanilla or modded).

• If your server is modded (in this case, yes): the server software will run the mods

• Players connect to your server via an ip address.

If you ran your server on your machine, you would connect to the server via the address 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) and a port (default 25565). This address is the universal "connect to myself" address, so other players wouldn't be able to connect via that address (they'd be trying to connect to themselves). The port isolates the minecraft server process while connecting to the address.

There are two ways of forwarding your minecraft server.

• First, you could port forward, which is insecure and involves giving your ip address to whomever you which to join. I've never successfully port forwarded, so I don't really know exactly how to fully pull it off. You shouldn't really do it though.

• The other, easier method involves running a "port forwarding software" (that isn't really what they're called). These applications will forward any server application (such as a minecraft server) with a specified port (25565) to a address. (Example: I have a server running on my machine with the port of 25565. I run a software such as Playit which will forward my server to the address some-example.craft.playit.gg. Now my friends can join my server via that address.)

Done with theory, onto practice

First blocker coming your way is the power of your computer. Running a modded server while playing on it brings many descent gaming PCs to their knees. If you aren't running that many mods, you could get away with it, but sometimes mods will just make the game unplayable. I'd recommend trying to run a server anyway for the fun of it though.

• Ok, so you will have to download Java 17 (or some other version, I use Java 17.0.1). Make sure you select the correct operating system for the downloads.

• Then download the recommended Forge 1.18.1 Installer. (This is 1.18.1 because After Life says it runs on that Minecraft versoin. Also beware of the ads page before downloading.)

• Run the file by double clicking it, or by using the command: java -jar name-of-forge-installer.jar (Make sure to type the actual file name.)

• Download the server file from there or download it elsewhere, I forgot where though.

• Create a folder for your server, and place the forge-server.jar file in it.

• Unzip and place the two folders of Afterlife into the server folder.

As to running the server, you could double click it, or run the server via the command line using: java -Xmx5000M -Xms1024M -jar name-of-server-file.jar nogui

IMPORTANT: -Xmx5000M means the max amount of memory the server is allowed to use at a time in megabytes (1000 mb = 1 gb).

After agreeing to the eula.txt (by changing the "false" to "true" in the eula.txt), you should be able to play your minecraft server with friends (after port forwarding of course).

I probably won't be answering questions, and you should really lookup a youtube tutorial as this may be incomplete and I didn't test any of this. (I just think it will work, because I've run modded servers before.)

This self hosted server stuff also serves to let you know that setting up a server from no experience in quite complicated (and very simple if you understand it). I also hoped to shock you, because this is a REALLY long guide.

Also, for all the above, I'm assuming that you are playing the Java Edition of the game. But since this might be confusing to new players sometimes, here's a simple (maybe outdated) guide to tell which edition you are playing. (Also, if you are confused about which edition in the slightest, and ask people about it, they will most likely think you are stupid.)
Thbop
Level 31 : Artisan Button Pusher