Can I use other skins as references when making my own? Rule 4.3 Clarification.color_lens

2 emeralds6 replies75 views
Messy Bee started 1/11/22 7:06 pm
Stella_Chihuahua replied 1/23/2022 6:23 pm
I'm new to PMC and I've recently read the rules and saw the rule that says you're not allowed to "part pick" from other skins to make your own. I understand that stealing/exploiting other artists is a bad thing to do and I'm not questioning that. What I want to know is if I'm allowed to look at other skins as references when I'm making my own. For instance: Maybe I'm trying to figure out how I should position a flower in the hair, so I look at skins with flowers in the hair to see how other people did it. Or, suppose I want to know how to put a small element like a bee or belt buckle on the skin without it looking too blocky/pixel heavy, so I look at skins that feature belt buckles or bees to see how other artists drew them. Lastly, what if I use another skin as a reference for shading, like shading a particular article of clothing or face? Are these hypothetical uses of other art as references acceptable within the rules, or would it still be considered "part picking"?

You have until 02/11/2022 7:06 pm to cast your vote.

Posted by avatar
Messy Bee
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter