Forumskeyboard_arrow_right Help keyboard_arrow_right PMC

Create Forum Thread

PMC should ban 3rd party downloads

21 emeralds89 replies896 views
created 11/01/2019 8:55 am by Proff_C
last reply 01/04/2020 7:34 pm
Just in case you're not aware of where these downloads are taking you.....

Come across so many of these....Adfly..Shorte.ST...and probably others...the idea is you watch an ad, then you get your link.....except they want you to install a Search Hijacker App from Google Chrome..... MultyApp..etc....they are all known search hijackers...listed on Malwarebytes.

They monitor your internet activity and target you...your personnal details are not secure through these apps....

For a game that is aimed at mainly the younger audience...i would have thought PMC would have a tighter reign on this...and not let kids be redirected to malware ....

Anyway...my 2 cents...i'm careful...my security software warns me, and i double check anything i install...when in doubt...google the website name and put scam or malware at the end.
Posted by avatar
Proff_C
Level 20 : Expert Narwhal

comment Login or register to post a reply.

89 replies

01/04/2020 7:34 pmhistory
Level 6 : Apprentice Skinner
CreeperKid77766
I have always been extreamley careful on the internet most of my safety tip come from here --> [url=<a href=]spreadprivacy.com/[/url]
12/18/2019 6:24 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Roselladrelos
Ideally, everyone should have an adblocker installed to combat these. Adfly is the worst of the bunch, because when they see you have an adblocker they direct you to a page which forces you to allow their spam notifications to show up. This can still be circumvented manually, but gosh is it annoying.
12/05/2019 2:07 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragonborn
TobySuren
If a creator wants money from what they made, there are three easy steps that require NO ONE to lose their safety.
1. Create a youtube account
2. Upload your creations on there
3. Activate ads
Simple.
12/10/2019 11:22 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Princess
MissC-YT
thats great and all, but you need a following of 1000 people and have 4000 watch hours thats a lot for anyone to achieve
01/04/2020 6:00 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
CarlinWashburn
so what? With less than that, the creators won't be making more than one or two dollars anyways.
12/10/2019 11:34 am
TobySuren
What about Proff_C's response to Paril:
Well this is what i suspected...that they would get banned...i'd be hoping with the collective minds of people that contribute on here, they'd be able to brainstorm a solution...As an idea...and i'm just throwing this out there...if PMC was to expand it's horizons...you have all thse contributed works on here...heaps of skilled creators...why not exhibit them?...set up a Planet Minecraft Youtube channel?...showcase works..get revenue..i know it won't happen overnight, but individual channels get millions of views...and there's god knows how many finished works on here sitting on the shelves.....just a thought.
12/05/2019 1:34 pm
Level 45 : Master Demolitionist
busterdogtnt
PMC should really be more careful, there is so many ways people can infect computer with malware, ranging from a minecraft folder infected with worms or trojans to links that grab IP's
12/05/2019 1:33 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Strawberry
VoidPanda
Adfly, being one of the biggest ones, has a serious issue right now honestly. It used to be fine where yknow it'd to the simple "u need 2 update ur edge", easy to ignore, or whatever and you could skip without issue, but now it either, even with an adblocker, redirects you to a whole new site that's malicious, every time you open it/you can press "skip ad", or it sits you in a loop of "please accept notifications from x" and once you accept them all then get you to the link... the notifications spam you. Why. Or you just get nothing, even if you reload the page.

I haven't had an issue with adfocus yet, and I've definitely not had an issue with mediafire or dropbox itself, so on my end it just seems to be adfly, unfortunately its used a lot. There's times that if there's no link to go around adfly, I can't download things. It sucks when the community has such amazing resource packs and whatnot.
12/18/2019 4:11 am
Level 42 : Master Musician
CVerse
This is the problem I noticed with adfly. Since a few months ago that I got a job, I decided to remove all adfly links on my main map and just direct them to my download, no ads required. It used to be an okay solution to make some money (I got $20 just one time 2 years ago from a shoutout), but now it's so broken and annoying.
12/10/2019 10:43 am
Proff_C
the issue i had was it wanted me to download a 'Google Add-on'...and a google search of that add-on warned me it was malicious....so Google don't monitor their add-ons either...
11/05/2019 1:26 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Botanist
Rhines
Ah, gah, I could heartily agree. While content creators do like to get a payment for all their hard work, adfly and other malicious ad sites have taken things too far. I've gotten to the point where I'm unable to download and content due to adfly, the most used way to receive money for ads, being taken over by viruses & malicious downloads to the point where I can't access the download without downloading one of these :c
11/03/2019 1:31 am
Level 45 : Master Engineer
ShelLuser
There comes a time when people need to stop and rely on "other stuff" to keep them safe.

Meanwhile people are constantly logged into "social" media networks while browsing without realizing that this too tracks their every move.

Internet security isn't a thing you turn on or off, it's an ever ongoing process.
11/02/2019 1:25 pm
Level 84 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
FWIW, if egregious ad site usage is reported and/or we can catch it redirecting to malware, etc, we do ask them to change the link or attempt to talk to the site owners to resolve the issue.

That being said, we are extremely close to banning all ad links altogether. It's become a huge issue.
11/02/2019 10:13 pm
Proff_C
Well this is what i suspected...that they would get banned...i'd be hoping with the collective minds of people that contribute on here, they'd be able to brainstorm a solution...
As an idea...and i'm just throwing this out there...if PMC was to expand it's horizons...you have all thse contributed works on here...heaps of skilled creators...why not exhibit them?...set up a Planet Minecraft Youtube channel?...showcase works..get revenue..i know it won't happen overnight, but individual channels get millions of views...and there's god knows how many finished works on here sitting on the shelves.....just a thought.
11/02/2019 5:12 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Exopteron
There's an extension called "Universal Bypass"

https://universal-bypass.org/install
12/05/2019 1:54 pm
TobySuren
can I trust this though?
01/04/2020 5:18 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
Exopteron
your choice, works pretty well for me though
12/10/2019 10:49 am
Proff_C
it hasn't got great reviews...
11/01/2019 9:28 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
cakedon
Pro tip. Dont click on ads you'll be fine.
11/02/2019 8:15 am
Level 40 : Master Architect
Orangalot
Yeah but some links that bring you to adfly download stuff onto your computer without you clicking anything. It's called auto download
12/05/2019 1:09 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
cakedon
I don't think (Ad link removed) sites do that. Eventually you just accept a notification feed but you can block it in browser settings later.
12/13/2019 2:25 am
Paril
The problem is that adf.ly doesn't really control or moderate what is displayed, and it changes depending on region and other factors. The last times I investigated this, an adfly link for me would redirect to three different sites that wanted access to show notifications; if I denied all three, all good and it let me download, but to expect everybody to know that is a bit silly.

Also, at times the page will just not continue if you'd already denied the notification request, preventing a download entirely. It was hit/miss.

And then there's the redirections to those "Microsoft Windows has detected a virus, please call this Indian call center to receive your free scam" that don't give you the download at all..
11/01/2019 12:38 pm
Proff_C
lol...but i didn't realise i had to be beach body ready, until i saw the ad........even though i live in the middle of Western Australia...maybe they meant salt lake ready?
11/01/2019 12:37 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
WandererReece
That works, but some sites get a little too in-your-face. Plus there are the sites that have ads marked "download" next to the real download button. Honestly, those type of ads should be outright illegal. The point is sometimes mistakes happen, especially on the sites with the more intrusive and shadier ads, the sites that caused people invent adblockers.
11/02/2019 9:55 am
Level 21 : Expert Artist
HorizonLine
Some basic tips to go through these sites securely:
1. Install az AdBlocker. (Opera GX has one built-in, Chrome has one to get in the Web Store for free, and Firefox has one too, also free.)
2. Don't click anything other than that Skip Ad button.
+1: Set your browser to ask for a download path everytime before a file would start downloading. So you can cancel the download, or save it to a path of your choice.

Proff_C, every single service tracks you, no matter the popularity or promises. That's what cookies all about. If you open a browser and type something into any of its input fields, your data is going to your Big Data profile. Privacy doesn't exist anyomore, and unless you have to hide something, you shouldn't worry about it. No one will ever be able to find just your data and inside that find useful informations. Only the database-specialized Artifical Intelligencies will be able to process that amount of data, and they don't care about average people watching 3X movies and downloading torrents at home. Don't do stup1d things, and you won't have to worry, simple as that.
11/02/2019 9:48 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Eh no. Banning the adfly links is not a problem, I guess, since they're getting infected.

However, if you were to ban third-party downloads PMC would have to host every single file themselves, which is unrealistic, especially considering the fact people like me tend to have worlds several gigabytes in size.
12/05/2019 1:57 pm
TobySuren
If only adfly and others didn't care more about money than a lot of people's internet safety. It's a real shame that money is this important these days.
12/18/2019 4:14 am
Level 42 : Master Musician
CVerse
Money has always been important for sites to run. It's the right balance that counts though
11/02/2019 9:41 amhistory
Level 43 : Master Strawberry
memora
Although you can’t exactly stop kids from coming on to the website, it is aimed at teens and adults, who are generally expected to be sensible and smart about what they download online. When signing up to the website, you agree that you’re the age of 13 or older. Considering all the benefits of 3rd party downloads, it wouldn’t exactly be a smart move for PMC to remove them altogether.

PMC could possibly add in a rule where you have to have an account to download mods that use 3rd party sites, which will certainly filter out at least some of the kids.

They could also add a verification feature, which gives a clear warning on posts that use 3rd party sites that PMC are not sure is 100% safe. However, they wouldn’t completely block them, just add a warning.
11/02/2019 1:26 pm
Paril
We do have this warning.
11/02/2019 4:42 pm
Level 43 : Master Strawberry
memora
Ah, sorry. I don’t really download mods, so was unaware. Would you like me to remove the post?
11/02/2019 7:05 amhistory
Level 52 : Grandmaster Droid
Acidpop
i would be very sad if they blocked adf.ly
11/02/2019 8:00 am
Proff_C
Well this is why legitimate creators should talk to PMC about resolving this...and regulating the download links...it's the dodgy ones that will ruin it for everyone....if the wrong thing gets into the wrong computer of a high profile person, the first place they'll be coming is here...with lawyers right behind them...PMC is just leaving itself wide open, with no age restriction checks and openly allowing anyone to link to anywhere....it only has to happen once....and we all lose..
11/02/2019 4:49 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
Tornado_Chasing
I don’t think they should ban it, but instead they need to put more regulations for it.
11/02/2019 5:34 am
Proff_C
Yes...as this post has progressed...moderation and regulation would be the key...
11/02/2019 4:38 am
Level 1 : New Miner
superMinecraftL
use an auto ad skipper browser plugin and its solved
11/02/2019 3:24 am
Level 25 : Expert Archer
Just25Savage
PRO TIP- Just don't click on ads you'll be fine.
11/02/2019 3:10 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Crafter
MonteCrysto
Maybe just asking PMC to check them all instead ? Or if they remove the possibility of 3rd party links, they have to increase the size limit of files you can upload on the site because man, 15Mo is kinda short
11/02/2019 5:40 am
Proff_C
well checking it would be the first step...maybe not all of them...but surely they could cull the herd, through inactive profiles...inactive downloads etc...
11/02/2019 3:05 am
Level 30 : Artisan Sailor
tomatotownn
They need third-party websites to host the downloads for maps that are bigger than the maximum file size, lots of mapmakers and modders need them because often they go over that file size even with compression.

I agree though that people should not be able to directly profit off of consumers downloading their map, and something like a bot to detect if the link contains the domain-name of "adfly" or "shorte.st" and other websites that make money from redirecting hyperlinks.
11/01/2019 12:12 pmhistory
Level 39 : Artisan Button Pusher
Masteratchess
I Disagree, It's not like you can't install adblock....Or pm the content creator to request a direct download. Adlinks are basically the only way besides donations that a content creater can earn any income from spending 1k+ hours on it. Also, I'd bet if people started donating than adlinks wouldn't be as big of a problem :) (Also, many content creators [​Like myself] put a no adlink download in the description)
11/01/2019 12:31 pm
Proff_C
Yeah i agree that we can't just have files on here...and there should be 3rd party downloads,...but the irony that my post was flagged because i mentioned adware and malware sites...yet i can be sent to them from content creators here?....well....it needs regulating...or a system of trust levels for 3rd party links.....i'd be curious to know if an attempt to download from a dodgy site, constitutes as a download for PMC and pushes that content higher up in the ranks...so as to be viewed first etc...those that do the right thing, i appreciate that...i just find it offputting, as a new member that 2 out of 3 links are untrustworthy, and it ruins the experience...not just for me , but other new people, and given as MC is rising in popularity....it should be given some consideration i think..
11/01/2019 2:29 pm
Masteratchess
I see your position here, The rule used to be (I think it's been changed) that unless somebody was level 20 (takes a while and many submissions) then they couldn't use any download links besides mediafire/mega/drive etc.
11/01/2019 3:03 pm
Proff_C
ah...that's interesting...yeah one of them is from a level one...i've only ticked over to 3 in a few days...so it seems easy for a new creator to go down the ad revenue path, right from the get go....i think people should earn their stripes before that can happen..another point of reform...build a strong leadership...show how it's done...be the example....with any luck, the moderators are seeing this feedback....they're not the harshest rules...but they set the example...
11/01/2019 12:28 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
WandererReece
Unfortunately, the internet is constantly evolving. Some sites are already starting to deploy anti-adblock measures. Adfly basicly says "You shall not pass!" until you turn off your adblocker. Seriously, I couldn't get the site to send me to the real download until I turned off my adblocker.
11/01/2019 2:27 pm
Masteratchess
And as they do that Adblock is evolving :), also, for adfly, just disable the push notification problem in chrome://settings/content/notifications.
11/01/2019 11:51 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Mage
DaleighChronicle
Um, I was able to get to the wixsite for the download of Haven easily. Like, literally no problem and no request to download anything. I think you're just looking at the wrong skip link.
11/01/2019 11:58 pm
Proff_C
You got a link to it?....i can get to the download button...but then Install required of a Google Chrome App...
11/06/2019 11:13 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Mage
DaleighChronicle
You need to click the one at the top corner. Don't click on anything in the middle of the screen. That's all an ad.
11/01/2019 11:46 pm
Level 23 : Expert Skinner
ImYourEnder
adfly is easy! Just click the damn SKIP AD button and don't click the ad!
Planet Minecraft Logo

Website

© 2010 - 2020
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome