Transparency in PMCSkin3D

JohnnyPilot's Avatar JohnnyPilot1/17/20 4:50 pm
3 emeralds 1.9k 13
9/10/2021 6:11 am
nugget1567's Avatar nugget1567
Hi guys,

I can use the online software perfectly well and it is excellent, but with the exception of 'erasing' pixels.

The eraser tooltip shows "Eraser Mode: Remove or reset pixels". Sure, the 'reset' by default is working and the pixels revert to white, for example. But, I specifically want to erase the pixels, i.e., make them transparent... such as for creating ghosts or invisibility in the skins, for example. I have also tried reducing the opacity to zero in the hope that I can draw in transparency but to no avail. Considering that I am having to ask this question means that it is poor of PMCSkin3D to not clearly show how erasing/transparency is achieved. This is, however, often the case in general pixel-art software programs and always the biggest hurdle I have to overcome.

So, could a kind-hearted individual please inform me of how I can achieve transparency in PMCSkin3D? I mean, "Remove or reset pixels" means either this OR that, but surely not one and the same thing... not to a coder such as me! I'm sure I have seen community skins created with many pixels missing. I also, by the way, attempted to draw only on the 'armor' parts and save to file... even with the body parts hidden, but the default white body is still saved. Grrrrr!

Thanks in advance for hopefully eliminating my frustration!

John 😘
JohnnyPilot
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/17/2020 5:14 pmhistory
Level 48 : Master Sus
ArcaneKnight
If you solely use PMC Skin creator, that one always has a base layer color or several colors, that/those color(s) can't be erased on there, so there's always a pixel with a color on there. And transparency doesn't really work on the base layer either, it just makes the color a little more vague. Don't know how well it'll work in game with erased body part pixels, think it's filled up as well.

keyboard_arrow_downclick for how to make

a little tip: try using both skindex and PMCSkincreator, skindex for erasing body parts, then transparent layers can be placed on bottom layer in PMCSkincreator3D, like so:

01/17/2020 5:57 pm
JohnnyPilot
Thank you also for this added information. 😊
09/10/2021 6:11 amhistory
Level 9 : Apprentice Crafter
nugget1567
At the top right corner you see an arrow pointing down and when you click it you see different options, click the first option then you see like a messed up version of your model you just need to find the part you want to erase (because there are labels in the parts).... And there you have it a model with erased parts.

Check out my skin for example: www.planetminecraft.com/mob-skin/the-rock-guardian/
01/20/2020 12:57 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragonborn
TobySuren
Just going to mention that you can use PMCSkin3D for creating invisible mob skins if you set it to 'default texture' when you start instead of using a colour start.
01/17/2020 5:15 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
Makaneek
It's completely impossible, the most frustrating thing about pmcskin3d. Most of us resort to doing something like this.
01/17/2020 5:25 pm
Level 48 : Master Sus
ArcaneKnight
it isn't completely impossible, just look at this skin by Aspirin60 https://www.planetminecraft.com/skin/eye-of-cthulluh/
01/20/2020 12:36 pm
JohnnyPilot
He actually told me that this was created in PS, so no, it cannot be done in PMCSkin 3D. 😟
01/17/2020 5:58 pm
Makaneek
whoa i had no idea you could do that!
01/17/2020 5:55 pm
JohnnyPilot
Thank you... that is PRECISELY what I am trying to achieve! He states that the transparent pixels appear "black in Minecraft online and servers". I just tried using jet black (0,0,0) in PMCSkin3D but it simply shows as black, not transparent. I just had to try that! Clearly, I need to contact Aspirin60 and ask how he achieved transparency.

Does anyone agree with me that "removing pixels" in PMCSkin3D should resort to transparency? And yes, "resetting" pixels should revert to white... or the chosen default colour. Either "Eraser Mode: Remove or reset pixels" is incorrectly worded, or transparency IS possible... but how???

Thanks again for your reply! 😉
01/17/2020 5:35 pm
JohnnyPilot
Thanks for your reply, but most resort to doing something like what? That skin has nothing like transparency, which is what I am after. I know how to add armor pixels. What did you hope to reveal to me in that skin?
01/17/2020 5:55 pm
Makaneek
The skin's torso and arms are the same color as the background, so they look transparent on the menu. sorry for being vague.
01/17/2020 6:00 pm
JohnnyPilot
Oh right... but in Minecraft, of course, the background continually changes! Thanks anyway.
01/17/2020 7:08 pm
Makaneek
no problem!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome