How to grow a server?

Discuss the game, stories, screenshots, videos, ideas, creations, top score!?

Post Permalink
by eric1169 » 3/4/2017

Hi, I'm looking for some advise. I've had a server set up recently and gotten the basics that a server needs. I've made a simple website as well as uploaded it here (ip is thoushallnotplantcorn.fluctis.com:25781 if you want to see it.) Anyways I'm not getting any players and I am looking for advice. Preferably some personal experience would help.
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by NoxyTheHyena » 3/4/2017

I've been running a server for a few years and the most important thing I can tell you is build a community of likeminded people. Hold on to the players you do get.
It all starts with the people. Without the people, the server is an empty boat in a sea filled with other vessels. Not saying you have to bend over backwards for them, but keeping them happy is important. When I started my server, I had no intention on a big server with a bunch of players. Just started out as something fun to do with some friends. After a bit of advertising (keeping the server page here on PMC bumped and setting up votifier) people started coming and staying because they liked the atmosphere. I guess the best way for me to put it is you get out of it what you put into it if you play your cards right.
Level 26
Expert Ranger

Post Permalink
by Lexxonist » 3/4/2017

In my opinion, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, you can never do too much advertising, go advertise on spigotmc, minecraftforums, all those random server lists and also here, planetminecraft. If you feel brave you can even do the dreaded "Spam advertising" on servers, it honestly does work.
Level 17
Journeyman Dragonborn

Post Permalink
by eric1169 » 3/4/2017

Lexxonist wrote:In my opinion, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, you can never do too much advertising, go advertise on spigotmc, minecraftforums, all those random server lists and also here, planetminecraft. If you feel brave you can even do the dreaded "Spam advertising" on servers, it honestly does work.

doesn't spam advertising just make people hate your server?
Level 1
New Miner

Post Permalink
by Suddenc0mbat » 3/6/2017

What I would do is get some friends on the server then advertise because people will see that other people are on and want to join.
Peace Out Hommies
-Suddec0mbat
Level 1
New Crafter
Minecraft: Suddencombat
mc_server: Hypixel

Post Permalink
by qwerty55 » 3/7/2017

NoxyTheHyena wrote: most important thing I can tell you is build a community of likeminded people. Hold on to the players you do get.

This pretty much ^ not that my server has players.

But whats the point in advertising loads if they join and leave
as theres no sense of community?

I find the best way to advertise is - when people like your server they tell others.
Level 18
Journeyman Unicorn

Post Permalink
by avrona » 3/7/2017

Been running my server for around a year and a half, but just having 1 player per 2 days is a lot, so this thread seems useful to me.
Want some entertaining videos on games, ranging from Minecraft, to Overwatch, to Nintendo stuff? Well then come right over to my YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrona
Level 24
Expert Explorer
Says: Hi
Minecraft: avrona
mc_server: Avrona World

Post Permalink
by Suddenc0mbat » 3/7/2017

Ya well get some people and advertise!
Peace Out Hommies
-Suddec0mbat
Level 1
New Crafter

Post Permalink

That's my suggestion
Peace Out Hommies
-Suddec0mbat
Level 1
New Crafter

Post Permalink
by avrona » 3/7/2017

I do advertise. Still nothing.
Want some entertaining videos on games, ranging from Minecraft, to Overwatch, to Nintendo stuff? Well then come right over to my YT channel:
Level 24
Expert Explorer

Post Permalink

Make the server different or original
Peace Out Hommies
-Suddec0mbat
Level 1
New Crafter

Post Permalink
by avrona » 3/7/2017

It is very original. But still nothing.
Level 24
Expert Explorer

Next

Return to Discussion