Opinions: Datapacks which require mods

Silabear's Avatar Silabear10/3/21 8:41 am history
10 emeralds 279 13
10/6/2021 8:11 pm
Gamingbarn's Avatar Gamingbarn
Some people make datapacks with mods required for them to work. Sometimes they can be good, like adding new origins with the origins mod and it clearly states in the thumbnail/title that it is a mod. However, many people make datapacks which are mainly MINECRAFT BUT blah blah with clickbaity thumbnails and titles and it only saying that it actually requires a mod at the very bottom, and yet they have tens of thousands of views.

What do you think?

3 reasons why they are GOOD
3 reasons why they are BAD
If they make it clear that it requires a mod in the thumbnail and it adds something fun and engaging, then it can be adventurous.Most of these types of datapacks are clickbaity and try and make it look as if the creator of the datapacks has done way more effort than they actually have
Many people use mods so adding onto these mods with a simple datapack can enhance their experience.Most of them are just MINECRAFT BUT … datapacks which entertains nobody but they still get popular
They can be good add-ons, especially with mods that the creator has made themselves
They are spammy and they get way too popular too quick, with occasionally 1000 downloads on the first day
Using optifine with resource packs can do many things that vanilla minecraft cannot do and loads of people have it installed.Loads of the work is already done in the mod yet the views and downloads for the Datapack don’t benefit the mod creator, they also sometimes don’t have credit

Don’t hesitate to vote down below and share your opinions in the comments. As many people have different views on this situation, make sure to respect everyone’s opinion. Personally I dislike them mainly, but there are many points for each. If you have any points, mention them in the comments!

This is not meant to target anyone in particular and do not send hate to anyone about this as everyone has a right to make what they want to.
Silabear
Site Moderator
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Bear

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/06/2021 6:54 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Programmer
Gamingbarn
In my opinion, datapacks are a very user friendly easy-to-get-into type of mod. So making the datapack require a mod eliminates all of that.
10/06/2021 6:58 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
There are datapacks that complement/add content to mods. If so say those are invalid then datapacks that add on to other datapacks (such as extra buildings for New in Town) are invalid as well
10/06/2021 8:11 pm
Level 70 : Legendary Programmer
Gamingbarn
True, I was thinking more of the datapack I once saw that required a mod that sort of functioned like a library.
10/04/2021 9:45 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
Pleasenotme
JohnPattox (I'm having problems wit h the reply button not showing up)

Yeah, I just wanted to clarify that the problem is in the specific data packs we see today, and not mod-based ones in general :)
10/04/2021 7:50 pm
Level 48 : Master Procrastinator
mzxciap
I actually like datapacks that work with mods.
A great example is the Origins Mod, witch has lots of datapacks for it.
What I personally have a problem with is datapacks that dont clearly say it.
At least say it needs a mod in the title.
And credit the mod devs.
10/04/2021 7:08 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
The idea of developing datapacks which work with mods is not inherently bad, but low quality datapacks do not get any better by involving mods. For example, mods that add template items or blocks for datapacks to use could be amazing, and minigame-based datapacks that use the fabric tickrate changer mod to get a 60TPS game loop would be revolutionary.
10/04/2021 7:03 pmhistory
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Senpai
YokaiS
The only mod I use for making datapacks/resourcepacks is Optifine because it's easy to install, and yet it lets me do quite a lot more things than in Vanilla

I think the origin mod datapacks are a nice way to familiarize yourself with the formatting of making other kinds of datapacks (although u never use the origins mod for making anything else). We should respect the creators of the mod for encouraging ppl to make cool things in a nice and easy way

I'd argue that the "Minecraft but.." trend doesn't have much to do with them being mods. Regardless of it being made with a mod or not, as long as it clickbaits a large audience, it gets a lot of views
10/04/2021 1:02 pm
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Gears_YT
I think a mod completely defeats the point of a datapack, which is to be easy to code, and vanilla, neither of which a mod is.
10/04/2021 6:57 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
Datapacks for mods add on content to them, like Silabear said, datapacks for the Origins mod.
Making a mod to simply add content to another mod isnt usually done and usually has no official support from the original mod developer unlike making datapacks for it
10/04/2021 12:18 am
Level 86 : Elite Creator
DiversifiedPlayz
DataPacks have some limitations when used with vanilla minecraft like ,no commands for changing height ,size of hitboxes etc.There are work arounds but optimising them would take a lot of time and they wouldn't be as good as mods.Using mods along side DataPacks gives you more control of what you can and cannot do.Mods like Pehkui mod don't have any sort of progression and datapacks can mould them to whatever you want.

However, overusing the same mod to get views and downloads is bad.

Why do such DataPacks get attention?

- I maybe wrong but the biggest traffic source of any popular DataPack is YouTube. YouTubers tend to download DataPacks which they think can work well on their channel, this brings a lot of people to download the datapack and mod.
-Thumbnails do wonders both on PMC and YT , if the thumbnail is clickbaity or presentable , more people click on it, but only if it delivers what thumbnail shows, people will download.

I don't think mod authors would have a problem with DataPacks using their mods as long as credit is provided ,link to original mod is provided and the DataPacks isn't monetised.

Multiple DataPacks using the same mechanics like ____=height ,however seem spammy
10/03/2021 9:02 am
Level 21 : Expert Network
JohnPattox
A combination of datapack and mod is a bad thing. If you are the creator of the mod you can add the complete datapack in the mod. That makes sure the player only has to install the mod and he's done.

Datapacks per-say aren't bad, but the stream of useless datapacks messes up the whole idea of modding. Taking credit, or give the idea you're related to a mod does no good to modmakers. They take time and effort to learn a language, learn how to make a proper mod, and create something unique. Note: mods clicked together with MCreator that only add armour or things like that are as bad as a stupid datapack.

Datapacks that require mods are bad. It's nearly impossible to check if the creator of the datapack has relations to the mod, the mod itself is modified, which does the original creator no good.
10/04/2021 1:20 pmhistory
Level 59 : Grandmaster Nerd
Pleasenotme
I wouldn't say data packs that require mods are inherently bad.

I don't like the kind of data packs that are usually posted requiring mods (morph, hitbox changes, etc.), but then again that's not the only kind of mod or data pack, is it?

And there are even mods that have special data packing compatibility, by which you can modify tons of specifications and values in the mod with far more freedom than the config file could ever provide. A good example of this is the LOTR Renewed mod. Waypoints, world map, scale, and even faction relations can be modified with data packs, which lets you do a ton of new stuff, from tweaking behaviours a bit, or entirely changing what the mod does without having to code the entire mod from scratch and spending five years debugging everything.

I do agree that it should be clarified what the mod does, and who made it, and what relation the data pack has with the mod.
10/04/2021 2:11 pm
Level 21 : Expert Network
JohnPattox
That's a fair point. But I'm sure the creators of the mod and the pack are clear about it. And that's my point: that example is a useful datapack, and a useful mod. They work together and add amazing value to a game.

Just creating a datapack that says it needs mod X, but no-one knows the connection: that's where the problem lies. And the creator of this topic mentions specifically the connection between mod and datapack, so that's how my "it is bad"-remark came from.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome