A suggestion somebody else made on reddit

AGTRigorMortis's Avatar AGTRigorMortis7/22/19 7:23 am
7/29/2019 2:26 pm
Born_0f_Fire's Avatar Born_0f_Fire
I'm not saying this person has a good idea or agreeing with this, but I'm sharing a link about a suggestion someone made about the illager beast in Minecraft. Honestly I do not support it, because it would be no different than forcing private players to play with random ones or griefers on public servers.

I wished people would put more thought into their suggestions before making them. This seems like it would annoy a lot of the community and cause a lot of survival players to quit Minecraft or play on modded or cheat servers. Not everyone wants their builds to be damaged by a hostile mob they have no control over whether it spawns or not. The illager beast destroys a leaf block, fine, who cares, it's still possible to defend against that, but to have them demolish iron doors, stone and fences no.

I don't want to put several hours into constructing a nice house and village, only to come back one day and find it all gone because another player who had visited or lived in it failed to defend it from an illager beast. No support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minecraftsuggestions/comments/9v5czw/allow_illager_beasts_to_break_through_blocks/?sort=new
AGTRigorMortis
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/29/2019 2:26 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Born_0f_Fire
I agree with you about not being interested in any chance that my work can get ruined. First thing I do when I join a server is learn what claim system they have.
07/27/2019 5:23 pmhistory
Level 38 : Artisan Farmer
Mishkia
Maybe if it was just for hardcore. Then players that want that extra thing added can have said extra thing, but players who don't, don't have to deal with it. (and of course limit what blocks)
and well, slight edit after reading down, an idea could be adding it to the settings for when you make the world, like allowing cheats / spawn chest. the only problem I have with this, is that it'd probably only effect Wither. And technically, we have this already: /gamerule mobGriefing false . So, maybe it'd be time to make that an overall option that can later be altered [via option in settings]? Just a thought.
07/28/2019 9:19 am
AGTRigorMortis
If it becomes either exclusive to hardcore mode or a world option we can pick without it affecting all the achievements, then fine, not a big deal. Someone even wanted a mode harder than hardcore called "hostile mode" and honestly something like the ravagers being able to demolish any build would be ideal for that mode.
07/26/2019 10:04 pmhistory
Level 36 : Artisan Artist
lizking10152011
The individual of which you infer to AGT wanted Ravagers to able to destroy any block. That would make them more powerful than Withers in block breaking regard and make them essentially broken. They shouldn't be able to break through stone, brick and stronger materials, especially (and I say this strongly) Obsidian, End Stone, and Bedrock. If ravagers had the capability to break bedrock, people would exploit them for many many wrong reasons.

Not to mention this would outright kill creativity, which that person didn't seem to understand . Imagine putting time and effort into a house in terms of giving it extra detail, only to have a Ravager charge through and break it all like Brick from Borderlands charging through yelling "Here comes the pain train!". I understand that it is Survival, however there has to be a fine line as some people like myself like going the extra mile and actually try to create half-decent builds instead of living in a hole or a cave (As I have seen some people on Normal and Hard do, which is their preference).

Withers do not randomly generate, they have to be generated by the player by using specific items, so having one spawn is by player choice. I can understand a Wither being able to charge through and break things due to that. A mob from a random event should not have that much power. It's like 'Oh hey, the game randomly decided to just destroy your entire build out of feature, not glitch. Enjoy that.' Hours, Days, Months of work, gone. Some people like to have to collect their resources while fighting things, and being artistic with their builds all in one. It's Great, Minecraft offers all of that. This reminds me when the option of Creative Mode was added to Java Beta 1.8 and people raged about it because an optional, not a forced feature that gave players access to infinite of everything, flying, and invulnerability was bad apparently. But it was optional, it wasn't forced. If people didn't like Creative, they didn't have to use it.

Having Illagers randomly show up like if the Illager party randomly shows up as they're passing though is fine, but the Ravager itself should not have that much power. That will just make me want to play Survival Peaceful even more if this would be implemented. A feature as such would add stigma to the gameplay. Imagine if you're the unlucky player who just starts a new world on Survival Normal or Hard and the game generates this raid event day one. RIP World because you'll be killed at spawn over and over again.

Then there is the worry that this can be exploited on Java Servers that use WorldGuard and CoreProtect by abusing Hostile Mobs to grief what is supposed to be protected landspace in this fashion on a large level.

This suggestion would be fantastic as a mod to those who would want it (or a toggleable feature to cater to people's needs if it is implemented into vanilla), but it shouldn't be a vanilla feature without a toggle. It shouldn't be forced onto other players who mostly wouldn't want it, which would push them away. This would essentially be a parasitic game mechanic if implemented into the vanilla game without toggle.

The individual you mentioned (Not the one on Reddit, but the other site) was upset about Villager's Interaction system being more complex, hence harder with the Village and Pillage update, feeling as if the update was forced upon them, so instead of suggesting how to improve the new Villager UI, they instead wanted to make the other half of the Village and Pillage update with the Ravagers and Pillagers harder to deal with, which is the reason why I seen their suggestion as parasitic. So because they didn't like an aspect of an update, they want to take the aspect they do like and make it harder to deal with for everybody else to share the pain if you will.
07/23/2019 4:20 am
Level 82 : Elite Programmer
TheDiamondPlayables
Ravager breaking every single block would mean disaster, but if this is a thing, I'll find a way to anti-grief it and add it into Griefless.
07/23/2019 4:30 am
AGTRigorMortis
Most Minecrafters including myself would probably agree that is a fair and reasonable compromise to do it hardcore only. Hardcore mode is supposed to be a challenge so it makes no difference to me whether that gets this change or not. It's not the mode I and friends are currently playing on, plus this mode doesn't even exist in bedrock edition yet.

I accept there are players more skilled and better than I, but this is precisely why we have different difficulty modes. Also some of those more skilled than I am would probably agree with my opinion on this and so would you, because putting others down for a lack of ability is the sort of thing only an elitist jerk or ableist would do.
07/23/2019 4:01 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
I already made a panda that did this
07/26/2019 10:00 pm
lizking10152011
For fun factor as a java mod, could you make a parrot do this upon being fed a cookie instead of being poisoned?
07/27/2019 1:30 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Blob
HoboMaggot
The panda was a datapack lmao. But the parrot and cookie is most likely hardcoded into the game.
07/27/2019 5:05 pm
lizking10152011
Welp, so much for the fun idea of a sugar rushed parrot mod XD.
07/22/2019 12:21 pm
Level 26 : Expert Ninja
AwesomeNinja886
My only problem is the Ravager (not the illager beast anymore, get it right people!) might be able to punch a hole in a mountain if it could break EVERY block except Obsidian. I sort of think that it would be better for it to only break weak blocks (like dirt, gravel, wool, and sand) so you can't just use a two block tall wall of dirt to defeat a raid. Maybe it could break the wood/logs, because this actually evokes a punishment when you fail at a Raid. It shouldn't destroy chests, though, because that could get REALLY laggy REALLY quick.

Also, you probably shouldn't just use PMC to tell us you don't like that suggestion. You could have just commented on Reddit, or better, made a poll asking who supports this idea and who doesn't.
07/22/2019 12:49 pm
AGTRigorMortis
I suppose it wouldn't be as bad if it only broke the wood blocks or similar, but then what would be the point in having fences if it couldn't keep out mobs that aren't supposed to be in your village? they'd effectively become useless at that point.

I do however have a big problem with the idea of them being able to break bricks and stone, because then you would end up wasting valuable resources and you'd waste a lot more time fighting them off, and have to deal with the frustration of ruined builds on a regular basis. Part of the reason people play private whitelisted servers is because they don't want players doing this to their builds, if a hostile mob were able to do it without warning and with no way to keep it out for good or prevent its spawn on difficulties above peaceful mode, would be just as bad as having a griefer on your server.

as for what I should or shouldn't do, look at the thread posted on reddit, it's closed. They're not accepting anymore replies so I couldn't reply to it even if I wanted to. I thought it would be better if I just shared the suggestion on here asking what others thought about it, it is still about Minecraft, after all.
07/27/2019 8:37 am
AwesomeNinja886
Alright. I just think that people shouldn't be able to literally make 2 block tall walls of dirt.

Plus on the "Traveling Trader" map (free on the Minecraft Marketplace), before the savanna Cartographer gives you the map to the desert Village, you have to repair the well (in Savanna biomes the Village wells are 100% wood) that was apparently destroyed by the Empire a Ravager during a raid. And, during the V&P trailer, a Ravager knocked a bunch of blocks out of the way, including a Hay Bale and a Barrel. I think Ravagers should be able to destroy wooden blocks and "weaker" (e.g. dirt, TNT, sand, gravel, grass BLOCKs, hay, etc).

About the fences, do you really think something that is not even one block thick and made of wood is going to hold back a deranged gray rhino-sized mutant elephant-cow?

I agree that it should be able to destroy more blocks on HC, maybe even destroying things like ore (DIAMOND ORE FARMS INITIATE!!!).
07/27/2019 8:39 am
AwesomeNinja886
And it should be able to destroy Cracked Stone Bricks under all circumstances. They are already broken.
07/22/2019 11:08 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
This is something that I think would be okay in a split mode, perhaps as a function of adventure mode, but fundamentally wrong for the design of survival, which is far enough from its roots as it is.
07/22/2019 12:15 pm
AGTRigorMortis
I think a fair compromise of such a change would be to implement such things in hardcore mode.

While I'm not elitist, I don't want those who want the challenge denied the opportunity to put themselves to the test, if that's what they want. But in the lower difficulties no, I know Creepers can destroy anything with durability below obsidian blocks, but at least they're somewhat predictable and usually don't aggro players who aren't within their range of sight. It is also possible to prevent their spawn by having light level 8 or above.
07/22/2019 8:16 pm
raidarr
Thinking a bit more, it would be most appropriate as an extra feature with a toggle regardless of mode. Player choice, not something simply thrown in.
07/22/2019 10:45 pm
AGTRigorMortis
That is a good point, but I think giving said changes to hardcore mode players would satisfy their urge for a challenge. Less Minecrafters in the community would be begging Mojang to make their game much harder I'd think, and then they can leave the rest of us to do as we please. It's not like the current survival rules are cheating, except of course people who abuse mechanics to get free enchantments via AFK fish farms, I think those ought to be patched because enchanting books are supposed to be rare and hard to get. Otherwise much of survival mode gameplay as it already is, is fine.
07/23/2019 6:05 am
raidarr
Their urge for a challenge is a very broad subject, and as this thread is evidence of, quite a few people aren't hot on the idea. Again, I urge you to consider design that isn't just forced on players, but is rather the player decision.

I can gurantee you that there are hardcore players who think just the same way about this function for hardcore as they do of it in survival, and would not appreciate your idea of forcing it over to them. Additionally, hardcore is not supposed to have that much disparity in gameplay from the rest of the game.
07/24/2019 11:04 am
AGTRigorMortis
That's reasonable, in the best case scenario, a change such as this should become a world type.
But be locked once the world type for survival mode gameplay has been chosen to prevent cheating.

Also this is off topic, but I'd also want cubic chunks to become part of the official game, with tweaks implemented to improve its design. You know, to remove the 256 Y block height, however that also should become a world type.

Current worlds should be convertable to the cubic chunks world type, but not the reverse.
Reason being is because if people chosen cubic chunks, went to negative 70 Y, then switched back to non cubic chunks again, they'd die from void damage, making the rollback of said changes pointless. And this setting should carry a warning to players who want to convert their worlds. I believe I've mentioned this before, but it would improve Minecraft immensely for all players, hardcore or not.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome