Forumskeyboard_arrow_right Minecraft - Java Edition keyboard_arrow_right Discussion

Create Forum Thread

Are huge builds still impressive?

17 emeralds31 replies708 views
created 11/02/2019 9:35 pm by ShelLuser
last reply 11/24/2019 10:28 am
Hi gang!

So this evening my friend Aya & me visited a server we used to frequent very often (= daily) and I was just messing with adding some of my alts when a friend of mine hopped on and asked me if I had visited an event build. Well... I didn't even knew there was an event going 😶 (I don't frequent servers that often anymore) so obviously I never visited said event :)

Anyway, Aya and me hopped over and looked around and the world itself looked very nice, you could really see that lots of effort went into all that.

But the thing is... Every (larger) server you go to will have huge builds to try and impress you. Heck: you can even check the projects area on this very same website and you'll be able to download, for free, plenty of huge builds and structures. Just like that!

And that started me thinking... I think the time where huge builds could impress are long past. Everyone has huge builds, so, you don't stand out anymore.

Don't get me wrong here though: I'm not saying that the effort that goes into building such structures isn't impressive, because it is. But what I am saying is that because there's stuff like that everywhere it simply doesn't impress anymore to "just" build stuff for people to look around.

What do you think?

Poll ended 11/23/2019 9:35 pm.

Posted by avatar
ShelLuser
Level 44 : Master Engineer

comment Login or register to post a reply.

31 replies

11/24/2019 10:28 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
olmocap
World edit usage in minecraft reminds me of the airbrush in scale modelling, there used to be discussion about how it just made easier to make the models so it had less artistic value but at the end of the day what matters is not the tools you use as much as how you use them.
11/24/2019 10:17 am
ShelLuser
Well, this was an interesting discussion and ditto poll I think. Thanks everyone for participating and well, I guess the results speak for themselves :)
11/22/2019 1:00 am
Level 1 : New Miner
ThursdayMorning
I think you're right to say huge builds no longer stand out. That said, Minecraft isn't a museum; it's a video game- anything a player cannot play will not last long. There have been plenty of news articles about how recognizable thing X was built in Minecraft, but now the novelty of that idea has worn away.

Huge builds nowadays (let's call them "modern" builds) still do exist- but they're not in the form of sculptures. They're popular server minigames and mods played by streamers. Modern builds aren't built up any more; they're built out.
11/11/2019 2:48 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
CelestialParagon
I believe builds big or small can be impressive. It depends on what it was build for and what the theme is. I praise those that have the patience to do huge builds as I never had or have the time / patience to. Let alone know what blocks go together! I do random stuff but nothing I consider a massive build.

For all those still making massive builds, kudos from me that stuff is not easy and definitely worth the effort!
11/10/2019 10:22 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Bernie-Craft
It's all about content with creative building regardless of size. I've been just as impressed with smaller builds that give the impression of shape diversity that you would only expect from bigger builds. For every style of build I've created there's a similar one out there that's much better than mine technically, but it takes nothing away from the enjoyment I got from building it. Big or small there's enough space in the Minecraft universe to house both and be equally impressed by them.
11/07/2019 8:22 am
Level 42 : Master Nerd
FireBellFairy
I, personally, like to build big because it's more fun...I think it's because I have more time overall to think of the lore and storyline behind it, and I believe you can add and take detail away from it, etc. I like to think about the storyline and lore while I'm in the midst of building/writing/drawing, whatever I'm doing. But that's just how I think, and how I do things. Everyone is different!

Of course, you can do that with smaller builds, too.

IMO, some people prefer building/looking at larger scale builds and/or maps, and some people prefer building/looking at smaller scale builds/maps.

I enjoy looking at large scale builds. I enjoy walking around larger scale maps because, oftentimes, they have more to see and enjoy, there's a lot more spread out and sometimes they have large-scale working mechanisms...I've seen small builds with working mechanisms, as well, and they amaze me just as much as the large-scale ones do.

Larger-scale maps often give me inspiration for a fantasy map I've been planning to build in the future.

I adore small details on large builds, and I love small details on small builds, too. I believe some things are better as small scale than they are large scale, vice versa.

Also, the whole topic of using tools or not doesn't really matter. I've seen a few comments on it all ready. I prefer to build by hand, personally, I find it more fun. It's more interesting, in my opinion, to see the finished build and know you've done it completely by hand with no help/tools/etc. When I use tools like Worldedit, or whatever, I feel like I'm cheating my way out of taking my time and putting a lot of thought into the build itself. That doesn't mean others are. I had, and still have loads of friends who use Worldedit/tools similar and make stunning builds, whether they're big or small.

Sure, maybe it's overdone, but if it's what people like and enjoy, isn't that better?

I don't have anything against this, and if my rant came off that way, I'm very sorry.

I see where you're coming from and I think people should more often go out of their comfort zone and try new things, especially when the server they're on is filled with the same thing, repeated over plot after plot.
11/07/2019 7:47 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Terraformer
Barbarian
Let me end my participation of this thread by stating the following:

No anything/something shouldn't impress you because of the size of it. Does a dogturd impress you if its big? no, it's just a big dogturd. If it was a big gold dogturd however, that the dog laid itself. Now that would be impressive.
11/07/2019 7:48 am
Barbarian
Quality. NOT quantity.
11/06/2019 1:46 pm
Level 65 : High Grandmaster Hero
Captain_JEK
Huge structures still are and always will be impressive in my opinion, whether in Minecraft, real life or anywhere else simply because something way bigger than yourself (for example a cathedral or a big vehicle that may be quite loud as well) or something that looks extremely heavy has a great impact on you because you feel so small, whether you like it or not.

The problem I see with modern "huge builds" is that they all are quite similar to something that has already been made before. Many of them use simple geometric shapes (circles in particular which can be generated with World Edit easily) to create some kind of hub, mansion, portal or other structure that has been built a thousand times before. They don't feature anything new anymore and that's boring no matter the size.

Many huge builds these days use overused styles, shapes (circles and triangles everywhere!) and building techniques you can't learn anything new from. They're just... boring, you know? Even though someone put a lot of work into it. It's boring if it's the same old stuff over and over again.
11/06/2019 5:51 pmhistory
Level 59 : Grandmaster Dragon
Roman_95
Depends on what to build. Just after many years, large builds began to be something similar to each other. Personally, I notice that many huge builds today are not much different from each other. Сastles, palaces, skyscrapers, ships, fairies, magicians, dreamers there are already a huge number of such builds at this themes. Need to build something new or something that is rarely built but take it to a whole new level.

For example me. I mainly make dragons. Yes, they also created a considerable number, but I create them absolutely not like the others (poses, volume, size, shape and most importantly colors). And it impresses people. Well, at least it should impress, because sometimes a fence with buttons or a skull of 50 blocks or a small house or something else done in 2 hours is much more impressive for some reason...ಠಗಠ what am I talking about?
Оk I think you understand me🙃
11/22/2019 4:44 amhistory
Level 27 : Expert Creeper Hugger
047Gaming
Yeah Your Build Are AMAZING
There Some Of My Favourites
11/06/2019 11:37 am
Level 1 : New Miner
swiftestcat
They're def still impressive for me
11/06/2019 11:46 am
Level 24 : Expert Pirate
TheRealBlank512
They're still impressive but I do agree that it's time for something different
11/06/2019 4:35 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Skinner
MyracleHC2004
Somewhat.
11/04/2019 5:09 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
JazziSnazzi
i feel like with the great programs and building tools it has become much easier to create large and impressive builds. I think that large but simple repetetive builds are too easy, and true detail is needed to make it look great. there is a great link to a picture of a dragon someone posted in the comments which is a great example of making something big to make it more detailed. I see so many massive builds of things that can be conveyed with much smaller sizes, whereas using 1 block details in a massive build makes it so much better. I feel like the greatness of a large build can be measured in how much smaller it can be built in the same detail; its very hard to copy a 5000 pixel masterpeice in 50 pixels.
brain spill over.
11/06/2019 11:46 am
Barbarian
Less is more in most cases :-)
11/04/2019 5:33 pmhistory
Level 44 : Master Demolitionist
busterdogtnt
Is this impressive enough for you

https://www.planetminecraft.com/project/block-game-mecca/

Also this was built in survival

Any big builds built in survival deserve some respect
11/06/2019 11:47 am
Level 24 : Expert Pirate
TheRealBlank512
Dang that's impressive! all the redstone blocks for that dragon must have taken eons!
11/06/2019 1:14 pm
busterdogtnt
The redstone blocks were actually very easy to get because everyone just donkey duped them
11/06/2019 11:45 am
Barbarian
No, big builds build in survival doesn't deserve respect just because they were built in survival. It's stupid this mentality we have where something is automatically cooler when it's either A, done in survival, or B, done with no creative tools such as plugins, external softwares yada yada. It's not like everyone can just use all tools with no effort at all, it just makes it quicker for those who could already build big. And gives more opportunities to people who would otherwise lose motivation to build after a few weeks and not seeing anything nearly closed to bein finished. Big builds does not impress. And they shouldn't. Great quality builds impress. And they should. (How much does a given build speak to you? Do you feel something looking at it. Does it provoke you? If it invokes feelings in you to see a build, whether that be happiness, anger, sadness, frustrations, or whathaveyou, it's in my book and by my definition Art. Art is impressive, and it deserves respect for the years the artist has put into the point of getting to the stage where they can create such magnificent pieces. Having spent over 10 years working with minecraft myself, it's definitely not been easy. It's taken time. I still have lots to learn.)
11/06/2019 1:13 pm
busterdogtnt
I believe this is impressive. This build was built in survival on 2b2t over a period of about 6 month and was then griefed less than one week after it was completed. Luckily someone took a world download.
11/03/2019 10:13 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Strawberry
VoidPanda
Depends... some builds such as this dragon are more impressive when large and open to express detail versus other builds like this house that are more impressive when smaller, and functional, but still beautiful.
11/03/2019 9:27 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Artist
Rami-slicer
It really doesn't matter how big your build is; if you just make yet another Arc de Triomphe with only stone, it's boring and most likely not very good. If however, you can make a well-detailed arch with a variety of blocks, that had lots of creativity and patience put into it, you have a good build, even if it's not a colossal mega structure.
11/03/2019 9:18 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Skinner
Rustshard
The Mona Lisa is still impressive, despite all of the prints, shirts, etc. you can get. There's something about seeing the real creation that can't be replaced just because you see it more often.
11/03/2019 5:38 pm
Level 23 : Expert Dragonborn
thedutchlord
Huge buildings are still impressive because of the size and the amount of work that people put into the project.
But I can also appreciate smaller and very detailed projects.
11/02/2019 9:45 pm
AyanamiKun
Yes they are!

its still peeps working hard to make those and not every1 has admin privs ya know. Like anaetiem: lots to explore and discover, besides, plenty of builds are just for show only, u cant even enter them.

Its impressive b/c of all the hard work.
11/06/2019 11:50 am
Barbarian
What hard work? All i see is stupid work. and what does admin privs mean? you could simply download any mods and build it for free in multiplayer. theres literally nothing but yourself stopping you from learning how to use great tools like worldedit and voxelsniper.
11/02/2019 9:48 pm
ShelLuser
Fancy seeing you around here ;)

But that's just the thing though: hard work? But everyone puts in hard work to make a build. And then there's also another issue: design. A lot of builds follow specific designs which basically means repeating a pattern over and over and over and over again. The effort is still impressive, but everyone is doing it anyway.

IMO a maze is more impressive than a huge mansion, because a mansion is often a "design" just to look nice. You simply follow patterns and designs and you're done. Yet that doesn't apply to a maze: you need to actually make that 'work' or otherwise people are going to run right through.
11/02/2019 9:51 pm
AyanamiKun
A maze can be a big build too, right? ^.^

But ppl also put in effort into mazes, I dont get the difference (what I also told u on emc).
11/02/2019 9:55 pm
ShelLuser
The difference is that a maze gets visitors something to do, big builds are usually only there for eye candy. You look at it, and that's it.

I'm not saying it's no longer impressive to pull off a huge build, but I am saying that because everyone is doing it...

Take EMC... Most players have shops, and most players who want to go bigger have malls. Some of those look very impressive (HSP ("Horse Shoe Plaza") on SMP2 for example) but because there are plenty of malls the size is no longer as impressive as it used to be. It's still impressive but in the end it's a build like so many others.

Hop onto a server and you get an impressive spawn.. hop onto another and there's yet another spawn. But looks alone aren't enough anymore IMO.
11/02/2019 10:00 pm
AyanamiKun
Empathy's spawn looks pretty cool if u ask me, same goes for Corba.

ofc those aren't really HUGE builds I suppose ^.^

I still think huge builds are awesome :)

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Website

© 2010 - 2019
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome