Ask a successful server owner any question!

HammerCraft's Avatar HammerCraft5/16/13 6:33 pm
1 emeralds 1.2k 83
5/16/2013 10:24 pm
DAP's Avatar DAP
Hey guys,

Cheese512 here from the HammerCraft server.
If you don't already know, HammerCraft is a very large 24/7 server that is the highest quality you will ever see. Just click through to my profile to see the server's post.

Anyway, feel free to ask any question imaginable in this thread, as long as it does not involve cats or the color green.

For example, feel free to post if you are interested about any aspect of our server, or looking for the best practices regarding certain aspects of server running.

Ask away...
- Cheese512
HammerCraft
Level 48 : Master Pyro

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/16/2013 10:16 pm
Level 28 : Expert Engineer
TheWallBattles
Lol. I have an extremely successful server and I do not post treads.
05/16/2013 10:23 pm
HammerCraft
This thread is not about the server. It is about answering newcomer's questions.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 10:07 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
GraveRunner
I've been reading all of these posts and most of them conlude to one thing - Flame war.

Let me go over what has happened:

- People dislike the fact that someone says his server is high quality and you won't see anything like it (I'm not picking sides) and includes it in this thread

- People say the owner is a liar for calling his server huge when it has 10-30 players (Again, I'm not taking sides)

- People are defending Cheese

This all leads to one big conclusion usually as in a locked thread.

~Grave
05/16/2013 10:09 pm
HammerCraft
If you did read all of the posts, you'll see that I suggested this earlier. It is perfectly fine with me, seeing as I don't think people will get over this, and the topic going nowhere.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 10:24 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
DAP
Seeing as the OP agrees to locking the thread as well, and that this is pretty much a big flame war, I am going to now lock this thread.

/lock
05/16/2013 10:13 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
GraveRunner
Unfortunately that's the truth.
05/16/2013 10:05 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Explorer
DarkStar4657
I'd recommend posting it in a blog,that tends to help better and you can explain it more,and it will help you delete the hate comments that people will write out.
05/16/2013 10:08 pm
HammerCraft
The purpose of this thread was for people to respond and get answers in a forum like format.. so it wouldn't work as a blog.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:58 pm
DarkStar4657
Well it's basically a way of feedback,people tend to give positive or negative comments even if you don't want it to happen.
05/16/2013 10:00 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
TechRevolution
However, only the people who have tried, failed, and given up will post the negative comments, when it comes to interrupting a great topic such as this.
05/16/2013 10:03 pm
HammerCraft
Let me give you a sub buddy. These points and the mac logo is enough for me

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 10:02 pm
DarkStar4657
It's the fact that they don't succeed in something that makes them want to write negative feedback to those who are working on their goals.So they basically try to bring them down with them,or that atleast how i think of it.
05/16/2013 10:04 pm
HammerCraft
Exactly.. and that's a bad thing. This is most certainly not the place for feedback on the server, as it is not for this purpose. That's what makes these things off-topic.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 10:00 pm
HammerCraft
But that is not a good thing, once they start to just put you down and make fun of you, with no information to back it up. Once I replied once to the first comment, that should've been enough to stop everyone from posting.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:57 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
...and so my point is reinforced, my friend. Humbleness is a virtue, and pride is the downfall of many.
05/16/2013 9:59 pm
HammerCraft
No... stupidity, assumptions, and confusion are the downfall of many. Things are being blown out of proportion. All I said was that the server is large and profitable. Both of these things are true.

If a moderator would like to close this thread, please feel free. People are just not going to be on topic, and this is not worth continuing.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:56 pm
HammerCraft
HammerCraft
storm2i just dont understand why say hey im a successful server owner that runs a big and popular server when hes really not. He may be successful on some level but his server is no where near big nor popular theres like 10-30 people on at a time..wow soo popular.

Btw if your looking to make a website use enjin cant go wrong very easy to setup and if you customize it which isnt hard it makes it look really nice

1) I said I am successful, and I am. I have made a significant profit running HammerCraft.
2) I said I run a "very large" server. Yes, that may have seemed slightly overzealous to some, but the server is large, and not just in terms of players. We have many worlds, a large variety of experiences to offer, and a great infrastructure/extensive network set up. You have no idea what happened in the server's history or how it works.
3) There is no reason for you to be posting negatively and off-topic on something that does not concern you in the slightest. This is what concerns me with online forums, people just say whatever they say, even if they have no place in the conversation and just trying to downgrade others.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:55 pm
TechRevolution
storm2
TechRevolutionPlease, stop arguing.

storm2Definitely not a popular or big server your actually a joke

HammerCraft
Thank you so much for these kind words of wisdom, sir douchebag. How kind of you to take time out of your busy, busy day to make a post on a topic that is not at all related to what you're posting

Both of you, stop and think.
I'm sure you both are here to have fun. HammerCraft ("Cheese512"), did nothing wrong to you. On the other end, Cheese512, I understand your frustration with the usual forum "trolls" around here, but calling someone a "douchebag", is not appropriate for the family-friendly Planet Minecraft.

HammerCraft is simply offering advice. If you don't want it, then please, don't victimize.

And now for my question, what website builder do you use?

i just dont understand why say hey im a successful server owner that runs a big and popular server when hes really not. He may be successful on some level but his server is no where near big nor popular theres like 10-30 people on at a time..wow soo popular.

Btw if your looking to make a website use enjin cant go wrong very easy to setup and if you customize it which isnt hard it makes it look really nice

Let's explain this again...

His server has a great base of players through his perspective. Everyone has seen big servers before, however, having even the amount of players he may get, is an accomplishment to him, his staff, and other associations. It may be different from your own perspective, however that doesn't mean you can nail him down.

Now, let me put this in my perspective:
storm2Btw if your looking to make a website use enjin cant go wrong very easy to setup and if you customize it which isnt hard it makes it look really nice

So as many know, enjin is a popular website builder. However, I run a website builder (maybe not as big, but a small community), called Liquid. Liquid serves the same purpose as enjin, however we make a few different things. If I wanted, I could make a topic that advertised my service, saying it's better than the competition. No one is stopping me, you, or anyone from voicing their opinion, if placed in the correct area.

HammerCraftAs for the website, we are using a theme from ElegantThemes (.com) on a Wordpress base. If you're interested, the theme is called "The Source".

As I mentioned above, if you ever want to change to a different system (likely won't happen, but I might as well throw this out there), I recommend Liquid over Enjin.
05/16/2013 9:54 pm
HammerCraft
storm2

HammerCraft
Thank you so much for these kind words of wisdom, sir douchebag. How kind of you to take time out of your busy, busy day to make a post on a topic that is not at all related to what you're posting

I'm sure you both are here to have fun. HammerCraft ("Cheese512"), did nothing wrong to you. On the other end, Cheese512, I understand your frustration with the usual forum "trolls" around here, but calling someone a "douchebag", is not appropriate for the family-friendly Planet Minecraft.

HammerCraft is simply offering advice. If you don't want it, then please, don't victimize.

i just dont understand why say hey im a successful server owner that runs a big and popular server when hes really not. He may be successful on some level but his server is no where near big nor popular theres like 10-30 people on at a time..wow soo popular.

1) I said I am successful, and I am. I have made a significant profit running HammerCraft.
2) I said I run a "very large" server. Yes, that is slightly overzealous, but the server is large, and you have no idea what happened in the server's history or how it works.
3) There is no reason for you to be posting negatively and off-topic on something that does not concern you in the slightest. This is what concerns me with online forums, people just say whatever they say, even if they have no place in the conversation and just trying to downgrade others.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:45 pm
Level 1 : New Dragonborn
storm2

HammerCraft

05/16/2013 9:43 pm
HammerCraft

HammerCraft

Thank you, finally a sensible human being
As for the website, we are using a theme from ElegantThemes (.com) on a Wordpress base. If you're interested, the theme is called "The Source".

- Cheese512
P.S. Changed some verbiage.
05/16/2013 9:35 pm
TechRevolution
Please, stop arguing.

HammerCraft

05/16/2013 9:29 pm
HammerCraft
Nebula111
HammerCraft

Also, to all of the derailers here, we just got back up to our normal player gathering of 14 players. We normally max out around 30-35, but this is an off time.

- Cheese512

P.S. I'll most likely be making a blog about some good plugins to use sometime soon.

Still not "very large"

Obviously that depends on the size of your scale... And keep in mind that "very large" does not only revolve around the number of players, but also the infrastructure of the server network, plus the amount and variety of worlds.

Once again, back on topic.
- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:24 pm
Nebula111
HammerCraft

Also, to all of the derailers here, we just got back up to our normal player gathering of 14 players. We normally max out around 30-35, but this is an off time.

- Cheese512

P.S. I'll most likely be making a blog about some good plugins to use sometime soon.

Still not "very large"
05/16/2013 9:18 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner
HKDittrich
Is there any easy way to do permissions? seems like such a hassle.
05/16/2013 9:19 pm
Leeberator
I personally use PermissionsEx, which takes slightly more time to learn than GroupManager, but is a lot more flexible and is a lot more practical.
05/16/2013 9:21 pm
HammerCraft
Agreed. It is much, much better.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:15 pm
Level 1 : New Dragonborn
storm2
Definitely not a popular or big server your actually a joke
05/16/2013 9:20 pm
HammerCraft
Thank you so much for these kind words of wisdom, sir annoying. How kind of you to take time out of your busy, busy day to make a post on a topic that is not at all related to what you're posting to downgrade someone else. now yes, from what I see, you have a large server with a lot of votes. However, this does not give you the superiority to make assumptions based on minimal research purely to diminish someone else.

Why not get a life and stop derailing threads and downgrading others? treat people how you'd like to be treated, and I bet you wouldn't like it if dozens of people came and posted something like that about your server. It's made even worse because the thread is not related in the slightest.

I have reported your post. Again, I am asking that we return this thread to it's original and desired topic.
- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:14 pm
HammerCraft
TheShadbusher

Might I recommend Grief Prevention for the survival world? It's worth any effort to switch over to it.

Really? Residence is really, really nice. I'll look in to it though.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 9:04 pm
Leeberator
HammerCraft
TheShadbusher
HammerCraft
Anyone have a legitimate question so that we can get this thread back on topic?
- Cheese512

Sure.

Out of curiosity, what plugin do you use for player protections?

In survival, Residence. In creative, PlotMe. In hardcore, your fist. In Harmony and Arenas, you don't need it.

- Cheese512

Might I recommend Grief Prevention for the survival world? It's worth any effort to switch over to it.
05/16/2013 8:57 pm
HammerCraft
TheShadbusher
HammerCraft
- Cheese512

Sure.

In survival, Residence. In creative, PlotMe. In hardcore, your fist. In Harmony and Arenas, you don't need it.

- Cheese512

05/16/2013 8:54 pm
Leeberator
HammerCraft
- Cheese512

Sure.

05/16/2013 8:44 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Dragon
jayman9696_
I can see your good at "server art" but.....

Maybe ill join sometime. Get some good info to make a server better.
05/16/2013 8:49 pm
HammerCraft
All that you've seen so far is the marketing art... so join if you'd like to see the actual server and be able to make correct assumptions about it.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 8:39 pm
HammerCraft
Ok guys, this is getting ridiculous. You are completely derailing the thread from its intended purpose. If you'd like to talk with me personally, feel free to PM me. Otherwise, please stop making idiotic assumptions.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 8:37 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragonborn
HockeyFishy
Dang... talk about modest. You could say anything but 'successful server owner' but instead you choose that... I have a question.

Do you know what humble means?
05/16/2013 8:41 pm
HammerCraft
"Successful" means "profitable". You obviously have no idea how much money we have made from the server, so please do not make assumptions about things you do not have information for.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 8:36 pm
Nebula111
LOL You call 5 a very large server hahaha
05/16/2013 8:34 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Taco
Jacobman208
^^^^^^^^^^ I was about to say that haha
05/16/2013 8:33 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Cake
INSANExBEASTx
Are you interested in a new spawn/hub? Me and my team on builders are professional and will build a great spawn/hub that can suit any theme. Please private message me if you are interested an we can talk on Skype.
05/16/2013 8:36 pm
HammerCraft
We have our own team of builders, but thank you for the offer.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 8:25 pm
Leeberator
HammerCraft ...but let's keep this thread on topic.

I agree.
05/16/2013 8:06 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Caveman
MCRique
Is it a good idea to splurge for a dedicated IP?
05/16/2013 8:32 pm
HammerCraft
I have to disagree with the previous answer. If you're serious about your server, you should definitely consider purchasing a domain and setting up a redirect to your server. Do you ever see large servers with ips like 154.79.254.285.1:25978? Much better to have something like "play.hammercraft.net".

Hopefully that helps,
- Cheese512
05/16/2013 8:23 pm
Leeberator
If you mean a hostname, no. It's not worth paying for.

You can get a free one at http://no-ip.org/. The only "catch" is you have to update it every 30 days, but that's basically going into the hostname's edit page and clicking "update host."

It offers hostnames in the form of, say yournameofchoice.no-ip.org, yournameofchoice.zapto.org, etc.

But, hey, it's free.
05/16/2013 7:45 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
GxG
What kind of server are you running? RP? Survival? Vanilla?
05/16/2013 8:26 pm
HammerCraft
Just click on my name and then "HammerCraft" for more information on the server.

- Cheese512
05/16/2013 7:42 pm
Level 25 : Expert Engineer
LiquidChildren1
Do you have your own plugin maker, as well as a rounded team of specialized staff, like a redstoner, a builder, and the like?
05/16/2013 8:25 pm
HammerCraft
We have a plugin dev, a redstoner, and 6 members of the HammerCraft Build Team.

- Cheese512
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome