Bukkit on a netbook!? ...no, im for real :)

RynzAMasta007's Avatar RynzAMasta0078/15/13 2:27 am
1 emeralds 343 4
8/15/2013 11:55 am
HaloMrFrags's Avatar HaloMrFrags
This little Idea...

I am one of those people of probably many who run there personal Bukkit server client from the same computer they play there game on for the purpose of playing with personal friends.

I recently built a little simple server for me and a few of my rl friends to play on. It has 9 slots on a 6mb/s upload on a wired internet connection from my computer. I usually have about 6-7 of my friends on it at any one given time. I run the Bukkit from my laptop and play on it with my friends at the same time however...

I have a 5 year old laptop and some times during a mob arena game after about the 10th wave when things start to get intense, the lag kicks in. I've figured out if I play during the day when no mobs are around outside of the arena's. Things seem to run ok. (playable) but...

I am bending towards the fact that my computer is just to slow and im not hosting a server for never more then 6-7 people at any given time so I'm blaming it on my computer's ability to do both at once (game and Bukkit).

To the point-
....Soooo, I have this little Netbook and it has had some miner upgrades and rivals my own computers specs except for the video. A server client doesn't render graphics so i Was thinking...
What if I wired my Netbook to my router (ethernet) and ran the Bukkit client from my Netbook!? sounds crazy retarded doesn't it?

Here is my reasoning -
my laptop has windows xp sp2 downgraded from vista. It has 4gb DDR2 ram and 3gb's of it is useable. its gota x1200 ati card that has no dedicated vram. it uses hyper transfer memory and a 2.1ghz 64bit duel core.
it plays my music and runs Minecraft and the Bukkit at the same time.

My NetBook also has a Windows xp sp3 downgraded from windows 7. it has 2gb DDR3 ram. its got an interesting processor though. its a 1.6ghz (4 THREAD) duel core. what that means is it works like a quad core on 2 cores. its designed to move heavy data quickly. The Netbook has 28 background processes thanks to my computer management skills and it feels fast when i use it. SO!? what if I dedicated the thing to only do one thing and one thing only. My Bukkit.

what do you think? I don't wanna hear, "get yourself a host" lol, its not possible at the moment.
RynzAMasta007
Level 49 : Master Architect