Do you prefer Minecraft’s yearly updates, or would you prefer if Mojang took a 2-7 year break to make a huge performance/Quality-of-life update?

BookWyrm_'s Avatar BookWyrm_5/12/22 6:08 pm history
6/5/2022 5:38 am
WhisperOfTheWild's Avatar WhisperOfTheWild
The title explains most of it, but to specify the second option, the huge hypothetical update would take a few years to complete, and would not add any new features (as in mobs/items/blocks) with the exception of Java/bedrock parity. The update would basically completely rewrite most of Minecraft’s systems from the ground up, (the lighting engine, chunkloading, how redstone is processed, etc.) increasing Minecraft’s performance by at least 5x. Complete vanilla parity between Java and Bedrock would be added, and Java’s datapack system and bedrock’s addon system would be greatly expanded and merged into one system. the rendering engine for Minecraft would now have full support for blockbench generic models (think slanted surfaces, triangles, stuff like that). Resource packs would now support basically everything optifine does, and possibly more, lots of new QOL commands would be added, some structures might get updates, and some new creative-only items, blocks, and features would be added to help with building and decoration. To further specify (A.K.A I adjusted slightly due to really helpful feedback in the comments), Minecraft would not be completely devoid of updates during the rewrite, mojang would push small yearly (or maybe even more frequent) updates including bugfixes, optimizations, and occasionally small but fun new features to play around with like new redstone mechanics, gamerules, new building blocks, etc. in order to keep Minecraft alive whilst the huge “Performance and Parity update” is in the works. (I’m quite proud of coming up with that name lol)

Mainly asking this because the yearly updates are obviously rushed, with mojang struggling to add all the promised features each time, which has been quite evident recently, and Minecraft is steadily getting a lot more resource-heavy though many mods show that Minecraft can be optimized and improved upon by alot.

Poll ended 06/01/2022 6:08 pm.

BookWyrm_
Level 25 : Expert Dragon

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/05/2022 1:51 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Juzambas98
You litterally called this one the PP Update you know? that's not so family friendly by your part.
06/04/2022 5:34 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Warrior
Warrior_MC
Well the Performance and Parity update would really be nice, except for the redstone part. I really like how redstone is now and I don't think they should change anything (except adding some really requested blocks or features such as the ability for dispensers to place blocks and to mine them).
Also you're right: it seems like Mojang is really doing the updates without adding everything they say they will do, such as:
-The bundle (it's been 3 years already)
-The fireflies (which have been canceled for some stupid reason)
-The birch forest (which looks just AWESOME)
-A use to the fletching table (it really needs one)
And some more things I can't remember
Also, Mojang said that they won't add the fireflies cause in real life fireflies are poisonous to frogs, and that it would make the game less realistic. You don't have to think to realize that Minecraft is no way near to real life in term of realism. So I think there might be something else going on in Mojang that let them decide that they won't add the fireflies, and they just don't wanna tell us.
06/05/2022 5:38 am
Level 43 : Master Enchanter
WhisperOfTheWild
about something else being the reason they wont add fireflies to minecraft i don't think that something else going on.
05/29/2022 2:43 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Miner
Damii_170
I mean I did like the secret Fridays updates those where quite nice.
05/29/2022 10:53 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Botanist
whozclover
yearly updates>>> i loose interest very easily so small tweak updates (eg a birch forest update that adds 2 new flowers and 1 new mushroom (with its respective steams n stuff) will do me well personally as a player but to keep them small (nothing caves and cliffs style) so the big quality of life stuff can still go on behind the scenes)
05/29/2022 11:02 am
BookWyrm_
I concur, as long as some interesting content is still added the community will stay alive and even do better since we have more time to play around with new features, and then the huge QOL/Performance stuff will go on and then when it’s finished we’d probably get a huge end update or something that the small updates will have laid the groundwork for
05/29/2022 12:08 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Botanist
whozclover
to reiterate my point, really small basic updates, legit like 1-2 items would keep me into a game, it gives me a regular bi-yearly thing to be excited to mess about with and look forward too will do the community fine. As basic as a new flower is just fine, now the simplicity of these lets you get on with a huge update behind the scene, so both parties keep happy! I do understand the people who want to wait a long time but its not the path that I believe will help the game personally :DD
05/29/2022 2:36 pm
BookWyrm_
Yep, we really only need small updates, some medium one like new redstone blocks would be nice, but yeah, just a decoration block or two every once in a while is all it takes
05/22/2022 3:49 am
Level 41 : Master Mage
The Great Magispeller
Minecraft should add these features for reality(If it is from bedrock,add [​BE])

Skeleton horse is wolf's enemy
Update Ziglin and Zoglin's texture to much like piglin and hoglin
Hoe has higher attack damage and sweep attack[​BE]
Drowneds can swim and has glow eyes[​BE]
Ghasts has glow mouth
Enderman has more realistic eye[​BE]
Turn Golem's hp to durability
Higher Animal's hp
Update Arrow's texture to let is head not look like that is was made by iron
Flint,Shears,Prismarine shard,Netherite scrap can deal more damage
Cannot attack by holding Pants,Foods,Seeds,String,Egg,Spawn egg,etc
Harder Gold items(They are not that weak in reality)
Impaling can deal more damage to mobs in water or rain[​BE]
Wooden axes cannot destroy Shields
Sheilds will destroy by Iron golems,Dragon's charge attack,Charged creeper's,Wither's,Bed's,Respawn anchor's and End crystal's explosion
Fire charge can throw
05/22/2022 3:36 am
Level 21 : Expert Network
Budderman18_youtube
Java desperatly needs a huge re-write. ESPECIALLY on the server side of things. We really need multi-threading

One issue though about this, bedrock doesn't really need this kind of update, so what are they going to do with them? I would propose a parity update to make bedrock as close to java as possible.
06/04/2022 5:44 pm
Level 40 : Master uwu
PaintsplattersMC
Even though server jars such as Paper, or Purpur help a lot, async / multithreaded entity handling would be a dream come true when it comes to performance.
06/04/2022 5:19 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Waveluke
Second multithreading
05/21/2022 10:35 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Townstone
Somewhat biased here -

But quite a large majority of Minecraft players plan on servers/networks instead of single-player. Nearly all popular servers require plugins/mods to operate correctly. When Mojang updates the game every few years they force servers to choose from two options: stay updated or lose quality. This can make it difficult for players to switch between servers; often servers run on different versions (1.12.2 vs 1.18.2)

If Mojang delayed updates, it would give developers and server owners time to get everything updated, and it would provide a more uniform experience to online players.

Additionally, many of Mojang's updates feel incomplete/unfinished. Planning when building a server can be difficult because there's never a clear schedule/plan from Mojang and Mojang can often release updates that change the game so wildly that server infrastructure has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

From Mojang's perspective, Minecraft would diminish in popularity if it went that long without an update. By updating so frequently, Mojang has created an expectation within communities that updates will continue to be released. This expectation puts more pressure on Mojang to release updates, in turn making an update-hungry monster that will eventually catch up with Mojang.

I suppose we will just see what happens.
05/15/2022 9:40 pm
Level 21 : Expert Miner
Dermugettum
This was a tough vote. I would like to see the devs put more time and effort to make sure the game feels more like a complete, fixed product, and that no promised features or improvements are left in the storage area.

I've never been able to get into Survival Mode very well, so I've never legitimately beaten the Ender Dragon. To add to that, my survival worlds that I revisit after months of inactivity feel pointless when there's a new update adding stuff that my maps don't have. I'm more of a creative mode guy and I like making resource packs and data packs. I love seeing new immersive features in vanilla Minecraft, but I really watch for any chance to make mapmaking and customization easier.
05/14/2022 3:12 pm
Level 75 : Legendary Sus
Nitgo
I prefer the old combat system
05/22/2022 3:38 am
Level 41 : Master Mage
The Great Magispeller
I agree,1.9 pvp is HARD
05/14/2022 10:59 pm
BookWyrm_
I agree, we either need the old combat system back, or a big overhaul of the current combat system to be much batter and more fun
05/22/2022 3:40 am
Level 21 : Expert Network
Budderman18_youtube
--> a big overhaul of the current combat system.
They actually ARE doing that. Mojang has been running a 3rd combat system for almost 4 years. They've been trying to listen to community feedback to try and make it as perfect as possible, AND make it just as fun on all controller types (pc, console, mobile).

here's the wiki page about them.

minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Java_Edition_Combat_Tests
05/22/2022 2:30 am
Level 45 : Master Answer
rotgruengelb
--> A big and good overhaul
or else the combat system is getting even worse
05/14/2022 3:02 pm
Level 21 : Expert Farmer
TTVSpaceNerd1968
I would prefer waiting a while for an update because it gives the players a good amount of time to start exploring their new updated world. I think that if players were updating their game yearly, then it would get boring of expecting a new update. If an update were to come out yearly, then the new updates would feel out of hand and rushed. This is just my opinion :D
05/14/2022 11:01 pm
BookWyrm_
I agree, probably it would be nice to have very small yearly updates for bugfixes and small useful features like more redstone mechanics or something whilst mojang worked on a big rewrite, so people stay interested in the game and everything, but no massive rushed updates with huge issues and delayed/missing features
05/14/2022 5:38 am
Level 6 : Apprentice System
JustAnotherDeletedAccount
How about a yearly update that has quality of life improvements, performance rewrite and bug fixes
Currently it feels like Mojang is doing the opposite taking a few years but then not having quality of life, bug fixes, etc.
05/14/2022 11:02 pm
BookWyrm_
Yeah, personally I would prefer super small yearly updates that add nice new features and mechanics, plus bugfixes while mojang works on a huge update/rewrite
05/13/2022 3:56 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Sleepy Drifter
Despite Minecraft's popularity, I heavily doubt it could survive that long of a content drought. As nice as it would be to have a performance update, there's no point in performance if the game's health suffers because of the development time.
05/14/2022 11:04 pm
BookWyrm_
Yeah, probably the best option would be to push small yearly updates with bugfixes and useful new features like new redstone mechanics, building blocks, and other small stuff things to play around with while mojang works on a huge update/rewrite in the meantime
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome