forum Forumsplay_arrow Minecraft fiber_manual_record Discussion

Finite Worlds on Java?

1 emerald8 replies178 views
created 01/18/2019 6:55 pm by Gotta be Joshing me
last reply 01/19/2019 8:37 am
Should finite worlds be available on MC Java? I'm not saying they should be the default but an option (and maybe the default for older/lower end hardware) as this would help reduce lag on most machines since Minecraft seems to get more bloated with every update. Mojang could add this as a setting for when you create a new world by choosing a default size, or a custom size with the minimum size being somewhere around 256x256 blocks along with the option to just make it infinite as well as the option to make finite worlds infinite. With that being said, this could easily become a mod.
Posted by avatar
Gotta be Joshing me
Level 1 : New Miner

8 replies

01/18/2019 10:53 pm
Level 23 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Seeing as having an entire world with 60 million by 60 million by 256 blocks would be 60.4 petabytes, good luck finding a cumputer that can store that much. But even though a fully generated world is that large, but it only stores what has been explored, and only uses the Memory of what has been generated that login, meaning the size of the world won't effect preformance all that much.
01/19/2019 8:37 am
Level 38 : Artisan Droid
Scott
This. Finite worlds were originally for the stupidly small RAM restrictions on older devices (take the iPod Touch 4th Gen, which a lot of people used).
The game doesn't generate the entire world at once, that'd be stupid. It generates where you go, when that's needed.
01/18/2019 9:23 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Engineer
Master_Bw3
making worlds smaller has almost no effect on performance, it just saves memory, and if your pc doesnt have enough memory for a minecraft world then you must have like a potato as a memory card
01/18/2019 8:20 pm
Gotta be Joshing me
Nitrox Nova, I'm talking about finite worlds like the ones for older console editions or the Bedrock version's "Old" 256x256 maps.
01/19/2019 6:51 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
InfiniteCorners
Putting up a world border would make your world 'finite' and there would be no difference in terms of assets used by a world with a worldborder set to 128 (making a 256x256 square) and a world hard set to 256x256. The game's use of procedural generation means that assets that have not yet been loaded don't exist and resources not currently loaded as active in the world aren't a drain on your world or machine. I think you're confusing where the performance improvements from Bedrock and Legacy console comes from, it isn't due to world size, it's due to the fact it uses a completely different code base that is better for gaming than Java is.
01/18/2019 7:22 pm
Level 29 : Expert Robot
Nitrox Nova
There is already a world border command for vanilla
minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands/worldborder
01/18/2019 7:05 pm
Gotta be Joshing me
TNHo That's what I'm doing right now, but having this as well as the option to reduce render distance can make performance faster since the game would have to load fewer data in memory, leading to better FPS, slightly less laggy servers, and higher response times. (not to mention having end portals closer to spawn!)
01/18/2019 6:59 pm
Level 20 : Expert Architect
TNHo
How about just lowering render distance. It reduces lag

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome