I had this idea for a while. And it's horrible.

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox2/28/14 11:01 pm
1 emeralds 4.9k 134
3/12/2014 8:33 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
I want to create an educational institute in the form of a Minecraft server.

That's right, kiddos, the thing you hate most in life is now coming to Minecraft!

What would be taught?
I plan to have a variety of classes. We would definitely have Minecraft-related classes, with tutorials about farming, from the basics to efficient mass production, to large-build classes where you learn about standard reliable designs for walls, towers, houses, etc..

If somehow implemented, server-specific classes might be around, with perhaps teachers from a Factions PvP teacher borrowing a classroom to teach their guild members on how to invade and fend off raiders, while I could teach my server players the basics of playing on spheres.

Then you'd also have aid for offline matters. Need help in math? Want to learn Japanese? Come over and get homework help or a nice self-study lesson while you get bored to death in school from the absence of work to do over the weekend.

WHY?
I'm one of the rare people that kinda like education. I'd love to see a Minecraft institute where you come back from school, take out your math homework and talk with your fellow raiders on how to do this god damn Factoring Binomials question.

If you don't have much work from school or want to spend 10 minutes everyday learning a language of choice (Standard Chinese, Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Arabic, Spanish, etc.), you could come over and get yourself enrolled in an unusual course or just barge in a class whenever you like.

Want something more fun? Of course! If you're tired from the learning, come over and teach yourself Chess and 将棋(Shogi). But board games are for nerds! In that case, come over and join the FPS squad, devise some tactics and notes and rush into Team Fortress 2 for some rear-end-kicking.

Learning doesn't have to be boring. At most, the subjects they teach in your local school are boring. But there are many things one can learn that are not boring:
- aiming properly in Counter Strike 1.6
- learning K-Style katana fighting for Gunz
- studying the history of Melaka/Malacca (something you won't get taught in school unless you're in Malaysia)
- learning how to hit on girls
- learning how to make a proper blog post
- learning txtese
- learning how to host a Minecraft server
- learning about the latest アニメ (Anime)
- learning how to use Vocaloid 3
- learning how to clean your computer and keep it from becoming a junk pile
- learning how to play Dota 2
- learning how to identify the main points of a piece of literature and skip all the stupid TL;DR

This won't take off.
Are you sure? I'm not sure. That's why I'm making this topic to find out; seeing Minecraft servers rise as club-like hubs and online community centres would be nice. Everything can still be related to Minecraft; you can discuss server matters, talk about Minecraft concepts, gossip about Minecraft news, go outside to the field and make a quick competition on who can build the best radio tower. It's your choice, though; nobody's stopping you from asking for advice on how to fix the relationship between you and your crush that you just pissed off bad.

TL;DR again, Snowy.
I know. Summary? What do you think of Minecraft servers intended as social hubs where you learn from teachers, talk or discuss, and test out ideas against fellow Minecraft players.
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/12/2014 6:35 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Tuckamon
IGN Tuckamon
Are you mature enough to stay in your seat and follow rules? Yes
Applying as student or teacher? Teacher
If teacher, what subject would you like to teach? Building in Minecraft
If student, what subject would you like to see being taught?
Why you would like to be whitelisted? I would like to be whitelisted because I think that any new minecrafter should be able to learn about what can be done with blocks and how to do it.
What's your opinion on how this server will end up in the future? I think that the server will end up being one of the more popular servers on the list and I imagine that other people will start wanting to make school servers for the modpacks (i.e. hexxit, tekkit, etc.).
03/12/2014 8:33 pm
Snowyfox
*facepalm* Yo dude, wrong topic. You're supposed to post in the other one. lol.

*EDIT* Actually, cancel my previous verdict. Sorry, not accepted, man.
03/12/2014 5:48 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
Jmal116
It sounds cool, but given the nature of people, I'm not sure quite how much learning would actually happen XD

I'm kinda interested to see where this goes though, its definitely a cool idea, but I think that there are just to many things that could go wrong for this to work out. If it does work out, I'd be glad to help out as a teacher or something (I'm pretty good at redstone), but unless you need someone else I think I'll hang back for now and see how things play out.
03/12/2014 12:55 am
Level 46 : Master Artist
Igorgames
This is a good idea i would have building redstone etc but i would drop the non minecraft stuff (there or other places to do that why get on minecraft and do that) A hands on "minecraft school" server is a good idea tho
03/12/2014 12:48 am
Snowyfox
WOO! Due to hyperproductivity and a discovery that there was less work than expected, I managed to single-handedly finish the server tonight! We shall be up and public tomorrow, and until full deployment to the VPS in a few weeks, we'll have to stay with coming on every Friday.

We have a small following of students and one teacher, but we're all part of the building team. So, if you would like to get past the whitelist and be a student or teacher, please reply in this thread using the form that is listed in the SC Yukiyari section : snowcraft-network-pmc-page-t348706.html
03/12/2014 5:38 pm
Snowyfox
Just a quick bump, guys, since we haven't received anything yet.
03/11/2014 7:26 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Sssgth
This sounds fun. However, I think that there should definitely be a Server Games/Minigames/Parkour class, under the name of Physical Education. Yeah, that'd be fun.
03/10/2014 10:06 pm
Snowyfox
Alrighty, guys, we've got some good progress on our server; we should have it ready to run by...2 days. However, it won't be 100% official until about a month, but I don't mind doing something like turning it on every Friday if it's ready to go.

I just set up the permissions, we have essential buildings like classrooms and dorms ready. All that's left is to protect everything with WorldGuard, furbish and finish up all buildings, create some shops (by the way, there's some degree of survival so you'll need to get yourself some food, get an allowance each month, register, etc.) and clean up the registration and administration processes. Uniforms are ready to go, and the textbooks and guides are on the way. So yay! I'll set up a seperate PMC thread tomorrow to open up whitelist requests and applications as teachers.
03/09/2014 10:23 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Network
P0stalOffice
Interesting! and I'm only 12! XD no, really, I like the idea!
03/10/2014 7:52 am
Level 25 : Expert Scribe
mop8899
That's good!
03/09/2014 10:18 pm
Snowyfox
Alright, guys, while Mop is creating a server, us at SnowCraft have begun construction on SC 雪槍学院 (Yukiyari Gakuin) ("Snowspear Institute"). So, yes, we've begun construction on our own institute. Most of the essential parts of the map was done today (we already have dorms and classrooms ready to use), we just need a bit more tweaking and customization, so expect it to be public in less than a month.

Also, our server is cracked, so if you're the type of person that will absolutely not set foot on a cracked server for one second simply for your hatred of piracy, then feel free to stay behind. Otherwise, our institute is open for both mature cracked players and mature premium players.
03/09/2014 5:08 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Warrior
MEZZ
I like it i would totally go in it
03/07/2014 9:35 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Scribe
Arctic_Jeremy
This would be awesome I would love to become a teacher if possible!
03/07/2014 9:41 pm
mop8899
Hi! I am currently the guy that is going to run the server. If you want to become a teacher, please send an email to james@coffecraft.com with this application:
Why do you want to teach here:
What do you want to teach:
Why should we pick you over someone else:
How many years of experience on the subject you're teaching:
Have you ever taught something before like this:
How well do you work with others:
What are some expectations you want to give your students:
Would you want to make a textbook:
03/07/2014 9:21 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
-Kali-
I honestly think there is no point. There are all the Lets Plays to start you off, and Google for questions. It does help to learn to play more, but it would mostly just be a regular server. "Teachers" are staff, can kick and such
03/07/2014 9:33 pm
mop8899
Teacher aren't staff, or at least that's not how it's going to work. You let us work on that part. Teachers will have the ability to kick students out of the class, but not the server. Certain students or teachers will have the commands as staff, but will not be considered "staff." That is how I am going to it in the start. I think it is a good idea, but we'll see how it works.
03/07/2014 9:23 pm
Snowyfox
Tell me where to find a math teacher that doesn't use proper English.

I think some students would like to learn algebra where the teacher teaches adding decimals in regard to the length of each individual song in a dubstep playlist added together for one massive mix. Or learn graphing relations by finding the characteristics of a parabola from an equation and promptly drawing the path of a TNT launched from a TNT cannon.
03/07/2014 9:20 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Technomancer
nyanekomimi
I would like to help make this happen!
03/07/2014 8:03 pm
Level 20 : Expert Toast
Jakethebro101
Snowy, The server is down. I cannot connect, sorry if there is a post that says you cannot connect blah blah blah.
03/07/2014 9:10 pm
Snowyfox
Project already done, so I'm not turning it on anymore. :p
03/07/2014 9:17 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
03/07/2014 7:43 pm
Snowyfox
03/07/2014 12:54 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
Choobies
I'll be glad to join, I may or may not need some help with education ;-;
03/06/2014 10:24 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Archer
Warlock315
If it could be pulled off properly, it would be an amazing concept. However I'd be curious to see how you would manage to deal with trolls/immature people.
03/07/2014 11:46 am
Snowyfox
Yeah...that's the only problem with making these, players with bad intentions.

Anyways, guys, I've started the project server as I promised, for Friday. March break starts for me so I have time for the entire week to work on stuff like my own educational institute. Existing builders, come on in to finish up so we can publish and mop can finish up his server, and new builders, as long as you can finish in 8 hours, you can come in too, as I can create a new 32x32 for more buildings.
03/06/2014 9:55 pm
Tuckamon
I say, just like many others have, that this is a fantastic idea and I support it 100%. A friend of mine and I would like to teach a "Building in Minecraft" class, if the server gets up and running.
03/07/2014 9:26 pm
mop8899
I'm the one currently setting up the server. I think it would be great for a building class, I think I'd take that! james@coffecraft.com with thee answered:
Why do you want to teach here:
What do you want to teach:
Why should we pick you over someone else:
How many years of experience on the subject you're teaching:
Have you ever taught something before like this:
How well do you work with others:
What are some expectations you want to give your students:
Would you want to make a textbook ( Optional ):
03/11/2014 7:20 pm
Tuckamon
I would like to become a teacher. Do I need to email the application to james@coffecraft.com or do I need to wait until tomorrow?
03/06/2014 2:53 am
Level 24 : Expert Toast
nolez15
I'm about as educated as one can get, and yet, I still think this would be fun.

I'm tired of school, but I think having this as a change of pace would be interesting and add some meaning to a somewhat ridiculous game.
03/06/2014 2:37 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
doomboy57834
Tbh I don't think that this idea even if implemented properly would get regular players so constantly need new players.
03/06/2014 12:03 am
Level 47 : Master Architect
radioactiveglucose
Ewwww factoring binomials ewwww
03/06/2014 12:01 am
Level 1 : New Miner
_Absol
I could help teach. I'm a professional at factions cannon making and base building, I can teach them how to make hybrid cannons, scatter shots, walls capable of beating both, I can teach them how to make turbo range cannons capable of strikes from hundreds of blocks away. I can also help with noob classes.
03/05/2014 11:33 pm
mop8899
BOBNOTBUILDING, check out the post above you. That's going to be the server for this. Or atleast, the one I am setting up.
03/06/2014 2:54 am
Level 24 : Expert Toast
nolez15
You might find you have an empty server ._.
03/06/2014 7:03 pm
mop8899
Yeah, PMC took that post down. Check out this one instead, post2801695.html#p2801695
03/05/2014 11:21 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Modder
BOBNOTBUILDING
This is an awesome idea please let me know if or when you have this plan in action I would love to be apart of it!
03/05/2014 11:09 pm
mop8899
I'm starting up a server for this. A beta version might be up by friday. Check out this post: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/min ... l-2769871/
03/05/2014 3:37 pm
Level 42 : Master Fox
LuxLacis
- learning how to hit on girls

GG
03/05/2014 3:37 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
Would definitely join, I've been toying around with similar ideas for a while. Now that you've actually taken the initiative, I will just hook on, if you dont mind ;D
03/05/2014 3:31 pm
Pinku Neko
Sounds awesome!
03/05/2014 12:41 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Dragon
Enderborn_
Seems like a cool idea. My little brother plays minecraft lots and I play it with him. It could be pretty fun for us, and good for him.
03/05/2014 12:35 pm
Level 28 : Expert Taco
Phoenix_13
I'm trying to find someone willing to make a custom plugin for this.
I'm also planning to make it into a server OR help Snowyfox.
03/04/2014 10:30 pm
Snowyfox
Alrighty, guys! Our test server was a nice success, we're turning it on one final time on Friday to finish up our work. The map is untitled, but we're calling it "Begedu Institute".

Today's contributors are Snowyfox, Bluecar06, mop8899, ProfesserCarson, dianakabc123, AxelDerp and another which I unfortunately forgot the name of. We've also found a host to make this idea a reality! I won't disclose who it is though, to keep the suspense and secret.

Once we are done with this project, we will release the map for everybody, although we kindly request that you do not attempt to plagiarize.
03/04/2014 8:02 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Im in , Id be happy to teach basic Aniamtions (Blender, MikuMIkuDance, Mine-Imator) to Simple Mods In eclipse!
03/04/2014 7:57 pm
Level 29 : Expert Spider Rider
ichococat
This is probably one of the coolest ideas ever for a minecraft server liek, wut even. o 3 o
03/04/2014 7:55 pm
Level 22 : Expert Scribe
antenna
Do I have to have a Skype to join? Or can I just go ahead?
03/05/2014 3:26 pm
Snowyfox
You can go ahead.
03/04/2014 7:53 pm
Snowyfox
Bumping, our temporary server is still up. IP is 99.231.212.105. I'll add a page for it later.
03/04/2014 5:22 pm
surferconor425
Seems like a good idea. I support it. I can also offer to be a teacher for basic stuff such as farming as I have been playing Minecraft for around about 3 years.
03/04/2014 5:21 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
DAP
Looks really tough, but if the teacher's actually know how to teach and offer support, it could work out. It would need a lot of setup though, so be prepared! I'd like to see this progress, as so many people have expressed their interest in such a small amount of time. I'll be watching out
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome