Hmm? Please Help

RobhieMattz's Avatar RobhieMattz4/2/17 6:02 am
1 emeralds 603 9
4/10/2017 2:43 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
I'm trying to build a city server in the current snapshot. I already know that It's bad to downgrade but will it be fine if I keep updating it to the latest version? Or It's a bad idea and I should just stick with the latest stable release?
RobhieMattz
Level 26 : Expert Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/10/2017 1:00 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
xMutinous
RobhieMattz,

It would be in your best interest to stick to the recommend build of Minecraft. Diverting from recommend to snapshot's can cause chunk-errors (as experienced in 1.11.2) and could render your world useless till you can fix that chunk.

Sometimes the world-generator can change throughout snapshots and your seeds can regenerate different terrain which can give you some funky looking biomes and cut-in-half mountains.

In essence, just stick to recommend builds if you don't want to face any issues. Also make sure to float around the area you want to build in (pre-load chunks!) It's important to prevent error's in later builds.

- Mutinous
04/05/2017 9:28 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
OtakuMC
If you are planning to go pure vanilla, then yea. The snapshots are fine to use. It's only where if you start using plugins, where snapshots will be an issue.
04/09/2017 11:19 pm
RobhieMattz
wait I thought they are unstable. Even the devs are saying it when you're bout to use it.
04/10/2017 12:52 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
OtakuMC
I don't know where you got that info.
04/10/2017 2:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
It's a disclaimer that's literally right on the snapshots. Here's an example.

https://mojang.com/2016/12/minecraft-snapshot-16w50a/

Snapshots can corrupt your world, please backup and/or run them in a different folder from your main worlds.
04/02/2017 9:58 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Even on singleplayer, there is the chance of version-breaking bugs. When they are released as full versions, that chance becomes nearly zilch.

On servers it's an even worse issue due to the fact that functions exclusive to servers can break when you update to things that aren't completely stable and tested as of yet. It's far safer to simply run with the last full release when building and then upgrade when the core components of your server are updated (plugins and such, as well as the server software whichever type it is).
04/03/2017 7:05 am
RobhieMattz
I'm only using vanilla minecraft tho. And yes I think I might just stick with the latest stable release
04/02/2017 6:33 am
Level 51 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Noctris
It depends on weather are you willing to risk it or not.

Snapshots are beta builds. In betas bugs happen, sometimes world generation bugs, sometimes other bugs that are not too serious.

If you want to be on the safe side go with the stable one, if not then go with the snapshot.
04/02/2017 6:53 am
RobhieMattz
Hmm that leaves me thinking. I don't want to build tons of stuff then regret when they all suddenly disappear. I might do the snapshot building in singleplayer while do the stable building in my server. Thanks for your reply!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome