How to get traffic on your server

LauritsW's Avatar LauritsW2/12/14 6:56 pm
1 emeralds 1.4k 38
2/18/2014 11:19 am
TheNyanBlade's Avatar TheNyanBlade
Hi PMC/The internet!!

I recently re-opened my old minecraft server. When i had my server in the old days long time ago it was pretty strait to get players on my server. I should just bump the server on pmc and the full house....

BUT now i cant even get more that 3 people per bump i make and my avg player status are 4 players. I don't know what i have done wrong/ haven't have done right since i'm low on players all the time.

Yes I have listed the server 20+ sites and Yes i have votifier.

Is it really nessesary to pay 1000+ dollar to get my server advertised? Is it becoming impossiable to have a small server with people online? And only the big networks with advertisements that can survive?

Do you know how to get out of this and get some players?
Please help me ! Discuss and keep the good attitude :')
LauritsW
Level 50 : Grandmaster Taco

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/18/2014 11:19 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
TheNyanBlade
I need a plugin developer.
02/18/2014 11:15 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
Lauritswinther, what kind of server is it? Factions, Skyblock, ect.?
*EDIT*
DON'T GET A HOST! They lag a lot and are expensive!
02/18/2014 11:05 am
LauritsW
Bump
02/17/2014 3:44 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
Maybe people don't like the server because not many people are on it, that's how I feel on really small servers
02/17/2014 3:49 pm
LauritsW
Thats the problem :/
02/16/2014 8:24 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Engineer
12youri12
you shoud tell it on school to your friends and if they like it whey will also tell it to friends
02/16/2014 8:15 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Cyborg
TWSSYesterday
Laggy server - No one will stay, get a decent host such as MPServ.net or EnderHosts.co.uk
Try adding the minigames plugin, players love that.
02/17/2014 3:23 pm
LauritsW
My server doesn't lag for me? Where are you logging on from? The server is hosted in europe that is maybe it
02/16/2014 9:26 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Botanist
Olly
Exactly what he said.
02/16/2014 7:13 am
LauritsW
Bump
02/15/2014 6:29 pm
LauritsW
Should the server have mcmmo?
02/15/2014 12:32 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
doomboy57834
Getting a good banner is the best thing to start on. The one below is not too good but the one on my server page is okay. Just remember them going on your server is the first step to keeping them. Keeping them is a different story.
02/15/2014 11:47 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Modder
vipersick1000
we all go on each other servers
02/15/2014 11:38 am
Level 31 : Artisan Explorer
xPotatoFrys
Well, my advice is to maybe dazzle the server a bit. Fun ranks, cool plugins (like the auction plugin that's really popular) Don't make it too bright and colorful. It might just end up being those servers where people think they can do whatever they want because the bright colors and chat look care-free.
02/15/2014 10:58 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
Uhm, your server is a little to colorful. I can hardly read the chat because everyone has a colored prefix and nickname. Also: Few tips. In the essentials config erase the nickname prefix so it doesn't show "~" and add a space after the permission prefix (i,e, &0[&3Member&0] &r)
02/15/2014 11:31 am
LauritsW
Thanks ill do that asap
02/15/2014 10:46 am
LauritsW
Thats why i made a small server our players are all a piece of our family

So if you love small servers come take a look :3
02/15/2014 10:12 am
LauritsW
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the positive attention!

I have reworked my server desk and it helped a lot If any of you could make me an awesome banner please pm me

-Laur

Btw if you want come check my server out :3
02/15/2014 7:45 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Hunter
Ciberg
Hmm. It can be tough getting players on. I, personally, would rather have 5 mature people I like on my server than 30 immature kids online, but it really depends on how you advertise. If you want people, you have to make your server stand out. Make a good looking banner (Or I could make one for you, if you need) and a forum post explaining your server in the best light you can without lying. If it looks professional a lot of the time more players will join it. Another tip for being professional about it, is staying away from stuff like craftcraft353.no-ip.org, a cleaner IP is better. You can get a free something.tk domain if you just google .tk. Or if you already have a good domain that's cool too! I hope this helped a bit
02/15/2014 7:32 am
Level 1 : New Miner
bugalugs
I'm in the same boat Laurits. But I kept voting, kept bumping on here. Then unexpectedly, I began suddenly to have people coming on quite a bit. But I had no staff! I have a huge server, dedicated with servers attached, so much to do, so much lovely work done...but nobody to help me greet these newcomers. That was my fall down. But how do you get staff if you haven't got players? I trusted a few newcomers and made them mods; boy did i regret that! Got hacked, had to reset up everything completely! So now I'm starting again. I've tried Google Adwords but it's a waste of money. I do think your best bet is to trust this voting system, vote every day, bump every day on PMC, and keep on these forums regularly, discuss ideas and mention your server in these forums as you do. But I do hope you have staff, my friend! Cos suddenly getting busy is a bad thing if you have none! People hate coming onto an empty server. Yell if I can help you at all. I'm a good staffer on another server, too. I like to see people ask for help with this issue on forums, cos it's honest of you to admit that's it's hard; I agree. But for god's sake don't go flashing on random servers to yell out your ip like some desperadoes do! It's a bad look! Staff recruitment ad attracts a lot of attention, I agree with that suggestion. But beware that all will want to be appointed. What you could do to get round that is say they are to be trialled for say three months...
02/15/2014 4:38 am
LauritsW
Bump
02/13/2014 2:52 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Network
Darthmineboy
First 20 are hard, people leave empty servers thus it would be an impossible task to get 20 players on. Organizing some nice events might help you out, an active community is what players seek for. Yet who am I to tell you if I can't even do it myself.

My server is cracked and thus has tons of players online, it has also been online for 8 months so reckon it should get some traffic.
02/13/2014 2:44 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie
planetminecrafter52342
Quality attracts attention, in the absence of players.
02/16/2014 9:45 am
Level 30 : Artisan Artist
ExpertMinecraftian
This explains pretty much explains everything. Get a good host, make sure the server is nice, sleek, and easy to navigate. Make sure staff is responsible. Get good graphics (If a picture of the server, or a banner looks good people tend to join.)
02/15/2014 10:34 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Cake
gbman4ever
Absolutely, I have been playing on a small server for some time now. It has incredible staff and great player base. It has a lot of backstory and is truly the best I have ever played on. It has grown immeasurably in the time I've played on it. I say quality always attracts. (Sidenote: I'm not the owner of the server. I just think it's great! )

- Storycraft.wikia.com/wiki/Storycraft_Wiki
- Storyc.enjin.com
02/13/2014 1:56 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Crafter
James44970
What? No just to advertise pay 1000 pounds/dollars? Well it is worth it if it is forever definatly. But think, is 1000 pounds/dollars what you want to spend on a server that might not get popular? I'm not trying to be mean in ANY way, sorry if I am.
02/13/2014 2:41 pm
LauritsW
James it cost at a minimum 1000 dollars to advertise your server a MONTH...
I am not using that kind of money but the question is Can my server gain any players if i dont?
02/13/2014 2:46 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Crafter
James44970
It probally could gain players. You might want to post a staff application thread, It always attracts players. Post stuff about the server. Ugh its stupid that there is like no way to advertise without paying money. I mean, making your server recently updated is a good idea but it usual attracts 1-20 people tops. They don't really look at your threads like this about it, But then in like 2016 they would be like 'This sounds like a epic server im going on!' But then the servers shutdown.
02/13/2014 9:11 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
make sure there are road signs spaced out correctly on the main road that goes past your server so that the drivers know where to turn off
02/16/2014 10:34 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Crafter
sarcastic_ninja
Lol
02/13/2014 9:06 am
LauritsW
Please someone help
02/17/2014 3:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
InvisibleFlame
I have never run a server but I do possess some common sense which goes a long way. Here is my two sense:

-bumping and only wanting to generate traffic to server is not enough to attract people to want to actually go there.

-There are a buttjilian different servers out there to chose from. Yours has to be awesome and unique. Something you take pride in. Don't just be another server wasting space on the internet.

-What 'value' does your server have and why is it unique? Be genuine! Don't just seek traffic and only traffic. It makes you look desperate and like the common server who wants only to make money. It's kind of like youtubers and the art of attracting traffic. Most of spam and and are loud about saying "come visit my (fill in the blank)....or scream for attention. As apposed to creating something of value and then promoting it properly. Make it be like, this is your project of passion and of pride that you are doing something cool and unique and then promote it respectably without screaming for attention. Make it seem like you are fine with or without the traffic. This communicates that you value your own project your self and that it 'is' of value.

-It can't hurt to require players to first apply to play on your server. It's a possibility that people will only want to play on it more. Don't you only want good mature players? You don't want players who will be a problem on the server!

-I see .......many of us see..........on PMC........server owners who advertise heavily about their server and advertise huge bonuses and even to become staff. In my eyes, this tells me that these servers are the 'last' server I would ever want to play on. Also, too much 'attention seeking' reflects poorly about your server. I'll be honest and say you have crossed that line by posting this. I have no interest in investigating about what your server is.

-But this is my help. What is so special about your server. Is there something in a server that you want specifically and that you can not find in other servers? Are you creating your own server to meet a need that you yourself can not find in other servers? Why? Why? Why? That is the most important question! "why?" is the most important question in everything.
02/17/2014 4:36 pm
LauritsW
Thank you for this good answer.

Yes ofc i get attention from this post and yes who doesnt like that? the main goal from this thread was:

1. How do i tell people about my small cozy server ?

2. What do you want from this server as a player

3. What can i do better on this server ? (I'm not a noob in server buissnes i have had a server for 2 years soon) But what about the plugins i have atm do we need any new ?

4. Generally feedback! Good and bad? One thing i heard one mention in this thread was lag. I have contacted my host about that and i will increase the RAM

But please tell me what to do better thats what the communiti is here for !
02/13/2014 9:10 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Soo, did you not consider the other persons advice?
02/13/2014 1:51 pm
LauritsW
I talked with him and i went on his server so yes i did
02/13/2014 6:01 am
LauritsW
Bump
02/12/2014 7:19 pm
LauritsW
Anybody that can help me ?
02/12/2014 7:03 pm
Level 25 : Expert Scribe
mop8899
you can advertise your in game on play.coffecraft.com That server's main focus is to advertise anything in plots. You can get a plot, and make a little booth. Basically minecon, but 24/7.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome