How to grow a server?

eric1169's Avatar eric11693/4/17 5:51 pm
1 emeralds 2.9k 35
3/23/2017 5:20 pm
Presidente's Avatar Presidente
Hi, I'm looking for some advise. I've had a server set up recently and gotten the basics that a server needs. I've made a simple website as well as uploaded it here (ip is thoushallnotplantcorn.fluctis.com:25781 if you want to see it.) Anyways I'm not getting any players and I am looking for advice. Preferably some personal experience would help.
eric1169
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/23/2017 5:20 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Presidente
My vision is one of peace and justice, specifically for the Small Servers.
03/22/2017 6:41 pm
Presidente
This might be a good time to embrace the Small Server Revolution. Together, united, we shall make our voice to be heard.
03/22/2017 5:32 pm
Presidente
I think we should create a "Small Minecraft Server Alliance" in order to unify small servers against the big servers that gets all the attention. This S.M.S.A. should have it's own rules, its authorities and a website/directory, and some requirements to join and to be part of this "Alliance".

03/22/2017 5:42 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Question: what's wrong with the big servers?
03/22/2017 6:01 pm
Presidente
I feel I speak for many smaller servers when I make that particular point. I am bound to say -and I think I also speak for the other small servers - that we as small servers, don't felt supported by the big ones, as they don't want us to grow.
03/22/2017 6:37 pm
avrona
Lol it's not like that at all. They are just already popular. More people know about them, who then tell more people then more people and so on and so forth. I mean, I run a small server myself and I get around 1 player per 2 days, but I don't blame servers like Hypixel for it, mainly because they done nothing wrong whatsoever.
03/21/2017 1:19 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Miner
jhkoenig
This is by far the hardest part of operating a Minecraft server. The technical stuff is simple compared to the marketing. Most of the platitudes you get when you ask "how do I get players" might have worked in the past, but the market is so jammed with servers that getting above the noise is tough.

And anyone who succeeds in doing that is certainly not going to share the magic ingredient! We're just going to have to slog through this together.

Good luck!
03/15/2017 2:29 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
IronWolf16
Spam advertising doesn't work consistently and can bring a lot of salt to your server.
The most recent server I was helping build had a few people come over from a server that was close to death. Someone who was from the dying server went their and spammed the IP for the server I was working on, and we started to get people coming from it.
But it wasnt good.
Many were banned after they cussed out several staff members, calling us cancerous, accusing us of stealing their servers ideas, ETC.
not a fun day.
03/15/2017 1:35 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
LexxonistIf you feel brave you can even do the dreaded "Spam advertising" on servers, it honestly does work.

NovaBlitzGet people to be active. Get all your friends on 24/7 and advertise EVERYWHERE!!! Even if it seems scummy, thats how stuff works

One one hand, you may get away with it. On the other hand, there is the chance that you will advertise to the wrong server and seriously get people on your case. Once that happens, your server can drop like a concrete fish. Especially if the people you piss off happen to be marginally competent at taking servers out, which isn't as rare as you may think.

And it's a little annoying when people start spamming your advertisements with screenshots of your own spam. I should know. :p
03/15/2017 8:21 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
PokemonArmy114
There are many ways to grow a server. First, you need a seed. Some seeds are Prison,Factions,Skyblock,Survival and Creative.
Second, you need AdvertismentWater to hydrate the server.
Then, if you used all the seeds, some fertilizers you can use are bedwars,skywars,paintball,kitpvp and any other unique minigames you know.
Finally, you need a finishing polish. Try to get New Devs and make custom plugins for all the things you have made to make it original.
There you have it, you grew a server
03/15/2017 7:54 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Artist
NovaBlitz
Get people to be active. Get all your friends on 24/7 and advertise EVERYWHERE!!! Even if it seems scummy, thats how stuff works
03/15/2017 7:34 am
Level 40 : Master Nerd
Endure_Slayer
Make fast paced minigames. Mineplex is super popular because it has a ton of fast paced minigames to keep up with kids' attention spans.
03/21/2017 6:51 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
AndGK
Oh my god, I love you. Didn't laugh that hard about minecraft in a while.
03/15/2017 6:07 am
Level 23 : Expert Princess
alicat
Ive been doing servers for 5 years, you want to keep your community base occupied but now days is getting to the point where you actually have a community base.
03/15/2017 4:04 am
Level 29 : Expert Architect
Dras
After looking at your servers page i think you need to add screenshots of other things on the server (also press f1 to hide the UI for your screenshots)

You also need to improve the description so people have a better idea of what the server is about, what it features and at the very least a basic list rules as some people will want to know whether it's a pvp enabled server or a server that allows griefing etc.

Lastly, having some sort of server banner; even if it's just a screenshot with the servers name and main plugins, you'd at least have something for others to see so they will come visit the servers page if they are interested.

NVM, accidently clicked another fellows profile and answered of that x3
03/14/2017 9:05 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Suddencombat
really?
03/15/2017 2:59 am
avrona
?
03/12/2017 9:29 pm
IronWolf16
well, if you cant hold players, its because your server lacks something. You may do all the right things, but if your server doesnt have something that makes it worth my while to spend time playing it, then im not coming back.
03/08/2017 1:16 am
avrona
The thing is I haven't gotten a core community as we only get around 1 player per 2 days.
03/15/2017 3:23 am
Level 1 : New System
benets
One thing I highly suggest is building a website or forum for your server. I have XenForo and a server which I could host your website on, for free. Websites are like Minecraft servers, but slightly different: you could post your server website on these forums, and there is probably a higher chance of someone visiting that website rather than the server. I am currently writing this post on my iPhone right now - I could visit the website but not the server because I am not at home.

Hope this helps.
• Josh // ProMinerOfMC
03/07/2017 10:38 pm
IronWolf16
So, i have a couple years experience with server ownership and management, I never reached the heavenly abode of 'Super ultra popular' but I did manege to get to a point where my servers were peaking at close to 40 players on weekends, and 25 players on weekdays. The current server I help run now just opened and has peaks of around 15 players on week ends and 8 players on weekdays.
So, how do you grow your community?
Well, some of it takes luck. The first people to become dedicated players will form your 'core' community. They are the ones that seem to stay while other players play for a week and disappear without a trace. These are the players that define your server.
Is it cancerous?
Is it salty?
Is it friendly?
You get the picture.
You usually control this, so it takes a bit of luck and making sure you dont advertise in places you know that will get you players you dont want.

Once you have a good core community, more players will stay are it will just start to grow. Having a unique server is good, however, without a proper core community, you will drive away any prospective player that would otherwise stay.
03/07/2017 8:29 pm
Level 29 : Expert Mage
Pick1ehead
Hey Avrona! Long time- no see. Sorry to hear your guys' servers are not doing well.

I wrote up a blog post on this topic a while back if you want to check it out: http://www.planetminecraft.com/blog/how-to-shoot-your-server-off-the-ground/

Also, I might add that paying for advertisements is not necessary. Updating your server post here on pmc and on minecraft forums usually gets about that 1-6 people coming per day each (It can vary depending on the quality of the post, included screen-shots, the quality of the server, and the originality (Is that a word? (Apparently, there's no red line under it...)) of the server). minecraftservers.org is, I believe, the best place to have your server listed (So long as you also have a voting plugin installed and set up).

Good luck guys.

~~ Purplepigfarm
03/07/2017 10:57 am
avrona
I have no plugins at all but I do have ranks.
03/07/2017 10:43 am
Suddencombat
Do you have custom plugins and custom ranks and all that jazz
03/07/2017 10:41 am
avrona
It is very original. But still nothing.
03/07/2017 10:40 am
Suddencombat
Make the server different or original
03/07/2017 10:39 am
avrona
I do advertise. Still nothing.
03/07/2017 10:29 am
Suddencombat
That's my suggestion
03/07/2017 10:29 am
Suddencombat
Ya well get some people and advertise!
03/07/2017 10:28 am
avrona
Been running my server for around a year and a half, but just having 1 player per 2 days is a lot, so this thread seems useful to me.
03/07/2017 7:03 am
Level 23 : Expert Narwhal
qwerty55
NoxyTheHyena most important thing I can tell you is build a community of likeminded people. Hold on to the players you do get.

This pretty much ^ not that my server has players.

But whats the point in advertising loads if they join and leave
as theres no sense of community?

I find the best way to advertise is - when people like your server they tell others.
03/06/2017 8:56 pm
Suddencombat
What I would do is get some friends on the server then advertise because people will see that other people are on and want to join.
03/04/2017 6:14 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Dragonborn
Lexxonist
In my opinion, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE, you can never do too much advertising, go advertise on spigotmc, minecraftforums, all those random server lists and also here, planetminecraft. If you feel brave you can even do the dreaded "Spam advertising" on servers, it honestly does work.
03/04/2017 7:08 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
eric1169
doesn't spam advertising just make people hate your server?
03/04/2017 6:04 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Ranger
VascoTheDog
I've been running a server for a few years and the most important thing I can tell you is build a community of likeminded people. Hold on to the players you do get.
It all starts with the people. Without the people, the server is an empty boat in a sea filled with other vessels. Not saying you have to bend over backwards for them, but keeping them happy is important. When I started my server, I had no intention on a big server with a bunch of players. Just started out as something fun to do with some friends. After a bit of advertising (keeping the server page here on PMC bumped and setting up votifier) people started coming and staying because they liked the atmosphere. I guess the best way for me to put it is you get out of it what you put into it if you play your cards right.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome