How sheep color work

Zalefo's Avatar Zalefo3/5/19 7:58 pm
2 emeralds 587 1
3/5/2019 8:26 pm
Nitrox Nova's Avatar Nitrox Nova
Hello. After researching the marvelous world of epigenetics i was wondering as to how sheep in minecraft work and now here are my results. First off you will need to know 2 things here, Heredity and Epigenetics. Heredity is where organisms pass on traits to their offspring and Epigenetics is where parts of genes become locked and at times, unlock and other parts of genes lock too. In the real world, coloration in organisms is (mostly) determined by Melansomes which are pigment containing organelles within your cells that determine coloration of things like hair color. Melansomes change shape and size to determine coloration which is how chameleons change color. Now for sheep, when they get dyed they are merely changing their melansomes in their wool to whatever dye is used on which is how you don't have multicolored sheep in minecraft with the exception of jeb_. Another idea for how dyeing sheep works is in genetics. hair color in humans is also determined by genes since your genes tell you what color your melansomes appear to create. In minecraft sheep, their genes are worked to where they have the ability to change their melansomes' shapes to match the dyes. but that may explain dying sheep but not yet sheep inheriting wool color. It is possible that when you dye sheep, the sheep picks up a genetic mutation relating to the color dye. this genetic mutation is passed down to the offspring who by default, takes on that coloration. Now for how sheep colors mixing. your genes can react differently to other genes coming around, sometimes they don't sequence certain base pairs and sometimes, they mix with other genes. in humans this usually happens with height but how is it so common with things like a red sheep and a blue sheep. This may be due to the fact that sheep in minecraft naturally spawn with a limited color pool so their genes don't know how to react to different colors, leaving the offspring of a red sheep and a white sheep pink and the offspring of a blue sheep and a red sheep purple. now what about colors that don't mix? For those it has to do with the genes too. the genes of sheep are coded so that combinations like white and light grey don't mix and leave them with the coloration of one of the parents. now for evokers changing sheep color i can explain that by just saying i don't know
Zalefo
Level 7 : Apprentice Skinner