How To | Be A Successful Server Owner

Tapalistic's Avatar Tapalistic12/11/17 9:00 pm
3/11/2018 10:32 pm
Spy Jay's Avatar Spy Jay
Hello, my name is Tapalistic. I've been making servers for about 3 years and I had learned many things that I want to share with you guys. So the first thing with making a server is that you need a catchy name. Over the years I've been making servers my name's have gotten better. Heres a couple of them, first was: ArcadeMC (Trash), Second was GlideMC (Still Prety Bad), Then The Cyteriax (Better But Hard To Pronounce). And now to my practice PVP server which I'm working on currently: Deflux (Good But A Tiny Bit Hard To Pronounce). Something I've always been terrible at is accepting the fact that my server is not going to be as good as Mineplex or Hypixel. Whenever I would make a server I would always quit at the last point and have this tingling feeling inside my body that says "Hey you should make a full revamp of your server" and every time I would do this it would just make me and all my hardworking staff restart all my progress. All my time and effort would just be wasted everytime I made a new server. So what I learned from that is when things seem bad or not (As) good don't give up. Now another problem many server owners come across is the fact that there's no good staff (Mosty Developers) that are willing to spend time working on your server for free. Now I always take my time to find the special and good staff at the best tier so I know that I have a good staff team. A few things you can do to find better staff is, for example, post a forum on planet Minecraft where we are right now and name it something like "New Minecraft Server (Server Name) | Looking For Staff" Or something like that telling the forum browsers exactly what you need but not using any click bait methods or anything like that. Now while you're writing the forum I suggest that you state exactly what your looking for which for most people would be free staff looking for work. And the last thing I suggest doing is putting time into making a server. When I started making servers I would spend about 3-5 hours a day looking for staff and working my butt off to make exactly what I imagined. I hope you guys found this article helpful this is my first helpful one I have ever made and if you did enjoy it please subscribe to my Planet MC page and give this an emerald thanks for reading!
Tapalistic
Level 11 : Journeyman Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/11/2018 10:32 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad
Spy Jay
I recommend editing this into a more organized "article" I should say.
03/11/2018 7:24 pmhistory
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
Cardinal System
You would probably benefit more by posting this here: https://www.planetminecraft.com/account/manage/blogs/item/new/

Just a suggestion =)
12/23/2017 7:48 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I have to strong disagree with some of your points. The best way to get staff onboard of a server is to start by actually getting some players. Then, if those players turn out to be serious you can then consider promoting them to staff.

See: the problem by advertising is that you'll only risk attracting users who "want to be staff", not necessarily users who are interested in playing on your server. And a bunch of power hungry powerplayers is the best way to scare off any serious players from your servers, if not worse.
03/11/2018 10:30 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad
Spy Jay
That's exactly how I do things, for that very reason. But what would you say to looking for a staff position that is a specific skill? Like Developer or someone to create a server trailer/introduction video? It's much more unlikely for them to discovered as a casual player on the server.
12/13/2017 4:44 am
Level 1 : New Miner
DaToasty
Quite mixed in my opinion. You have left out major parts of being even a basic owner. Things such as planning factor in, your budget and how much your willing to spend, how you'll communicate, there is a LOT more to owning a server the best way. FYI, no server will beat Hypixel ( for now at least ), and really.. Mineplex is being beat by every server that pops up.. 😂
12/15/2017 11:53 pm
Tapalistic
I realize that bu "back in the good old days" Mineplex was actually decent.
12/11/2017 11:31 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
The problem with this is that I don't see one of the most important things that an owner should know, but usually doesn't.

That is planning.

Plan what kind of server you want, what audience you want to cater towards, and then have an idea of how to get there. First have your ideas in a row, then start thinking about what you want to make. Chose a version, chose a server type (Spigot, unless you're looking for modded, is typically the optimal choice). Then figure out where you want to host it, and then, how much money/time you want to spend to get the server and the host started up. When you have the server, and your ideas what to do with it, start figuring out what you have.

Too many owners don't even know what they're using, literally. They don't know how their permissions work, they don't know how to configure plugins, they don't know how to do... heck, some of them don't know how to do anything. So when you have an idea of what you want, learn. Don't pass off all the duties to random strangers on PMC who may or may not know what they're talking about. Most people that call themselves 'devs' are just people who spent the time to learn how permissions and configuration work. Learn essentials and Pex or Groupmanager, if nothing else. If you have strong knowledge of how Essentials and one of the aforementioned permissions plugins work, then you have a good basis for getting somewhere.

Learn a permissions plugin, and then learn how to set it up. Look for examples, look for how other servers set their things up. Have a basic outline of the server already set up. This is before you hire staff. The more you do beforehand, the more you'll actually learn, and the more useful you will be as an owner. Be your own dev. It takes a while to learn, which is perfectly fine. Popular servers definitely don't just pop up in a single day.

Once you know what you're doing, can troubleshoot your own problems, etc, then you can hire initial staff (if you really think you need them, or want to use them to help develop the community) and start getting the server finalized. When it's done (read: done, not "you can play but 20 things are broken"), then you can hit advertising, and hit it hard. Skimping on advertising is fatal. You can go free, but if you don't spend money on ads, be prepared to
-be active on the server, to keep your first players on
-advertise/bump daily as appropriate to remain relevant

Given all of the above, I'd say you would have a chance over "just any owner" of getting somewhere. Popularity can be a matter of luck, but you can do things to at least help the odds bend in your favor.
12/12/2017 11:15 am
Tapalistic
Hey thanks for the msg I understand what your saying and completely agree with it sorry it’s not very good it’s just nun first thread on this topic
12/11/2017 9:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
LamoidZombieDog
ive been making servers for over 6 years... figured id read this post since im bored
you lost me at "en The Cyteriax (Better But Hard To Pronounce)" what? XD
12/11/2017 10:51 pm
Tapalistic
I was talking about the different Minecraft servers I made and their names
12/11/2017 11:18 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
LamoidZombieDog
yeah thats not how to be a sucessfull server owner thats the servers you have owned xD
12/11/2017 9:06 pmhistory
Level 52 : Grandmaster Professor
Acier
why am i 100% sure i know you. do you recall a steelebros?
12/11/2017 9:08 pm
Tapalistic
You do know me I was part of your build team and yes he has worked for me before
12/11/2017 9:11 pm
Acier
i am steelebros
12/11/2017 9:12 pm
Tapalistic
Ohh xD well then u have worked for me before xD
12/11/2017 11:17 pm
Acier
proud of myself for remembering