If any item could be a currency, what would you choose?

RainOfPain125's Avatar RainOfPain1254/15/18 4:28 am
4/29/2018 11:31 am
ShastaGaming16's Avatar ShastaGaming16
Of course, as most servers running gringotts plugin, they often use ore such as Iron, Gold, or Diamonds.

But what in-game vanilla item do you think would be the best for a player-based economy? One where you can't buy or sell things with the item to the server. We're just thinking, because we decided to ditch our money-based economy on our server for various balancing reasons and wanted to have a physical, raidable and stealable thing for our economy.

We're running a vanilla map that (will) have 1.13 generation. We have not yet decided what to do in the extreme long-run when most of the ores underground have been mined up. We might have 'soft' wipes - whereas players keep their inventories and enderchest loot but the world itself is wiped (just saying - because of resource depletion)
RainOfPain125
Level 3 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/29/2018 11:31 am
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
ShastaGaming16
Gold and Emerald! Those two minerals hold a high value. :P
04/28/2018 1:36 amhistory
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
SUPERIONtheKnight
Note: I haven't tested this and am making a guess off of experience.

If you are willing to use a resource pack, you could retexture a damaged tool/weapon. The advantage of doing this is that it won't replace any textures in the game.

However it does have a drawback, damaged tools/weapons won't stack. I suppose a workaround could be to somehow add a way to compact five 1$ items into one 5$ item as an example.

Something else to consider is I haven't used the plugin before. It might not even allow for damaged weapons/tools to be used for all I know. Although I do think it is at least worth looking into. :)

~SUPERIONtheKnight
04/26/2018 12:31 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Ferrum_Princeps
This way seems interesting on a server where the currency is supposed to be raidable, the pigmen farms could be seen as industrial factories making income, and if you want to cripple your opponent's economy then you could strategically destroy the pigmen farms.
04/26/2018 1:24 am
Level 21 : Expert Sus
Geezt Jeez
How about
Coal/Charcoal, Brick, Tools, Nether Star, Obsidian, Dragon egg, and Totem of Undying?

04/26/2018 12:33 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Lad
Spy Jay
I think the most accurate is 1 diamond = $1, and equal is a gold block.
04/25/2018 11:48 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
I'd keep it as gold, honestly. Just disable gold ore from spawning. It looks the most legit, and in-game it's really useless, in my opinion, so you wouldn't really miss it. Just specially program villagers to send gold as currency rather than emeralds, or some other handy dandy way of obtaining it.
04/24/2018 7:55 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
WhipppedCream
I think coal bc its easy to get but its a needed resource and charcoal can be half of coal so 2 charcoal= 1 coal and each coal can be= to a dollar. Ive done that with a few of my friends on a private server and its really fun
04/24/2018 7:04 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Archer
jaebeom
Nether-stars?
They could be renamed as "Star-Bucks" heh
04/24/2018 7:59 pm
Level 1 : New Engineer
3ssej_
This really made me laugh, not sure why.
04/24/2018 8:02 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Archer
jaebeom
Glad I made you laugh as much as i did :')
04/23/2018 9:12 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Birb
DukkiStuff
sunflowers look like tokens
04/25/2018 9:36 pm
Level 25 : Expert Miner
kjs91404
agreed
04/18/2018 9:43 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
WerewolfLover
EMRALDS
04/17/2018 5:16 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Prowl33
How about something fun like leather hides (can't be fully afk'ed) or flint, it is useless, and would be funny to make people farm gravel for currency lol.
04/25/2018 9:15 pm
Level 1 : New Engineer
3ssej_
I really like both of these ideas, actually. Flint is great as it cannot be farmed while leather can, however, leather is sort of similar to paper which is sort of similar to money.
04/23/2018 9:06 pm
Level 24 : Expert Modder
Nevermind3476
Flint is perfect
04/16/2018 12:42 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Engineer
TriusMalarky
You need an item that
- Can't be farmed/produced so it has a limited supply
- Isn't useful and therefore won't be used in things that can break, such as tools, or be used for enchanting, such as Lapis Lazuli. Steady supply, not shrinkable.
- Can be obtained without spending hours on end ingame
- Isn't Super rare, like Dragon egg or elytra
- is still difficult to obtain, but only takes, say, 5 minutes thorough searching to get a couple
Basically that limits it to Shulker shells/boxes, which don't quite work as they are extremely difficult to get, saddles which really is sorta stupid(who carries around a wallet full of saddles?), and they're slow to obtain, music discs(which might actually work), and horse armor. I would actually recommend Music discs if you aren't to worried about a lack of actual currency. Of course, you could have a small chance to get them when voting to slightly increase supply, and give some away occasionally as part of an event, but they'll be mostly like $100 bills or larger in USD, as those are not needed as much as, say ones and fives, so they printed far less frequently and in smaller amounts.

Other than that, I got nothing.
04/16/2018 12:33 pmhistory
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
I've become very keen of Gringotts and use gold nuggets for currency myself.

Gold hardly has any use and best of all it's also not that easy to find. Also many players would easily associate gold with money to begin with. But the main reason I favor using gold is because of its structure: 9 nuggets make up one ingot and 9 ingots make up one block.

This means that a player will have a lot of space to collect more of the currency. Which means that this approach can also cater to die hard fans or grinding players.
04/16/2018 11:37 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
RainOfPain125
But what about pigmen farms? I used to play on a popular Towny server wherein the currency was gold - I made a giant pigmen farm and I had SO much gold that I was wasting it on upgrading my salvage and repair skills in McMMO.
04/29/2018 11:03 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Sorry for a late response. That can be an issue, true. I solved that by nerfing the spawn rate of zombie pigmen. So while gold farms can be a thing they won't be as profitable as usual.
04/16/2018 10:00 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragon
bognog04
Lappis lazuli because It has very few uses
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome