Is Minecraft going too far?

27 emeralds128 replies1,962 views
created 05/31/2019 3:16 pm by Roroo
last reply 06/24/2019 10:40 am
Hello, people.

It's been a while since my last post. I am here to ask you - Minecraft gamers - what your thoughts are on the new updates on Minecraft, mostly 1.13 and 1.14.

Ever since I started playing Minecraft in 2012, I had kept watching the game grow and grow with its never-ending features and additions. I loved it all!

Until we reached 1.12. It was a nice colorful update which was followed up by - in my opinion - a catastrophic update which ruined the fun of playing "vanilla" Minecraft. It stopped feeling like I am playing what I used to play 2012. Of course the game won't grow without constant updates, but has Minecraft carried it too far?

What I had liked about Minecraft before was that it had two kinds of gameplays. A vanilla gameplay, and a modded gameplay, but now I see the developers on Minecraft are just taking every single mod idea there could ever be and adding it to the actual game.

Pillagers? Raids? I don't think this is what Minecraft's about.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree? Do you not? I'll be grateful if you're honest about it :D
Posted by avatar
Roroo
Level 30 : Artisan Pig

comment Login or register to post a reply.

128 replies

06/24/2019 10:40 am
Level 49 : Master Batman
Knux
I think they are fine additions that make the game more interesting. If you don't like more free content just play the beta versions. I mean they don't force you to play the new versions.
06/16/2019 11:32 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Mage
c14159
Some people, like me, don't have many/any mods. So I think it's great that people are adding new things to Mine craft. I mean, who does not want sleeping villagers???
06/16/2019 11:01 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Engineer
WhoAteMyButter
I love the move to functions. The syntax change in 1.13 is very welcome and I could not be happier. /execute has a lot of functionality now.
06/16/2019 3:39 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
ChitterChatter_
I am really enjoying the updates in 1.13 and 1.14. It took a bit to get used to, and well of course as always change is always different at first. I have been playing Minecraft for so many years.

When there were big changes at first it's all like why are they doing this? but then once I got used to them I really enjoyed them. Like some of the others said, if the changes were there, then things would have got stale. At least this keeps us entertained and continually learning.

I really admire all the mods and dev's that continue to work hard to bring us such great stuff! I am thankful for them too! <3
06/10/2019 6:35 pmhistory
Level 21 : Expert Button Pusher
Sir_Craftypants
Simple and straight answer NO! Not too far.

Why? Because no ones stopping us from staying on 1.12 including Mojang, when we could just keep playing 1.12 until our hearts content and not be bothered by present or future updates.

See in my opinion, unless you've played the likes of games like World of Warcraft then you haven't even experienced forced and enforced change, like when Blizzard took a perfectly successful talent tree system and completely removed it for a more simplified talent system. There was no need for them to do, as the saying goes, if it isn't broken then don't try to fix it. See Mojang firstly are not charging you a monthly fee to play, second they are not breaking the game mechanics and third, they're not forcing you to play 1.13 or 1.14.

However it's interesting that a small section of Minecraft players are not liking 1.13 and, or 1.14. although I can't fathom why because I think it's great. So my answers yes I love all the updates and the community of modders. I've just finished my first Datapack and first Resource pack which will in due course be released once I've done the video for it.

Obviously I'm a Java player so coming from that perspective.
06/10/2019 9:46 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Skinner
Thqnder
I have mixed feelings about it.
06/09/2019 3:43 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Siege17
So, here's my take on the issue. I've been playing Minecraft since it was in Indev, I was through the original release and have seen every update add more and more to the game, expanding an enriching what it can do. Then, around 2014-2015, I took a break. I'd pop in every once in a while for nostalgia but I never played any updates past 1.7 for a really extended period of time. I've just recently in the past month or so gotten back into the game after discovering new servers, and all of the new stuff? It's overwhelming, but really only at first Everything I discovered that had been added since then was a new "wow, that's really cool!" moment. And honestly, while Minecraft might be becoming more and more in-depth of a game, it wouldn't grow without it. We've come a long way since 1.0 and I don't think any of it is bad because it keeps things new and fresh for those of us who've been here since the start. If Mojang/microsoft weren't constantly adding new things to the game, trust me, it would've gotten stale a long, long time ago.
06/10/2019 8:51 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
sepamc
Well, I do like some of the new features, but sometimes it is just hard to keep up with all the updates and stuff. For example, I started a map in 1.12.2, but now its 1.14 and I am still in 1.12.2 working on my map because I cant upgrade it to 1.14.... :/
06/10/2019 8:07 am
Level 40 : Master Narwhal
Spygron
(NOTE: I change my mind a lot about this xD) 1.14 maaay be going to far with this
06/09/2019 4:44 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
Purple1947
I like some of the little features, such as sneaking making you 1.5 blocks tall, but I'm not a big fan of the big things like Ravagers and Phantoms.

OH MY GOSH, THE PHANTOMS...
06/10/2019 8:07 am
Level 40 : Master Narwhal
Spygron
I hate the Ravagers :(
too OP
06/11/2019 3:37 pm
Level 20 : Expert Pirate
TheRealBlank512
I like most of the new 1.13/1.14 stuff but there's a special place in hell the ravagers

They are cool looking but waaay to OP. I got obliterated by one of them with full protection 4 diamond FULL PROTECTION 4 DIAMOND FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!
06/10/2019 4:16 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Artist
Purple1947
Right? They're such a pain to deal with!
06/10/2019 12:02 am
Level 22 : Expert Zombie
Englalonde
I’m fine with everything else really, but I just hate the phantoms. Phantoms did not need to be added, and could be a nightmare for people just starting a world and not having a bed. Minecraft should carry on with the way it’s going, despite some people stubbornly holding on to older versions.
06/09/2019 2:34 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
Pxndx13_
The moajority of these replies are paraghraphs, ill just sum it up in one for an easier read.
1.12 was mostly about color and, it succeeded in that, so did aquatic update and village and pillage, they succeeded in what their names imply. I think its going fine and as long as it greatly succeeds in whatever the name of the update implies(with a few more things here and there) I think minecraft is steady on track.
06/08/2019 10:32 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
SweetieBotU266A
Okay, let me put it this way.

First, I want to start with this: you are absolutely right that there is a distinct difference between modded and vanilla gameplay. In modded, every tiny little detail is expanded on, which can be great in some instances, yet often add so much content that you can actually get intimidated, then bored faster. Too many new blocks mean that builders are inundated with things rather than challenged to work with what they have. A reason I was a bit skeptical when they added concrete, despite being an avid pixel artist.

But... I think the recent lack of updates is making you feel the way you (and many others) do. While I took a break for a few years, I was playing Minecraft before it even hit 1.0, and watching videos about Minecraft way before that. And all through that, there were constant updates. Like the entire Jungle biome, the radical change to food (I hated that for a year), all sorts. Tons of things that made it more complicated.

The thing is, Minecraft was always changing. Things never got as ridiculously complex as modded, but things DID get complicated. Remember potions? And before that book thing recently, there wasn't exactly an in-game guide on how to craft anything. You either figured things out on your own, or engaged with the community.

When 1.0 of Minecraft released, people were really disappointed, because there WASN'T a huge change, or a brand new feature.

Minecraft has finally stopped its stagnation.

And on the content of these updates... it really hasn't changed the whole design philosophy of the game. It simply enhanced it, and made areas of the game that were outdated or lifeless into areas that have life and purpose.

Though I do have a few criticisms of the recent updates - for example, a lot of treasure and stuff is based on exploration instead of mining, and you can get through the entire game without even exploring a cave. The game has gotten slightly easier with each update.

But the updates themselves? Quite welcome and often very much needed. (Though they often ruin some of my favorite graphical mods.)
06/09/2019 5:06 pmhistory
Level 28 : Expert Architect
ChickenMac7
Yes and no. I like the new content, but I feel like it could be better thought out/implemented. Like why build a railway system when you can easily go to the end and get Elytra? The game isn't very hard anymore and things like shields, while I do like them, make the game too easy. Skeletons are hardly a threat anymore, and any mob can be beaten by running and bow-spamming (pillager raids made easy, climb ladder, bow-spam = invincible).

I feel like the developers are asking themselves "you know what would be cool?", when they should be asking themselves "what would make the game more balanced and make existing features that much more meaningful and in-depth?". For example, shipwrecks, while again I do like them overall, sort of make mining less important because of how abundant they are. I think some minor tweaks would go a long way.

Again, I do like the new updates, but the game gets boring now because it's all a bit too easy. Older versions of Minecraft were more challenging, but they got boring due to lack of content. I think taking the good from both versions (challenge from older versions, new content from newer versions) and mixing it into one would make the game better. I'm not exactly sure how to go about changing this, but it could be beneficial.
06/09/2019 5:04 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Farmer
Sfekke
I do like them, but it indeed doesn't feel like 2012 Minecraft anymore.
Last version that I fully feel at home at is 1.7.10, it isn't too complex, also keeping thing simple and basic.

What keeps me playing isn't more dungeons, neither is it more mobs walking around; it's actually the simplicity.
If I want a custom experience I'll use mods or nowadays plugins and tailor it to my liking.

TL;DR
New version are fun, no doubt about that.
But not if you want to play Minecraft, there's too much other stuff to do than letting your imagination run wild & making things you'll forever look back on.
06/09/2019 12:31 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
Wrangler
As a player of Mod Minecraft, i find the changes not so great. it adds some extras so the game for sure. However, those with mods such as Movecraft it's headache and causes older mods less likely to be used.
06/09/2019 12:15 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
GreenComet_
"Has Minecraft carried it too far?" sounds very clickbait.

"Now I see the developers on Minecraft are just taking every single mod idea there could ever be and adding it to the actual game."
"every single mod idea there could ever be"
Not remotely, although I suppose that was hyperbole.
06/08/2019 8:07 amhistory
Level 1 : New Miner
ChickenBricklet4
Not really, Minecraft's main focus was to evolve, and not stay the same game. Minecraft is about adventure, building, mining, and surviving, Otherwise, vanilla would just be a bit boring.. vanilla 1.12 would get old fast in a few years or two. Everything like Pandas, Bamboo, More oceans to enjoy, i mean they were originally from some mods, but that doesn't mean the mod makers have rights to the idea.

Minecraft has now become the most played game of all time now, because of the new updates, They add Variety, Adventure, More ideas for people to build with, and more action like new mobs and weapons. there is no such thing as "Minecraft feels too modded" because, again, Minecraft's main objective was to expand it's self too more possibilities, let's face it. People dislike new textures because it's not the original but times change. but as one wise person once said: "Clinging to past memories and success get you nowhere".

It's going into a really great direction, more and more people are joining, it doesn't matter if it feels modded, that's just you. we should not be Upset or scared to go further in our lives, we should be happy for new avenues, The Spirit of Minecraft is a Grow with it, it's to Build, Think, Mine, Explore and to Connect with the Minecraft world.
06/09/2019 1:11 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Artist
QuinoaFalafel
I disagree that Minecraft would get old. Even if it never updated again, I would easily have a plethora of things to do in vanilla, and in one world at that. The only real limit to enjoyment with Minecraft is the player's creativity.

The issue isn't that the new updates are bad quality, but that they are taking Minecraft in a new direction, and turning the game into something else. To me, Minecraft is more of a platform for creative expression than a game, and that is the reason that I will play Minecraft until I die. But the majority of the playerbase doesn't play Minecraft for the same reasons as me, and Mojang is catering to the majority of its playerbase. So, Minecraft is changing. It's becoming a better mainstream game, but a far worse platform for expression. I would argue it's losing a lot of what makes it unique.

I completely understand why Minecraft is changing, and I am aware that I am in the vast minority with my views. But I feel very strongly about it nonetheless, likely because Minecraft has become such a central part of my life. And that might sound sad, that a videogame means that much to me, but it is precisely because of its capacity for expression, for creation. I don't have any hard feelings towards people who love 1.14, I just don't relate, and it makes me kind of sad that Minecraft has taken a turn that, to me, is for the worse.
06/09/2019 5:09 pmhistory
Sfekke
Can't say more than "I agree".
It turned mainstream long before 1.14, but it kept true to it's roots.
I've actually been playing on 1.7.10 since it came out in 2014 and have yet to feel the need to go any newer.
Started playing in Inf-Dev (not in-dev)
Beta & Alpha versions are near & dear to my heart, but 1.7.10 just connected with me in ways I cannot easily describe.

I've mostly been on the same world since 2014 (well actually 4-5 of them on a server I at this point treat as a "access anywhere SP savegame)
Combat & other new additions being the main reason for me to stay where I am.

I have tried the newer version and got a lot of fun out of them, but eventually when I want to play Minecraft I boot up 1.7.10 & enjoy the simplicity; just doing whatever I can come up with.
06/09/2019 7:38 pm
QuinoaFalafel
You might want to try out the Lord of the Rings mod too, I think you might like it. It's for 1.7.10, and while it's far less simple than vanilla Minecraft (it has WAY more content), it's the only mod I've ever played that I feel builds off of the vanilla feel. It almost becomes a whole new game, in all of the best ways, while holding true to what makes Minecraft a valuable experience.
06/10/2019 9:55 am
Sfekke
Thanks, sounds pretty sweet might give it a try ^^
06/08/2019 2:47 amhistory
Level 12 : Journeyman Birb
leafbirb
"Pillagers? Raids? I don't think this is what Minecraft's about."

for fucc's sake

That may have not been what the game was about in 2012, but that was 7 freakin' years ago. Get with the times. It ain't 2012 anymore, 1.13/1.14 haters.
Minecraft is changing, and for the better! I understand we can 't please everyone with these new updates, but still, really?
There's a fine line between constructive criticism and straight up hate comments.
And it seems that 1.14 has gotten a lot of both.

Anyways I understand a lot of people will find my unpopular opinion to be wrong, but oh well, it's the Internet. Whaddaya gonna do. 😊 Sorry for the rant, I just see the 'new era ' hate as stupid and pointless.

Edit: I've said it many times before, there's the Minecraft launcher, which gives access to previous versions, for a reason!
06/09/2019 1:47 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I would argue that your opinion is actually the popular one. I find it very difficult to find people who share my dislike for 1.14, or at least for the same reasons.

What you have to try to realize, is that both opinions are completely fair. While yours is more common among the playerbase, people who hate 1.14 are still completely justified. Ultimately, it stems from why people play Minecraft. And for the minority that play it for the reasons I play it, the direction that the game has taken is disheartening. This isn't because the game is objectively getting worse, but because the game is becoming something else, which in our eyes is less valuable an experience.

The "new era" hate, as you put it, is definitely not pointless, I just hope you can try to step outside of your opinions to see why to some people (like me), this might be far more significant.
06/10/2019 7:55 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Explorer
barrowisp
Are there any updates that you would appreciate, QuinoaFalafel? What 'direction' could the game take that wouldn't disappoint you?

I say this in sincere curiosity; please read my comments as kind, not sarcastic. I appreciate your stance
06/11/2019 3:26 pm
QuinoaFalafel
No, that's a very good question, and I'm more than happy to answer.

I'll start by saying that I actually really enjoy 1.13. While I initially was very skeptical of additions like phantoms and drowned, I do not hate them, and the changes to both ocean generation and water mechanics, though sometimes frustrating, make the oceans far more exciting.

The one thing about 1.14 that I actually love, is everything command or map creation related, though i haven't personally experienced it yet. As I am (sort of) creating an adventure map myself, I always welcome additions in this area, as they allow for a lot more options.

In my view, the best route Minecraft could take would be expand on the game without restricting it. This might sound confusing, but I'll explain. The changes in 1.14 expand heavily on villages, but also restrict at the same time. The aesthetic of the villages is less simplistic, and as such less universal. it makes it harder to create your own history and lore. This is added to by things like bells, and raids. Perhaps the biggest restrictor, though, are the new Villager textures. They sort of limit villagers to a particular time era. Straw hats, for example, make it very difficult to play a world that is intended to be ancient themed.

That said, expansions that don't limit could be a number of things. For starters, simply adding more block variants. For example, there really should be concrete slabs and stairs, and walls couldn't hurt either. Another possibility would be adding new block types or uses. Maybe some sort of vertical slab possibility, etc.

I also would like to see some sort of implementation of cubic chunks, or a raised block limit, depending on how that would affect existing worlds. And I'm generally open to expansions of mechanics. I warmed up to combat changes when they came, changed water physics, etc. and those changes do tend to have positive effects.

What I don't like seeing is gimmicky additions such as parrots, pandas, or polar bears (it's not so much the idea of the mobs I dislike, so much as their appearance and function. For example, I really don't like all the extra functions they gave to pandas, it just feels childish to me), or changes that overcomplicate gameplay. Changes like the new villager mechanics and changing ways for obtaining different materials, such as right clicking with tools instead of crafting, while they make the game a little more interesting for most players, can be very frustrating for players like me.

To me, the ideal way to play Minecraft is in survival, but the goal is creation. The goal is to build up a world, not just physically with blocks, but with your imagination, creating a story for the world, and living within it. But building is also essential. And that is when harnessing of glitches and automation of resource collection become essential. Without this, materials would be far scarcer, and builds simply couldn't be as ambitious. It would be far less feasible to build a city, or the like. And to me, many of these changes are limiting this, and making the game more tedious and less enjoyable.

Really, it comes down to what I have always seen as the universal nature of Minecraft. It can become whatever you want it to become, and your imagination and creativity is the only limit. I feel that recent updates (specifically 1.14) have been slowly chipping away at this quality, in favor of a more mainstream consumerist audience. The fans get bored, and those who cannot find the imagination within to make more of the game from what there already is, demand new things, and so that is what is given.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope this answers your question. Though, admittedly, I definitely talked about a lot more than just what I would want in updates.
06/09/2019 2:10 pm
leafbirb
Fair enough. 👍
06/08/2019 5:24 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Zombie
YeetusYeetusDeletus
i also started 2012, but i honestly love all the new updates
06/08/2019 12:12 pmhistory
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
lizking10152011
I loved the Update Aquatic (Java 1.13) as it was an update I waited for a long time, as it had a lot to offer. It turned the bland gravel oceans into a sand and gravel ocean full of life with kelp, sea pickles, sea turtles, dolphins, fish, and coral reefs. It overhauled the way water looked based on what biome it was in and the way it functioned.

The new functionality of Soul Sand and Magma in water was also great as it opened use of new water elevators, which was also awesome. The Update Aquatic was fantastic in my opinion, as it added new mechanics into the game and gave oceans new life that they really needed.

The only thing Mojang could've done better is allow C418's Dragonfish, Axolotl, and Shunji to play underwater on the Bedrock Edition of the game as well as Java Edition, as those three soundtracks are a Java Edition Exclusive.

The Village and Pillage update however was a bit lackluster to me, being a person who primarily plays Survival Peaceful. The update and balancing of villagers really doesn't make that much of a difference, as save Librarians (As they usually have the best goodies in my opinion), I really do not trade with the other villagers. Now the Wandering Traders are great as they offer rare items. Also the villages being updated is ok, but not amazing.

And since I play Survival Peaceful, the Pillagers essentially mean nothing to me outside of the Outposts that spawn. Also the 'Master Trader' achievement (Trade for 1000 Emeralds) Mojang snuck into the game for the Minecraft 10th Anniversary really sucked, and I am sure a more meaningful achievement could've been put in it's place, for example as 'Living it Up' which would be 'Play Minecraft for 1000 ingame Minecraft days.' (20 Minutes real life is one Minecraft day). The only aspects of Village and Pillage I truely enjoyed were the Lanterns and Composters.

So for me the Update Aquatic was awesome, the VIllage and Pillage update was very lackluster. I don't think Minecraft per se is going too far, it's just some updates play more to personal preference than others.

Now what is great about Java Edition of Minecraft is that the older Amazon Launcher allows people to go back and forth between older and newer versions, which gives people alot of freedom with personal preference. Unfortunately the Console Legacy and Bedrock variants do not have this feature. It is impossible in any way to go back to older versions with Bedrock, and with Console Legacy, you can though it requires having the older Title Update files, a Modding Tool, and a physical copy of the Console Legacy Edition of the game. I believe the reason behind this is a subsidiary of Mojang, which is Mojang Synergies AB who seem who through the Digitial Millenium Act seem to copyright strike any site that has the older 360 Title Update files available to the public.

Not to say all their older updates were great, as I do miss the Java Beta 1.7.3 Terrain Generation as you have less biomes with the trade off of smoother, yet unpredictable terrain generation, same with the Console Legacy Xbox 360 Edition of the game Pre TU 23. In the current iteration of the game, when you see a biome, 99% of the time you know what you're getting with that biome in terms of terrain generation, though 1% of the time, either a glitch or an anomoly occurs and you get a surprise. Also the current iteration of the game's terrain generation can be clunky and jagged at times compared to previous versions of the game, at least in my opinion.

Also out of preference, I do prefer the 864 X 864 block space that the console legacy Xbox 360 Edition provides over the limitless space of Java and Bedrock Editions, reason being is smaller biomes and more goodies jammed together within a smaller space. It's less of a chore to find rare biomes, and alot more overall is offered overall.

Also, another preference of mine is that I like the Console Legacy Xbox 360 Edition due to the ability to Reset the End and Nether, which is not offered in Java or Bedrock Edition without third party modding tools. The ability to reset these two dimensions allowed for easy mass gathering of lava, obsidian, nether quartz, nether brick, glowstone, end stone, end rods, and shulker boxes, as well as an easy fix to if somebody griefed that dimension. Nevermind the ability to craft Notch/Enchanted Golden Apples, being able to reset the other two dimensions at will allowed for crazy survival builds to be created that are way harder to build in Survival on Java and Bedrock Editions.

At the end of the day, it all really depends on an individual's playstyle and personal preference. On the principal of this thread, here's a video Youtuber Mumbo Jumbo created two years ago on the idea of this thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLOBgF4ZK4
06/08/2019 6:41 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Taco
Brewolf08_mc
They are going way to far, they are changing EVERYTHING!! I hate it I don't know how I can play it anymore.
06/08/2019 9:54 am
Level 29 : Expert Pixel Painter
EJDEV08
i dont really pay attention to newer versions, since all im worried about is trying to stay as far away from 1.9 as possible.
(i hate that update)
06/09/2019 2:13 pm
leafbirb
Understandable, a lot of people do. I honestly prefer the 1.9+ combat style. It made me appreciate PVP as a whole a lot more. :)
06/10/2019 8:38 amhistory
Level 29 : Expert Pixel Painter
EJDEV08
i see why you like that, it keeps pvp balanced and everyone treated equally, but i like how pvp was based on skill in the older versions.
06/06/2019 1:32 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
I've already posted here but I wanted to add something regarding the Hytale/Minecraft war people seem to be talking about.

I personally am going to be buying Hytale and playing it - but that's because I can see what Hytale is, a fastasy-esque game. And I'm okay with that!

I'm upset about Minecraft because I bought it because it was a sandbox. It continues every update to become more and more RPG-like, which I don't like. I'm buying Hytale because it's a RPG, not because it's a Minecraft remake. I'm unhappy about Minecraft because it's becoming a RPG copy of Hytale to "try to keep up". That's not why I bought Minecraft. At all. It was special, I loved it and had never seen anything like it. Now, this empire of a game is succumbing itself and becoming just another copy, if you ask me. Crazy how Hytale was (again though not why I'm buying it) a copy, and now Hytale is becoming the main, with Minecraft becoming the copy.
06/08/2019 8:11 am
ChickenBricklet4
Okay, i want you to hear yourself, you said that you didn't like how Minecraft was turning into a RPG, Yet you're buying Hytale because it's a RPG. I don't understand how you think it's becoming "RPG", the only RPG thing about them was the short cool down and different weapons, it's called variety. and Also it is still a sandbox, Why do you think they give us a bunch of new blocks every update? and finally I don't think Mojang or Microsoft Really cares about Hytale, it's kind of just another Minecraft like Game no matter how you spin it.
06/08/2019 10:36 pm
BabyBlueberry
No need to be so aggressive. I laid out what I said fairly well in my opinion, you're just nit picking and seemingly ignoring my points here.

I'm buying Hytale because I know it is going to be RPG-like. I bought Minecraft because it was not RPG-like, it was a sandbox.

For example, it's like buying GTA V because it has cars and pretty graphics, and buying No Man's Sky because it's about outer space. Now, if GTA decided to include space exploration, I would not take that well, because I bought GTA because it had cars only. GTA is a "car game" to simplify this. No Man' Sky is a "space game". They are each lovely on their own, and that's why I bought them. I didn't buy them for them to become a "parody" of the other, or mimic them to "keep up with the competition".

Now replace GTA with Minecraft and cars with sandbox, and No Man's Sky with Hytale and outer space with RPG. Same exact concept.

Anddd no, you're wrong in where you say "the only RPG thing about them was the short cool down and different weapons, it's called variety." Minecraft was a sandbox which means it has no real plotline or story or push for things to happen. It's aptly called a sandbox because when you're in a sandbox you do what you want - nothing is there to encourage you to build a castle, you may just want to throw the sand around. Minecraft has begun pushing things that encourage combat, like the, ahem, as you so put it, "variety", and the edits to the mechanics of the game. Minecraft has begun adding in things that are "ambient" and useless, which encourages the RPG-like aspect (i.e. foxes). Take Skyrim - there are grass types and little bushes everywhere that add character but are not interactable. This gives it ambient effect, which allows for immersion, to better help the player feel like they're really in another world ("roleplaying"). With the addition of foxes, pandas, illagers who raid villages, etc., this is adding immersion, which is in turn adding RPG aspects via. ambience. The new block types have nothing to do with this argument other than for something to you to whip out in your defense, but like, that doesn't work?? That's not defending your argument at all. You just kind of threw some words at me.

And MJ/MS may not care about Hytale, yet. The fanbase behind this game and it's not even in alpha is tremendous. If these horrible updates as of late aren't influenced by Hytale, then I fear for what will come out next.

If you're going to respond to this, please don't blabber as you just did. It's obvious you only came at me because we have opposing opinions, not because you wanted to debate. The point of a debate is to defend your view, not force your view down the other person's throat.
06/09/2019 2:17 pm
leafbirb
I mean if Minecraft didn't want to go for the RPG thing they would've never added the Ender Dragon, tbh.

Just my opinion, though. :D
06/16/2019 2:51 am
BabyBlueberry
At the time when I bought Minecraft, it didn't have the Ender Dragon, but I'm okay with it because I remember in the release notes the headliner was along the lines of "you can actually finish the game!" which is why it's called The End. I was able to accept that because in my head, "finishing the game" was a way to preserve your "sandbox", it was like finalizing the last copy of a book, so to speak. You'd done everything you wanted in your sandbox, and finishing the game by killing the ED allowed you to kind of let the world rest in peace. I never saw it as a RPG thing.
06/09/2019 9:28 am
ChickenBricklet4
Minecraft isn't supposed to be JUST a Sandbox, that's why it's called MINECRAFT. What about the Survival Part of Minecraft? It gives more options and expands what you can do in the game.RPG like elements have been around for years now, Which built a Big Part of the Community that liked fighting and surviving in the game, they wanted more weapons and more types of life for the people who loved adventure.

Foxes are supposed to give out live where there wasn't much before, they can be interacted with, which makes them give out a real-like response, but they give an ambiance of a taiga. because it is like a sandbox game, you can interact with them, and they still give ambiance, along with the new berries

What's wrong with adding something to the Survival side of Minecraft? and i mentioned new blocks because they add to the Sandbox part of the game, that's what is what makes Minecraft unique, You can do multiple stuff it's not just an RPG, or just a Sandbox.

I wasn't that much aggressive in my last one. I wasn't trying to force it down your throat, i was just giving you another perspective to view things from, please don't say i was being overly aggressive to throw my point across, it may have sounded like it but it wasn't meant to be "aggressive", sorry if i rubbed you the wrong way. just because i found some faults in your point doesn't mean i was trying to force it.
06/09/2019 9:29 am
ChickenBricklet4
Minecraft being a Sandbox is The biggest sell point of it the game, but not the only. That's why we get a bunch of new blocks and decor, even some highly requested features.
06/16/2019 2:58 am
BabyBlueberry
quoting this because i hate typing the same thing over - "At the time when I bought Minecraft, it didn't have the Ender Dragon, but I'm okay with it because I remember in the release notes the headliner was along the lines of "you can actually finish the game!" which is why it's called The End. I was able to accept that because in my head, "finishing the game" was a way to preserve your "sandbox", it was like finalizing the last copy of a book, so to speak. You'd done everything you wanted in your sandbox, and finishing the game by killing the ED allowed you to kind of let the world rest in peace. I never saw it as a RPG thing."

When I myself bought the game, it's only selling point was that it was a sandbox.

Yes, they're adding on to the sandbox part, but you literally just argued my point here - "they wanted more weapons and more types of life for the people who loved adventure". Yes, but that makes it an RPG.

Also, when Minecraft was purely sandbox, survival literally only added working to get what you want, it didn't add fancy combat. You just died and rebuilt, it was in essence creative but hard mode. Still completely a sandbox, just took more time and effort and had actual setbacks.
06/09/2019 2:18 pm
leafbirb
*clap clap*

BRAVO, BRO.
06/08/2019 2:49 am
leafbirb
See, that's the wonder of the Minecraft launcher, you can play previous versions. 😀
06/08/2019 10:16 pm
BabyBlueberry
I know, it's lovely. <3 However, in my last post I addressed that - the new updates include blocks that I need desperately for creative. I can't just revert or everything I build's quality bottoms out.
06/08/2019 1:49 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
ScotsMiser
Very much agree, MC was a superb example of a self-directed sandbox. [There were a few 'hoops' – must have access to blaze rods to unlock brewing, netherquartz for most RS – but these were (mostly) logical within the game and few in number.]

Accepting that one product will not have universal appeal and surrendering some market segments [as MS/Mj's 'no guns in MC, ever' position does WRT first-person shooters à la DOOM ] in order to focus on the segments where the strengths of the product give it a commanding advantage [plotless sandbox in the case of MC] is a strategy far more likely to succeed long-term.

If MS/Mj does want to try for a piece of the RPG voxel pie, the currently vaporware MC dungeons seems a better way to proceed. (Particularly true as story mode seems to be being removed qv. https://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft-story-mode/delisted )
06/08/2019 1:58 am
BabyBlueberry
I mean, I'm okay with the updates. But if you read my previous post here (I won't make you dig through here to find it so I'll paraphrase) I had said that I felt as if I were being conned into playing them because the building pros (blocks and block types) that should have been included in the base game already, absolutely must come with the extra stuff I dislike. I can tolerate it, but tolerating something for a long time leads to bitterness - so that's no good.

Regarding your point on guns, that was super solid and I support it entirely - it allowed for the modding community to do it themselves, thus making it optional. That, that was perfect back then (are those mods still relevant? haven't heard a lot on them anymore). Everybody got what they wanted. Now, I'm basically getting mods I can't remove - as the modding aspect of this game is trash and doesn't allow for editing of the game's code itself.
06/05/2019 4:02 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Born_0f_Fire
I did not vote because I only play modded. I find the village and pillage update, the pandas, and the ocean updates completely silly.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
planetminecraft.com

Welcome