Is Minecraft going too far?

Roroo's Avatar Roroo5/31/19 3:16 pm
27 emeralds 4.2k 127
6/24/2019 10:40 am
Knux's Avatar Knux
Hello, people.

It's been a while since my last post. I am here to ask you - Minecraft gamers - what your thoughts are on the new updates on Minecraft, mostly 1.13 and 1.14.

Ever since I started playing Minecraft in 2012, I had kept watching the game grow and grow with its never-ending features and additions. I loved it all!

Until we reached 1.12. It was a nice colorful update which was followed up by - in my opinion - a catastrophic update which ruined the fun of playing "vanilla" Minecraft. It stopped feeling like I am playing what I used to play 2012. Of course the game won't grow without constant updates, but has Minecraft carried it too far?

What I had liked about Minecraft before was that it had two kinds of gameplays. A vanilla gameplay, and a modded gameplay, but now I see the developers on Minecraft are just taking every single mod idea there could ever be and adding it to the actual game.

Pillagers? Raids? I don't think this is what Minecraft's about.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree? Do you not? I'll be grateful if you're honest about it :D
Roroo
Level 43 : Master Pig

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2019 4:35 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Artist
QuinoaFalafel
I almost completely agree with you.

I feel like Minecraft has slowly but progressively been adding content that is directly aimed at the younger more numerous audience. Looking back, it probably actually did start when Microsoft got ownership. With each new update, I shook my head more and more at the things that they were adding. They seemed so trivial and gimmicky, not at all in the spirit of Minecraft.

Yet I did eventually warm up to each new update, to the point where I actually quite love Minecraft 1.13. But 1.14 went above and beyond what I thought they were capable of in terms of ruining Minecraft for me.

For starters, I hate the new textures, and think that they completely ruin my experience. But there also wasn't a single good thing (in my opinion) that they added, that didn't at least alter some mechanic so drastically that I hated it.

1.14 was the first update that I ever actively dreaded the release of. I'm more than open to adding and expanding content, but the issue is that they are altering content, slowly transforming the game into something far less universal, but unfortunately much more profitable. At this point, I really just want them to stop updating the java version permanently, so they can't do any more damage, and modders can correct their mistakes.
06/05/2019 4:01 pm
Roroo
So correct, the textures were so nostalgic and pretty, why change them?

And 1.13 is not too bad after all. 1.14? Nope.

The main problem we're facing is that the new updates are not reminding us what the spirit of minecraft was and should still be..
06/05/2019 4:58 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Precisely. 1.14 feels more like a mod than an update. It's not that the new content is poor quality, it's just that most of it shouldn't be part of the vanilla game.
06/09/2019 12:22 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
SeamusTheHunter
Almost every texture has changed, what shall we do? If only there were a built-in resource pack that substituted in the old textures...
06/09/2019 7:50 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Yeah, but villagers still suck with the Programmer Art pack. And besides, half of the reason it's so unfortunate is that if you use the Programmer Art pack, the majority of other people won't be able to fully appreciate your builds, and vice versa. The Programmer Art pack is far from a end-all be-all solution.
05/31/2019 5:17 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
", I really just want them to stop updating the java version permanently, so they can't do any more damage, and modders can correct their mistakes."

Stick to an older version. Done.
05/31/2019 9:05 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
The obvious rejoinder to that position is:

"Just play modded"

Each player can then get the additions he wants without incurring the lag inducing overhead of those changes he would prefer to avoid.

Had the pillagers (raids and outposts) been released as an official mod (or two) the negative impacts would have been avoided.
Ditto the village/villager mechanics changes.
06/09/2019 10:22 am
raidarr
I don't know about you, but these days I'm all into the mods when I do actually play. Only reason I boot up a vanilla version is for the sake a a server once in a while for the same line of thought as what you state.
05/31/2019 5:19 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I mean, yeah, that works, but it disconnects you from the majority of the community.
06/09/2019 10:21 am
raidarr
Then it is evident that the majority of the community does not see things their way, and so there is little that can be done. If everyone else is not satisfied going to a prior version, then evidently there's a majority that doesn't think any damage is being dealt at all, and rather enjoys the correction. Those that do perceive damage have the full ability to go elsewhere.
06/09/2019 7:47 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I never said that the majority sees the recent updates as unfortunate. In fact, it's the vast minority. But it doesn't make recent developments any less tragic, frustrating, or disheartening to the people who don't want to see Minecraft catering to mainstream demands. And many of the people who (like me) see recent updates as damaging to what Minecraft should be, are the people who would never leave Minecraft. Which is all the more reason to be so deeply affected by the direction it is taking. if something is really important to you, then of course you'll be upset when it changes for - in your view - the worse. And we have a right to be very upset about it.
06/09/2019 9:07 pm
raidarr
You have the right to be as upset as you like, and others have the right to rebuke statements that will literally never happen or are just plain silly, such as the one I originally quoted. You're mad. Great. Stick to what remains great, which is perfectly accessible for you and those like minded, or simply move along. Or continue spouting to the void, where nothing will change save people's opinions slightly to the worse for the relative waste of time that it is going on about how the game is ruined.

Others additionally have the right to say 'you're daft, it's perfectly fine', and others still can say 'meh'. The only break of the cycle is if you give specific reasons that gameplay as it was before is no longer playable, thus making for yourself an actual objective metric for what's gone downhill and making it so you have something worth discussing. Without details, you're literally the stereotypical old guy shaking a stick at new kids without definitively saying what went wrong. Except I am perfectly capable of doing everything I ever did in prior versions, and I am a user who began in the classic era. Not all oldguard feel the same way, certainly.

Granted, my aims in minecraft have always been unusual, as well as my interpretation of what it is. My origin in the game left me with the firm believe that minecraft is a creative venture and not inherently a survival one since the beginning, and thus considering creative the true mode of the game. That's certainly not a popular opinion considering alpha/beta users and on who began with only survival (which I skipped in favor of remaining on classic until 1.0) and then survival as default from then onwards. But I digress.
05/31/2019 4:40 pm
QuinoaFalafel
Another game breaking change in 1.14 was all the changes to villagers. I have a survival world that I have played with my brothers for years, that has grown to be very advanced. We have begun our own cities, created nations complete with constitutions we wrote, built printing presses, released newsletters and books, and all of this is centered around the villagers as the individual characters.

With 1.14 changes, the core mechanics that we rely on to build our nations are destroyed, and I honestly don't know where to go from here (if it were up to me, I would remain on 1.13, but it's not).
06/08/2019 8:07 amhistory
Level 1 : New Miner
ChickenBricklet4
Not really, Minecraft's main focus was to evolve, and not stay the same game. Minecraft is about adventure, building, mining, and surviving, Otherwise, vanilla would just be a bit boring.. vanilla 1.12 would get old fast in a few years or two. Everything like Pandas, Bamboo, More oceans to enjoy, i mean they were originally from some mods, but that doesn't mean the mod makers have rights to the idea.

Minecraft has now become the most played game of all time now, because of the new updates, They add Variety, Adventure, More ideas for people to build with, and more action like new mobs and weapons. there is no such thing as "Minecraft feels too modded" because, again, Minecraft's main objective was to expand it's self too more possibilities, let's face it. People dislike new textures because it's not the original but times change. but as one wise person once said: "Clinging to past memories and success get you nowhere".

It's going into a really great direction, more and more people are joining, it doesn't matter if it feels modded, that's just you. we should not be Upset or scared to go further in our lives, we should be happy for new avenues, The Spirit of Minecraft is a Grow with it, it's to Build, Think, Mine, Explore and to Connect with the Minecraft world.
06/09/2019 1:11 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I disagree that Minecraft would get old. Even if it never updated again, I would easily have a plethora of things to do in vanilla, and in one world at that. The only real limit to enjoyment with Minecraft is the player's creativity.

The issue isn't that the new updates are bad quality, but that they are taking Minecraft in a new direction, and turning the game into something else. To me, Minecraft is more of a platform for creative expression than a game, and that is the reason that I will play Minecraft until I die. But the majority of the playerbase doesn't play Minecraft for the same reasons as me, and Mojang is catering to the majority of its playerbase. So, Minecraft is changing. It's becoming a better mainstream game, but a far worse platform for expression. I would argue it's losing a lot of what makes it unique.

I completely understand why Minecraft is changing, and I am aware that I am in the vast minority with my views. But I feel very strongly about it nonetheless, likely because Minecraft has become such a central part of my life. And that might sound sad, that a videogame means that much to me, but it is precisely because of its capacity for expression, for creation. I don't have any hard feelings towards people who love 1.14, I just don't relate, and it makes me kind of sad that Minecraft has taken a turn that, to me, is for the worse.
06/09/2019 5:09 pmhistory
Level 11 : Journeyman Farmer
Sfekke
Can't say more than "I agree".
It turned mainstream long before 1.14, but it kept true to it's roots.
I've actually been playing on 1.7.10 since it came out in 2014 and have yet to feel the need to go any newer.
Started playing in Inf-Dev (not in-dev)
Beta & Alpha versions are near & dear to my heart, but 1.7.10 just connected with me in ways I cannot easily describe.

I've mostly been on the same world since 2014 (well actually 4-5 of them on a server I at this point treat as a "access anywhere SP savegame)
Combat & other new additions being the main reason for me to stay where I am.

I have tried the newer version and got a lot of fun out of them, but eventually when I want to play Minecraft I boot up 1.7.10 & enjoy the simplicity; just doing whatever I can come up with.
06/09/2019 7:38 pm
QuinoaFalafel
You might want to try out the Lord of the Rings mod too, I think you might like it. It's for 1.7.10, and while it's far less simple than vanilla Minecraft (it has WAY more content), it's the only mod I've ever played that I feel builds off of the vanilla feel. It almost becomes a whole new game, in all of the best ways, while holding true to what makes Minecraft a valuable experience.
06/10/2019 9:55 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Farmer
Sfekke
Thanks, sounds pretty sweet might give it a try ^^
06/09/2019 3:43 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Siege17
So, here's my take on the issue. I've been playing Minecraft since it was in Indev, I was through the original release and have seen every update add more and more to the game, expanding an enriching what it can do. Then, around 2014-2015, I took a break. I'd pop in every once in a while for nostalgia but I never played any updates past 1.7 for a really extended period of time. I've just recently in the past month or so gotten back into the game after discovering new servers, and all of the new stuff? It's overwhelming, but really only at first Everything I discovered that had been added since then was a new "wow, that's really cool!" moment. And honestly, while Minecraft might be becoming more and more in-depth of a game, it wouldn't grow without it. We've come a long way since 1.0 and I don't think any of it is bad because it keeps things new and fresh for those of us who've been here since the start. If Mojang/microsoft weren't constantly adding new things to the game, trust me, it would've gotten stale a long, long time ago.
06/08/2019 10:32 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
SweetieBotU266A
Okay, let me put it this way.

First, I want to start with this: you are absolutely right that there is a distinct difference between modded and vanilla gameplay. In modded, every tiny little detail is expanded on, which can be great in some instances, yet often add so much content that you can actually get intimidated, then bored faster. Too many new blocks mean that builders are inundated with things rather than challenged to work with what they have. A reason I was a bit skeptical when they added concrete, despite being an avid pixel artist.

But... I think the recent lack of updates is making you feel the way you (and many others) do. While I took a break for a few years, I was playing Minecraft before it even hit 1.0, and watching videos about Minecraft way before that. And all through that, there were constant updates. Like the entire Jungle biome, the radical change to food (I hated that for a year), all sorts. Tons of things that made it more complicated.

The thing is, Minecraft was always changing. Things never got as ridiculously complex as modded, but things DID get complicated. Remember potions? And before that book thing recently, there wasn't exactly an in-game guide on how to craft anything. You either figured things out on your own, or engaged with the community.

When 1.0 of Minecraft released, people were really disappointed, because there WASN'T a huge change, or a brand new feature.

Minecraft has finally stopped its stagnation.

And on the content of these updates... it really hasn't changed the whole design philosophy of the game. It simply enhanced it, and made areas of the game that were outdated or lifeless into areas that have life and purpose.

Though I do have a few criticisms of the recent updates - for example, a lot of treasure and stuff is based on exploration instead of mining, and you can get through the entire game without even exploring a cave. The game has gotten slightly easier with each update.

But the updates themselves? Quite welcome and often very much needed. (Though they often ruin some of my favorite graphical mods.)
06/08/2019 2:47 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/09/2019 1:47 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I would argue that your opinion is actually the popular one. I find it very difficult to find people who share my dislike for 1.14, or at least for the same reasons.

What you have to try to realize, is that both opinions are completely fair. While yours is more common among the playerbase, people who hate 1.14 are still completely justified. Ultimately, it stems from why people play Minecraft. And for the minority that play it for the reasons I play it, the direction that the game has taken is disheartening. This isn't because the game is objectively getting worse, but because the game is becoming something else, which in our eyes is less valuable an experience.

The "new era" hate, as you put it, is definitely not pointless, I just hope you can try to step outside of your opinions to see why to some people (like me), this might be far more significant.
06/09/2019 2:10 pm
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/10/2019 7:55 pm
Level 27 : Expert Explorer
barrowisp
Are there any updates that you would appreciate, QuinoaFalafel? What 'direction' could the game take that wouldn't disappoint you?

I say this in sincere curiosity; please read my comments as kind, not sarcastic. I appreciate your stance
06/11/2019 3:26 pm
QuinoaFalafel
No, that's a very good question, and I'm more than happy to answer.

I'll start by saying that I actually really enjoy 1.13. While I initially was very skeptical of additions like phantoms and drowned, I do not hate them, and the changes to both ocean generation and water mechanics, though sometimes frustrating, make the oceans far more exciting.

The one thing about 1.14 that I actually love, is everything command or map creation related, though i haven't personally experienced it yet. As I am (sort of) creating an adventure map myself, I always welcome additions in this area, as they allow for a lot more options.

In my view, the best route Minecraft could take would be expand on the game without restricting it. This might sound confusing, but I'll explain. The changes in 1.14 expand heavily on villages, but also restrict at the same time. The aesthetic of the villages is less simplistic, and as such less universal. it makes it harder to create your own history and lore. This is added to by things like bells, and raids. Perhaps the biggest restrictor, though, are the new Villager textures. They sort of limit villagers to a particular time era. Straw hats, for example, make it very difficult to play a world that is intended to be ancient themed.

That said, expansions that don't limit could be a number of things. For starters, simply adding more block variants. For example, there really should be concrete slabs and stairs, and walls couldn't hurt either. Another possibility would be adding new block types or uses. Maybe some sort of vertical slab possibility, etc.

I also would like to see some sort of implementation of cubic chunks, or a raised block limit, depending on how that would affect existing worlds. And I'm generally open to expansions of mechanics. I warmed up to combat changes when they came, changed water physics, etc. and those changes do tend to have positive effects.

What I don't like seeing is gimmicky additions such as parrots, pandas, or polar bears (it's not so much the idea of the mobs I dislike, so much as their appearance and function. For example, I really don't like all the extra functions they gave to pandas, it just feels childish to me), or changes that overcomplicate gameplay. Changes like the new villager mechanics and changing ways for obtaining different materials, such as right clicking with tools instead of crafting, while they make the game a little more interesting for most players, can be very frustrating for players like me.

To me, the ideal way to play Minecraft is in survival, but the goal is creation. The goal is to build up a world, not just physically with blocks, but with your imagination, creating a story for the world, and living within it. But building is also essential. And that is when harnessing of glitches and automation of resource collection become essential. Without this, materials would be far scarcer, and builds simply couldn't be as ambitious. It would be far less feasible to build a city, or the like. And to me, many of these changes are limiting this, and making the game more tedious and less enjoyable.

Really, it comes down to what I have always seen as the universal nature of Minecraft. It can become whatever you want it to become, and your imagination and creativity is the only limit. I feel that recent updates (specifically 1.14) have been slowly chipping away at this quality, in favor of a more mainstream consumerist audience. The fans get bored, and those who cannot find the imagination within to make more of the game from what there already is, demand new things, and so that is what is given.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope this answers your question. Though, admittedly, I definitely talked about a lot more than just what I would want in updates.
06/04/2019 4:35 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
LivingRellik
Honestly, I didn't really think that 1.14 was going to be very good but i actually really like it. A lot of people want 1.15 to be A cave or PVP update but honestly, I think the Nether needs some love.
06/09/2019 2:19 pm
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/10/2019 6:20 pm
QuinoaFalafel
honestly, as much as I would enjoy new biomes, I don't want a biome update, because I don't want world gen to change again. That would make for some really ugly boundaries in a lot of worlds.
06/10/2019 6:35 pmhistory
Level 48 : Master Dinosaur
Sir_Craftypants
Simple and straight answer NO! Not too far.

Why? Because no ones stopping us from staying on 1.12 including Mojang, when we could just keep playing 1.12 until our hearts content and not be bothered by present or future updates.

See in my opinion, unless you've played the likes of games like World of Warcraft then you haven't even experienced forced and enforced change, like when Blizzard took a perfectly successful talent tree system and completely removed it for a more simplified talent system. There was no need for them to do, as the saying goes, if it isn't broken then don't try to fix it. See Mojang firstly are not charging you a monthly fee to play, second they are not breaking the game mechanics and third, they're not forcing you to play 1.13 or 1.14.

However it's interesting that a small section of Minecraft players are not liking 1.13 and, or 1.14. although I can't fathom why because I think it's great. So my answers yes I love all the updates and the community of modders. I've just finished my first Datapack and first Resource pack which will in due course be released once I've done the video for it.

Obviously I'm a Java player so coming from that perspective.
06/08/2019 5:24 am
Level 44 : Master Artist
GabishGab
i also started 2012, but i honestly love all the new updates
06/01/2019 11:54 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Architect
HirsuteWitch
I think the biggest point is that you can play most versions of Minecraft at any point! So if you feel as though a certain update ruined minecraft, you can play before that update only!
06/09/2019 1:17 pm
QuinoaFalafel
This is obviously true, but does have drawbacks. For instance, it cuts you off from the majority of the community. Whether that be with mods or servers, your options will be far more limited.
06/01/2019 7:59 pm
Level 47 : Master Robot
Wikimaster0
I honestly think it needs these new grand updates to be able to compete with Hytale's large amount of content. And I don't want to see Minecraft lose a ton of players to Hytale.
06/02/2019 1:36 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/09/2019 1:23 pm
QuinoaFalafel
To me, the spirit of Minecraft means that it would be illogical to even think that Hytale could compete with it. Rather, by adding the sort of content that Hytale might add, Minecraft is turning itself more into the kind of game that Hytale will be, rather than remaining primarily a platform of expression. To be fair, this will all make Minecraft more successful, but success does not account for everything. There is a big difference between popular and high quality. many masterpieces get little recognition in their time. I feel that Minecraft is sacrificing its quality for popularity, a business model which is extremely successful, but is very unfortunate for the minority of players who play the game primarily for creative expression.
06/01/2019 3:18 amhistory
Level 4 : Apprentice Farmer
BabyBlueberry
My idea of survival was get diamonds. Other people, kill the ender dragon and tame the nether. That still exists, yes, but now it's easy.

Minecraft, to me, has began pushing types of gameplay - it's no longer really a sandbox for me. It's becoming more and more like a silly little RPG every update.

All the new block types added are absolutely fantastical - for creative. Not so much for survival. Sure, you can build a house out of wood if you want, but maybe I don't like all the god awful spruce trees and forests that seem to be endless in my worlds. I'd rather end up with just the oak and birch biomes entirely. No matter how far I explore, it's just spruce.

Anyways, off topic. The new blocks are cool, yeah, but, not horribly practical for survival - not true survival at least. That being said, I don't find survival to be survival anymore. I have to practically try to hug a creeper for me to die now. There is no more falling to my death in a cave, or being mobbed by skeletons, or, oh gods, my one true fear, a spider jockey. There is no more building shelters, there's now walking 15 blocks from spawn and just camping out in a village for the rest of my survival career. Free bed, crafting tables, loot, - even a free iron golem. Not only is it hard to just die now, but it's hard to fail in general.

The ever elusive mooshroom biome now practically doesn't exist at all. That used to be a treat, now it's a chore. Now I have all these silly little specific, fancy crafting tables that I'm very much not cool with. If I ever, ever happen to need a certain block, god forbid, now I have to make this whole new block for it for this one time thing.

Arguably it is a positive that things are being fleshed out as they are - yes, squidward-noses with personalities is cool. But they're being fleshed out in pathetic ways that I frankly just call filler content.Ocelots and cats are different things now? Cool! I guess... Foxes are cute! They eat berries! But, like, that's all? I can excuse pandas, jungles were absolutely wretchedly desolate, and panda variants were clever enough for me to be intrigued. Arguably though, still useless.

Mechanics of the game are another matter entirely that I'm personally not well educated on but can certainly voice that there was a change that I thoroughly did not like.

Mods that used to be absolutely golden, like Mo' Creatures, are now made obsolete. Minecraft in those 1.6-1.7-1.8 stages were golden because yeah they were underdeveloped, but that allowed for people to mod their game, get the things they wanted, get the things they didn't know they needed, all with the extra flair of being made by someone not up in the big system. Little flavors of mechanics that differed from what was currently there. Now, I'd argue that Minecraft isn't compatible with mods at all.

The only reason I haven't reverted my game back to my version of the "good old days" is because the new updates have just enough stuff in them to make me miss the new updates. Mainly the new blocks. All in all, I kind of feel like I'm being conned to keep using the new updates, there's just enough good for me to use it, but it certainly leaves a bitter taste in my mouth with all the useless and arguably bad things that come with it.

Edited for: this was a frickin' mess
06/01/2019 1:08 amhistory
Level 49 : Master Dolphin
pale1
I disagree with you. I think the direction minecraft is going in is perfect. For starters the new texturepack in 1.14 is amazing. As a builder, I have to say that everything looks so much better with the new resource pack. My terrain looks better, the block variation looks better, and it's much smoother.

As for the influx of new mobs and structures, I'm all for it. My friends and I tried to have a little nostalgia moment by opening upa server on a beta version of Minecraft a little while ago. I was overjoyed initially. I felt like I was right back in my childhood (been playing since 2011 back when I was in middle school). I explored a while, found some diamonds, and built a pretty cool fort, but after that was done, I felt really empty. I didn't know what else to do with myself. Back in the beta, the nether had no temples, there was no End, etc. I had reached the end game and was bored so I quit. My friends got bored shortly after and we closed the server in less than a week.

Because of this, I feel like Minecraft is going in the right direction by adding more content. 1.14 feels like the best update I've played in a while. I usually stick to playing solely multiplayer because of all of the crazy things people can make with plugins, but I finally feel like I enjoy singleplayer again. I started up my world, found a village, traded with the villagers and built a house with stables for my horse. Outside my house I set up a farm and let the villagers work the field. I've been spending most of my time redecorating the village by making the houses look more functional (blacksmith's shop, fisherman's huts, Leather worker shop, etc.). All of this would have been impossible in the beta mind you.

Microsoft and Mojang are making all of the right moves right now which is why this game is back in the limelight again.
06/09/2019 12:31 am
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Wrangler
As a player of Mod Minecraft, i find the changes not so great. it adds some extras so the game for sure. However, those with mods such as Movecraft it's headache and causes older mods less likely to be used.
06/09/2019 12:15 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Hunter
SeamusTheHunter
"Has Minecraft carried it too far?" sounds very clickbait.

"Now I see the developers on Minecraft are just taking every single mod idea there could ever be and adding it to the actual game."
"every single mod idea there could ever be"
Not remotely, although I suppose that was hyperbole.
06/03/2019 4:12 pmhistory
Level 21 : Expert Network
WungaWunga
Can’t say I like the new updates much. With MS getting desperate due to the rise of Hytale, each update Mojang dishes out is more radical than the last. Most servers and plugin devs can hardly keep up; I’ve decided to stay on 1.12. My main problem with the new versions is the reducing aesthetic of the game— before 1.13, Minecraft was renowned as an engine in which you can build anything from futuristic cities to prehistoric settlements. Now, the changing textures and new blocks are all heading the same way— Medieval fantasy. That’s great for people who enjoy said building style (I enjoy building a castle here and there myself!), but what about the rest of us? In my opinion, they need to minimize features that pin the game to a fixed time period.
06/04/2019 9:17 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
404_name_missing
We're given the illusion of choice. New Minecraft and Hytale are very similar to each other. People are hyping Hytale because of one reason: Indie Cred. It's made by an "indie" (not really) developer, so it's supposedly good.
06/05/2019 5:10 pmhistory
Level 49 : Master Dolphin
pale1
Not that this thread is even about Hytale, but people are excited about that game because it seems to add very easy customization for player's to create their own content to share with the community. The game gives you a lot of freedom in what you are able to create, while also providing an enormous base game. No one cares that it's made by Hypixel and his team.

Your mention of the "illusion of choice" seems completely irrelevant.
06/04/2019 7:41 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Archer
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
the changing textures - programmer art pack, its built in
06/01/2019 11:38 pm
Level 26 : Expert Explorer
ChronoFury
Well, Minecraft has not gone too far. Far from it in fact. The updates that we received on the past few years pale in comparison to the updates that most AAA games are getting.

The fact is that constant updates are necessary to draw in new players. Seeing some of the comments here about how Mojang should stop updating Minecraft to further "ruin" it, is quite sad to be honest.

Sure, Minecraft can always rely on nostalgia and not update the game. We will likely keep playing - but for how long?

The game needs to attract new players in order to survive and updates are the best way to hook new players in and keep the existing playerbase satisfied.

Wikimaster0 mentioned that Minecraft needs to compete with Hytale's seemingly large amount of content and I agree. Hytale will be a massive game upon launch. Therefore, Minecraft needs to have updates in order to retain its playerbase or they will drop the game quickly and happily move over to Hytale.
06/02/2019 1:37 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/05/2019 3:57 pm
Roroo
Just to clarify, I - personally - am not asking the Devs to stop updating Minecraft, but I don't feel the same vibes when playing the new versions. I feel like it's a new game I am not proud of..
06/09/2019 1:39 pm
QuinoaFalafel
I agree on a business standpoint. You are completely right, in that updates are what keep players coming, and without them the majority of the playerbase would leave. But when I stated that I wished they would stop updating, that was a personal desire, one I know will not happen, and that I know the vast majority of the community would strongly disagree with.

The thing is, for a minority of the playerbase, me included, Minecraft isn't just a game. It's a platform for creative expression, and there is nothing short of a real world apacalypse that would stop the game from being played. I would never drop Minecraft. To drop Minecraft would essentially be dropping a part of who I am.

I have never come across anyone, save my brothers and me, who plays Minecraft the way I do. I realize that for most people, the experience is somewhat superficial. But for those of us who use Minecraft as a world to create - and not just buildings, but imaginary societies, governments, religions, characters, etc., all of which I and my brothers have created in our main world - nothing can stop us from playing Minecraft.

Take D&D. People try it out, stop playing, etc. But there will always be people that get really involved with it, and to whom D&D will always hold a special place in their lives. It is the same for Minecraft.

So, if nothing else, take away this. People might leave Minecraft, but there will always be people to whom Minecraft means far more, and even if the game fades to relative obscurity, the game will never die.
06/01/2019 9:39 am
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
I get that Minecraft isn't what it used to be, and that the addition of raids in 1.14 as well as the new water stuff in 1.13. I think it's progress, and I belive most of the community would agree. It doesn't feel like Mojang has been pushing to get new content into the game, but instead more as if they were taking it slowly and getting the feedback from the community (via their feedback site) to hear what they wanted.

And if 1.12 was the last good update for you, then I know there are lots of servers out there that can offer you a 1.12 experience. That goes for the old 1.8 players as well, heck! I found a server that was called something alike NostaligicCraft where they ran a survival server, but it was the first beta release of Minecraft :'D

While yes, 1.14 doesn't feel like "minecraft" it kinda does. It just feels like a more grown up version of Minecraft. A place for everyone from the builders with their colourful blocks in 1.12, their water elevators in 1.13. The coders, the texture creators. At least in my eyes - While not everything has been good in 1.13+, I think the pro's of these versions, heavily outweighs the con's :)
06/01/2019 2:37 am
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/01/2019 7:54 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Engineer
SuperMBTutorials
I completely agree, i dont wanna fill this comment section with a copy paste, but if u share the same opinion, check out my post www.planetminecraft.com/forums/minecraft/discussion/my-opinion-on-modern-minecraft-588237/
05/31/2019 10:21 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
Troglodev
Agreed. I honestly think minecraft should retire, or at the very least, not go so big with their updates. They should just do smaller updates like adding new ores, or crafting recipes with already existing items or something. Don't take it the wrong way when I say they should retire. Minecraft is am incredible game and it's had an amazing run, I just thing they're dragging it on for too long, to the point where it's not simplistic anymore, which is what it was intended to be.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome