Is Minecraft really doing the right thing?

Nitgo's Avatar Nitgo6/11/19 11:10 am
6/22/2019 3:45 pm
Ps2 Slim's Avatar Ps2 Slim
One of Mojang's latest replays to community is by telling people what suggestion they can add to the game and what they can't, Though some of the things they can't add to the game are a little strange like
  • Not adding the ability stack slabs on top of each other or the idea of slabs being able to stand.
  • Some structure wont be added.
  • Some perfectly reasonable abilities not being added to the game.

2009 image

As some Might say that I totally disagree with all the things they said and that's not true, such as that I agree that guns shouldn't be added and not adding items closely resembling already existing items, but what I don't like are ideas that will perfectly fit into the regular Minecraft world.... You tell me your ideas about it:

Poll ended 07/01/2019 11:10 am.

Nitgo
Level 75 : Legendary Sus

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/11/2019 11:13 am
Level 75 : Legendary Sus
Nitgo
I truly think that "somethings" should be rethink-ed but the others are perfectly fine.
06/11/2019 1:05 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc2713049
[deleted]
06/11/2019 1:14 pmhistory
Level 27 : Expert Button Pusher
Abdera Associate
I'm not going to say that I totally agree with everything they do. But, as someone who has a little understanding of and respect for the difficult of game development, I trust that Mojang is doing the right thing. Besides, they've been at it for ten years and the game has not "died" yet, so they're doing something right.
06/11/2019 2:51 pmhistory
Level 46 : Master Skinner
R_Ryan
The half-slab stacking thing is one of my oldest wishes in Minecraft, but I understand that it would be extremely difficult to actually add into the game due to the way slabs actually work.

They're not actually half-sized, rather it's a full-sized block that's transparent on one half. When you stack two identical slabs, all it really does is replace the slab with its corresponding full block. Mojang would basically have to either completely reprogram the game from the ground up or create an asset that's a full block made of every possible combination of two types of slab to add the behavior we want.

I do hope they'll eventually get there, but it's such a tall order, I understand why they're taking it off the table for now.
06/20/2019 12:45 am
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
WhoAteMyButter
They might be able to do it via modeling.
06/20/2019 1:12 am
R_Ryan
Are you saying, by making a wireframe model that actually is half a block?
06/20/2019 1:16 amhistory
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
WhoAteMyButter
Well, yes. Using the variants tag, just apply a different texture to the top model.
They'd have to make different models both for a bottom slab, top, and double, and just retexture those models accordingly.
06/20/2019 1:35 am
R_Ryan
AH, I see what you're saying, I think. That's basically what I meant by creating an asset for every possible combination i.e. top oak/bottom stone, top oak/bottom spruce, top oak, bottom prismarine... etc.

It's definitely doable, just more work than they're currently willing to dedicate to something that only a fraction of their customer base really wants. I know some people would actually complain about it losing some of the "minecraftiness" of it.

Personally, I'd rather they go the other route of reprogramming all asset's behavior to allow block origin points at fractional coordinates. Like being able to place an item at Y=60.5 instead of just Y=60 or Y=61. That would fix not just slabs but putting things on top of carpet or different snow layers.

Of course, there's already a couple of mods that do it, so maybe they figure anyone who really wants it will just get a mod.
06/11/2019 4:08 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Miner
ScotsMiser
Where is it that MS/Mj is telling people this?

Some of what is listed sounds like paraphrases from the "suggestions we won't consider" section [whatever it;s actually called].
EDIT: found it https://feedback.minecraft.net/hc/en-us/articles/360005029872-Previously-Considered-Suggestions

This sort of thing is fine, MS/Mj has (as a matter of corporate policy) nixed these suggestions for the foreseeable future [What "decided they are not a fit" actually means.] Even if some of them [eg sharks] are more stomp their corporate feet and shake their corporate curls rather than logical, talking to a wall of openly declared obstinancy serves no purpose.

[MCF had a quite good suggestions sub-fora (the nearest @ PCM would seem to be adding to the general MC discussion), and posting one's ideas for these subjects in such fora may prove inspirational to various mod writers.]

If however MS/Mj has started listing material that may not be included in mods, please cite the source of this policy.
06/11/2019 4:19 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Architect
Ps2 Slim
One thing I cant get over is Mojang adding phantoms to the game.
I understand their purpose and yet all they are is a nuisance in the late game. It seems like Mojang is so focused on adding new things that they neglect the huge problems the current game already brings to the table.
06/16/2019 3:49 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
deathwatch3300
The community voted for the phantom...
This cannot be pinned on Mojang :P
06/18/2019 10:41 pm
Ps2 Slim
Mojang rigged the scales and you know it
06/20/2019 9:51 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
Do you seriously have such a bad opinion of the makers of this game? While, myself personally would've preferred the "King Blaze", I feel like if it'd been any of the other three, there'd be some way to easily (and not annoyingly) avoid them, while the method of avoiding the current one is just more of a hassle than any of the others could have been (theoretically).
06/22/2019 3:45 pm
Ps2 Slim
don't worry im not attacking jeb with my sharp 4 intellect im just saying the new mob idea was a bit of a dumb move
06/16/2019 3:28 am
Level 1 : New Collective
Mister K
They should revamp mining bit of minecraft as i like strip mining but everything feels the same.

They don't have to generate same chunks of ores prerecorded but completely random. Just rarerity and height should be the same.

I do like it if theres random amount of diamonds.

Also delete iron farms. They kill minecraft.

Also delete mending it makes diamonds much cheaper.

Or just stick to beta. Its better.

Bioms should change too. Make it look like beta again
06/20/2019 1:31 am
Level 42 : Master Dragonborn
IndyJacksonTT
Three words:

COMBAT UPDATE!!!!

Oh wait that's two.

*dies*
06/20/2019 9:55 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
The reason they made the list of things they won't consider is mainly (in my opinion) because of their high frequency of being requested, when it has been stated already that they do not plan on adding them, on top of the fact that it may have been preventing them from looking at the ideas they would consider adding.

But I view the list as a way to at-a-glance see what they've already denied to be added, instead of combing through pages and pages of suggestions to see if something has already been suggested (which most people don't do).
06/20/2019 11:30 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
LivingRellik
One idea, is you should be able to stack different types of slabs on each other, EX. a stone slab on a wooden slab. Also vertical slabs would be a nice addition.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome