ITS HAPPENING

Gameknight14's Avatar Gameknight1410/26/18 7:43 pm
11/11/2018 6:20 am
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
It's finally happening. Minecraft is dead. Recently, Mojang released a screenshot of the latest snapshot. It does not bode well. What I see in that picture is not Minecraft. I see a new game. I'm not sure what it is, or even what it's name will be. But it is not Minecraft. Mojang is changing things, and not for the better. If this continues, we may see servers disappearing, 1.7.10 servers will cease to exist! Come join me in a fight for a cause, the cause of...
Minecraft. We need to bring it back, help save it from the destruction ahead. Preserve its code and treasure it forever. The other game that now exists will come raging through, but... Minecraft. Will. Live. On. Come vote with me for a poll, a poll to show our support for the original, true, classic Minecraft we all know and love.
Gameknight14
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/08/2018 10:07 pm
Gameknight14
Minecraft is dead, I guess I have to accept that now.
11/08/2018 10:07 pm
Gameknight14
Judging by everyones comments and the giant poll looming over me, I see people are just as blind as I was when these updates started happening. Little bits and pieces were added, most fit the general look but soon I noticed some discrepancies. Eventually they got so big they got to here, and now everyone is so blinded they have been tricked into accepting this.
11/11/2018 6:20 amhistory
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Look to me like you've constructed yourself an echo chamber and are too enthralled by your own sense of genius to look outside of it. Carry on with your 'One Way' I guess. For all your rants, you do not address the points at which your case fails, such as the call for you to give something more substantial than wishy-washy opinions completely unsubstantiated by population levels or by the more subjective idea of a game living in spirit, as the original developers are still there, as well as the original content in slightly modified form. What the heart of minecraft is, well, that's completely subjective. But if it is so bendable and subjective, you should look in the mirror before you start with the 'blind' crap.

I've played since 2009, happening upon the game quite randomly and enjoying it for its simplicity and potential that was ultimately realized in the early versions. I have little bone with the changes, even as MC has taken a more RPG approach and changed up the visuals. It posesses the same spirit, even if the execution is somewhat different. But it is not your place to determine if a game is dead, and you have done an abysmal job of making a proper argument out of it.

I think Minecraft has fallen in the pit of useless bloat; throwing in random junk because it seemed kinda cool while avoiding a drive to legitimately hammer in on a field that mods have already blown vanilla away on achieving. But short of the game becoming a pay to win marketing scheme with built in advertisements, it is still the same source that Mojang has been building from for close to a decade. That is the only quantifiable measure you can hammer upon, the only metric upon which you can call someone blind, aside from the obvious fallacy that forms when you try to approach population that way.

Please, accept it's dead in your own eyes, and play something that brings you more enjoyment.
10/28/2018 6:18 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
Also, if you want to talk about games dying, wait a couple months for the next big thing to come out and for fortnite to have a 20 minute wait time to start a match. Wait time will increase and player count will decrease exponentially. More "professional" players will want to stay, making the game unfriendly for unexperienced players. Fortnite (and other knock-off battle royales) better do its best to attract people to it's PvE mode in order to survive the next big trend!
10/28/2018 6:12 pmhistory
Level 31 : Artisan Engineer
garlicbreathinator
  While they did update the textures, most of us will just use a resource pack to replace them with the old ones. They need a lot more work before they are finished, but the new textures do not change the game. The new updates have a lot more under the hood than you realize, too.

  Since minecraft was such a hit, tons of other companies jumped on the bandwagon and started building more survival games like ARK and No Mans Sky. While none of these is similar enough to minecraft to replace it the way other genres get completely replaced every couple years, minecraft needs to keep exploring new territory to differentiate itself from these new competitors and retain it's aging playerbase. Many of the features in the new updates "modernize" the game as not just a survival game but a "sandbox game engine" like Garry's Mod. Since very few sandboxes have the simplicity and versatility that Minecraft is striving for, it will have a more solid footing compared to it's recent copycats.

The problem is not minor changes like tweaks to the default graphics, though. It's features like updated villages, useless mobs, and other content available to players from the minute they open the world. Since all of these new features require very little progression in the game to access, it becomes more and more complex for newer players to pick up. This leaves the game incredibly "wide", with very little depth.
A rant/explanation of the depth of crafting systems (from the perspective of new players)
Let's look at crafting systems, for instance: The most basic and easiest to understand crafting system is the 2x2 grid in your inventory. The next step is the 3x3 grid of a crafting table, which gives players more options without difficulty. The next system a new player encounters is the furnace, which takes a little bit of thought, but is still predictable. The last couple blocks with crafting mechanics have more complicated systems behind them. Enchant tables require bookshelves, XP, Lapis, and have a random element. New players need to experiment to learn that the 3 stages of enchantment give different qualities of enchantments and have different costs.

  Brewing stands are next. They have the most complicated crafting system in the game, with multi-stage crafting, a need for fuel, and complex interactions between different ingredients. Worst of all, they have no built-in recipe guide, so you either need to memorize recipes or deal with a lot of trial and error. Anvils are also more difficult for new players to understand. Between combining enchantments, optimizing experience costs, and naming items; it will take young players a bit of experimentation to figure out how to best use an anvil. They also fall, take damage, and break.

  The fact that players can sequence-break and build a nether portal with lava buckets makes the game quite wide in it's early stages. However, that primarily affects older players that have the experience to preform such a trick. The game's newer features (parrots, ocean ruins, shipwrecks, burried treasure (and therefore rare minerals for low effort), polar bears, pandas, taiga features, complex villages) make it so that nothing except the end and elytra are locked behind any sort of progression. The fact that new players can open a world and find 5 diamonds in a buried treasure within 5 minutes makes time spent mining quite useless. Minecraft is falling apart, just not in the way you have been talking about.

Thanks for letting me rant,

Garlicbreathinator
10/28/2018 3:57 pm
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
A game isn't dying because they change how it looks or feels, it's still the same game. And, this isn't the first time they've changed textures to make them all fit together as a concise and propper game, and honestly, I don't think this will be the last time they change them.
10/27/2018 10:36 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Birb
DukkiStuff
its not dead. just not 'minecraft' anymore.
10/27/2018 6:20 pm
Level 46 : Master Bunny
kodayne
ok....?
10/27/2018 7:15 am
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
Karrfis
y'know you can just not install the new versions of minecraft and play the old ones right

all they are doing is re-working textures and adding new items, thats how development of this sort of game works
10/27/2018 6:09 pm
Gameknight14
Reworking textures and changing the basic mechanics and feel of the game? I don't think this has anything to do with developing the game anymore, at least not the way it started with. At this point it's more of what fans wish were in the game, which is the whole point of mods and why they were invented by fans of the game.
10/28/2018 2:35 pm
Level 41 : Master System
Devi The Panda
*facepalm* Not to be mean but look up how EACH and EVERY game has developed. If the game stopped at any point in time, than it would inevitably die out because people got bored of the same stuff again and again. New Mechanics, new textures, new mobs, ect are what make this game fun and exciting.
10/27/2018 9:42 pm
Level 22 : Expert Explorer
ShastaGaming16
Just play the old 1.7.10 version. You just can't stop it from updating and the popularity of this game has been going up more than it is going down.
10/26/2018 9:49 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Professor
Eli the Zeratoed
When I saw the title of thread, I immediately thought of this gif:
Steven Universe Peridot GIF - StevenUniverse Peridot ItsHappening GIFs
But in my opinion, I could care less about this "new game" direction. They're not going to touch the old versions at all and the time machine still exists, so unless they release another launcher that kills off that feature, I think Minecraft and it's old versions will be okay and you'll have nothing to worry about. :3
10/26/2018 8:05 pm
Devi The Panda
The heck are you talking about? Minecraft isn't dead -.-
10/27/2018 6:05 pm
Gameknight14
Your opinion, not mine. I added a vote option for people who have the opinion that it's still Minecraft and that they're just improving it.
10/27/2018 8:57 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
An opinion is disliking the update, which you clearly do. A fact is that dead is something quantifiable by a sheer lack of activity and the developers of the game itself abandoning the game.

Minecraft, by this site alone, is clearly still active at the community level. The same development team exists as in the beginning and is continuing development. This game is objectively not dead, and you cannot worm away from the fact by claiming opinion. You dislike the update. That is an opinion. Minecraft is dead? That's just a bad grip of English or an outright fallacy.

Your poll is ridiculously biased in its options and your explanation that I am responding to is clearly a different take than what your poll says. Now, that may be an opinion, but if you would like me to get into the particulars of language, I can make a damn good case for objectivity there too.
10/26/2018 8:08 pm
Devi The Panda
Are you talking about Bedrock edition?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome