Minecraft Being Commercialized?

CreatorsPL's Avatar CreatorsPL2/18/15 7:20 pm
1 emeralds 446 9
2/19/2015 8:27 am
CreatorsPL's Avatar CreatorsPL
My name is Desire, or T Hoskins.

This is just a Article i wrote.

Ive been playing the Indie Sandbox game Minecraft since it first came out. The building block, simple graphic game struck me as unique. I went ahead and started getting into it, logging on to my first server, doing some pvp. About in early 2013, I had been on PMC for just a few months, and just got into the real latch of the amazing community around Minecraft itself, even the servers, how they are ran and there websites where people busy around talking about PvP, or they favorite clan. About mid 2014, I wanted my own server.

By that time, PvP was my jam, and was a thrill. I was getting pretty decent, and learning some tricks. I thought about youtube, but just didn't seem like my thing. But after playing on so many servers and buying so many donation ranks, BUZZ, I wanted my own server. I talked to my father at the time about calling a host. My dad hooked me up with a hosting service, -nope- and I got right to work. Being quite integrated in business and journalism at my age, I knew what had to happen. I slid over to PMC, and start bringing in staff. Plugins were amazement to me, but after re opening my server, i got the hang of it. But recently, i tried again, much more experienced, and a thought crossed my mind.

Minecraft, the game that was just a hobby for everyone, a fun experience and much worth your 27 dollars, now is commercialized as hell. So, for my server I started searching for builders. There builds were amazing. But, they cost money? What the hell? Minecraft is a game, not a way to make money. Donations are one thing, but money for a build

This is virtual people, not real construction. People are asking me to pay them money, actually Hundreds, for them to build me a Hub. If you want money, I recommended stop using a kids game, and go get a real job. Right? Like, 100s of dollars for virtual builds. Minecraft has become so so commercialized.

Another Example, Developers for servers. Ok, a couple bucks i respect, learning to code is hard, and you deserve a reward. But as i searched for a developers, this is PEOPLES F’ING JOB. They get paid hourly. Is this happening? People using minecraft as a way of income to live?

Im just saying, this though struck me. What are you opinions? I'll answer ASAP.
CreatorsPL
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/18/2015 10:47 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
Almost everything will be monetized at one point in time. It is a simple fact of life. Like what everyone else is saying, if you are good at something, you should charge for it.
02/18/2015 10:06 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
As it has been said by the prince of crime, yeah, you know.

Honestly, I don't even care. People have every right to do it. If you disagree, then you disagree. There really isn't much to be said or done about it. If you dislike it, then it kinda sucks to be you.

People can make money from making builds, just like people can make money from art and the like. It's all art, and Minecraft is just a way of expressing yourself, in the same way you could use an art program to make money on.
02/18/2015 9:21 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Mlem Mlem Bat
Insanity
Joker speaks the truth
02/18/2015 9:36 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
ME1312
The Joker should be a financial advisor XD
02/18/2015 7:37 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I feel that when someone complains about people asking for money for commissions, be it coding or building or art related, that they themselves don't understand taking requests or commissions because they have never taken one.

As an artist, I enjoy making art. I also enjoy making art for others. However, if you want my time dedicated to your project and want input on how I create what you're requesting, I want to be paid for my time and effort. It takes a lot of time and effort to do what I do and if you had the skill to do what I'm doing for you, you wouldn't have asked me to do it for you.

Yes, you're right that it's a game. It isn't about money. However, money is a part of the community whether you like it or not. If you want a builder or a programmer to make something for you using a practiced skill you don't have, I think it's fair if that person decides to charge for their time as it does take a lot of time and effort.

On the topic of "real jobs", what is a real job? I quantify that as something that pays you. Being a moderator on Planet Minecraft is not a "real" job because I don't get paid. It's volunteer work. Is building or programming a "real" job? I think so, because you can choose to charge others for your time, effort, and skill. Lots of people take freelance work and aren't on any one company's payroll, like many freelance graphic and website designers. Their jobs seem real to me.

I think what this whole topic boils down to is really just my original point: people who complain that people charge for things like building or plugin creation do not fully understand the time, skill, and effort put into doing those things because they lack the skill and experience in those areas. Perhaps they're even a tinge jealous of people who charge for these services because they don't want to or cannot provide the same services.
02/18/2015 8:13 pm
CreatorsPL
You have a very good point. Time and effort is definitely true. But at the same time, this is just a game, and is ment to have fun on, and enjoy your time. I'm not saying getting money on Minecraft is horrible or stupid! I'm just putting out my personal thoughts.
02/18/2015 9:39 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
A lot of games nowadays are less, "Lets have fun!" and more "Pay money to have fun!".

It sucks really.
02/19/2015 8:27 am
CreatorsPL
Exactly
02/18/2015 7:35 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
A couple bucks for a plugin developer? lol. Any sort of person who's going to be doing programming/coding for you is not going to just take a couple dollars, it takes quite a bit of time and work to do that kind of stuff..
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome