Minecraft going Open Source?! (no: not the entire game!)

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser10/9/18 8:47 am
1 emeralds 394 4
10/16/2018 4:52 am
ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser
Hi gang!

Disclaimer: I don't actively follow the news around Minecraft just like I don't activity follow the news around some of the other projects which I'm seriously interested in. Of course I do catch up from time to time, but if you're wondering why I only noticed this just now...now you know ;)

During MineCon 2018 it got announced that the Bedrock edition was going to get add-ons: players could put together their own text files which would allow them to completely alter the game. Of course still within the rules of the game, but even so it did provide options to customize things. Like creating new mobs or items, even while texturing them. Rumor has it that add-ons are eventually planned for all Minecraft editions.

But as mentioned this is only for the Bedrock edition for now.

So picture my surprise when I read about Mojang opening up some of the game. This does involve Java.

Basically it boils down to this: Minecraft is using libraries to make certain part of the game 'work'. This is a very common way of working with so called Object Oriented programming languages: you basically build small parts (sometimes individual) which, when combined, will form your bigger project.

Now Mojang are planning to release some of those libraries as Open Source, free for the community to use for their own. And because it's open source it won't matter for what purposes either. Want to use it for your own games? Go right ahead. Of course the general idea seems to be to allow programmers to more easily build upon Minecraft, but this time in an officially supported way.

The libraries will be licensed under the MIT license which is a very daring step which should be highly valued because it means that we get a lot of freedom to do with the libraries as we want.

The first library is already available today: Brigadier (link to GitHub repository).

Brigadier is the library which handles the command parsing in Minecraft 1.13 (and up). So all those commands you get to see when you press / (or / followed by tab) or the display of dozens of parameters? That's all Brigadier.

And there's more but you'll see for yourself if you check the rest of Mojang's GitHub profile.

What do you think?

Poll ended 10/23/2018 8:47 am.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer