Minecraft Windows 10 edition vs Java

submitted 03/06/2018 11:43 am by AGTRigorMortis
2 emeralds28 replies • 4,797 views
For comparison, here's a video which explains the important difference between Minecraft Windows 10 edition, now bedrock edition, vs MC Java

Basically, you can have much higher render distances without optifine mods and it doesn't lag while doing so.
After some research I found out that Minecraft Windows 10 edition actually has a maximum render distance of 60 chunks, it only goes up to 56 on mine in single player or free multiplayer.

When I tested Java recently its maximum was only 32 chunks.

Notch's biggest mistake was coding Minecraft originally in Java virtual machine. Even today I dislike Java because of its flaws and this is one of them. It's too slow to be useful as a gaming code, nobody wants lag in games, lag sucks, a lot of this is to do with how good your hardware is, but optimisation and the efficiency of the engine/source code the game uses, is also important.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQ9EptEi9I
Posted by avatar
AGTRigorMortis
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

28 replies

05/11/2018 11:53 am
Level 1 New Miner
roy0927
I feel some doubt that all the videos can be played in the dvd media player windows 10 ,can any one tell me the best dvd player of all time.
03/12/2018 8:43 am
Level 41 Master Batman
Knux
Java is better. It feels better too. Also more up-to-date
03/12/2018 8:53 am
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
If you're using a PC with an expensive CPU, don't mind having to manually allocate the RAM in the launcher or if you don't care about having the most optimised version, be my guest. But as they say, careful for what you wish for.

I prefer bedrock edition, I like getting the most performance out of my games. Plus excluding mods it has nearly all the content Java version has and is confirmed to be getting the aquatic update, also it's coming to Nintendo Switch this year and will have the majority platform support. Xbox, PC, iOS, android and Switch. On top of this Super Duper graphics pack, an advanced shader pack which won't require fiddling around with mods and launcher to run. :)
03/16/2018 12:29 am
Level 16 Journeyman Modder
Nevermind3476
I have a sucky cpu and have never had to allocate ram, and mine works fine (besides graphic issues that were fixed by the latest driver update). There's something wrong with your computer.
03/10/2018 6:49 pm
Level 38 Artisan Droid
Scott
If Minecraft wasn't in Java, it wouldn't be where it is today.

Java is a LOT easier to get setup with in relation to programming, and it became incredibly popular (we are literally on a website that happened because of this) to mod the hell out of the game.

It got a lot of people into programming, and if it was written in a C family language, it would've been harder to get people setup and creating content.

While I understand that Java isn't the most optimised language, it allowed for rapid development of the game, and a good place for budding programmers to start. Java allows easy understanding of key programming concepts without a layer of confusion.

Take for example if Minecraft was written in C++. Header files would've been a problem, and dealing with compilation and getting everything working would've been MUCH more complicated.

Not only that, but decompiling .NET programs is NOWHERE near as easy as it is to decompile Java applications. It is literally a few clicks now to install Eclipse (arguably the starting IDE for new Minecraft modders) and have the decompiled code in front of you.
03/12/2018 8:28 am
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
If it wasn't for Minecraft Java then bedrock edition wouldn't have come to exist yes

but people need to look past their nostalgia glasses and look at the real picture here.
C++ as a source code still existed back in year 2009, there were better alternatives to Java virtual machine at the time, ones which would clearly make a game run much faster/smoother.

and Mojang has already proven that bedrock edition (C++) can run on various different platforms too, just like at what it is currently running on now: iphone, android, Xbox and Windows 10 PC or tablets like the Surface Pro. And soon, the Nintendo Switch will be getting this version. nintendoeverything.com/minecraft-bedrock-edition-submitted-to-nintendo/
03/13/2018 4:38 pm
Level 38 Artisan Droid
Scott
Thats not my point. I'm saying that the modding community would've existed to the scale it is today if it was coded in C++. Its undeniable that C++ is a LOT harder to edit once you have an output binary (unlike java decomposition).
03/10/2018 12:50 pm
Level 24 Expert Goblin
videogamer1002
literally all your arguments (and the video) are about performance and the programming language, which is the only thing that bedrock does better than java.
03/10/2018 3:52 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
You forgot to mention when it ends up on Nintendo Switch, it'll be cross playable over realms on 5 platforms. Java PC Minecraft is only playable on 3, Windows, Mac and Linux. :)
03/10/2018 4:42 pm
Level 24 Expert Goblin
videogamer1002
ok, bedrock has 2 points, but java has better servers, mods, resourcepacks, builds, commands...
03/09/2018 9:11 pm
Level 24 Expert Engineer
ShelLuser
I have to disagree with your negative comments regarding Java. Although many people claim the language is slow it's actually pure nonsense because when programmed properly then a Java program can easily be used for gaming if you want to. Another aspect to consider is that when you have a Java game you'll automatically cover 3 main platforms at once (Windows, Mac OS, Linux) and that's not something easily done otherwise.

With all that plus the very good accessibility of the Java platform as a whole (it's easy to learn) I'd say that Java was probably the best choice to make.

Too many people blame their own shortcomings on the tools they use, and if enough do that then others might even start believing that it's true. In this case it's not.

Note that I'm not claiming that Java is perfect or anything, and I definitely agree that if you build a setup using C (for example) you'll get more flexibility (if you know what you're doing!) because you don't have to rely on "standarized" routines to make things work but can actually optimize your code as much as possible. Of course you'll also be targeting one specific platform but that's besides the point.

But still. Java is hardly as bad as you claim it to be. As I said: in my opinion only a certain group of people blame the tools they use for their own shortcomings. And Java seriously isn't any different here.
03/10/2018 9:35 am
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
Bedrock edition will be cross playable on up to 5 platforms at once, when the realms update comes to Nintendo Switch, it is already cross compatible with 4, iOS, android, PC and Xbox One/S/X

It is proven that Windows 10 edition is far more optimised, by default and without the need for mods. So no, people aren't blaming their shortcomings on this one, you can't change reality or the facts, and the reality is Java VM doesn't run as fast as Windows 10 edition. This is why it was able to handle a higher rendering distance without causing severe lag in the first place.
03/10/2018 9:41 am
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
and FYI I have a PC with an i7 4790k, 16gb of DDR3 and a GTX 970. So I'm not using a "garbage PC"
I've ran tests, thoroughly and so have friends of mine and we all found similar results on this one, Windows 10 edition doesn't lag, while MC Java does sometimes, especially with 32 chunk rendering.

and you claiming Java was "the best choice to make" shows you haven't actually tested them both or cared to. If Java VM was so great there wouldn't have been a need for Mojang to redesign the game in C++ to begin with. :)
03/07/2018 5:43 pm
Level 38 Artisan Pyro
fisher521
The better render distance performance on Bedrock Engine is because of how it works.

On Java, Render distance and update distance are coupled together. However, on Bedrock Engine, Render distance and update distance are separate. This means you can see farther while the game only updates the chunks closest to you, saving performance.
03/08/2018 11:03 am
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
That is true, but this is still straight to the hardware C++, which means it isn't using some interpreter code like Java VM was to execute the application, it's native hardware this time and was a good move by Microsoft.

even if distance and tick radius were the same Windows 10 edition would most likely still run a lot better than the Java version on the exact same hardware.

I have a friend on Twitter who tells me Minecraft Java runs worse for him than Windows 10 edition and he uses an Intel i5 and an Nvidia GTX 1070 graphics card.

Emulation may work well for retro games, but not something like this. Emulation is too inefficient to make it worth while with a game like Minecraft.
03/06/2018 12:28 pm
Level 1 New Miner
chandlerklebs
Of course you have to admit that Java was a lot easier for people to mod because of the fact that people were able to somehow decompile the Java code and figure out how to modify it without access to the source code. Of course the Windows 10 edition does have superior performance but they made it a lot harder for people to hack and mess with. This can be good or bad depending on your opinion. I like how easy it is to screw around with the region files and delete parts of the world in Java edition. As far as playing the game itself, Bedrock Edition is better although I feel it still has a lot more bugs in it compared to the Java edition.
03/06/2018 12:38 pm
Level 3 Apprentice Miner
AGTRigorMortis
That is true, Windows 10 edition does have more annoying glitches than Java version

but how long has Java version been in development? a lot longer than Windows 10 edition
the beta of Minecraft Java started in year 2009, the final release of Java didn't come out until 2011.

Meanwhile Windows 10 edition, which uses C++ has only existed since the year 2015 beta.
03/08/2018 9:48 pm
Level 1 New Miner
chandlerklebs
I suppose the fact that they already released Windows 10 edition has allowed users to report the bugs so that they will be fixed.

Search

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2018
planetminecraft.com

Welcome