Name changing coming soon?

dsfdsfdsdsf's Avatar dsfdsfdsdsf10/25/13 11:42 am
1 emeralds 1.6k 57
11/2/2013 6:51 pm
dsfdsfdsdsf's Avatar dsfdsfdsdsf
I know there was a thread about this before, but i think its time to restart it since we now have "maybe" a confirmation?

In the patch notes:
* Preparations have been made to offer name change in the future

What do yall think about this?
dsfdsfdsdsf
Level 7 : Apprentice Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/25/2013 7:46 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Skinner
Reptillion
well, I chose yes because my name is poop.
10/25/2013 7:42 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
OMFG people just don't realize that they would make it so if the name you choose is taken they won't allow you to have it like when you make your account!
10/26/2013 1:31 pm
Level 21 : Expert Mage
quintoom
Indeed! Otherwise you have a ton load of Notches and Herobrines.
And everyday on your server you find Sky, CaptainSparklez etc.
10/25/2013 7:16 pm
Level 42 : Master Droid
GigabyteGiant
For 1.7 Mojang completely rewrote how multiplayer works, to prepare for name changes.
From what I have seen from the code (I decompiled the latest version of MC), all it will do is basically you can set a nickname for your player, but it will still use your base name for banning, kicking, opping, ranking, etc.

Mojang is smart, they know what they are doing.
10/25/2013 7:03 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
CanIHazBlog
If they don't want everything to break, they have to slowly implement this idea. They would first have to give everyone a static ID linked to their email, with a dynamic username. Then, they would have to write some code to make all of the servers update all of their users to IDs. Then, every single plugin that saves usernames would now have to change to IDs, and then, they have to give it some time so that all servers (even ones that weren't used for a while could update to the new system and get their ban, ops, whitelist, and other lists changed.

Depending on how secure they want it for people who already have servers, this could take anywhere from a week to half a year. I'm guessing they have some implementation of this in the 1.7 update, and that people will be able to update their names sometime after it has been released.
10/25/2013 7:07 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
Snowy_leopard
Everyone who has a minecraft account already has a UUID. The username will be changed in the DAT file for the player in a server and the UUID in there will be targeted for information. Part is actually in 1.7
10/25/2013 6:52 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Dragon
Alstar111
I feel name changing should be available but for a price, not the price of the game, but like maybe $10 to change your name kinda thing, so people could change their name without buying the game and having to start all over on servers.
10/25/2013 7:00 pm
Snowy_leopard
It will operate on the UUID from the actual account, not changing something radical. So no, there will be no charge and the servers will target a different part of the DAT file containing a person's information, which is where the UUID is stored. The only issue is converting it over without an issue which will be considerably easy.
10/25/2013 7:05 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Crafter
CanIHazBlog
Converting it will be easy, but unless everyone starts up their servers right then and there when they update, it will take time. Everyone has to start their server and let their server connect to the database to get the updates.
10/25/2013 7:10 pm
Snowy_leopard
The UUID is already stored by the server in the player.DAT file and all legit players already have one. Nothing would need to be updated, it would be included with the minecraft update itself.
10/25/2013 6:58 pm
Level 43 : Master Ninja
Darkflame2050
Then like no one would change it...
10/25/2013 6:51 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
Lol I dont see why anyone should even question it. There is NO way Mojang will be updating minecraft with something that will ruin it ex/ players on server changing there names to others. But they also will probably charge you for it. Profit is the main thought of them, and most people on Earth.
10/25/2013 6:57 pm
Snowy_leopard
1. It will not ruin it
2. You can not change your name to a name being used
3. They will not charge, it's only changing something displayed. The UUID is the major thing, displayed name is not.
10/25/2013 7:14 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
kogan007
Sorry if I wrote it in a way that was hard to understand. I meant that if they updated minecraft with a version of name change that ruined the game, then no one will continue to play minecraft. They would NOT do that. For your second one, as previously stated, possibly something similar to a used name. And 3rd of all, I just suggested that they should charge because it benefits them as a company. I'm only saying this because one of the questions on the poll was that it will not work.
10/25/2013 7:23 pm
Snowy_leopard
Ohhhh, yes, I misunderstood. And I still highly doubt they'll charge. It's basically the same as setting a nickname on a bukkit server
10/25/2013 6:39 pm
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
Aeternalis_
People don't seem to realize there could be an ID system.

Let's say my first minecraft name was username1999

I changed it to josh9139304

If players need to be banned, they could simply type /ban josh9139304, and it would simply do a lookup and ban the ID. Steam does this as well.
10/25/2013 6:43 pm
Snowy_leopard
Everyone who has minecraft legitly has a UUID, basically the same thing steam goes by
10/25/2013 6:33 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
zarusthegreat
I think its a bad idea people will just change their names to server mods or close to their names at will. Gonna make for a lot of confusion
10/25/2013 6:37 pm
Snowy_leopard
Names can not be exactly the same. And I hope server owners would know what their own mods are like.
10/25/2013 6:38 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
zarusthegreat
Yes but they can be very similar. And I would hope so too but other people playing on their servers might not.
10/25/2013 3:22 pm
Snowy_leopard
The way the rename would work is using the UUID of your mojang account. This effectively stops people getting minecraft cracked since cracked users use a name and not their email from their Mojang account. Also, 1.7.x servers do now recognise the UUID of players when they log in. I'm sure they'll find a way to have servers switch completely over to running on UUID without any issues. This should be out by the next major release, as well as maybe the plugin system for mods . Also, you would not be able to steal a name currently in use ie: ChimneySwift11, AntVenom, SethBling, Notch, CaptainSparklez and other let's players.
10/25/2013 6:47 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
DarkFadeLink
You also did a very good/detailed comment.
10/25/2013 6:49 pm
Snowy_leopard
Thank you
10/25/2013 3:19 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Artist
Canadian_Lion
Personally I think that it is a great opportunity for people who messed up their name and want to update it to something better and not to impersonate Notch, DInnerbone, Captain Sparkles, etc
10/25/2013 3:15 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Pixel Painter
John Buck
Trust me, I would LOVE to change my name, but unfortunately name changing would only result in hectic servers and confusion.
10/25/2013 2:56 pm
Level 26 : Expert Dragon
awesomeoneisawesome
attcely they will belive its the owner
10/25/2013 2:40 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Technomancer
Vital_D4N_
Good idea, and i agree the only servers that will get hurt by this are those with no brain staff. And payment is reasonable to avoid people changing their name constantly. Plus its probably quite a load on mojangs database servers if everyone changes their name for freee every few minutes they want to change it. So ye 1 free change and the rest you pay for.
10/25/2013 3:07 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
SoraSatoshi
I would be ok with one free name change per account. They could just keep the name system as it is, since I don't think they would let you change your name to Notch or some other name that is already taken.

My list of ideas for minecraft:
Click to reveal
Class system with customizable classes and skills
Customizable GUI Windows
more slabs and stairs
Ability to attach a lead to 2 fence posts(Decorative use)
more bosses
more redstone stuff
blocks that can be pushed/pulled by a player
a potion effect that inverts gravity
10/25/2013 2:35 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Narwhal
bethenna
What about bans? What about if a server owner changes their name, and a hacker changes their name to the server owner's old name? What then?
10/25/2013 2:40 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Wolf Whisperer
DeleteThisPleaseThan
No worries, minecraft will have everyone use a Random generated id,(similar to the steam system), the servers can retrieve that and ban that ID.
10/25/2013 2:32 pm
Level 1 : New Network
ChrisNethercott
Maybe they should ban the ip such as

/ban Notch = /banip 0.0.0.0:0
10/25/2013 1:39 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Programmer
bmanrules
To explain this to all the haters and "imposter" screamers

- Each account will get a UUID (Unique ID)

- Opping or Banning will ban/op the ID,and not the name

- The ID will never change.
10/25/2013 12:24 pm
awesomeoneisawesome
it should be free. come on people! paying for a name change?! COME ON. its a stinking name change. every website that has name changes are for FREE. zip zero nada. come on we need to make mojang make changing your name for FREE.
10/25/2013 12:27 pm
Level 44 : Master System
SkaalAnya
agreed, i payed account for it, all player who payed account gets free name change! nuff said.
10/25/2013 12:30 pm
awesomeoneisawesome
yeah they should make a system where non premium and cracked minecraft accounts have to pay while premium accounts dont, and if someones caught being a inposter they get a number name and are banned from the name changing system that cant be hacked to get unbanned.
10/25/2013 12:20 pm
Level 44 : Master System
SkaalAnya
i voted yes, because i wanna change my name, so that noone will notice who i am!

"dat hacker wanna take my ign cause i cant login...sigh"
10/25/2013 12:16 pm
quintoom
They are working on name changing. Yes.

And I also know what kind of system it will become.
At the moment all Minecraft accounts already have a specific number.
This number is only viewed by Mojangs login servers and is a code like this: MOJANG89786755646.
Now how it works. When you change your name, Mojang's system will change the files with your name in it to the preferred name.
Now, when you go online, your account notifies the server that the name has changed. And this makes the server change your old name in every file to the new one. This will make sure that no plugin will be messed up because of it. This happens really quick, so the ban list is also updated before you actually joined the server.
The payments aren't fully thought of. However Mojang said they wanted to give everyone the opportunity to change their name once for free. When needed a second time, it will cost a "symbolic price" of about 5 euros (about 4 pound/6 dollar I think).

So yeah, I am actually looking forward to this.

Wear the robe with pride,
~Light
10/25/2013 6:45 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Nerd
DarkFadeLink
Well said. This is a good comment you did.
10/26/2013 1:26 pm
quintoom
Thank you
10/25/2013 12:12 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Mage
XBlack_LeopardX
i think it would be nice if you have something about your name you wanted to change like mine is XBlack_LeopardX I want to remove the X at the front and back but i think they should at least use the id idea where each account has a id and when you get banned its the id so that even a name change wont work
10/25/2013 12:07 pm
awesomeoneisawesome
so, i guess you dont care if one morning you came online and curse craft was greifed because of the name changing system????
10/25/2013 12:05 pm
awesomeoneisawesome
but they would still ruin servers and get people op!
10/25/2013 12:35 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cake
eccsdee
You would have to be an idiot to OP someone because of their name. It will only ruin the servers of people who don't have a brain.
10/25/2013 4:25 pm
Level 48 : Master Answer
-Rusty
Le Revolutione!
10/25/2013 12:56 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Scribe
CScheer
In which case good riddance. The community could use a good culling of servers in my opinon...
10/25/2013 11:55 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Taco
nricker12
The name changing system will probably work like steam or something...
10/25/2013 11:52 am
awesomeoneisawesome
inposters.soon servers will give op to this fake notch thinking its the 'real" notch and boom all the servers will probley be destroyed the first day the name changing system comes out
10/26/2013 1:45 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Toast
Tr[U]sT
Actually. When notch joins a server even if it's his first time, he always has a yellow name. Like so: Notch. So yea. I wouldn't be fooled anyways. If I had a server and someone with a hack made their name say Notch. Well I have the yellow name clue, and even if it was the real notch, I wouldn't OP him. He is no more special than any of my other players. Hes still a human being, and deserves to be treated like one.
10/26/2013 2:40 pm
Level 29 : Expert Fisherman
Instant_ReplEH
Have you seen Docm's latest mindcrack video? Notch was on the server and his name wasn't gold, Urban Myth
11/02/2013 6:51 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Engineer
dsfdsfdsdsf
just because you see someone named notch doesn't mean it is ~_~
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome