Nearly every minecraft skin looks the same.

Dogpersonidiot's Avatar Dogpersonidiot12/4/17 8:02 pm history
12/9/2017 3:31 pm
Dogpersonidiot's Avatar Dogpersonidiot
I think nearly every minecraft skin looks the same. With their brand name jackets or edgy names. Does anyone else agree? They also usually are also based off anime or something else. I cant find anything original.
Dogpersonidiot
Level 11 : Journeyman Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/09/2017 3:25 pm
Dogpersonidiot
Ded Thread
12/05/2017 9:03 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Most of the skinners who made a point to not post teen skins or trendy stuff have moved on to the Marketplace or left skinning entirely (not that they posted much in the past 3 years anyways). 2012 - early 2015 was really the heyday for skinning.

I recommend going through the Subscriptions list of some of the higher-level skinners; most of them are subbed to each other, and a good portion of them don't sub to more than 50 people, so it's not too time-consuming until you find someone you really like.
12/05/2017 5:30 pm
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
12/06/2017 10:33 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
Wobble Fox
As restricted as the canvas is, it is still surprisingly allowing for variations. For every additional pixel made available, the possible number of skins goes up exponentially.

Although many of the number would essentially be repeats or indistinct in form, there are 3.06×1023,581 possible unique skins to be made with the current template. (Source)
12/05/2017 9:01 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
I agree with the original point of this thread, but I don't entirely agree with this.

Definitely true we have less space to work with, but it's similar to pixel art in that with less space, it's more of a challenge to find how to use that space effectively (it's not more of a challenge than painting in general, that ain't what I'm saying). Every medium has its own limitations and how you can work around those is what makes something unique; taterman88's skins are vastly abstract compared to 99.9% of every other skin on the site, for example - if I had to pin a certain person as the Picasso of the site, that's who I'd pick.
12/04/2017 11:36 pm
Level 84 : Elite Jarl
Aspirin60
In addition to a wealth remake skins, there are always original creations...That was and remains so, is fact.
12/04/2017 9:37 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Skinner
Wobble Fox
Having such a limited canvas is going to encourage many similar designs. There is almost a universal eye design and though others exist, they could be considered too stylised for most people. Perhaps the majority of clothing choices we see is a more complex version of the eye situation.

There is also the obvious element of following trends. Besides the idea of a latest trend, I think many designs have become a part of Minecraft skinning culture, regardless of how they originally popularised. Their association and popularity is seen by impressionable players/skin makers, and it is assumed that to make a skin means to recreate these stereotypes.

It is no surprise that the skilled are fewer than the unskilled, so any element of skin making that can be considered low quality will be larger in number. The skilled skin makers are the ones that will make new and interesting designs. They may even improve upon the common trends.

It is a common thing to search for your favourite creations among the masses of content on the site, but the alternative would be to exclude the 'bad skinners' from taking part. A task that none can fairly judge and would also reduce inclusiveness and innovation. I would say that this site has attracted a more skillful community than other similar sites though.
12/04/2017 10:21 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Vampire
Sunstroke
Really good points & I agree completely but it hurts me that there aren't any contractions in this whole thing.
12/09/2017 3:30 pm
Dogpersonidiot
I understand
12/04/2017 8:59 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
Then do something about it. Ranting about it here without actually doing anything to change the monotonous system won't revolutionize the skinning world. Try to make skins that look original but yet well-made, and people will like them. And before you ask, I'm only criticizing you constructively.
12/04/2017 8:58 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Dragonborn
Dovahkaal
I tend to make my own skins.
12/04/2017 8:52 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
If I had to guess, the current trends simply match the general minecraft population. Skin makers are catering to what works, and plainly, similarity is working pretty well at the moment.
12/04/2017 8:51 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Chirro
Gotta admit, though. Some of them are pretty neat. However, for the majority, I do agree. Not sure about you, but I tend to see a lot of generic "Creeper Boy" or "Gamer Girl" skins. It tends to be irritating at times, but, as I've said before, some skins are pretty cool.
12/04/2017 8:48 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Ninja
Wemnix
I actually made a lot of original skins. Check them out if you like, and I agree. I wish creators actually made original things. Many original things have been swept away in recolored skins or edits.
12/04/2017 8:27 pm
Sunstroke
Dude, this thread isn't even original. Why you complainin about originality for?
12/04/2017 9:20 pm
Level 41 : Master System
Devi The Panda
I'm dying of laughter over here!
12/04/2017 8:16 pm
Devi The Panda
I wouldn't look at what's on the skin's page, what I would do is find someone who has a good supply of favorited skins on their profile page. Originality on this site has more or less died and any of the good creators are left to fight in a wave of reprints or copies of other people's work.

Where you'd find anything original is creators who entered any of the recent skin contests and have made it to the top 100 or top 3.
12/04/2017 8:54 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
xXGothicXx
That was kind of rude, me and several people at least try to be creative, and all your doing is saying all the people left on here don't make good quality work.
12/09/2017 3:31 pm
Dogpersonidiot
I said Nearly every skin looks the same.
12/04/2017 10:50 pm
Sunstroke
I didn't get "rude" from this at all...I understood this as "find a skin creator you like and follow/support them + I personally enjoy non-teen skins and wish the creators of such skins got more recognition"

It's just someone expressing their opinion in a way that isn't really meant to hurt anyone's feelings or offend anyone at all.

It's not a lie that most of the skins posted in the last few years are teen skins and look pretty similar. I actually agree that people who make good non-teen skins don't get as much recognition as they probably deserve. A lot of people just like teen skins, no one can really change that.

Originality doesn't relate to quality.
Originality is more related to quantity.
You can make a gorgeous skin, but that doesn't make it original. Take reshades, for example.

It's all subjective though, so try not to let it offend you! What's good to this guy/gal probably isn't gonna add up to what you think is good, y'know?

Also. Why did I make this so long.
12/04/2017 9:10 pm
Devi The Panda
xXGothicXx, you are saying that my comment is rude meanwhile you placed yourself as a "unoriginal" creator.

When I said "originality on this site has more or less died" I said that the majority of the skin creators are unoriginal. I didn't say "all the people left on here don't make good quality work."
I'm saying that those who ARE creative and ARE trying are left in the shadows of other less original edits/copies/remakes.
12/04/2017 9:22 pm
Level 26 : Expert Geek
xXGothicXx
how is placing myself as "unoriginal" rude? Also i didn't i was saying you are saying people like me, and my skin making friends are unoriginal, because from what you said it very much looked like you were saying that.
12/04/2017 11:46 pm
Devi The Panda
... I will never understand where you are getting the idea that I am even pointing at you and your friends specifically rather than a majority of people. If you believe I am pointing fingers at you and your friends, you are literally calling yourself something that you are against being called.

The majority AGAIN is the people who are shown on the front pages of the skin's latest posts and recently updated. The skins that have no changes in them what-so-ever are the ones that I am speaking of and if you think I am pointing at you, than you believe you have no differences in your skins.

I am sorry for being mean in this post but it is literally confusing me as to where you believe I am being rude or pointing fingers at you or your friends as I do not know you or any of them. Now please, leave my opinion at that... an Opinion. thank you.
12/04/2017 8:10 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
DBB_Offical_Maps
tru.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome