I need some proper server criticism.

[TNZ] Griff's Avatar [TNZ] Griff12/10/14 7:35 pm
12/12/2014 4:13 am
NetworkPCE's Avatar NetworkPCE
I currently own a Hub server called TerraNZ, that features many different types of Minigames and Gamemodes. It doesn't get many players, about 7 maximum a day. Most new players leave after jumping into the void below the hub. I am looking for some serious criticism from the player's perspective.

Can we please get some things straight:
- I'm not looking for staff. Don't ask.
- If you're going to post your opinions, please at least try and elaborate on your opinions and give some way I can improve.
- Don't spare my feelings. I'm looking for criticism. I'm not looking for people telling me it's good enough.

That's about it. IP: mc.terranz.net

Plus: Sorry if I got this in the wrong thread. I'm not quite sure where else to put it.

Pics, note that some may be slightly outdated.

[TNZ] Griff
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/12/2014 4:13 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
With such a small playerbase you can't keep up a hub, what i mean is that you should disable hub and keep to 1 game-mode until your playerbase is on growth again.
12/12/2014 3:38 am
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
Drazieth
[TNZ] GriffFor all of you saying 'Hurr durr unique hurr durr'. I can't afford custom plugins and mods

That is in no way anyone else's fault but yours, we are just telling you what it needs, not what you have to add, you wanted proper opinions and the proper opinions that the server is just like thousands of others out there, but with a small player base making it basic and un-enjoyable.

-Edit, if your server is based in NZ then it won't grow to a large audience, if its going to lag for people outside your area then JUST aim it at the people in your area, you cant run a server and tell people to put up with the lag just because of where they live.
12/12/2014 3:31 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
NikoGames
12/12/2014 2:10 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
VideoGame-BlackBelt
Almost perfect server actually in my opinion I rate it a 9 1 / 2. Only because you need a compass plugin. I know. I know. You have /worlds but to fill in that one crack you need to add a compass for more convenience. I guess it isn't necessary but it would fill in the crack. Good job! Edit: Also advertise your server (legally), add a plugin so the death message doesn't show, and add a plugin so that when you fall in the void you don't die and get teleported instead.
12/12/2014 1:49 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Architect
Chowee
12/12/2014 1:39 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
oolliiee123
Alright, I just started playing the server. Pretty good, only problem is the player base. I'll edit this later when I've checked out more because it is a little boring playing by myself.
12/11/2014 11:23 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
[TNZ] GriffFor all of you saying 'Hurr durr unique hurr durr'. I can't afford custom plugins and mods and I in no way know how to code. I have ideas for the server that I can't accomplish without custom plugins. Maybe tell me how to make it more unique?

The thing with being unique is.. we can't really tell you.
It's not that we don't want to, but the uniqueness has to come from you.
12/11/2014 7:43 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
Treyvaderxio
omg it sux. Jk

Good server
12/11/2014 6:58 am
Level 46 : Master Pixel Painter
LetsPlay2D
[TNZ] GriffFor all of you saying 'Hurr durr unique hurr durr'. I can't afford custom plugins and mods and I in no way know how to code. I have ideas for the server that I can't accomplish without custom plugins. Maybe tell me how to make it more unique? For those that say this server has a weak playerbase, this is literally why I'm asking for your opinions. If you're saying the server lags, make sure you live near New Zealand first before making complaints. I've so far found no trustworthy people that can build an epic spawn for me, and I'm incapable of doing it myself because I suck at building in Minecraft.

Other than that, thanks for your opinions.

12/11/2014 6:27 am
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
MaxBFalcon
I just want to let you know that I owned a small server before, and I am currently staff on a nice sized network. So I have experience in server related things.

Incoming rant, as I am taking what you said seriously and disregarding your feelings. ;P

I logged in, was met by bright green and dark blue, and was not very amused. The random green and blue is not very good looking for a floating island spawn. You have all these neat rustic/medieval colors, and then BOOM. Green and blue in my face.

Gross. If anything, change that color scheme, you do not want people leaving because of that.

I see you have gamemodes. Skyblock, Vanilla, Creative Plots, Factions, and Build.

Boooring. I see all these gamemodes on bigger and better servers. And although lots of players like playing these gamemodes, you need something unique, or you will lose all these players to servers who have a better version of these gamemodes.

Ooooo minigames. Parkour, Spleef, Kit PVP, Mob Arena, Survival games.

Once again, "nothing new here, just another copy of a larger network." ... You do not want players thinking like that. Get some new minigames. Bukkit is full of fun and out of the way minigames that you have to click through 50 pages to find.

You need to give a reason for players to stay on your network. Right now, there are 0 reasons that I can think of.

In order to even start a server, you need to have every last detail planned out. You need a reliable advertising plan, and you need to think about what can make you unique. When I started my server, I was no better than you are now. But I was able to get it to a point where my little server supported at least 40 people on all day everyday. And I did not have a network.

Unless you are a minecraft server expert with a ton of good connections and a large wallet, it is a very very bad idea to start a network right off.

Take some advice, start small, and build up. It could take a while, but if you start big and expect things to go great right off, you are dead wrong. 80% of the time you will fail. But that is how you learn, by failing. I failed so much during the first three months of my server it was not even funny. I didn't plan anything before I started my server, so I had it really really rough. But I gradually got the hang of things, and finally ironed it all out.

Creating a thriving and happy Minecraft community takes time,and a huge amount of work. It is not something you can do by buying a few dedicated servers, slapping a few worlds and plugins together, and saying: "hey join my new network that will amaze you!" (unless you are some huge youtube celeb *u*)

Take a step back. Look at your network, and start thinking about what you can do to make it worthwhile for a player like me. You have a lot of potential, you just need to point it in the right direction.

(rant is over, I hope I didn't seem like a horrible ogre ;P)
12/11/2014 1:08 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Taco
MC_Knuti
Add me on skype i can help tututu1751
12/11/2014 12:57 am
[TNZ] Griff
For all of you saying 'Hurr durr unique hurr durr'. I can't afford custom plugins and mods and I in no way know how to code. I have ideas for the server that I can't accomplish without custom plugins. Maybe tell me how to make it more unique? For those that say this server has a weak playerbase, this is literally why I'm asking for your opinions. If you're saying the server lags, make sure you live near New Zealand first before making complaints. I've so far found no trustworthy people that can build an epic spawn for me, and I'm incapable of doing it myself because I suck at building in Minecraft.

Other than that, thanks for your opinions.
12/10/2014 9:56 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pokemon
Technoman1130
Okay...Here comes the review: (Please don't take offense...this is an honest opinion)
1. A weak player-base. Maybe you should advertise a little more? There were 2 other people that immediately left when I joined...
2. Not unique. It honestly seems no different from any other of the hub servers I've been to.
3. Some lag. Not unbearable lag, just some occasionally happenign lag spikes.

Please don't be mad...this was an honest opinion..
12/10/2014 9:50 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
sippiboy
I agree that this is not unique, but if you want to continue i would suggest improving your the builds drastically, if you want to compete with some other fairly large servers. Also the skyblock island could be better, make the island unique not just a regular island with a tree add a small pond, maybe a few ores and some flowers and tiny hills

I Have NOT Played, this is based on the screenshots
12/10/2014 9:50 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pokemon
Technoman1130
I'll check it out
12/10/2014 9:00 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
Roseora
It looks awsome, but it needs something that makes it stand out from every other server, as other people have said. Maybe build some really cool art/statues? The best Ive seen was a server had huge dragon statues around spawn.

And yep, custm plugins and mods that are fun/useful, like some extra stuff while people are in the hub area. Some servers you can get pets or music, or 'stack' other players.

The parkour looks good, but also like it would be really, really frustrating to keep falling into the void.

I might think of more when I actually play on the server.
12/10/2014 8:36 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
FairlyOddTarots
I literally just joined, but I think its good.
12/10/2014 8:08 pm
Level 41 : Master Network
Mortifer
The main problem is the server is that it is not unique, people would rather play on a professional coded server with a big player base than a small server. Hubs are not a good type of server to run if you are just starting.
12/10/2014 7:52 pm
[TNZ] Griff
I will post some pictures of the server in the OP.
12/10/2014 7:40 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
My personal oppinion (before playing on the server):
It sounds like many other servers out there. It's not unique, other than the name.
It's hard to tell about how you can improve, because improving (imo) would require a unique server.
I haven't played on your server yet (current computer is bad), but when I can, I will try it, and see what else I can find that needs improvement.
Hope that helps.
12/10/2014 7:47 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
funny bunny
I completely agree. You should add some pictures of the spawn and other places so we can take a look. We also should know what type of server it is.
12/10/2014 7:40 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
Roseora
Cant get on minecraft for a day or two could you post some pics and Ill give you some critisism about it?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome