Plugin | Custom Minigame

MCVanillaOfficial's Avatar MCVanillaOfficial5/28/17 3:54 am
1 emeralds 547 5
5/29/2017 10:29 am
Scott's Avatar Scott
Greetings earthlings!

I started to learn Java recently, so I decided to start coding a minigame, but I still lack some spigot plugin skills. Is there anyone here who is able to help me make my project come to life?

I have a complete detailed plan of the minigame and already started the code for the system to check and sort players to teams.

Let me know what you think about it, and if you're up for help!

Plan: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=34B2873848164B5!116641&ithint=file%2cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!ALDJktSqZbpbMPA

MCVanillaOfficial
Level 9 : Apprentice Goblin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/29/2017 10:29 am
Level 40 : Master Droid
Scott
Welcome to plugin development!

I am also a Java developer, and I have been making minigames for about 3 years now.
There's a few things first you need to go over:-
1) Make sure to be making it as object-oriantated as possible, trying to refrain from using static methods, and store data within a centralised User object.
2) Make sure to cache lots of data! This is VITAL for optimisation, as you need to make sure you are not doing things such as HTTP/SQL requests very often!
3) Make sure to code it generally well and leave commments. If you ever have other developers helping you, it is important that you can understand each others code (I've learnt this the hard way).
4) Make sure you understand well the Spigot API first. Making minigames involves using most of the API, instead of focusing on one single part. General good Java knowledge will help you here as well.

So in conclusion;
- Use objects
- Cache data
- Make it readable and well presented.

I will be happy to help you code it and help push you in the right direction, be sure to send me a PM!
05/29/2017 4:56 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Goblin
MCVanillaOfficial
Thanks for all the comments! I am still learning, but I really want to push this project as quickly as possible!
05/28/2017 1:47 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
I wanna try this out :3
05/28/2017 12:09 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Programmer
NJDaeger
I'm not particularly interested in helping you make this plugin, but there are several places better than planetminecraft to look for help.

The Spigot Forums: https://www.spigotmc.org/

A Plugin Development Discord: https://discord.gg/ceXA6xG

Making a minigame is a huge task and it's easily screwed up. I would really recommend doing what jely2002 said and start out with a more simple plugin to get yourself familiar with Java and the Spigot API.
05/28/2017 11:45 am
Level 43 : Master Engineer
jely2002
Hi _Raffy,

As described in your Onedrive document, this seems like a very big project. When I started to learn Java I started with simple plugins like: Anti-Grief plugins or other simple utilities.

So I recommend you do this before you start creating bigger plugins, doing this will help you gain some more experience because that will be needed in bigger projects.

How do I know this? Well, I began learning Java a couple years ago. While I was learning I found out that you could better start with a bit easier projects.

Hope my advice comes in handy!
Jely2002
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome