[Poll] Would you be interested in a redstone tutorial blog?

ShelLuser's Avatar ShelLuser1/22/18 4:16 pm
3 emeralds 263 3
2/14/2018 5:42 am
EmpathyHeals's Avatar EmpathyHeals
Hi gang!

I've been active on Planet Minecraft for a while already and even started sharing some blogs. Normally it's (somewhat) easy: I come up with a topic, explore that and write it all up. So far, so good.

Thing is that I'm quite passionate about redstone (and the redstone components), I love that game mechanic. And just when you thought things could get dull Mojang suddenly added the Observer block :) So I'm toying with the idea to write up a blog. I already discovered that you can create collections, so I should be able to write several blogs and combine them in a "tutorial collection". So far, so good.

Normally I don't really care about general opinion because I do what I do to have fun. But with this particular topic I want to go all out, so it would be nice to know how you guys think about "yet another tutorial". I don't expect massive amounts of feedback, but: you don't know until you try. About time I started a thread of my own anyway :)

I'm playing with the idea to set up a dedicated single player world in which I build the several (not too extensive) examples which I'll use in the blog post. The single player world can probably be shared as a project (I need to investigate this first) so that you can even try out the examples from within the comforts of your own home err: Minecraft game :)

So yeah, any opinions, comments, suggestions, dislikes?

And thanks in advance for your vote!

Poll ended 02/05/2018 4:16 pm.

ShelLuser
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/14/2018 5:42 amhistory
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
An emphatic yes from me, though a bit late for the poll! You not only know your stuff but you explain it clearly and with a great attitude. You're patient and thorough and not intimidating, and your genuine enjoyment of the topic is apparent. I was hoping you would consider something like this, and I am glad to see you're already planning it. I might actually learn many more useful things from you, since I not only like what you're teaching, but I'm a fan of how you teach it too. I'm really excited to see where this goes and I hope you stick with it!

Also, let me know if there is any way that I can help. I am willing to help whether it's by editing or even being a test subject. I can also help record video clips. Let me know, just don't ask for money :).
01/22/2018 5:52 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Prowl33
Hey, long time gamer, but minecraft noob here. I'm definitely your target audience, as I'm a beginner that's trying to learn all the complexity that is redstone. I've watched dozens of YouTube videos and seen dozens of tutorials and blogs over the last week or so.

I say go for it first of all, there's no such thing as too many resources out there. That being said... some advice as most blogs I've seen are much harder to follow than a video.

1) Write a solid summary telling what the contraption is, and why it is useful to the player (not just what it does, but why do I need it)
2) short summary of the steps you're about to detail so I learn what a particular part of the build actually does
3) Good screen shots! It doesn't necessarily have to be block by block, but a clear picture showing everything done in that step, with a detailed description explaining that screen shot.

Do those things and you should be golden.
01/24/2018 5:38 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Engineer
ShelLuser
Thanks for your comment!

Yah, I have some experience with writing ;) You can already see a few examples in my "PMC portfolio", it's basically the format I'm a little worried about.

But so far so good. I already learned that abide the PMC rules (which look very reasonable to me) you can't really make a collection of posts but should condense it into one blog entry. But given the fact that it also provides an excellent update feature (update log) that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

We'll see what happens next, but so far so good.

(and also thanks to everyone else for your honest votes, I even appreciate the 'nay' votes btw!).
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome