Should minecraft servers be free?

ThisIsMystic's Avatar ThisIsMystic9/16/16 10:25 pm
9/25/2016 9:48 am
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
Hello!,

EDIT: I no longer need to even bother with this topic, Im not server hosting
I recently made a post about Reliable Minecraft Server Hosting (Free Hosting), and after somebody pointed out that you would have to pay for servers (not what he/she said, just summed it to the point) but I personally think minecraft servers should be free, I feel it is unfair to some degree to people who would love to host a server, but they cost like freaking $500 year, now that's a lot of money. Now lets rewind a bit, to the era of minecraft servers only being accessed by downloading a server file, which was Notch's vision, But his vision went WAY down hill when server hosting became a thing and it was all pay to win if you know what I mean. But I think that was the worst thing that happened because poor people (not exactly poor, but the people who just cant afford server hosting) and other people in general had to PAY to even host a server, and now A LOT of free server hosting is a scam or is bad free service since about ~60-70% of people want hosting FREE.

Please give me your opinion on this:
http://www.strawpoll.me/11240152
ThisIsMystic
Level 45 : Master Answer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/25/2016 9:48 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Smooth_Ali think it should at least be cheaper to get a good hosting service

Shopping around aside...

Home host it and see the pricing there.
09/25/2016 7:04 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
The question is not if they should be free, it's if they can be. As most other people here have mentioned, nothing really is free. You still need money to pay for servers, so unless your super rich and generous you can't just give out free servers.

What I really think is the problem is that you need to have a certain amount of money to start with. If you don't have that, you can't start a new server. But if you could for example get a server for free the first month and build it up you'll eventually get donations that can make it possible for you to pay for the servers in the end even though you started with nothing. Of course this has big risks though, because not all server owners will care about donations and then a lot of money might end up getting wasted, which is probably why most hosting services (if not all) don't have it this way.

I'm working on a project though that can hopefully balance the money in a certain way that will allow you to start from nothing and grow big. Because of the risks you'll start with very little RAM the first week(s), but you can build it up from there and if necessary submit an application to start with more RAM. I hope this will help new server owners who start from nothing to grow big
09/25/2016 6:23 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
Smooth_Al
i pay $15 per month for my server and its not even working at the moment and they dont know why! i think it should at least be cheaper to get a good hosting service
09/25/2016 4:19 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
sirbleep
Firstly, there are free server hosting websites... I've found 3 in 5 minutes one of which I have used in the past...

No, because they'd either be full of ads and very laggy. Or, companies will be charging you a lot simple things, like world size, more than 2-4 slots, etc.

Just man up and pay for a cheap server or make your own.

Here's the thing I don't think you understand:

People don't like having to make and run their own servers continuously, so a company will come along and say "pay us to take away a lot of that hassle". People pay them, and they run their servers for them. The reason why it costs money for this process to happen is so that the company can firstly; make a profit (IMPORTANT IN THE REAL WORLD!!) and secondly; the company can actually pay for the systems needed to keep the servers functional.

TL;DR

"Notch's vision" hasn't been ruined, you're just delusional. Making a server isn't the gameplay issue you're making it out to be. People need to make money and servers have become an industry, not just in Minecraft.
09/25/2016 3:56 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Architect
TotallyNotMe
The point is, you want a sensible person running a server. If servers were free you'd get 14 year olds just ruining Minecraft. They keep it paid for a reason, and it's to use their resources. I've come across servers that have been run on free hosts, and they are awful. Run by 13 year olds, who know nothing about plugins or commands, and then they go and hire staff that are 10 but claim to be 17.

No, MC hosts should not be free. At all.
09/25/2016 2:05 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
If you're home-hosting, it's free (to an extent, depends on whether you're paying for internet or your parents are).

But if you aren't, they should not be free. The companies pay to maintain their servers so others can use it. If they're not getting anything out of it, then why do it? I mean, it's just basic economics. Tons of demanders want servers, so more and more people go in as the suppliers trying to make money.

If you don't understand, then think of why you're trying to make a server. It's definitely not just for a fun place for people to play; it's for money. That's all people make servers for: Money.
09/25/2016 12:13 am
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
i think the main thing we have to remember is that no one is going to give out free stuff without expecting something in return. Even food stamps are actually paid for by taxes and the government, its just free for the people who use them. So someone would have to pay for everyones hosting because the host is not going to give it out free. Do you expect notch to pay for all our server hosting or something?
09/24/2016 6:07 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
How could they be free? It would be a constant output of money for the host, and they wouldn't be receiving anything for it.
09/24/2016 5:53 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Puan
This post gave me AIDS
09/19/2016 4:42 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
brostermedia
don't expect a host to offer something for free if they need money to keep the servers up
09/18/2016 11:07 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
Nothing is free, especially hosting. No ones just gonna buy a few terabytes worth of storage and say, hey all you minecrafters, have a free server. It costs money to have data storage place, and who would you expect to pay for it if we are supposed to get it free, you have to get the money somehow.
09/17/2016 9:35 am
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
Host your own server in your own home.

Oh wait..

That is not free, the electricity bill for 24/7 probably higher than say.. renting one in bisecthosting (cheap and reliable, I use it).

So well, seeing that eletric bill should probably answer your question 'why it cant be free'.
09/17/2016 9:30 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
09/17/2016 12:50 am
Level 41 : Master Network
Mortifer
if you don't want to pay, you can still host your own server. Provided you have the right hardware. If you want someone to do it for you, you will have to pay.
09/17/2016 12:41 am
raidarr
As the topic has been shifted, I shall direct my arguments to the new conversation...

The first big problem, as mentioned by Azie, is that someone's gotta host the server. Somebody is using energy, processing power, and time to keep the server going. At least in the US, inflation isn't exactly helping these things become more manageable. People have enough on their plates without freely sustaining other people's servers, especially high-intensity ones. If it is you hosting the server, be prepared to spend the money to get the hardware to do what you want. Either way, there's money being transferred - hosting sites charge because they wouldn't exist giving good servers for free. The limited free servers they can throw out are on the edge of financial surplus. Should a host be forced to pay for a concept they may or may not like because you had an idea? I don't think so, the responsibility is still there to provide financial incentive.

It is simple human nature to want things for free, but it is completely impractical to expect it. It might look free to you as the person taking the resources without the cost (or perhaps not if you're the hoster), but in the background the above variables are still in play, resources are still being used, and money is still floating through the system.

Like it or not, money does help keep some semblance of quality. If anyone with an idea, regardless of execution, was allowed to host a server with plentiful resources, I suspect the current issue of servers that are functionally the same as one another would be worse. I'll use game development as an example - everyone's got ideas for a game, but unless they want to back it themselves (which most people who have ideas for games can't do) they need to pay for it. If they can't put their money where their mouth is, it isn't going to happen.

Is it a perfect system? I don't think so, but I think if you're going to host a server, take up resources, spend time, then you should be responsible for maintaining its existence.

You could always be your own host and make your own rules. Then you will most certainly learn that a good host and a good server isn't free... 24/7... the dedicated computer... the IP, a website... money goes into all those things.

Free isn't free. It's just the same price that is being shouldered more by somebody else.

xDamianWangShortage definetly isn't the problem, but sometimes you just want a server for you, not something somebody else made, sometimes you just have your own idea and aren't going to spend $25 a month to do so.

"Put your money where your mouth is" - if you don't want to sustain it yourself, why would you expect someone else to do it for you for free?
09/17/2016 12:31 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Princess
TheOutsiderNetwork
bisecthosting.com

^ Not free but definitely cheaper than most hosting sites.
09/24/2016 5:22 pm
Level 45 : Master Answer
ThisIsMystic
WOW! that is surprisingly cheap for server hosting, I picked like all the highest qualitys and its still cheaper than $40 a month!
09/17/2016 12:07 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
It's nice when people offer free stuff, but I certainly don't think they should be free. Running hardware has costs. Purchasing hosting didn't suddenly sprout up when Minecraft servers became common.

It's our job as consumers to shop smart. Shop around, buy generic if you don't want to pay a rediculous price... When you buy "Minecraft hosting" you pay more because companies know their customers are typically people who don't have backgrounds in the field the company works in. They can get away with charging more and they know it.

As far as just wanting a server for you, you don't need to spend a bunch of money to do that. Setting one up for yourself isn't hard to do at all. If you don't have the internet speed to host one reliable enough for a few friends to connect to, you're left with "pay more for better internet" or "pay a little bit for hosting". This stuff isn't free. There are costs and businesses need to make money.
09/16/2016 10:32 pm
raidarr
It is unreasonable to expect a server host that is good for free. Servers take time and money, and without investment of both, you shouldn't have a server.

The only ways to get yourself a good server are having the right connections, convincing the right people to back you (easier said than done), or doing what good servers do, spending money.

If you don't want to spend money on a server, simply don't host one. Trust me, it's not like the community has a shortage.
09/16/2016 11:04 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Explorer
xDamianWang
Shortage definetly isn't the problem, but sometimes you just want a server for you, not something somebody else made, sometimes you just have your own idea and aren't going to spend $25 a month to do so.
09/16/2016 11:20 pm
raidarr
Sometimes people simply are unable to make servers for themselves, in which case it's a matter of the first two options or nothing. Not everyone can execute their ideas, and many ideas simply will never occur without financial backing, no matter how much the person coming up with the idea thinks it's good or should be done.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome