Forumskeyboard_arrow_right Minecraft - Java Edition keyboard_arrow_right Discussion

Create Forum Thread

Seriously MOJANG, this is not good.

26 emeralds55 replies953 views
created 10/01/2019 1:08 pm by Dynamisticality
last reply 10/15/2019 12:35 pm
Hey guys, here's a bit of discussion. Don't you think it's absurd that Mojang/Microsoft will create 2 new videogames (Minecraft Earth, and Minecraft Dungeons) but they can't fix the MAJOR PERFORMANCE ISSUES that come from 1.13 - 1.14 when using a server, or just a normal computer in general, I mean servers are unplayable even if they are good or not at that and one of the main reasons is that the new villager pathfinding ai is WAY TOO CPU INTENSIVE and newer version servers are struggling to run, all the while they work on a new minecraft game.

This is stupid since this has been an issue for quite a few months now and they are aware of the problem but they aren't fixing it.

And shockingly, normal servers will lag like crazy but realms won't (Minecraft's own server hosting) and if they have found a fix and are using it on realms then why aren't they giving us server owners access to it.

Yes there are ways around it such as making the server 1.12 which is stable and then using version plugins to allow newer versions, but then that gets rid of the oceans and new stuff in the latest updates, which is quite bad for survival servers especially.

I mean I have a server but when it ran 1.12 i had around 12 players playing and I had 19.98 TPS, then when I switched over to 1.14, 4 people were playing and it was at 5 TPS basically rendering the server unplayable, it also lagged out a lot of players & crashed a lot.

I'm posting this to explain some frustration and bring some light to the topic, I just think it's a bit insane that they will spend time on other things than fix a major bug issue and they already fixed it, but won't allow us to use it unless we pay them for a realm, which in fact can't really run as a server with plugins.
Posted by avatar
Dynamisticality
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect

comment Login or register to post a reply.

55 replies

10/15/2019 12:35 pm
Level 47 : Master Dragon
Hashs
Having owned a 1.14.4 server I have never encountered these issues.
10/10/2019 4:06 pmhistory
Level 4 : Apprentice Artist
Minecraftian8887
1.15 is literally going to be the optimization/bug fix update, mojang themselves said that, they just added the bees and stuff so that the common player had new stuff to play with without having to get into technical stuff.
10/10/2019 4:12 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Loremaster
Makaneek
perhaps you should have done a bit more research. 1.15 will be a huge bug fix update
10/11/2019 2:16 am
Level 1 : New Miner
crystalwizard
I can see you're frustrated but I don't have the lag issues you do. so no, i don't think it's absurd that they are releasing new games.
10/10/2019 10:58 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
God_Oh_War
Dont be such a drama queen
10/10/2019 4:52 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Aaaaa2
Yeah i agree its super annoying, but im sure 1.15 will fix it. It IS a bug fix update (with bees crammed in with the bugs.)
10/05/2019 3:04 pm
Level 20 : Expert Dolphin
pale1
I think this you are being a bit dramatic but yes, I agree. Server's that run in 1.13 and 1.14 have very noticeable performance issues. Plenty of multiplayer server gamemodes depend on servers running smoothly. It's a real shame because there are so many features in 1.13 and 1.14 that would be amazing for building, combat, and more but they just can't be used reliably. They absolutely need to fix if they want the game to stay as popular as it is.
10/05/2019 2:58 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Mage
kevincookiee
i do not agree at all
10/03/2019 4:03 pmhistory
Level 18 : Journeyman Cake
EndPlayz
Well... The next update, 1.15 is the bees and bugs update.
Bees as in, well, bees
Bugs as in computerbugs, and yes, this does mean 1.15 will be a performance update.

So in general, they are fixing bugs and things like, as you said, very slow servers.
I kinda don't see your point here
10/03/2019 6:07 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Architect
Dynamisticality
Well we can hope :)
10/03/2019 4:45 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
apexpyramid
Yea it's pretty bad, the worst part is the chunk loading and saving. It's insanity.
10/03/2019 6:06 pm
Dynamisticality
I know lol I hope 1.15 fixes it
10/03/2019 4:23 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
MrManiac3
Off topic, but isn't a singleplayer world (without being open to LAN) run on an internal server?
10/03/2019 6:06 pm
Dynamisticality
I'm not sure. I haven't really researched how lan servers work I thought they just kinda joined together since they are on the same network
10/15/2019 11:51 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
MrManiac3
I guess since it's a Java program it's run on JVM
10/02/2019 10:01 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
Updating a 10 year old game doesn't make much money. Making 2 brand new games does.
10/03/2019 3:54 pm
Dynamisticality
Exactly, updating the game won't increase sales, but creating new games will allow existing customers to send them even more money.
10/03/2019 6:14 am
Level 43 : Master Engineer
ShelLuser
The problem is not the server code perse, it's server owners who expect the same performance and rely on the same (now outdated) methods to reduce lag. And the result are lagging servers.

Or to put this more simple: the time where getting rid of all Items (entities which lie on the floor) would also reduce most of the lag are far behind us. But guess what? Most anti-lag mods still have this feature prominently displayed because.... Instead they could use dynamic viewing ranges, small changes to mod behavior, controlled light updates (try to paste a 10x10 lap of dirt in the sky and you'll know what I mean), stuff like that.

Note: I'm not saying it's all to blame on 'others', of course the code could use optimization too. But I do believe it's hardly as bad as you make it sound. I run 1.14 on an older server with up to 6 - 10 players and don't get any lag. And I even use stuff like CoreProtect and GriefPrevention.
10/03/2019 3:57 pm
Dynamisticality
While some can be said is true, it is a known fact that mojang/microsoft can definetely increase the performance especially with the new villagers etc. And to be fair, we can't really expect the same performance but it's still risen a lot. Maybe it's because I have had a bad experience with a host or maybe it is true, but I do feel more could be done on the game creators part with specifically performance things.
10/02/2019 1:27 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
You gotta look at this situation from the eyes of a multi-billionaire company. There is much more hype over Dungeons & Earth than there is over the optimization issues in Java. So, naturally, they will focus on what will bring them more money.
10/03/2019 3:59 pm
Dynamisticality
That is true, however it's a mystery that realm servers can perform surprisingly better than regular servers.
10/04/2019 1:10 amhistory
Level 8 : Apprentice Toast
Laurent_Conlon
No surprise to me, it's natural. I would rather take care of my own rather than look after others.
10/02/2019 9:11 pm
Level 23 : Expert Engineer
FrenchBagel
There are other people hired to take care of the new Minecraft games. Jeb will occasionally chip in, but for the most part, sticks to Java. Java will STILL get the same amount of updates as it would without these games.

I get you are frustrated over the performance issues. Mojang is actively working on it. A debilitating issue with the game will definitely not get ignored.
10/03/2019 4:00 pm
Dynamisticality
I totally agree with this too, however that doesn't explain for realms, and if they have found a workaround for realms, why don't they apply it to multiplayer in general?
10/02/2019 11:17 amhistory
Level 34 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Sir_Craftypants
Java will always be a little behind, even on the Mod side, many of the greatest Mods are still stuck on 1.7 or 1.12. With Java it's a patience game. Mojang are currently prioritising their projects, eventually they will get around to fixing the issues, or someone not of Mojang may figure it out and come up with a quick fix. This has always been the way of Java Minecraft from what I understand.
10/03/2019 3:59 pm
Dynamisticality
I totally agree, however they are a large company and hire separate teams for the different games and aspects of each and every game's design.
10/02/2019 1:32 amhistory
Level 18 : Journeyman Fish
Fang28
I own/run a small network. Minecraft 1.14 entity tracking is the primary cause of 1.14.4 lag. Chunk loading is terrible as well, but there are alternative jar files such as paper that can fix all problems but the entities. And even with everything else optimized, it's still terrible. And I have yet to see any entity-related optimizations in any of the 1.15 snapshots; they seem to have a greater focus on rewriting the graphics engine. With any luck they will shift focus to cpu performance once they're done with graphical. But I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: If problems persist I will not be able to expand my network, at which point I will likely run future servers on 1.12.2 viaversion. I really really don't want to do that, but it's a last-ditch option if they fail us a third time in a row.
10/03/2019 4:02 pm
Dynamisticality
Well, I'd hope so too and let's just take their word for it right now. I totally agree running 1.12 on viaversion since there are really fun and important updates to the newer versions that you just don't get on the older ones. If it's a server for just your friends IRL, you can host a LAN server.
10/04/2019 12:15 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Fish
Fang28
It wouldn't be an issue if it were just a personal server but it's a fully public network of 6 servers, averaging 1000 unique players per month lol. I consider it a miracle that most of the servers run at 20 tps usually, but I had to implement a lot of changes and optimizations to make that work. I also keep view distance up at 8. Any lower than that I feel is annoying to play
10/01/2019 2:56 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Button Pusher
Aspirin60
Is any time the same problem; fix bugs is just work ,not interesting and give no money, make news games is more funny and give money!That's it! (c:
10/03/2019 4:07 pm
Dynamisticality
Exactly.
10/01/2019 5:44 pm
Dynamisticality
Well, I don't really know about money but I think its their time management, they are making all these new games and hyping it up so that their main title gets more attraction to other people, but yeah.
10/01/2019 1:16 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Architect
bobtart12
it's not even about it being CPU heavy it's about how poor it uses the CPU. I see core number 6 pinned to 100% utilization when all my other cores are hovering in the low teens. It causes stuttering and overall jank when in reality my CPU should easily be able to overpower minecraft. I find the only solution is to just overclock the CPU as far as possible to get that individual core to push as much out as possible. But i'm at 5.1ghz on my 8700k so I can't go any further with it.
10/02/2019 1:09 am
Level 39 : Artisan Zombie
EmpathyHeals
i've had the exact experience over the past few months. even upgraded my pc and specs should be overkill but mc brings it down to its knees. players are leaving in frustration because of the lag and we're in beta trying to prepare for launch. my poor PC is making the kind of noises i never heard it make before. tps is all over the place especially if one two players have a few villagers. here's quite the artistic gem from earlier today. this was fun to troubleshoot. not. i don't know what to do, we are with the same the server we retired was hosted at and we didn't have this much lag and people getting randomly kicked when we had ten times the players online and four maps double than the size of the one map we have now. it's quite aggravating. thanks for your post, at least the validation was comforting.timings
10/03/2019 4:03 pm
Dynamisticality
Exactly, and I'm not sure if this is true or not, but from what i've heard, 1.13's ocean update and all of the ocean plants/blocks are causing chunks to be more storage consuming too, and if you have players travelling thousands of blocks, or a wilderness tp plugin it can be a problem. Even if the ocean thing isn't true.
10/01/2019 5:43 pm
Dynamisticality
I know, It can't really evenly spread itself across all of your cores I do hope 1.15 will fix the issues like they say they will.
10/01/2019 6:40 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Architect
bobtart12
"can't really evenly spread itself" is an understatement LMAO. It pins one core to 100% usage and the rest just hang out completely unaware there's a game running XD
10/03/2019 4:04 pm
Dynamisticality
I know lol hopefully mojang will fix this in the upcoming Bee update.
10/01/2019 1:22 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Architect
TomasDev
In my case, Minecraft eats a lot of RAM sadly.
10/01/2019 5:42 pm
Dynamisticality
Minecraft shouldn't eat a lot of ram, generally the game doesn't you can configure your ram in the JVM settings though. Just depends what you think is "a lot".
10/01/2019 7:09 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
Thonck
Here's what I've found about Minecraft recently. If you want to have a good multiplayer experience on the latest version, play on Bedrock Edition. If you are okay with using older versions of the game, use Java Edition. Bedrock seems to be much better when it comes to server lag or FPS in general because it was coded to do so.
10/03/2019 4:05 pm
Dynamisticality
I've personally never used bedrock, and I might try it however I prefer the flexibility java provides.
10/01/2019 6:52 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Slime Tamer
Wildcard_Gamer
I've seen little to no issues with performance, you should try optifine, besides that, 1.15 is going to help somewhat.
10/03/2019 4:05 pm
Dynamisticality
Well, we can just hope, and I'm talking server performance, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think optifine exists for servers..
10/03/2019 4:51 pm
Wildcard_Gamer
that's not what optifine is. optifine is a client mod that improves preformance and allows you to add shaders. You can use it on any server. That's not how it works. Look up optifine, then download the installer, then you can select it as a profile, assuming you know what that is.
10/01/2019 5:46 pm
Dynamisticality
It's also ridiculous that realms works, and then normal servers don't appear to. I think that its money involved with the realms which is most likely their main source of income besides new people buying a copy of the game.
10/01/2019 6:55 pm
Wildcard_Gamer
This is not true, a server works like any website, realms is no different. Realms is good because mojang puts good money to servers that work well. Sites like mcprohosting and stuff aren't as good for obvious reasons; they simply don't have as much resources for servers, because they are popular and can charge higher prices. They aren't purposefully making other servers worse, more so they are making realms better, while other servers cant handle it as much.
10/03/2019 4:07 pm
Dynamisticality
That's true but they aren't charging that much for them so they can't really be very good servers, they might cluster them though I don't know. I doubt they are making it worse and realms better, but I can tell something has happened with realms that multiplayer servers just don't have.
10/03/2019 4:52 pm
Wildcard_Gamer
no, it's simply that they are most likely making good servers, its for the same reason that big servers that do their own hosting tend to be better.
10/01/2019 3:20 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Thegamingkitty64
I thought a large portion of the idea of 1.15 was to fix the lag issues.

Planet Minecraft

Browse

Site

© 2010 - 2019
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome