Server setup discussion

planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter523428/14/14 12:34 pm
1 emeralds 167 2
8/14/2014 1:03 pm
planetminecrafter52342's Avatar planetminecrafter52342
I have been thinking, we don't really have a specific percentage that we should follow of players to staff, so why not discuss what is best for the server? Also maybe we should come up with a good way for people to begin a server. I find that to many servers start off with a ton of staff, and almost no players. I don't think any owner can't run a small server with up to 10 people on at a time, unless all the players are really demanding, and/or keep asking for help.

Basically, from what I can think of, Say a server has 50 players on average, I would say a good math algorithm is
math.ceil((Players / 20)*1.10) = 3
- math.ceil means to round the number to the next whole number. (That algorithm could be used in Lua)
That would be a good number of staff to players in my opinion. So assuming out of the 50 players, there are 3 staff among them. which puts it about 6% of the players, I personally think a server could manage that, depending on the server.

Here are some other calculations using that algorithm.
300 players - 17 staff - ~5% of the players. I would say 17 staff for 300 people online would be good.
20 players - 2 staff - 10% of the players.

Now remember, these calculations are only based on players at the time, so assuming the staff are not on 24/7, they would need more than that.
Lets say each staff stays on for 3 hours a day, that would put it that each of those amount of staff have to be multiplied by 8, but then we would also have to factor in the night time players, which are generally lower.

Maybe I am over-thinking it, but I think we should have a non-required standard that servers could follow to become better.
Posted by planetminecrafter52342's Avatar
planetminecrafter52342
Level 17 : Journeyman Zombie