Should there be Age limits on minecraft?

Pokezilla101's Avatar Pokezilla1016/22/16 4:21 pm
6/22/2016 11:19 pm
zombieslayer4324's Avatar zombieslayer4324
You are on your fav minecraft server, you have only played for a week now. Somone asks you your age, you say your age, and next thing you know, you are banned from that server because you were under aged. You are confused and ask why, why did I get banned? Across the minecraft universe I have seen so many minecraft servers with a age limit, but some are kids shows that every kid watches, and those are age limited.
I ask Planet minecraft, should minecraft servers have a age limit or restriction? Every day 10,000 games of minecraft are sold. Think of all the kids buying that game, and also all the teenagers also or adults. Think of how many minecraft servers there has to be, for that many people, and yet, so many have gotten taken down because people don't go on them.
Why people don't go on these servers you may ask? Here are a few reasons why some people may not go on these servers.
1. The main idea of the server
Ok, so there are minecraft servers out there of all types. But every person has a different like, and most of the same people will have a taste for the same thing.
2. Freedom and rules of the server
If you go on a minecraft server, you will want to most likely be free to build, explore, ect. But what if you couldn't do that, and you were pretty much told what to do. Like 'Mine this coal!' or 'Break this tree!'. People will most likely to leave that server if they get ruled around. And each person has something unique about them, and rules sortof control that. IF there are common yet kind rules that still let the player play free, then the player will most likely become ohana. If there are so many rules that you cannot count them even if you count to hundred, then the player will be more likely to leave.
3.Staff/player relationship
Every server has staff, I haven't ran into a server yet without staff. Players will be more likely to stay on that server if the staff be more kind and friendly to that new player, and that staff member respectively follows the rules of the server. If that new player comes across a minecraft server where the staff doesn't follow the rules, the staff is mean or salty towards the player, that could result in two things. 1. The player leaves never to come back 2. The player rebels and starts pretty much mirroring the rude staff, getting him/herself banned.
4. Type of roleplay(s)
In some servers, you may roleplay. Every minecraft roleplay server is different. Some have only 1 roleplay, others have multiple choices. I belive it is great to have more than 1 roleplay, because when that player gets sick of that roleplay, they can move onto another. 1 roleplay is also nice too, because then staff can keep the same name and you don't have to worry about forgetting one of that staff's name in every roleplay.

Minecraft is supposed to be a kid friendly game. I have seen minecraft servers that look pretty much illegal because of the actions within the game. I know those minecraft servers are for adults and older teenagers. But putting up server like this puts the kids at risk of learning how to disobey the laws in their state. I have even seen some servers that are based off of kids shows, yet they have age restrictions. This is why I belive that Age restrictions should not be allowed on every single server, and even the ones that have it for a good reason, should remember, there are still going to be kids going on the server. If your server has drugs, then ban the child, and start a whitelist. If you just have a age restriction for no reason, even though based off a child's show, than adjust those rules, to no age restriction.
Pokezilla101
Level 54 : Grandmaster Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/22/2016 11:19 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
zombieslayer4324
I could see why some might have this due to language and such to me is a fair choice since they pay for the server anyway.
06/22/2016 10:55 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Honestly, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that there is no reliable method available on the internet with which one can reliably gauge maturity. Grammar doesn't work, fandoms don't work, there's nothing that really works.

The point of this is that yeah, I think age restrictions are an okay thing to have. I mean, there's an ESRB and COPPA for a reason, even though our generation has straight-up curbstomped them and spit in their faces. (Not that that really applies to MC.) The 10-18 age range, which is the most heavily concentrated demographic for MC, is incredibly diverse, and should rarely, if ever, mingle in a mostly uncontrolled online circumstance, because developmentally they're hardly even the same species. So personally, I don't understand the issue with age restrictions. If there is one on a server, and you don't meet the requirement, you're probably not going to want to be there anyway. Either the owner has been wronged many times by others in your age range and doesn't want to take any more chances and thus will most likely treat with you justifiable prejudice, or they have a specific purpose for their server and want to be able to focus on that without any kind of communication barriers, such as not having been through a certain life experience or knowing the details of a certain concept. Either way, although a 10 year old and an 18 year old should have the same rights (they can still play on MC servers and aren't told which ones they have to play on), because the ages are so different, it's understandable that certain age ranges would want to isolate themselves from others.

TL:DR yes, age restrictions are situationally justifiable.
06/22/2016 10:38 pm
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
It's not a big deal, really.

Owners should be able to have an age restriction of their choice. If they want a more mature community on their server, it's their decision to do so.
06/22/2016 10:27 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dwarf
spires33
No it's up to the owner he can make it so everyone's skins have to have freaking turtleneck sweaters on if he wants.
I can understand, if i made a server i might put an age restriction on mine if immature people started to become a problem, you can't give each individual kid a chance.
06/22/2016 10:26 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
Pines
Nope.

Servers wouldn't have any people then

Most people that play Minecraft are 6-13
06/22/2016 10:12 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Mage
craftdiamonds
If the server has Age restrictions just dont go on it.
Mostley servers with age limits wont really be all that friendly due to age
06/22/2016 8:08 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Server owner's coice TBH. It's not right, but it's fair
06/22/2016 6:41 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
This is true for THE MAJORITY of people. Don't get offended if it doesn't apply to you, but it does for most people.

The younger you are, the less experience you have, and more annoying you are. We all thought we were mature when we were 10 but hardly any of us were.

No one bosses around kids just for being young on minecraft, the only "ageist" thing is not allowing younger players, which is acceptable in my opinion.

I don't complain about 18+ servers (I'm younger than 18) because I understand they're looking for an older and more mature group.

If a small server wants a nice calm community having a bunch of 8 year olds running around ruining stuff, or not knowing what to do, can be pretty annoying.

Pretty much 50% of what you said in that post is false, so I'm going to take all of that with a grain of salt. None of this is illegal, and I can pretty much guarantee you didn't research if it was or not, you just slapped that onto the post for emphasis.
06/22/2016 5:50 pm
Level 1 : New Network
zJohnny9897
Well, If you run a minecraft server , you can do anything you want with it as long as it agrees and follows the terms and service of EULA.;;....
06/22/2016 5:33 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
This is worded weirdly. At first I thought you meant something along the lines of "should Minecraft have an age minimum" but then realized you were complaining about privately owned servers instead.

Yes. Server owners own and maintain their servers independantly and restricting acess to their server based on age doesn't breach the EULA, nor should it. It's their business as to why they're placing that restriction on their server, regardless of whether or not you agree with it, and it's their right to do so. There are plenty of other servers for you to join if one doesn't suit your needs.
06/22/2016 5:08 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
Of course there shouldn't be age limits on Minecraft, but if the server owners want certain ages than that is there decision..
Honestly though I've played this game for a long time and have never been confronted about my age. Maybe roleplay servers? They probably have good reason, and I'm sure its most definitely not a professional server, so just look for another server.
06/22/2016 5:04 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
I don't really see an issue with it if the server makes it very clear from the get go.
If it's just a rule somewhere then I can see how that would be very annoying, but generally on bigger servers I've seen groups of the older players get on so much better so if they want to create a server for that age group, why not?
If I wanted to join a server for the community aspect I'd probably join one with an older player base.
06/22/2016 4:53 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Narwhal
Hockeybuilder07
So you mean age minimum?
06/22/2016 4:52 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
There would be no way to prove that you are actually that age. Let's say the admin asks if I am above 13 and I say that I am 14 years of age but in reality, I am only 7 years of age. Also i think that most of the people that play Minecraft are under the age of 13.
06/22/2016 4:38 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
No, there isn't suppost to be an age limit.

that sound like ageism , some people got.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome