Skins vs projects whats better

dbran1's Avatar dbran12/16/13 2:57 pm
2/20/2013 4:26 pm
dbran1's Avatar dbran1
hi i want to talk about reasons why projects or skins are better than each other

i belive that projects take more skill than any skin 5 reasons;
1. skins are 2d where projects are 3d
2. skins have a limited amount of pic's where a project has endless amount of blocks
3. you will make more projects than skins you use whilst playing minecraft
4. minium time to make a skin is 15 min where a project is at least 1h
5. its minecraft not skincraft to make a skin you dont even play the game

i belive that pmc's reward system for skins compaired to projects should be lowered
if you devided the reward for skins by 100 you would be more accurate to the atual skill lvl involved in the creation of your submistion

there are far too many skins out there compaired to projects on pmc for this reason

i have nothing aganced skiners i want you to argue your point because project builders are beeing nerfed and i think thats wrong the rewards should be greater
for things that take more skill ie projects

if you have any facts or points to make upon the subject please post below iv said what i need to. so whats your thorts on the subject ?
dbran1
Level 37 : Artisan Demolitionist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/20/2013 4:26 pm
dbran1
i agree that both take alot of skill no argument i do agree its equl
but i also beleve that (certain) projects contain alot more information than any skin can
one way to notice this is the size of the mc scermatic vs the size of the skin file
the projects alot more info but i agree to dissagree no problems ;-]

i would like the votes to be fixed it would be an interesting outcome to this thread
and i also thort the thread was closed but its of no matter XD

all idears thorts wanted. be nice and just share your oppinion on the subject thanks for viewing ;]
02/20/2013 12:56 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Blob
P1gtails
This is all a matter of opinion. One will never be definitively "better" or "harder" than the other. There are plain skins that take 10 minutes, and ones that take hours to shade. There are simple dirt houses, and then there are awesome castles. Just because there are some bad skins you think that the experience received should be divided by 100? Where does that leave anyone with a slight amount of skill?
02/19/2013 6:23 pm
dbran1
my last point on the subject a pc uses information to make any and everything on it
projects take more infomation than skins for a reason its because they are just that more complex than skins you can use this princable on nearly every thing you use on a computer ie games the better the game the more info it requires 9 times out of ten this is true
they both may take the same amount of time to create but ones defo more complex than the other in my oppinion.
ps the votes were in 60 percent for projects 40 percent for skins
until pmc fixes the votes so we can vote again i still think projects are winning vote wise
02/19/2013 6:33 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
I thought this thread got locked...

Anyway, I really don't see why you feel as though you have to argue this point so avidly. Both take skill.

Just because projects take more data to save doesn't make them better. Believe me, skinning and fitting a lot of detail into a very small space takes a lot of imagination and effort. Projects take a lot of color and texture coordination and imagination as well. Bigger =/= Better. Quantity =/= Quality.

I would understand putting out a simple poll to see what people think, but you seem to be trying to bash skinners by saying their work is inferior to the work of those who upload projects.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been locked for fear of people coming in here and flaming...
02/18/2013 3:24 am
Level 28 : Expert Unicorn
Teckhe
My opinion? They are both the same. Maybe skinning a bit more then projects. For projects a dirt house doesn't take an hour and for a skin to take 15 minutes? Those are blah. Skins and projects are leveled in my opinion. It at kes skill to make certain projects (modern, medieval, etc.) And it takes skill to brainstorm ideas, shade, and layout a skin. Take this to your head and think about it.
02/18/2013 2:59 am
dbran1
i dont expect anything to change with pmc and how its run.
so dont be worried about what you have created things will continue as normal on pmc.

but if you dont agree with me atleast explain why that is and give me the fact of why i am wrong. you may not like what iv said but i am explaining the facts of why i think that way
and my reasoning behind it.

i dont mind be proven wrong with facts but to call me dum is your mistake because all that is is spam and has no facts to this argument nor weight to your side of the argument between skins and projects.

in order to help your side of the argument and add content to your words use facts and reasons i dont dislike anyone nor will i after this argument were all masters in are own works and you should be happy for that alone.

you may quote me but can you prove me wrong.
02/18/2013 2:32 am
dbran1
not to be insulting but the soup and other mod skinners have fucked with the votes
projects were winning and the votes were showing that.

and this whole conversation it to find out the facts which supports your side of the vote
and skinners have still not come up with a single fact that wasent already said
please figger out some and add content to your side of the argument

im classing the art side of things between skins and projects to be equil because you can not juge art!!. all things take time art has no limmit of time because you can rework
the same little area and class the whole project/skin as something new.
i will say 1 thing by law it must be over 50 percent diffrent to be classed as something new by another person regardless of the orignal content involved its a new creation.

my biggest point that im saying is other than art which both skins and projects are what else are they due to redstone and the abuility to create new things that way and the abuilty to build every skin out there in a single project proves that projects have more to them than skins.

art may take a long time to create and may be as difficult as you want but when every thing you create is in a world of creation. your creation becomes a spec in a vast pool
of creation. not 1 thing created can compair to the world it came from. because without that world there would not be anything but with out your creation it continues
regardless.
02/17/2013 2:34 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Dragonborn
xray2012
ooo hell no projects are winning
02/17/2013 2:15 pm
Level 80 : Elite Grump
Cipher_Punk
dbran1hi i want to talk about reasons why projects or skins are better than each other
i belive that pmc's reward system for skins compaired to projects should be lowered
if you devided the reward for skins by 100 you would be more accurate to the atual skill lvl involved in the creation of your submistion
there are far too many skins out there compaired to projects on pmc for this reason
i have nothing aganced skiners i want you to argue your point because project builders are beeing nerfed and i think thats wrong the rewards should be greater
for things that take more skill ie projects
if you have any facts or points to make upon the subject please post below iv said what i need to. so whats your thorts on the subject ?

[yt]5hfYJsQAhl0[/yt]
02/16/2013 8:03 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
dbran1
3. skinning is not playing minecraft thats why they have more skins ps how often do you use them honestly ?

So, let's see, under this logic texture packs, mods and blog should also not gain XP. Also, did you know you can make a build and never log on to MC using MCEdit? I could be a good builder and literally never have been on Minecraft before.

Considering this argument is just you being mad that skinners get as much recognition as builders do, I'm locking this thread. PMC does not and never will 'favorite' one type of submission over another.
02/16/2013 7:55 pm
Azie
dbran1how may skins do you atuly use i dont use many myself 7 max 1 per day per week

A lot of people, those who play RP servers in particular, have many, many skins for any situation. Even I have 5 - 6 versions of my skin for different occasions.
02/16/2013 7:43 pm
Level 21 : Expert Lumberjack
Aeons
bgwooSkins are good for people who like making things in a short time.

- bgwoo

Good skins take 1-2 hours to make.

-1b8
02/16/2013 7:39 pm
Level 82 : Elite Architect
lynchyinc
As a project maker I can safely say my skinning skills are abysmal compared to the talented skinners out there; many skinners spend months honing their skills.

Skinners put just as much work into their submissions as project makers and the community respects that - hence why the majority of them have a huge amount of subscribers - take Leostereo for example; he has almost 4,000 subscribers - which is almost double the amount that builders like myself and block_fortress have.

In regards to the points you make;

1. skins are 2d where projects are 3d

I don't even....
2. skins have a limited amount of pic's where a project has endless amount of blocks

Surely this is a weighted advantage in favour of projects - a project maker gets 20 chances to show off their submission as best as they can; with an amazing main picture if they have time; a skinner must rely on their artwork without any editing whatsoever.

3. you will make more projects than skins you use whilst playing minecraft
Skinners on the site have a lot more submissions than the average project maker.

4. minium time to make a skin is 15 min where a project is at least 1h
I can't comment on skin makers in general, but as a moderator, I've seen multiple drafts of skins that people use before submitting a final submission - going over their work and retexturing certain parts over and over until it's perfect

5. its minecraft not skincraft to make a skin you dont even play the game
A skin could be seen as an extension of your personality in the game - you have the opportunity to be whoever you want in the world of minecraft; the first impression you make on a server when you meet other players is the skin that you wear.
02/16/2013 7:51 pm
dbran1
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
1.skins are 2 dimensions projects are 3 dimensions
2. skins have a limited amount of pics
making them easyer to fit in a single picture due to the lack of content in the size
3. skinning is not playing minecraft thats why they have more skins ps how often do you use them honestly ?
4.to make the most simplest skin you leave it blank it will do to make the simplest project you must at least place 1 block like changeing a pic on ur skin
5. how may skins do you atuly use i dont use many myself 7 max 1 per day per week
02/16/2013 7:31 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
Points in conversation...

1. min. 15 minutes? That is for a crappy skin with no thought... some my skins take a stiff arm, bad back in the end, too... and maybe 2 hours... and inspiration wise, It can take up to 3 days before I complete a skin...

2. uh, no... some people have a different skin for every single moment (mining,farming,pvp,building,redstoning,etc)

3. Actually, skins are made FOR the game, so its kind of like a custom add-on to the game, like texture packs, but on a smaller scale

4.No, the points system should not be changed... Then I guess you would be judged by your profession, discouraging people to skin...

5.Just like above, If the rewards system was different, thats like saying all the famous skinners are not as good as the builders, even if the skinner are way higher level... And that would also increase build spam on noobs and trolls

6. more skill for projects? Dude, It takes me less then 30 seconds to build a simple house, and 20-30 to make a simple mansion with rooms and dining room, and a bathroom with and escape hatch plumbing... But skins? Sometimes Im stuck on ideas for skins and working on skins for above 3 hours at max...

7.no there is nothing else, you have missed nothing, and you should not of made this silly thread in the first place... It is just dieing to turn into a flame war (p.s. I think it already has )
02/16/2013 7:23 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
Ask many good builders and they'd say a skin is much harder to make than a build for them. The same goes for many good skinners in regards to building. The difficulty something is to create is completely subjective and we're not going to change the XP system because it's harder for some people to build than to make skins.
02/16/2013 7:24 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Miner
PhD
That was.... beautifully said!
02/16/2013 7:23 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Baconator
buford_III
builds. definently builds
02/16/2013 7:20 pm
Level 60 : High Grandmaster Hero
bgwoo
This is a stupid argument. Good Skinners and Good Builders both take some skill. I suck at both at them. Skins are good for people who like making art and like making things in a short time. Building is good for people who like to make stuff in game and are patient to make it look good. Either way, it's just a matter of a opinion.

- bgwoo
02/16/2013 7:20 pm
Level 47 : Master Princess
Whoever01
Ever heard of blogs?
02/16/2013 7:07 pm
Aeons
planetblox2000-_- Builders are not being "nerfed". Your just saying that because your projects arent getting as much attention as you want.

Exactly.
02/16/2013 6:57 pm
Level 24 : Expert Lumberjack
Casval
Projects take a while but its hard to re-post them while skins get stolen, edited, and re-posted faster than you can say "MOTHER (obscure profanity)" and its hard to edit a project cause it might break the red stone (if there is any that is).
so i go with projects
02/16/2013 6:50 pm
dbran1
yes i do agree Azie they both are works of art .
but other than art what else are they
a project has that advantage its art with extra uses
like a bace or a home whilst in game and lots more i find theres more things to consider when building a good project with like redstone and layout of such within a build
(not going on to mods but )
mods there alot of code , code of which made the game in the first place and the pc you play it on and most, if not all devices within the world we use now.
the difficulity lvl of the 3 is not the same as each other regardless of time.
for instance when on chat what do you see advertised the most ? the thing thats the most common is what take the least amount of time and effort to create fact.
im not saying which of the 3 that is you can see for your self.
but if all were the same skill they would be posted as often as each of the others
correct ?
02/16/2013 6:18 pm
Azie
Between Skins and Projects, I can't choose the better one.

Skins are a lot smaller of a space so you have to be good at shading and have a lot of imagination to be able to add the details you want. Good skins, for me at least, take 1-2 hours + however long it takes to make tweaks until I'm happy with them. Even my simpler skins took me at least 45 minutes.

Projects are can be as big as you want and you have plenty of space to do what you want, artistically. There are so many amazing builds on PMC... They all easily compare to some of the top skins on this site.

It all depends on how good of an artist you are.
02/16/2013 6:14 pm
dbran1
yo mods werent even in the argument yes they take effort and skill and should have something to say but can we please keep this between projects and skins
and stay on subject please. thanks and please be nice to each other theres no need to be offencive.
and 1b8 1 thing iv got to say to you this whole conversation is to find out what takes more skill projects or skins not to compaire my self with others who oviously have been doing there creations for time.
please stick to the facts.
skins are more about what looks right as a skin where as a project will be how it looks how it works and what it can do.
im just pointing out the facts!!!!
it would be nice if pmc made the point system more even baced on skill lvl.
if you want to defend skinning no problems why is it more skill full give us the facts!!!
02/16/2013 7:11 pm
Aeons
Again, good skins and good projects take a more or less equal amount of skill (depending on how good the skin is/how big/how much redstone is in a project. I'm not against projects, I'm just against you saying that all projects take more skill than skins just so your builds can get more attention. I'm a redstone engineer myself, I just don't like it when people do stuff like that.

-1b8
02/16/2013 3:59 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pirate
Lorn77
Well it would depend on your real life workload and how thorough job you do, same as anything else.
02/16/2013 3:39 pm
Lorn77
A brain is required for modding... <sarcasm> Who woulda guessed?! </sarcasm> lol
02/16/2013 3:38 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Modder
duke_Frans
Mods, they take actual months of coding, and require some sort of logc/brain.
02/16/2013 3:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
RiotShielder
Months?? Not very many require months, most mods are made in 1 day to 2 weeks.
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
Except for the "NEW TOOLZ LOLZ" mods.. :3
02/16/2013 3:40 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Modder
ehdfawq3er
Well, atleast they require some sort of thinking, wich you probably can't handle, little Vaxi
02/16/2013 3:41 pm
Level 47 : Master Spelunker
vaxivop
*ahem* mod makers *caugh caugh*
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Modder
ehdfawq3er
True true... =)
02/16/2013 3:35 pm
Lorn77
Each can both take a lot of time to master and make good projects/skins. I think you can't really compare them because they're so different. They take different kinds of skills into consideration.
02/16/2013 3:14 pm
Level 42 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
planetblox2000
-_- You serious? Skins take way more skill than projects. And builders are not being "nerfed". Your just saying that because your projects arent getting as much attention as you want.
02/18/2013 2:37 am
Level 41 : Master Taco
failtolawl
As somebody who can make skins and maps. I would say that projects in the 3d realm with far fewer "blocks" can be much harder than a 2d image with infinitely many colors/shades.
02/16/2013 3:11 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Blockhead
minthus
if you make a really really good project then its worth more than 100 skins so its better to make big projects like enivorements and etc
02/16/2013 3:08 pm
Aeons
Er... min. skin time is 15 min?
That only applies to really really really bad skins.
Skins that are actually good take at least an hour.
Project at least 1 hour? I know a few projects that only take a few minutes that are quite good.

"i belive that pmc's reward system for skins compaired to projects should be lowered
if you devided the reward for skins by 100 you would be more accurate to the atual skill lvl involved in the creation of your submistion"
Good skins can take a lot more skill than projects.
"i have nothing aganced skiners i want you to argue your point because project builders are beeing nerfed and i think thats wrong the rewards should be greater
for things that take more skill ie projects"
You're just saying these things because you make projects and you want people to think you're skilled. "i have nothing aganced skiners"
Obviously you do have something against skinners, as you're constantly criticizing really really really good skinners like Halucid or Leostereo, who are MUCH better than you (these are just examples, there are a lot more good skinners on PMC). And again;
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome